Summer 2013 UFA/RFA Thread

Derlique

Єklund (2.3% accurate) was right, hockeybuzz reported Leafs step up offer for Bernier, they finally worked something out I guess.  Can't believe hockeybuzz had some inkling of an offer.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=52240#.Ucc9aJxW2So

Reported on 21 June.

HockeyBuzz....making hundreds of bad predictions so the 23 out of 1000 that are correct prove we have sources. :lol:

HockeyBuzz....making hundreds of bad predictions so the 23 out of 1000 that are correct prove we have sources. :lol:

This is funny now especially. Єklund (2.3% accurate) gets one right and now he has us chasing Luongo lol I dont know what else to say.

Reimer isn't significantly better than the guy we already have.   And he's 41.   

But Reimer is 25 and is largely responsible for getting the Leafs to within one game of ousting a potential Cup champ. That game 7 was atrocious, but 18-9-5 this year and has a good upside. He is significantly better than Moose at this point and Marty's probably done in a year. 

Would you fell better going into next season with Wedgewood and Kinkaid (should Marty retire) or something off the scrap heap, or Reimer as the penciled in starter and one of the kids behind him?

Edited by ghdi

But Reimer is 25 and is largely responsible for getting the Leafs to within one game of ousting a potential Cup champ. That game 7 was atrocious, but 18-9-5 this year and has a good upside. He is significantly better than Moose at this point and Marty's probably done in a year. 

Would you fell better going into next season with Wedgewood and Kinkaid (should Marty retire) or something off the scrap heap, or Reimer as the penciled in starter and one of the kids behind him?

He's a late starter at the position and has no rebound control.

Butterfly goalies are dime a dozen.   My first interest would be "how big are they", then secondly how disciplined they are with keeping their angles/net, etc.

To me, Reimer *is* a scrap heap goalie.    He's not an elite guy, he's just another butterfly goalie.

edit:   To not totally bury him, he does work hard and fight in net, I'm just not crazy about his form.

Edited by maxpower

He's a late starter at the position and has no rebound control.

Butterfly goalies are dime a dozen.   My first interest would be "how big are they", then secondly how disciplined they are with keeping their angles/net, etc.

To me, Reimer *is* a scrap heap goalie.    He's not an elite guy, he's just another butterfly goalie.

edit:   To not totally bury him, he does work hard and fight in net, I'm just not crazy about his form.

He's been a .915 goalie over his NHL career and had two good half-seasons before he got to the NHL.  Whatever he's doing is working better than Brodeur.  

He's been a .915 goalie over his NHL career and had two good half-seasons before he got to the NHL.  Whatever he's doing is working better than Brodeur.  

Whoop-de-do.    Especially coming from you, since it's not like you have a high opinion of Brodeur's play in the first place, it's not really a ringing endorsement.   By all means, someone can go in and overpay for him and then end up with an ordinary butterfly goalie.

BTW, 2 out of the last 3 years they've been in the bottom 10 in shots against.   The other season they were 19th.

Edited by maxpower

So, what do you suggest the Devils do? There are no "elite" goaltenders on the market or hitting the market anytime soon. Instead of burying a potential acquisition, provide an alternative.

Here's the list http://www.capgeek.com/free-agents?year_id=2014&team_id=-1&position_id=G&fa_type_id=2

Lundqvist is almost assuredly not going to hit the market. Miller is not elite anymore either and he's likely to be traded. Halak will probably get re-upped. As will Crawford.

As it stands right now, we have 2 40+ guys whose contracts are ending in a year with the only goaltenders with the franchise completely unproven.

At the very least, Reimer would provide just a little bit of insurance instead of having to go into the season with only Wedge/Kinkaid.

Edited by ghdi

So, what do you suggest the Devils do? There are no "elite" goaltenders on the market or hitting the market anytime soon. Instead of burying a potential acquisition, provide an alternative.

Here's the list http://www.capgeek.com/free-agents?year_id=2014&team_id=-1&position_id=G&fa_type_id=2

Lundqvist is almost assuredly not going to hit the market. Miller is not elite anymore either and he's likely to be traded. Halak will probably get re-upped. As will Crawford.

As it stands right now, we have 2 40+ guys whose contracts are ending in a year with the only goaltenders with the franchise completely unproven.

At the very least, Reimer would provide just a little bit of insurance instead of having to go into the season with only Wedge/Kinkaid.

Not giving up a pick + for James Reimer would be a start.   I'm not the GM, I don't need contingency plans.    If your heart is set on James Reimer you should have no problem getting something similar to him when you need him.   Or he should be able to play down his value when he loses his job.

Whoop-de-do.    Especially coming from you, since it's not like you have a high opinion of Brodeur's play in the first place, it's not really a ringing endorsement.   By all means, someone can go in and overpay for him and then end up with an ordinary butterfly goalie.

BTW, 2 out of the last 3 years they've been in the bottom 10 in shots against.   The other season they were 19th.

Low shots against (besides scorer miscounts) don't have anything to do with save percentages.  Brodeur's are all below-average the last three years.  He was average to above-average in the playoffs in 2012, but there's just no guarantees that he isn't through.

I'd love to have an ordinary butterfly goalie, if ordinary means of average ability.  I know it's common around here to think that Brodeur's the greatest and that it's always the defense that's the problem, but if they'd gotten .915 goaltending as a team they would've given up 23 fewer goals and probably make the playoffs.

Edited by Triumph

Low shots against (besides scorer miscounts) don't have anything to do with save percentages.  Brodeur's are all below-average the last three years.  He was average to above-average in the playoffs in 2012, but there's just no guarantees that he isn't through.

