Rangers fans

mouse

It's tradition. Why stop the "Rangers suck!" chant?

But I will say, the "Rangers suck!" chant every 5 minutes throughout 3 periods (especially when losing) is the dumbest most embarrassing thing our fans do sometimes. C'mon (dude whistling), learn how to know when a joke is dead.

I've been going to Devils games for about 20 years now.  This "tradition" of the Rangers Suck chants only go back about 10 years at most.  Plus when they used to do it, only a handful of people would chant it and not a quarter of the arena.  Only since the move to Newark do I hear them now going at least 3 times a period.

To sum it up, it's not a tradition.

Please stop it.

Amen.    It's not a tradition, it's an embaressment.

That still doesn't make it relevent at all.

Let the Rangers and their fans have their dumb "traditions."  Just ripping one of theirs off for the past 8-10 years doesn't make ours right or better.

I swear every year I hear more of the Rangers suck chants than I do of "Let's go Devils" and it just shows what a huge inferiority complex our fanbase has.

Also shows that you don't really have to understand hockey to buy tickets.

You guys are overreacting, get off your high horse. "Embarrassing" is all the years we couldn't pack out our own arena for a Rangers-Devils or Rangers-Flyers game or having Rangers/Flyers fans buy out whole sections of our arena on StubHub during a playoff series wins. That's embarrassing.

But now you got people overreacting to the "Henrique! Henrique! Henrique!" chant last year (saying that it was a taunt/ripoff of the Rangers' "Henrik!" chant) and the "Rangers suck!" chant, others complaining that Baumann's chant is done one or two too many times per game, etc..  Then there were people making fun of the high school band/drumline guys last playoff as "busch league" and the Red Bulls Viking Army singing soccer songs, people made fun of them. Sometimes I think you guys would prefer 9,000 quiet people sitting on their hands every night.

Take the bad with the good. Be happy that we're not a New York or a Toronto whose fans have been entirely priced out. Real great "hockey tradition" there. The average fan or family who wants to go see a hockey game in New Jersey can afford to go and it just so happens that we've had better attendance this past two years than usual. Stop looking for things to complain about.

Unless we start hearing horror stories like Philly, where people are throwing up on little girls, or throwing lit cigarrettes, or starting fights in the parking lot, I'm very happy and proud of our fanbase... A "Rangers suck! Flyers swallow!" chant done a tasteful amount of times has become a funny tradition. If someone does it too many times, sure it's a little annoying, but don't join in; it's not the worst thing.

Edited by DJ Eco

You guys are overreacting, get off your high horse. "Embarrassing" is all the years we couldn't pack out our own arena for a Rangers-Devils or Rangers-Flyers game or having Rangers/Flyers fans buy out whole sections of our arena on StubHub during a playoff series wins. That's embarrassing.

But now you got people overreacting to the "Henrique! Henrique! Henrique!" chant last year (saying that it was a taunt/ripoff of the Rangers' "Henrik!" chant) and the "Rangers suck!" chant, others complaining that Baumann's chant is done one or two too many times per game, etc..  Then there were people making fun of the high school band/drumline guys last playoff as "busch league" and the Red Bulls Viking Army singing soccer songs, people made fun of them. Sometimes I think you guys would prefer 9,000 quiet people sitting on their hands every night.

Take the bad with the good. Be happy that we're not a New York or a Toronto whose fans have been entirely priced out. Real great "hockey tradition" there. The average fan or family who wants to go see a hockey game in New Jersey can afford to go and it just so happens that we've had better attendance this past two years than usual. Stop looking for things to complain about.

Unless we start hearing horror stories like Philly, where people are throwing up on little girls, or throwing lit cigarrettes, or starting fights in the parking lot, I'm very happy and proud of our fanbase... A "Rangers suck! Flyers swallow!" chant done a tasteful amount of times has become a funny tradition. If someone does it too many times, sure it's a little annoying, but don't join in; it's not the worst thing.

Let me go down the list:

1) Henrique chant: No real issues with that.

2) Ranger's Suck chant:  Not a tradition as it is fairly new and is to the point where it is done more at the games than a "Let's go Devils" chant.  What does that tell you about a fan base where they rather hate on another team than support their own.  It's neither original nor funny or tasteful in any way and never was.

3) Baumann chant: Baumann used to do it only once a game (usually second period and sometimes third).  He knew doing it more than that would be beating a dead horse and it made the chant extra special.  Now that it is done 3-6 times a game with guys who cannot even get the timing right makes it just another chant.

4) Drumline: It's ok.  What is bush league are the Beatles and Springsteen cover band nights.

5) Red Bull Vikings:  Looks great when we need the fan club of another team from another sport's help to get the crowd to cheer for our own team.  At least they would rather cheer FOR their team and not AGAINST the other.

6) We sold out a majority of the games this year and guess what: No one got priced out!  There are also some other teams who sell out on a regular basis yet keep the cost at least somewhat reasonable.  You just cherry-picked the two worst offenders with Toronto and the Rangers.

