Summer 2013 UFA/RFA Thread

Derlique

I don't hate Langenbrunner but it's clear he didn't take aging well and he's obviously finished now.

Malkin signs 8 years, 76 million - pretty fair deal for all sides.  He would've gotten more had he gone UFA, but he's signing a year in advance.

I can't imagine that, unless there's a huge cap bump.  Seven years at $80 million . . . $11.4 million cap hit.  That's real steep, even for someone like Malkin.  Plus, while I don't have the inclination to look at the numbers, you don't have too many teams that can afford to pay that much with the cap space.  Detroit is the only team that comes to mind.  Unless you mean that he could have held out for more money from the Penguins. 

I can't imagine that, unless there's a huge cap bump.  Seven years at $80 million . . . $11.4 million cap hit.  That's real steep, even for someone like Malkin.  Plus, while I don't have the inclination to look at the numbers, you don't have too many teams that can afford to pay that much with the cap space.  Detroit is the only team that comes to mind.  Unless you mean that he could have held out for more money from the Penguins. 

I do not look at deals in terms of total money because with the new setup that is silly.  The only way Malkin loses money on a 7 year deal versus 8 is if he has a career-ending injury - the chances of which are not remote but not likely either.  Malkin could've easily gotten 7/70 from the UFA market (probably closer to 7/77) and it would take a career-ender for him to not be worth $6M in that last year.

I do not look at deals in terms of total money because with the new setup that is silly.  The only way Malkin loses money on a 7 year deal versus 8 is if he has a career-ending injury - the chances of which are not remote but not likely either.  Malkin could've easily gotten 7/70 from the UFA market (probably closer to 7/77) and it would take a career-ender for him to not be worth $6M in that last year.

Not necessarily.  He could turn out just to be a very average player by the time he's 35 or 36 when either deal would be ending.  And, 7/77 is pushing things so far as what cap number a team is willing to take. 

In the end though, the certainty he gets now is worth the the additional money he might be missing out on 8 years down the road.  So it's really just an academic point.

nice to see the penguins are getting things done good for them.. i swear if we lose elias and clarkson to free agency because someone was taking their time dragging their feet ill lose it.. if a deal cant be made a deal cant be made and let the fans know whats going on.. sick of losing quality players

nice to see the penguins are getting things done good for them.. i swear if we lose elias and clarkson to free agency because someone was taking their time dragging their feet ill lose it.. if a deal cant be made a deal cant be made and let the fans know whats going on.. sick of losing quality players

There are a good amount of times letting go of a quality player now is better in the long run.

Take Brian Gionta for example.  If you look at his deal for $5 million each if I remember correctly, that kinda stung.  But just think how he will be compared to that salary in the last year of his deal.  Now it looks awful.  I am not upset by him leaving.

Not necessarily.  He could turn out just to be a very average player by the time he's 35 or 36 when either deal would be ending.  And, 7/77 is pushing things so far as what cap number a team is willing to take. 

In the end though, the certainty he gets now is worth the the additional money he might be missing out on 8 years down the road.  So it's really just an academic point.

Great players always get the benefit of the doubt.  I bet Jarome Iginla makes 4.5M per on his new deal wherever he signs even though he is an average player now.

There are a good amount of times letting go of a quality player now is better in the long run.

Take Brian Gionta for example.  If you look at his deal for $5 million each if I remember correctly, that kinda stung.  But just think how he will be compared to that salary in the last year of his deal.  Now it looks awful.  I am not upset by him leaving.

I, personally, was never upset by it. I didn't think he was worth $5M then, still don't now.

Great players always get the benefit of the doubt.  I bet Jarome Iginla makes 4.5M per on his new deal wherever he signs even though he is an average player now.

True, although Iginla has that "leadership" quality that Malkin probably never will be perceived as having.  But if a 39 year old Sergei Gonchar is getting 5 million a year.... 

No use getting all flustered about things. This is how the NHL works, and especially Devils. It's not like other sports where you know who is signing where and for how much weeks before it happens.

True, although Iginla has that "leadership" quality that Malkin probably never will be perceived as having.  But if a 39 year old Sergei Gonchar is getting 5 million a year.... 

This seems nuts to me, $5M for Gonchar? For a while at the beginning Gonchar even struggled in Ottawa, IIRC. Maybe someone else can elaborate or correct me.

This seems nuts to me, $5M for Gonchar? For a while at the beginning Gonchar even struggled in Ottawa, IIRC. Maybe someone else can elaborate or correct me.

I guess the way Dallas sees it is that it will not be close to being a cap team anytime soon even with Gonchar, who I seem to recall was playing better anyway.   

I guess the way Dallas sees it is that it will not be close to being a cap team anytime soon even with Gonchar, who I seem to recall was playing better anyway.   

They did put that out clause in there about him having an NMC, but not during a short window around the trade deadline in the 2nd year. So I guess that's good reassurance for Dallas if his play goes south fast.

Malkin is one of the top 3 players in the entire world and this deal was done a year in advance and the Pens still have lots of decisions to make. Ray Shero is breathing a little easier with this deal, but they're likely going to have to offload Letang and others because of this contract. I have a feeling we're losing one of Elias or Clarkson, and if Clarkson leaves and gets $5M+ from the Red Wings or Maple Leafs, LET HIM GO. Elias is also 37 years old and while I feel he's sort of like our Mariano Rivera at this point, anything more than $5M for him would be robbery on his part. I don't want Elias to leave and can swallow Gonchar-like $ #'s for him (even a little more), but I don't want this team hamstrung with bad contracts, especially not to David fvcking Clarkson, who has been playing better the last couple of years, but is still a gaffe machine.

