Summer 2013 UFA/RFA Thread

Derlique

Now THAT is an interesting development...

Also, unrelated but also interesting, KHL apparently offered Bobrosky 10,000,000 (yes, that is correct) a year for multiple years.

http://en.rsport.ru/hockey/20130623/669811773.html

10m/year after a stellar 40 game season?  TAKE IT AND RUN BOB!

That's tax free too I think. I could seriously see him taking that, that's a sh!t ton of money.

Considering he'll get maybe 6.5m at the absolute most in the NHL, it seems like a no-brainer.  Sign with the KHL for however long they'll offer the tax-free dollars, and come back to live/play in NA (if he wants) afterwards.

Would suck for the CBJ though, but what're you going to do.

Assistance required: Does a bought out player get the original money ON TOP of the new contract they sign? EX. Bryz is getting 1.6 mil for the next 14 years from philly, if he signs a new 3 mil contract does that mean he is getting 4.6 mil this year or is it 1.6 from philly and 1.4 from the new team? Thanks in advanced.

Considering he'll get maybe 6.5m at the absolute most in the NHL, it seems like a no-brainer.  Sign with the KHL for however long they'll offer the tax-free dollars, and come back to live/play in NA (if he wants) afterwards.

It's not a no-brainer - playing in Russia sucks, and if he left now, it'd be tough for him to come back to the NHL.  This is a guy who flew to the US to accept his Vezina trophy - I don't think he's leaving.

Assistance required: Does a bought out player get the original money ON TOP of the new contract they sign? EX. Bryz is getting 1.6 mil for the next 14 years from philly, if he signs a new 3 mil contract does that mean he is getting 4.6 mil this year or is it 1.6 from philly and 1.4 from the new team? Thanks in advanced.

Yes.  You get paid by the old team regardless of what happens with your new one (or whether you find a new one).  It means these guys have the financial security to choose where they want to play and take a little less if it means going where they really want.

You could say that for pretty much any KHL player. They're always going to make more there, Bob aside. Yet nobody goes but Radulov.

And like Tri said, playing in Russia's awful. Who would go back there esp after the Lokomotiv stuff and Cherepanov stuff. It's not exactly safe there

Edited by DH26

Yes, which is why in a case like Gomez, the player might sign for a pretty low contract, relatively speaking. When they announced this whole buyout stuff last year, and the trade deadline came and went without any significant moves by Lou, I realized that Lou was going to wait to pick up some of these buyouts.

I wouldn't be surprised if Lou takes a run at a Briere or Lecavelier for a discount. They've been in the league long enough to know what the Devils organization (and Lou) is all about..

Edited by DJ Eco

It might indeed 'suck' to play in Russia, but I mean...unless he's one of those "cup or bust" guys who's fueled by a chance to win the cup..we're talking about a 4m/year difference between here and there.

4 million dollars.  That's more than most players will ever make per year.  And I don't buy the 'it's difficult to come back'.  Maybe he'll burn his bridges in CBJ, but it's do-able.  If he plays well in Russia, someone will want him back. 

It might indeed 'suck' to play in Russia, but I mean...unless he's one of those "cup or bust" guys who's fueled by a chance to win the cup..we're talking about a 4m/year difference between here and there.

4 million dollars.  That's more than most players will ever make per year.  And I don't buy the 'it's difficult to come back'.  Maybe he'll burn his bridges in CBJ, but it's do-able.  If he plays well in Russia, someone will want him back. 

Other players have had the same opportunity and only one's taken it. Why would he be teh 2nd? There's no reason to think he will be. He could've made a ton in Russia but instead played on a cheap ELC

It's way more money than that, because the money in Russia is tax-free.  Everything else about Russia besides 'It's where you grew up' and 'They're offering you loads of money' stinks.  The amenities are worse.  The contracts aren't guaranteed.  The travel is horrible.  Some of the lower-end franchises don't draw - and when I mean don't draw, they have 5,000 seat arenas and don't sell out.  It's a second-rate league.  It's not about the Cup - it's about playing against the best players in the world.

He's been playing in the KHL, how does anyone have any guarantee he's still any good?  If he wants top dollar to come back it will be hard to find it. 

Gotta admit, the Vinny buyout made my heart beat faster. Not a lot of players of that caliber available this year. Though this is exactly why the GMs will be tearing each other apart to get him and he might end up with some insane contract. The other realistic scenario I can see happening is him settling for lower money (he's getting paid a ton anyway, duh) on a winning team for a shot at another Cup and this year we're not one of those teams, unfortunately.

So Lecalvier (who was due to get 10mil through 2016) will get 5 million PLUS whatever he makes? So he may end up being the highest paid player in the league at 33? WOW..i'd like to be bought out.

Yeah, being bought out is a sweet deal. You basically get paid double and get to collect paychecks from two teams.

Odds on Danny Briere's next team, according to Bovada: Devils 3-to-2, Senators 5/2, Canadiens 9/2, Sabres and Coyotes 5/1.

he's old and over-the-hill. Obviously we're gonna sign him

but at least he's a RW which i suspect we won't have any real top 6 RW unless Lou sign someone

Edited by SterioDesign

he's old and over-the-hill. Obviously we're gonna sign him

but at least he's a RW which i suspect we won't have any real top 6 RW unless Lou sign someone

I think Briere can still turn it on and be productive. I don't see the hate for him other than he was a Flyer. Under Pete D. I could see him succeed like everyone else.

I think Briere can still turn it on and be productive. I don't see the hate for him other than he was a Flyer. Under Pete D. I could see him succeed like everyone else.

my only problem is im getting a little sick patching holes with old guy, its not necessarily anything against Brière. Meaning you'll have to re-patch that hole sooner than later and with older guys they are obviously not in their prime either. during the season last season he was absolutely terrible at some point. He's clutch in the playoffs though but god knows if we'll even make it there.

thats why i loved the Carter pickup, he's awesome in his role and he's still pretty young we could very well get the best years out of him.

He's kind of a dirty player. In addition, he can't play D to save his life. That's the basic knock against Briere

my only problem is im getting a little sick patching holes with old guy, its not necessarily anything against Brière. Meaning you'll have to re-patch that hole sooner than later and with older guys they are obviously not in their prime either.

It is extremely hard to get a young player for a 1st or 2nd line role now. The important players teams are just locking up now. Comparing briere to carter is a terrible comparison. Although I love Carter he's a 4th liner. Briere can still play. No he isn't a 1st line guy. But he's still a mid 40s point guy that can play on the second. Briere also played through injuries for most of last year, and he's getting bought out more so because the flyers are over the cap by 8m. It would be a good pick up.