Summer 2013 UFA/RFA Thread

Derlique

They are very well coached team.  Maclean is the leader of the squad.  He is the head walrus.  Alfredsson is an old man on skates.  He's not Selanne.  He did put up decent numbers last year but he was not by any means carrying the team.

I like Maclean and he has done a great job molding some of the young players, but Alfredsson was the key to their success.

Who was it that carried the team?  Spezza?  Michalek? Karlsson? Anderson? 

Everyone who's bitching and moaning about the Clowe deal are gonna sh!t bricks when they see what Clarkson gets. It was overpay for Clowe or overpay for Clarkson (in Lou's mind anyway I guess) and you all knew this was coming. Lou overpaid, but he chose the right guy to overpay.

• Like 1

Spezza,Turris, Conacher Zinbanejad, Silfverberg, Pageau, Stone.  Just because you only know the top commodity doesn't mean the rest of the team is lacking.  The supporting cast carried this team last year.

This is joke.   The young kids did OK.  Time will tell if they can now carry the load without the teams best player.  There was no pressure on them last year as teams didn't prepare for them.  Time will tell.   But Alfie creates a huge void, especially on the PP and also SH teams.   

Everyone who's bitching and moaning about the Clowe deal are gonna sh!t bricks when they see what Clarkson gets. It was overpay for Clowe or overpay for Clarkson (in Lou's mind anyway I guess) and you all knew this was coming. Lou overpaid, but he chose the right guy to overpay.

Admittedly, I can't wait to see what Clarkson gets.  But there's reasons to be a bit worried with Clowe...he'll be 31 years old to start the '13-'14 season, has had concussion issues...admittedly I am definitely concerned about this one. 

Like you said, it's an overpayment but one that's not likely to be as bad as Clarkson's overpayment will likely be.  Such is NHL UFA.

Clowe to me is an unnecessary risk.   Overpaying Clowe because another one dimensional player could make this is not a valid business argument.    I don't understand this.

Admittedly, I can't wait to see what Clarkson gets.  But there's reasons to be a bit worried with Clowe...he'll be 31 years old to start the '13-'14 season, has had concussion issues...admittedly I am definitely concerned about this one. 

Like you said, it's an overpayment but one that's not likely to be as bad as Clarkson's overpayment will likely be.  Such is NHL UFA.

Yep. Cost of doing business CR. And I correct myself from earlier, I thought Clowe was 29. Still a lot younger than Rolston was when we signed him though.

Agree 100%.

I like Maclean and he has done a great job molding some of the young players, but Alfredsson was the key to their success.

Who was it that carried the team?  Spezza?  Michalek? Karlsson? Anderson? 

Team effort and great goaltending.

This is joke.   The young kids did OK.  Time will tell if they can now carry the load without the teams best player.  There was no pressure on them last year as teams didn't prepare for them.  Time will tell.   But Alfie creates a huge void, especially on the PP and also SH teams.   

Didn't they beat the Devils ass down the stretch last year?

Clowe to me is an unnecessary risk. Overpaying Clowe because another one dimensional player could make this is not a valid business argument. I don't understand this.

I'm not making a business argument, I'm making a hockey argument. Clowe is a better version of Clarkson, albeit with some health issues. Lou wanted a Clarkson-type player to fill that spot. He went after the guy he thought was the best guy to fill Clarkson's role that was on the market, thought the money was reasonable enough, and made the move. Are we a better team then we were yesterday? If Clowe stays healthy- yes. Time will tell. Edited by MadDog2020

Team effort and great goaltending.

Didn't they beat the Devils ass down the stretch last year?

Who didn't beat us down the stretch?     It's easier for kids to play when they are in the background, they will now be in focus.  Different game.

well alriiiiight we got Clarkson's replacement checked off... now on to replace Zach..... cause you know.....

right?

well alriiiiight we got Clarkson's replacement checked off... now on to replace Zach..... cause you know.....

right?

we signed Olesz. Done. 

I'm not making a business argument, I'm making a hockey argument. Clowe is a better version of Clarkson, albeit with some health issues. Lou wanted a Clarkson-type player to fill that spot. He went after the guy he thought was the best guy to fill Clarkson's role that was on the market, thought the money was reasonable enough, and made the move. Are we a better team then we were yesterday? If Clowe stays healthy- yes. Time will tell.

I don't like long term committments based on a lot of "IF's" attached to it.   

I heard Clowe described as as a poor man's Clarkson.    I don't see us being better with this signing.   I am hoping I am wrong, and perhaps I haven't seen him play enough, but for that kind of money we could have done better.  Time will tell on this one.  I am skeptical. 

I don't like long term committments based on a lot of "IF's" attached to it.

I heard Clowe described as as a poor man's Clarkson. I don't see us being better with this signing. I am hoping I am wrong, and perhaps I haven't seen him play enough, but for that kind of money we could have done better. Time will tell on this one. I am skeptical.

The real Clarkson is a poor mans UFA Clarkson. :lol:

I think a healthy Clowe is better than a healthy Clarkson. Clowe's health is the big question mark.