Personally, if I'm Clarkson, I'm totally playing the open market. He'd be a fool not to and his agent would be a fool not to let him. This is a very weak UFA pool and the NHL GMs have shown their willingness to toss bad contracts around. It says a lot about the quality of the pool when David Clarkson is one of the so-called top names available. I think he's as good as gone unless  his heart really is here, and even there I think we'll be overpaying.

Its not always Lou's or the team's fault. I blame Lou for waiting so long on Niedermayer, but since then the good players we have lost, some of, if not all of the damn blame has to fall on them. Not everybody wants to stay here. Also, "let the fans know whats going on", this team have never done that. NEVER. Once you accept that, the offseason becomes a lot easier to deal with. The Devils organization is like a mafia. There are rarely any leaks and if there are rumors of that sort they come from the other side.

Also, "let the fans know whats going on", this team have never done that. NEVER. Once you accept that, the offseason becomes a lot easier to deal with. The Devils organization is like a mafia. There are rarely any leaks and if there are rumors of that sort they come from the other side.

Exactly. Sometimes it's like people haven't been fans of the team before 5 mins ago. This is what it's like every year. If you're not used to it by now and realize it has NOTHING TO DO WITH WHETHER OR NOT WE LOSE OR DON'T LOSE A PLAYER, then you seriously have not been paying attention.

Damn, I'm kinda upset that they resigned Malkin.  Was hoping he would move so the Penguins would look a little more human.  9.5m seems like a pretty good deal for a franchise player, considering Perry got, what, 8.6?

It must be nice to be able to sign your star players a year in advance.

Take this for what it's worth - but a rumor was posted on reddit that Clarkson sold his house in North Jersey.  No sources or anything behind it, just food for thought.

Edited by Devilsfan118

It's a bit steep, but that's the going price for a guy like Gonchar.  He did struggle his first year there - his shot rate dropped a ton, his points did too, but his underlying numbers stayed okay.  Basically the market for players like Gonchar is 3 guys - Gonchar, Streit, and Zidlicky.  I guess Ian White belongs in this class too maybe (and that's who I'd like to see NJ target if they're going to dump a D and still intend to get another offensively minded guy), but you've got a market of 3 guys and probably 10 teams that want them, it's going to drive the price up.

Damn, I'm kinda upset that they resigned Malkin.  Was hoping he would move so the Penguins would look a little more human.

Take this for what it's worth - but a rumor was posted on reddit that Clarkson sold his house in North Jersey.  No sources or anything behind it, just food for thought.

The Pens were just swept embarrassingly, thats pretty damn human. This contract also hamstrings them next year when Letang, Orpik, and Kunitz are all UFA. They're not going to be able to afford those guys. I expect Shero to be wheeling and dealing at the draft like he did last year.

I wonder if Lou knows he won't be able to re-sign Clarkson that he'll try to trade his rights away.

Maybe a team ahead of us in the draft would be willing to talk trade like the Oilers.

Thing is, the agents won't let the Devils know that b/c it takes another bidder out when July 5th hits. I think Clarkson would stay, but he's also a fool if he doesnt play the market this year. This is his chance to cash in. There's no really big fish this year. It's basically poker.

Lou has played this game before. He let Elias and Langenbrunner hit the market a few years ago, let them check the temperature and both signed here. Clarky may want 5, but Lou may think he wont get that on the market. We've also been burnt in this game (Niedermayer). Then you have situations like Parise who I think knew he was going to leave if the right deal/situation came along and we had no chance.

If Streit can bring in a 4th round pick for his rights, I would imagine a 4th or 5th would be the return for Clarkson's rights. We have 0 chance to sign the guy if we trade the rights away, so it depends on what Lou values more. He may value the shot at retaining Clarkson as greater than a mid to late round pick. 

Edited by ghdi

Damn, I'm kinda upset that they resigned Malkin.  Was hoping he would move so the Penguins would look a little more human.  9.5m seems like a pretty good deal for a franchise player, considering Perry got, what, 8.6?

I remember the same thing happened with Zach last year and Kovy the year (or 2) before that. Zach bought a new home in Minnesota and everyone was saying he was gone (on HF) and Kovy was rumored to be buying a house in NJ before we signed him. Trust in the selling/buying homes rumors. They've been the most accurate kind of rumors lately. definitely more so than Єklund (2.3% accurate) and IncarseratedBob.

I'm kind of okay with this if he does go. It means someone else will overpay for him and I'm happy Lou isn't.

Edited by Jerzey Devil

It's a bit steep, but that's the going price for a guy like Gonchar.  He did struggle his first year there - his shot rate dropped a ton, his points did too, but his underlying numbers stayed okay.  Basically the market for players like Gonchar is 3 guys - Gonchar, Streit, and Zidlicky.  I guess Ian White belongs in this class too maybe (and that's who I'd like to see NJ target if they're going to dump a D and still intend to get another offensively minded guy), but you've got a market of 3 guys and probably 10 teams that want them, it's going to drive the price up.

100% agree about Ian White. I brought him up a while back when I read an article about he was in the dog house in Detroit. He's under 30, can put up points. He has, however, been traded a few times, so I have no idea if that's related to who he is, how he plays, or if it's just the way it happened for him. Either way, I think he'd be a reasonably priced FA, so would be worth looking at.