I'd love to have an ordinary butterfly goalie, if ordinary means of average ability.  I know it's common around here to think that Brodeur's the greatest and that it's always the defense that's the problem, but if they'd gotten .915 goaltending as a team they would've given up 23 fewer goals and probably make the playoffs.

Of course the shot differential is going to have something to do with your save percentage.   You're just being dishonest as a numbers guy if you don't think that's the case.

The deal here isn't that he's not better than a 41 year old Marty.    It's that he's not worth making a commitment to, which starts by having to trade for him while he still has inflated value.    He's 25 and it's pretty likely the sloppyness in his game is never going away.

Of course the shot differential is going to have something to do with your save percentage.   You're just being dishonest as a numbers guy if you don't think that's the case.

Except it doesn't.  Find me the correlation.  Shots are shots.  You think NJ's shot prevention only prevents the easy shots?  Why bother doing it, then?

Obviously in the abstract, if shots against got high or low enough, yes, we'd have to conclude that there's an impact, but I don't think that's the case in the NHL.  We see plenty of teams who give up lots of shots with high and low save percentages and vice versa to conclude that there's no correlation (again, absent lazy scoring which the Devils do have and affects Brodeur's save percentage a few points each year).  Of course you think Hasek gave up rebounds that increased his save percentage.

EDIT:  there may be a very slight correlation based on the fact that teams who get good goaltending tend to lead more often in games and therefore face more lower percentage shots (and therefore more shots overall) in 3rd periods.  But I don't think this is particularly significant.

The deal here isn't that he's not better than a 41 year old Marty.    It's that he's not worth making a commitment to, which starts by having to trade for him while he still has inflated value.    He's 25 and it's pretty likely the sloppyness in his game is never going away.

Except for his markedly better results over the last 3 years, to the tune of what would be worth several wins in the standings to a team that's missed the playoffs 2 out of the last 3 years, yes, I agree he's not better than a 41 year old Brodeur.

Edited by Triumph

Except it doesn't.  Find me the correlation.  Shots are shots.  You think NJ's shot prevention only prevents the easy shots?  Why bother doing it, then?

Obviously in the abstract, if shots against got high or low enough, yes, we'd have to conclude that there's an impact, but I don't think that's the case in the NHL.  We see plenty of teams who give up lots of shots with high and low save percentages and vice versa to conclude that there's no correlation (again, absent lazy scoring which the Devils do have and affects Brodeur's save percentage a few points each year).  Of course you think Hasek gave up rebounds that increased his save percentage.

Except for his markedly better results over the last 3 years, to the tune of what would be worth several wins in the standings to a team that's missed the playoffs 2 out of the last 3 years, yes, I agree he's not better than a 41 year old Brodeur.

Um, I said in the first line of my first post about this that he's better than Brodeur.    I just don't think that automatically means "GET THAT GUY!".   How many 1/1A's in the league do you think are better than Marty (likely answer is 98% of them)?     Would you go out of your way to acquire every single one of them?

Um, I said in the first line of my first post about this that he's better than Brodeur.    I just don't think that automatically means "GET THAT GUY!".   How many 1/1A's in the league do you think are better than Marty (likely answer is 98% of them)?     Would you go out of your way to acquire every single one of them?

Probably, until you get a 1/1A goalie at a reasonable price why would you stop trying to acquire one?

Go out of my way?  No.  Would I trade a 2014 2nd and Fayne for Reimer?  Absolutely.  I don't think that gets it done, but it's a start.  There aren't that many goalies available who can be plausible 1As.

Edited by Triumph

Go out of my way?  No.  Would I trade a 2014 2nd and Fayne for Reimer?  Absolutely.  I don't think that gets it done, but it's a start.  There aren't that many goalies available who can be plausible 1As.

I can't have no 2014 draft with the end result being James Reimer, that's really hard to swallow.   Even with the $2-3M defenseman being involved, which can easily be replaced.

I can't have no 2014 draft with the end result being James Reimer, that's really hard to swallow.   Even with the $2-3M defenseman being involved, which can easily be replaced.

What should be really hard to swallow is the sub-.900 SV% the Devils endured last year.  It can't be allowed to repeat.  If NJ trades down in this draft, that could cover the difference.

What should be really hard to swallow is the sub-.900 SV% the Devils endured last year.  It can't be allowed to repeat.  If NJ trades down in this draft, that could cover the difference.

This.  Thanks to Marty for everything last thing he's done, and I mean ALL of it, and I won't ever say a bad word about him, and nothing against Hedberg, but damn if the Devils' goalie situation for 2013-14 shouldn't have us all plenty nervous.  Agree, Devils should be doing what they can to find a 1/1A-type at a reasonable price...especially since there's a minimal chance that a tandem of Brodeur/Hedberg will be terribly effective or healthy next season.

It sucks to have to acknowledge this, but like Tri said, I think Marty is as likely to be washed-up as he is to be anything approaching what he once was.  This upcoming season to me feels like a "Hung on one season too long" feel for Marty.  I understand how it all came about, and the reasons behind it, and why a guy like Marty isn't giving up/walking away, and I won't rehash it here.  But I think this final year will be a rough one.  I hope if it gets really REALLY ugly, he will retire in-season if he has to...no shame in that at all.  I would hate to see Marty sputtering with a save% in the high .870s-low .880s come mid-December.

I don't think that Miller is an option, but I would consider him among the better-elite goalies in the league.  He backstopped Buffalo with an .915 save pct. with a losing record.  If you look at his stats, he's been a consistent 91% save percent or better his entire career.  That's a guy in his prime.  If Brodeur could have given us that all year long, we might have made playoffs.