Summer 2013 UFA/RFA Thread

Derlique

I was going to rebut, but I think my argument was made for me.

I'll worry about this team when we lose players we never thought we could live without like Elias, Parise left, but it wasn't because we couldn't keep him, it's that he ain't worth that contract or the $20M he got upfront.

And with all the anecdotal evidence being tossed around, remember this, Doan sat around for A WHILE just so he could stay in Phoenix, proving that it's not just about going to a big market or to a place with big name players.

you got that wrong though, Doan sat around for A WHILE cause his daughter got her face ripped by a dog and needed 150 stitches and bone / cartilage rebuilt in her face.

The Rags have 14 million in cap space. They have Stepan, Hagelin, Zuccarello, Sauer, and Mcdonagh as RFA's this summer. Any idea how much these guys may seek collectively? It has to be at least 10-12 million combined putting the Rags up against the cap so I really can't see where they go free agent shopping to improve.

Sauer's been hurt so if he gets re-signed it'll be at the minimum or close to it.  They might even just say goodbye to him.  Zuccarello, eh.  McDonagh probably signs between 4-5 million, though it depends.  Stepan, if they hold him to a 2 year contract, is probably only a $2.5/3M guy.  Hagelin around 2.5M too.  So I could see those guys costing them 10M.  Yeah, that is a tough spot for them, wonder what they'll do - maybe deal Pyatt or something so they'll have room to sign Clowe.

Rangers can't take on any significany contract for over 1 year. Everyone on their roster except Nash, Richards, Staal, and Dorsset need new contracts either this summer or next summer, and most will get raises

Wouldn't be suprised if Lundqvist gets a very similar contract to Malkin if not more if he stays with the Rangers.

as far as clarkson goes, i really feel he is a loyal guy and player to this team.. however i do not think he will just re sign here until he explores the market to see what other offers he can get.. 

Would you? This is his chance to get his big payday and he won't have a shot to get it again. I completely understand that. He's earned his shot at UFA. He's got a chance to get a contract that in other years, he may not be offered. It's really the perfect time for him to be a UFA. Obviously, that's potentially not good for us in respect to keeping him, but I will hold no grudge against him should he walk. 

I'm not confident that we are keeping him, but if he walks, I won't waste time mourning the loss and if he stays and the deal is palatable, I'll be happy he's back. Now, last year? I was a mess last year leading up to Zach's decision. The Finals run was helpful in that respect since we didn't have a lot of time to wait before the offseason got going once the Finals were over.

Edited by ghdi

Would you? This is his chance to get his big payday and he won't have a shot to get it again. I completely understand that. He's earned his shot at UFA. He's got a chance to get a contract that in other years, he may not be offered. It's really the perfect time for him to be a UFA. Obviously, that's potentially not good for us in respect to keeping him, but I will hold no grudge against him should he walk. 

I'm not confident that we are keeping him, but if he walks, I won't waste time mourning the loss and if he stays and the deal is palatable, I'll be happy he's back. Now, last year? I was a mess last year leading up to Zach's decision. The Finals run was helpful in that respect since we didn't have a lot of time to wait before the offseason got going once the Finals were over.

his only shot at getting paid and bla bla bla is a bit pushing, he'll get the years and the money anywhere now and fair money in NJ im sure, its really not as if for him its either poverty on one side and on the other side being able to feed his family. he'll make at least 4.5/5 anywhere he signs for 4+ years. Im pretty sure you can have a good enough life with 5m a year. He won't have to deliver newspaper during weekends to afford his house or wtv im sure

Edited by SterioDesign

his only shot at getting paid and bla bla bla is a bit pushing, he'll get the years and the money anywhere now and fair money in NJ im sure, its really not as if for him its either poverty on one side and on the other side being able to feed his family. he'll make at least 4.5/5 anywhere he signs for 4+ years. Im pretty sure you can have a good enough life with 5m a year. He won't have to deliver newspaper during weekends to afford his house or wtv im sure

This is his chance to get a big contract. He's going to sign for 4-5 years and probably 4-5 million. He wont get the same at 32-33 and he likely wouldnt get it in other years when the market isn't as thin. Its hardly pushing.

literally made me LOL

you got that wrong though, Doan sat around for A WHILE cause his daughter got her face ripped by a dog and needed 150 stitches and bone / cartilage rebuilt in her face.

