Rags fire Tortorella

'7'

Francesa just said that the firing really came together in the last 24 hours, that's why it's a conference call and not a press conference because it wasn't a planned event.

That's bush league, if true, you shouldn't make major changes in your organization without planning and discussion, even if ultimately one person makes the call.

Renney was also a defensive, or at least, trap oriented coach.  Rags also made it another round further with Torts.  A marginal improvement, but improvement nonetheless. 

Maybe it was a personality thing.  In the past, you had Torts throw Lunqvist under the bus when he went through cold streaks, which virtually every goalie does. 

The whole team changed.  The only guy left from the 2006 Rangers is Lundqvist.  So it's silly to just blanket say the Rangers were better under Tortorella - this year the Rangers put together a pretty good team on paper, it squeaked into the playoffs, it got probably the most favorable 1st round matchup (well okay 2nd most favorable, #1 would've been Toronto) and squeaked through that, then got pasted in round 2.  

Edited by Triumph

How I imagine a post-firing interview with Torts:

Stan - "John, do you think you would have done anything different with how you coached the Rangers?"

Torts - "Stan, I'm not going to go into how I coached or what I would do different...." <then proceeds to talk for 5 minutes on what we would have done differently.>

no he called it litteraly like 5 minutes before the official news broke out, not something he threw out there months ago

he announced it, then KathyStrang reported it and everyone re-tweeted her

Right. He sees other peoples speculation, and quickly says it's 'confirmed' before anyone confirms it. Then, he claims he had it first.

He also said Asomugha to the Jets was a done deal because speculation was high that the Jets were going for him, and sure enough he signed with Philly.

Additionally, he had Parise to the Penguins as a done deal. Afterwards, Parise said the Penguins weren't in the late running.

I actually enjoyed listening to Torts press conferences.....gonna miss those.

Almost nothing better than watching him deal with the media after a Rags loss. As much as he's a douche, he actually fun to watching during those press conferences.

I agree. I'm also bummed that I probably won't be able to dislike the next coach as much as I dislike him.

Still though he's great for a post game presser.

Fox Sports web site just posted a page full of presser clips from him. Great stuff.

people tend to sh&#33;t on this guy and make fun when his predictions doesnt happen and ignore it when he's right (which he's been quite a few times) but Incarceratedbob broke that news before anyone else.

The guy has zero sources, he never "calls" anything. 

In any event, I believe the Fan/Francesa broke it first.  That's probably where he got it from, considering bob is a sometimes WFAN caller.  At most, someone at the station who knows him told him.  More likely though he was just listening to the Fan and tweeted it immediately afterwards.

I actually enjoyed listening to Torts press conferences.....gonna miss those.

Almost nothing better than watching him deal with the media after a Rags loss. As much as he's a douche, he actually fun to watching during those press conferences.

I agree. I'm also bummed that I probably won't be able to dislike the next coach as much as I dislike him.

Still though he's great for a post game presser.

Fox Sports web site just posted a page full of presser clips from him. Great stuff.

Seems like the relationship between Lundqvist and Torts had something to do with this.  And it's not like Torts' teams were particularly great (having Lundqvist makes things a hell of a lot easier)...then again, it's not like his non-creative GM helps matters. 

It's funny, because some haters will point to Lundqvist's mediocre playoff record as a way of ripping him, but like Tri pointed out, the guy posted save%s of .931 and .934 in the last two playoff runs, and his team went 15-17.  He was the #1 reason the Rangers managed to play in 32 playoff games the past two seasons.

If this was a Lundqvist/Tortorella thing, the right guy won the battle.  But why the hell does Sather get to stay?  Why isn't that guy ever held accountable for anything?

FWIW, during the press conference, Sather mentioned that the goal is to sign Lunqvist to a long term extension.  So long as they show him the money, he's staying.

Admittedly, I'd be stunned if he ever left. 

FWIW, during the press conference, Sather mentioned that the goal is to sign Lunqvist to a long term extension.  So long as they show him the money, he's staying.

So has said every GM before a prized free agent leaves town, including Lou "Status Quo" Lamoriello before Parise left, and the Thrashers before Kovy was traded.

I think getting rid of Tortorella was a step in the right direction for Sather to re-sign Lundqvist, it's definitely linked. But it's not guaranteed.

Edited by DJ Eco

Seems like the relationship between Lundqvist and Torts had something to do with this. And it's not like Torts' teams were particularly great (having Lundqvist makes things a hell of a lot easier)...then again, it's not like his non-creative GM helps matters.

It's funny, because some haters will point to Lundqvist's mediocre playoff record as a way of ripping him, but like Tri pointed out, the guy posted save%s of .931 and .934 in the last two playoff runs, and his team went 15-17. He was the #1 reason the Rangers managed to play in 32 playoff games the past two seasons.

If this was a Lundqvist/Tortorella thing, the right guy won the battle. But why the hell does Sather get to stay? Why isn't that guy ever held accountable for anything?

FWIW, during the press conference, Sather mentioned that the goal is to sign Lunqvist to a long term extension. So long as they show him the money, he's staying.

Admittedly, I'd be stunned if he ever left.

Sather isn't held accountable because Dolan doesn't pay any attention to the Rangers and let's Sather run everything relating to hockey operations. This is why I hope Dolan owns the Garden for as long as he lives, preferably forever. Edited by MadDog2020

So has said every GM before a prized free agent leaves town, including Lou "Status Quo" Lamoriello before Parise left, and the Thrashers before Kovy was traded.

I think getting rid of Tortorella was a step in the right direction for Sather to re-sign Lundqvist, it's definitely linked. But it's not guaranteed.

Well Lou took virtually every reasonable effort to re-sign Parise, and Atlanta was prepared to give Kovalchuk $100 million over few years.  Now you have the new CBA which virtually guarantees that the Rangers won't get outbid money-wise. 

Sather isn't held accountable because Dolan doesn't pay any attention to the Rangers and let's Sather run everything relating to hockey operations. This is why I hope Dolan owns the Garden for as long as he lives, preferably forever.

I don't know whether Sather "demoted" himself, or whether it came from Dolan (I kind of doubt it), but I'm almost positive that Sather has basically ceded control of the draft, which, surprise, surprise, is an area that the Rangers have done pretty well at recently.

Well Lou took virtually every reasonable effort to re-sign Parise, and Atlanta was prepared to give Kovalchuk $100 million over few years.  Now you have the new CBA which virtually guarantees that the Rangers won't get outbid money-wise. 

I don't know whether Sather "demoted" himself, or whether it came from Dolan (I kind of doubt it), but I'm almost positive that Sather has basically ceded control of the draft, which, surprise, surprise, is an area that the Rangers have done pretty well at recently.

Parise had a chance to go home, and I think Kovy was tired of his team being irrelevant for just about his entire career there.  Going home isn't going to be a factor for Lundqvist, and the Rangers HAVE been competitive for a while now.  If they get a coach that Lundqvist likes, I just can't see him leaving.  As far as destinations go in the NHL, MSG is clearly one of the "sexier" places to go as a FA...unless Lundqvist decides that he's flat-out sick of New York and playing for the Rangers, it seems like all the Rangers have to do is make him a "we don't want to lose you at any cost" kind of deal.  I don't think Lundqvist is going to make this that hard for them. 

Don't get that at all.  Torts has a lot to do with Lunqvist's recent success.

I would think that a shot blocking and collapse around the net strategy would help the goalie.

Why, the point of having a great goalie isn't to go all out to protect him.    That's something you'd do if Clemmer was your goalie.   And hell, we didn't even do that with Clemmer as our goalie, we just tried to keep the puck away from him.