Summer 2013 UFA/RFA Thread

Derlique

The fact that the news on Clarkson has all been TSN based and the news on Elias, etc. has been New Jersey based tells you most of what you need to know

TSN is not a reliable source for news? to be honest not sure what that stands for is it like some Toronto based news?

The fact that the news on Clarkson has all been TSN based and the news on Elias, etc. has been New Jersey based tells you most of what you need to know TSN is not a reliable source for news? to be honest not sure what that stands for is it like some Toronto based news?

TSN stands for The Sports Network and it's the Canadian version of ESPN basically. What Tri was trying to say is that you can pretty much count on Clarkson heading elsewhere since most of the news on him has been coming from Canada. As in: the Devils don't have much to say themselves because there's nothing to really say.

TSN is not a reliable source for news? to be honest not sure what that stands for is it like some Toronto based news?

TSN is the Canadian version of ESPN.  There have been rumors about Clarkson to Toronto from them since the season ended.

TSN is the Canadian version of ESPN.  There have been rumors about Clarkson to Toronto from them since the season ended.

TSN makes a lot of mistakes. I was watching the CFL last year and below where they scroll the news, they reported that the Devils signed Bergfors

TSN makes a lot of mistakes. I was watching the CFL last year and below where they scroll the news, they reported that the Devils signed Bergfors

There is a difference between a ticker making a mistake (which happens all the time, even on the NHL Network) and a reporter reporting something erroneously.  I don't necessarily trust Darren Dreger anymore (I think he's turning into a plugged-in version of Єklund (2.3% accurate)), but Bob McKenzie is basically the best in the business, and he's the one reporting this.

There is a difference between a ticker making a mistake (which happens all the time, even on the NHL Network) and a reporter reporting something erroneously.  I don't necessarily trust Darren Dreger anymore (I think he's turning into a plugged-in version of Єklund (2.3% accurate)), but Bob McKenzie is basically the best in the business, and he's the one reporting this.

thing is some guys get bad rep cause they've been wrong a few times now. You seem to lose trust in anyome who's been rumouring something that didnt happen. Do you have an idea how many near deal are about to happen but one of the side pull from it? Like Aaron Ward reporting the Iginla thing. He was actually right and basically done, but the deal change. Thats not his fault the info he got at the time were legit. Thats as close to an excusable report that you can get though obviously when all parties come out and admit it.

But like i said often those guys have legit inside infos but the deal just never go through. things change so fast in hockey.

============

in other news Rick Dipietro will be bought out tomorrow apparently. the Islanders just put him on waivers

Edited by SterioDesign

The back and forth tidbits with TSN seems to me to be a public negotiation between Toronto and Clarkson's agent. 

I'd really be surprised if Clarkson is back with us.  I just hope Lou doesn't get stupid and overpays Clarkson at the last minute or even worse throws a dumb contract term at Ryane Clowe to fill his spot.

Based on Lou's actions and reading between the lines so far this offseason I am actually encouraged that he's got a stronger feel forward, and I've been fairly critical of Lou at times.  I obviously don't love some of these longer term deals on the mid 30s guys, but eh, it is what it is.  The Schneider deal has pretty much shut me up on one of my biggest knocks which was the goalie issues (tandem, age, succession).

I just hope Lou doesn't get stupid and overpays Clarkson at the last minute or even worse throws a dumb contract term at Ryane Clowe to fill his spot.

Clowe was a useful player in SJ this year but had terrible shooting luck.  He then had 8 pts in 12 games in NY.  Part of the reason NY has no interest in re-signing him is the Sharks get a 2nd rounder if they do, I think he could be a solid, cheaper version of Clarkson.

Given the number of UFA forwards available and the fact that there's a bit of cap crunch (For example, SJ can basically sign no one) I think there's going to be some decent value signing options for NJ at the forward position.  Maybe not Clowe exactly, but there will be options.

So who would be our next center to play off position if wed get him?

I see it as...

Henrique Loktionov Kovalchuk

Elias Zajac Zubrus

??? Weiss Clarkson(???)

Carter Josefson Bernier

Josefson could be shifted to left wing if necessary, Gionta centers fourth line (sigh). Zubrus can be shifted to third line if we get a top 6 forward.

This is my wish list though.

Stalberg Zajac Kovalchuk

Elias Loktionov Zubrus

Henrique Weiss Clarkson

Carter Josefson Bernier

Edited by Zubie#8

The Isles will buy out Dipietro!

He'll get $1.5 million per year for 16 years.

In other news the North won the Civil War, water is wet, and traffic on the Turnpike between exits 9 & 6 sucks.