That's irrelevant. Why would that have affected his decision? I'm sure his agent was still talking to teams for him and knew what Doan was looking for in an offer.

Still don't see it. He pondered retirement? I'm sure his agent took him so seriously that he told all teams to go screw.....This still doesn't mean he wasn't listening to offers, even if he personally wasn't taking calls.

i saw an interview somewhere with him saying he did put away all contract talks and everything when that happened cause is family is what was really important for him and he was in no rush and bla bla bla bla. Thats why it took so long for him.

edit: so basically its not rumours or anything i saw his mouth saying those things from my very eyes

Edited by SterioDesign

Sauer's been hurt so if he gets re-signed it'll be at the minimum or close to it.  They might even just say goodbye to him.  Zuccarello, eh.  McDonagh probably signs between 4-5 million, though it depends.  Stepan, if they hold him to a 2 year contract, is probably only a $2.5/3M guy.  Hagelin around 2.5M too.  So I could see those guys costing them 10M.  Yeah, that is a tough spot for them, wonder what they'll do - maybe deal Pyatt or something so they'll have room to sign Clowe.

I don't know, I think you're highly underestimating. McDonaugh's agent knows he'll get at least 5, he's the cornerstone of their defense and only 24. Stepan's definitely more than 2.5-3, he was almost point per game this shortened season and more consistent and clutch for the Rangers than Nash or Richards were, and led in scoring. Both McD and Stepan are young and not even near their prime yet, I wouldn't be shocked if just the two of them alone cost $9-10M to re-sign, for a GM like Sather. I just don't see those two in particular being traded or getting let go. Hagelin at $2.5M sounds about right, and I just don't know about Clowe.. And Henrik Lundqvist next year is a whole other mystery.

I don't know, I think you're highly underestimating. McDonaugh's agent knows he'll get at least 5, he's the cornerstone of their defense and only 24. Stepan's definitely more than 2.5-3, he was almost point per game this shortened season and more consistent and clutch for the Rangers than Nash or Richards were, and led in scoring. Both McD and Stepan are young and not even near their prime yet, I wouldn't be shocked if just the two of them alone cost $9-10M to re-sign, for a GM like Sather. I just don't see those two in particular being traded or getting let go. Hagelin at $2.5M sounds about right, and I just don't know about Clowe.. And Henrik Lundqvist next year is a whole other mystery.

Stepan doesn't have arbitration rights, and the Rangers tend to sit on players that don't have them.  So I expect him to get a much smaller deal than you might expect given the season he had.  McDonagh has arbitration rights (I think) but is still RFA, so I expect them to eat up the rest of those years with a deal similar to what Slava Voynov signed - $4M is probably a low estimate but $5M is probably close to the top end unless they go nuts with an 8 year type deal.

Stepan doesn't have arbitration rights, and the Rangers tend to sit on players that don't have them.  So I expect him to get a much smaller deal than you might expect given the season he had.  McDonagh has arbitration rights (I think) but is still RFA, so I expect them to eat up the rest of those years with a deal similar to what Slava Voynov signed - $4M is probably a low estimate but $5M is probably close to the top end unless they go nuts with an 8 year type deal.

Aren't your guranteed arbitration rights during RFA? If no......I guess the only real leverage Stepan has is to hold out?

if rumours we're true well we're out on the Jonathan Bernier dirby, Leafs, flyers and wild still in it. This was reported by Ren Lavoie which is always on top of things and very well connected.

Good, no need to give up lots of assets on a goalie gamble. If a goalie gamble is made, go with the cheaper gambles.

Aren't your guranteed arbitration rights during RFA? If no......I guess the only real leverage Stepan has is to hold out?

No, only players who've played for a certain amount of time do.  And yeah, that, or sign an offer sheet.  I don't think either thing is likely, though Dubinsky held out briefly a few years ago.

how accurate do we think they are on clarkson? He doesnt want to be here any longer he wants to be a leaf.... ? Had alot of hope in resigning this guy thought he had some heart with this team