7) I have seen Devils fans harassing others and getting into fights as much as any other fanbase.  Philly fans are always going to be the worst but that doesn't mean we are angels either.

I love how a thread about Ranger fans has turned into one of self-loathing Devils fans bashing other Devils fans.  Talk about an inferiority complex.  If you can't make a thread bagging on Rangers fans in a Devils forum (which basically has 98.5% Devils fans posting in it) without the holier than thou police coming, where can you?  

I'm not saying we're better than them by large, at least not in terms of drunken behavior.  If anything Flyer and Hab fans are worse than us or Ranger fans in different ways.  Ranger fans can be funny in their ignorance more than anything, and the fact they hero-worship Avery speaks volumes.  It's just that sometimes around here people really need to give the devils' (non) advocate arguments a break.  I don't really know of another fanbase that bashes itself as much as Devil fans do.

I understand being annoyed over some of the stuff other Devil fans do but 'Rangers Suck, Flyers Swallow' while I may think it's stupid (particularly the latter part) it's not interfering with my enjoyment of the game.  I'd prefer that any day than some of the jerkoffs who constantly bag on the team and certain players left and right...that got pretty bad at times in 120 this year.  But other than that, or clowns who get violent/embarassingly drunk and scream nonsense in my ear, I really don't care what anyone else does at a game.

Edited by NJDevs4978

I love how a thread about Ranger fans has turned into one of self-loathing Devils fans bashing other Devils fans.  Talk about an inferiority complex.  If you can't make a thread bagging on Rangers fans in a Devils forum (which basically has 98.5% Devils fans posting in it) without the holier than thou police coming, where can you?  

I'm not saying we're better than them by large, at least not in terms of drunken behavior.  If anything Flyer and Hab fans are worse than us or Ranger fans in different ways.  Ranger fans can be funny in their ignorance more than anything, and the fact they hero-worship Avery speaks volumes.  It's just that sometimes around here people really need to give the devils' (non) advocate arguments a break.  I don't really know of another fanbase that bashes itself as much as Devil fans do.

I understand being annoyed over some of the stuff other Devil fans do but 'Rangers Suck, Flyers Swallow' while I may think it's stupid (particularly the latter part) it's not interfering with my enjoyment of the game.  I'd prefer that any day than some of the jerkoffs who constantly bag on the team and certain players left and right...that got pretty bad at times in 120 this year.  But other than that, or clowns who get violent/embarassingly drunk and scream nonsense in my ear, I really don't care what anyone else does at a game.

Believe me when I have to explain to people whose first hockey game is a Devils vs anyone other than the Rangers game and they hear the Rangers Suck chant and they ask why we chant that when we are not even playing them, it is not exactly something I look forward to explaining.  It doesn't ruin the game for me but I do feel a tiny bit emabrassed about it and especially since like I have said a few times just before that I hear that more often now than "Let's go Devils" chants.

Also it seems like every year I see more and more drunk violent fans at the game.  This is not strictly a Devils phenomena, it does make the game far less enjoyable for me.

The worst of all by far are the women who always seem to sit right behind me and are screaming throughout the entire game "Ssssshhooooooooootttt!" or "Aw my gawd! What the hell is he doin?" with their thick, shrilly Jersey accent.

Amen. 

Again, that has more to do with geography.   If the Devils played in NYC they would be the darlings of the media.

As a hockey fan, you should have enough intelligence to consider the source of those minor achievements compared to the Devils achievements. 

That doesn't excuse the insecurity of the Devil "fans" screaming out "Rangers suck" during a Senators/Devils game.    It's the equivalent of going out on a date, getting drunk and having your date talk about his/her ex- all night, 

Well yeah obviously it's because of geography, but I really don't think you can blame Devils fans for being pissed off about it.

I do think the Rangers suck chant would be fine if it were done like once a game, anything more than that is excessive.  However, I'm pretty sure I have yet to attend a game at the Prudential Center where I didn't spot some tool in a Rangers jersey even when the Devils aren't playing the Rangers, and the Rangers are playing a game of their own at the same time.

They are insufferable on social media. People who haven't watched 30 seconds of hockey this decade are suddenly lifelong fans.

This is pretty much how it is for every city with any sports team. Rangers fans are no different than people in Ottawa right now or Miami, Memphis, Indiana,, etc. 

Had a discussion with a Rangers fan at the gym this morning about their game last night.  And then it moved onto matchups.  We talked about how the Rangers matched up with Boston, and how they would match up against Pitt.  Conversation was going good, I wasn't being a homer and giving credit to Hank where credit was due.  I mentioned that Devils were a better matchup against Pitt than the Rangers, and then it went south.  "Well, thats because the Devils play that Trap system right?"  :doh1:  :argh:

My response was "Yeah they did, like a decade ago, not anymore" 

"Oh, I don't really watch any of their games"

All in all, the guy is a nice guy and not a homer, but it is amazing how a lot of fans don't really pay attention to any other games other than the Rangers, and still go by the media sh!t that was put out a decade ago.

