Summer 2013 UFA/RFA Thread

Derlique

It is extremely hard to get a young player for a 1st or 2nd line role now. The important players teams are just locking up now. Comparing briere to carter is a terrible comparison. Although I love Carter he's a 4th liner. Briere can still play. No he isn't a 1st line guy. But he's still a mid 40s point guy that can play on the second. Briere also played through injuries for most of last year, and he's getting bought out more so because the flyers are over the cap by 8m. It would be a good pick up.

i didnt compare both players at all, i compared situations. Signing or picking up an old over the hill guy who could be done or will be pretty soon vs signing or picking up a young guy for a specific role that you'd likely have for longer and get his best years.

i must be terrible at explaining myself, 75% of the time my posts are misinterpreted its unreal

Any idea why Phoenix is on that list? All the teams seem to be in the North East except them.

he played there before he was in buffalo

DH26 is probably right, but I'm going to go with a more conspiracy theory-ish "BECAUSE THEY ARE MOVING TO QUEBEC!!!" and then pretend I have sources.

i didnt compare both players at all, i compared situations. Signing or picking up an old over the hill guy who could be done or will be pretty soon vs signing or picking up a young guy for a specific role that you'd likely have for longer and get his best years.

i must be terrible at explaining myself, 75% of the time my posts are misinterpreted its unreal

You said ur problem is that ur sick of patching holes with old players, implying that you want a younger player. The role we are talking about it a 2nd line scorer. So putting in that comment about Carter was irrelevant I guess.

What I'm saying is that if u want to patch a 2nd line scorer hole with a "young" guy it's going to be difficult to get a player like that. Most likely an older guy like briere who still has some left in the tank will out produce whatever young scrap heap player that we can get without breaking the bank either with money or assets

Yeah, I mean there are guys on the scrap heap who are scoring types and NJ got 3 last year - Butler, Loktionov, and D'Agostini.  They went 1 for 3 there.  

If you want a younger player who's any good, it either costs you assets or presents a longer-term risk because the player has to be signed for longer.  Someone like Bickell could get a 5 year deal just because he's a 27 year old UFA.

Edited by Triumph

You said ur problem is that ur sick of patching holes with old players, implying that you want a younger player. The role we are talking about it a 2nd line scorer. So putting in that comment about Carter was irrelevant I guess.

What I'm saying is that if u want to patch a 2nd line scorer hole with a "young" guy it's going to be difficult to get a player like that. Most likely an older guy like briere who still has some left in the tank will out produce whatever young scrap heap player that we can get without breaking the bank either with money or assets

i get it but i was not referring directly to the Brière situation or the 2nd line need or anything. more about the fascination of Lou bringing old guys back like Arnott, Shanahan, Holik, Sullivan etc etc etc

i get it but i was not referring directly to the Brière situation or the 2nd line need or anything. more about the fascination of Lou bringing old guys back like Arnott, Shanahan, Holik, Sullivan etc etc etc

It's not a fascination, all these guys came cheap.

Shanahan we signed for half a season with a pro rated $800k contract. Are you seriously saying that was a bad move?

Sullivan, we got for a 7th, pretty sure his 2 points or whatever he had was more than the guy we were gonna get with that pick was gonna ever put up.

Holik wasn't a great pick up, but it was 1 year at $2.5M.

Arnott's second tenure was probably the worst of them because we actually gave something up for him. The rest we got for nothing.

What quality young players would you have picked up for 7th rd pick, a 1 year $2.5M contract and a half season pro-rated contract @ $800k? I would LOVE to hear this.

I'll even give you that Arnott was a bad decision, we lost Matt Halischuck and a 2nd rd pick, that 2nd could have ended up being better value over what Arnott gave us that year.

Edited by ATLL765

Yeah, I mean there are guys on the scrap heap who are scoring types and NJ got 3 last year - Butler, Loktionov, and D'Agostini. They went 1 for 3 there.

If you want a younger player who's any good, it either costs you assets or presents a longer-term risk because the player has to be signed for longer. Someone like Bickell could get a 5 year deal just because he's a 27 year old UFA.

he'll be staying in Chicago and isn't asking for alot. He said he'll take a discount to stay.

The Devils traded Halischuk and a 2nd for Arnott, but they got a 2nd and Steckel for him, then they moved Steckel for a 4th.  So really they just moved down a bunch in the 2nd round of the 2011 draft and swapped Steckel and Halischuk, two players who are about equal value

The Devils traded Halischuk and a 2nd for Arnott, but they got a 2nd and Steckel for him, then they moved Steckel for a 4th.  So really they just moved down a bunch in the 2nd round of the 2011 draft and swapped Steckel and Halischuk, two players who are about equal value

The ultimate return for Halischuk was Zidlicky and the 4 they got for Steckel, I think.

That's right - they had 2 2nds in 2012 and dealt one of them, they didn't have a 2011 2nd.

There were alot of moving parts in the degrees of separation.   I'm oversimplifying it a bit.  

But I think rolling it forward from the Halischuk/Arnott trade on they made out pretty well.   Sometimes you have these chains of transactions and you trade something good away for something that amounts to a puddle of goo 3-4 transactions down the road.

Basically it's Halischuk + 2 + gigantic pile of junk for Zidlicky and a 4.

Edited by maxpower

Pitt offers letang eight years 54 million . Cap hell if he accepts.

It wouldn't kick in until 2014-2015, so it's hard to figure out how it would play out.  They could rid themselves of Fleury's contract by then, but I suppose if they want something other than a retread goalie, they'll have to pay out about the same amount.

Wonder if he gets traded for a package that includes a late first rounder with the hope of drafting Fucale.

Letang is a really good defenseman, so they better get something done soon.  If they deal him, even if they pick up a defender in the deal, their defense for next year is kinda awful.

they have a really good d prospect pool apparently and some has been saying that Shero doesnt see Letang at the best potential dman of the bunch. Personally i cant see which would be better but who knows.

Letang rejects 8-year/$54 million offer from Pens

Can confirm Letang's agent Kent Hughes countered the Penguins 8 year, $54 million offer, asking for 8 years, $62.5 million/ full NTC

Retweeted by James Mirtle

Edited by gardenstatepkwy

Letang rejects 8-year/$54 million offer from Pens

Can confirm Letang's agent Kent Hughes countered the Penguins 8 year, $54 million offer, asking for 8 years, $62.5 million/ full NTC

Retweeted by James Mirtle

if they trade they might take a little step back in term of their D but then they'd have about 3m more on the cap to play with and 4m more for the other years that he would have signed.

i still see it as a step back obviously but to me it's better a step back for one season (where god knows, he could have had a bad season or being injured, he was also terrible in the playoffs) but at least they'd get a good return that could help them for years instead of letting him walk for nothing.

if they trade they might take a little step back in term of their D but then they'd have about 3m more on the cap to play with and 4m more for the other years that he would have signed.

i still see it as a step back obviously but to me it's better a step back for one season (where god knows, he could have had a bad season or being injured, he was also terrible in the playoffs) but at least they'd get a good return that could help them for years instead of letting him walk for nothing.

Unless they really heist someone with this deal, It's a step back for many seasons.  The Penguins just cannot go out and replace Kris Letang on the free agent market, players like that almost never come available.  They'll just waste James Neal's prime dithering around with mediocre talent on the backend.