Had a co-worker come up to me today talking about the Rangers.  He is not a hockey guy at all as he is a basketball fan, but loves any team with the word "New York" in their name.  We talked about the next round and he says to me "Everyone has been saying from the start of the season that the Rangers are a team that was built more for the playoffs than regular season."  I told him no one said that up until 10:30PM last night after the Rangers won their game and it is all Rangers fans and NY media saying that.

At least he admitted that he didn't really listed to them much but for them to start making up sh!t like that is ridiculous but unfortunately believable.

Had a co-worker come up to me today talking about the Rangers.  He is not a hockey guy at all as he is a basketball fan, but loves any team with the word "New York" in their name.  We talked about the next round and he says to me "Everyone has been saying from the start of the season that the Rangers are a team that was built more for the playoffs than regular season."  I told him no one said that up until 10:30PM last night after the Rangers won their game and it is all Rangers fans and NY media saying that.

At least he admitted that he didn't really listed to them much but for them to start making up sh!t like that is ridiculous but unfortunately believable.

The NY media says ridiculous sh!t like that and kind of makes it up as they go along because a vast majority of the Rangers' fanbase wouldn't know a puck from their a$$holes and the media knows that, and they know the fans will eat up whatever they say. I'm surprised they haven't tried to say Lundqvist played with the flu or something just so they could try and pump his tires even more lol.

Everybody called them a serious Top 2 or 3 contender in the East. After their first month, they completely fell off the media's radar though..

Everybody called them a serious Top 2 or 3 contender in the East. After their first month, they completely fell off the media's radar though..

Contender yes but no one ever said they were a team built for the playoffs and not regular season.  Thats Rags fans and NY media trying to justify the piss-poor first half they had.

Unbelievable. Built for the playoffs my ass. He, like most rag 'fans', didnt follow the season and is using some filler, broad statement hoping that it would pass. Some people want to do a circle jerk anytime they see the words 'New York'

Edited by devlman

Contender yes but no one ever said they were a team built for the playoffs and not regular season.  Thats Rags fans and NY media trying to justify the piss-poor first half they had.

No, I agree, that's just filling in the blanks by bandwagon fans and New York media that haven't been covering/watching hockey the past 3 weeks... Considering 1/3 their team are former Columbus Blue Jackets now, saying they're "built for the playoffs" is actually pretty ironic!

I once saw someone light a cigarette inside the Rock, it was pretty funny. Her and the guy with her looked completely out of place, your typical hip-hop look, baggy clothes, gaudy accessories, the woman was straight white trash, she was plastered and just lit one up until the old lady behind me decided she was having none of it, except the woman would not cool with being told to stop smoking.  Then security came and she was about to mouth off to them until the guy she was with got her to shut up, put it out and leave, lol. That's about as close to Philly as I think it gets here.

It was less embarrassing than it was funny, but it was just the perfect mix of chick who thinks she a 10 when she's really a 2 and being WAYYYY too drunk to be out in public.

i once went to a Devils-Rangers game at MSG with my dad when i was about 4, and the Devils kicked ass and won. everytime the devs would score i would jump up and cheer, and this DRUNK AS FU*K rangers fan (some lady) would yell "Shut that F**KING KID UP!" or "tell that little bastard to shut up!" and once she said "What kind of parent raises their kid to be a DEVILS FAN?"

another time my dad went to a Devils-Rangers game at MSG in 1997 where the Devils won, and when we scored, a Rags fan behind him would spill a little beer down my dads back. the first time my dad said "woah watch your beer there!" and the guy was all like "oh sorry man my bad!" second time: "hey careful with the beer!" "oh crap sorry buddy" third time: "watch your damn beer!" the guy takes a swing at my dad and they start fighting in the seats. my dads friend (rags fan) was yelling "oh sh!t" the whole time. NYC police had to escort my dad to the metro station and they bought him a ticket back to NJ and said "its for your own safety, sir" pops just says "because im a Devils fan?"

heres the kicker story:

i was 10 and me and my dad went to game 2 of the 2006 Eastern Quarterfinals where we swept the Rags. Devils are winning 2-0 entering the 3rd, so i ask if i can go watch the Rangers come out. i walk to the tunnel and as Weekes leads them out i just start lambasting the Rangers with insults and taunts, while the rest of Devils Army just stands there stunned! then some rangers player (cant remember who) looks up and starts to yell back, but when he sees its a 10 year old, the ENTIRE TEAM just bows their heads in shame and keep walking. Devils fans just start cheering me and high fiving me, it was a blast. then i come to realize my entire taunting episode was caught by a TV camera in the tunnel. I don't know where the footage went.

so yeah me and my dad have had a few clashes with Rags fans.