Summer 2013 UFA/RFA Thread

Derlique

Unless they really heist someone with this deal, It's a step back for many seasons.  The Penguins just cannot go out and replace Kris Letang on the free agent market, players like that almost never come available.  They'll just waste James Neal's prime dithering around with mediocre talent on the backend.

Well if they are gonna lose him anyway in one season cause they can't afford him. Thats the thing, you have one year to make it worth if he stays, then if you're not the team lifting the cup. You lost your gamble and you lose him for nothing. Now thats a major stepback.

Edited by SterioDesign
  • Like 1

Well if they are gonna lose him anyway in one season cause they can't afford him. Thats the thing, you have one year to make it worth if he stays, then if you're not the team lifting the cup. You lost your gamble and you lose him for nothing. Now thats a major stepback.

They could keep him and use the extra year for leverage.   Depends what their long term budget is for him.   If it's high enough he'll need someone to kick in a huge deal to beat it in 7.

They could keep him and use the extra year for leverage.   Depends what their long term budget is for him.   If it's high enough he'll need someone to kick in a huge deal to beat it in 7.

i dont think the Pens would gain leverage by waiting til next season. If they are forced to trade him his trade value would have decreased drastically. 

at least based on Letang's decision about that contract before the draft. Shero will know if it's impossible to keep him long term and he'll be able to make moves and still be in control. 

If he accept well thats that. They'll be in cap hell and if their 3 top paid players doesnt show up in the playoffs like they did against Boston. Well good for us. All they'll be able to afford is cheap supporting role players.

if he doesnt well Shero has options, he could move him at the draft and get a really good return if he thinks its worth it. And thats the thing, he has control of the situation.

And well you can never guess what could happen, a team could be about to pick Jones... then the phone rings... Most of those bottom teams have cap space to take Letang long term and they want to win now, so they could think getting a Norris caliber player in his prime NOW for Jones is the way to go for the right offer i dont think its impossible to see a Letang for Jones pick plus wtv pieces needed to be sent on each side to sweeten the deal considering he'd be a UFA next summer. it doesnt even have to make sense actually lol we all seen crazy deals where GM got rapped hardcore. 

i dont think the Pens would gain leverage by waiting til next season. If they are forced to trade him his trade value would have decreased drastically. 

at least based on Letang's decision about that contract before the draft. Shero will know if it's impossible to keep him long term and he'll be able to make moves and still be in control. 

If he accept well thats that. They'll be in cap hell and if their 3 top paid players doesnt show up in the playoffs like they did against Boston. Well good for us. All they'll be able to afford is cheap supporting role players.

if he doesnt well Shero has options, he could move him at the draft and get a really good return if he thinks its worth it. And thats the thing, he has control of the situation.

And well you can never guess what could happen, a team could be about to pick Jones... then the phone rings... Most of those bottom teams have cap space to take Letang long term and they want to win now, so they could think getting a Norris caliber player in his prime NOW for Jones is the way to go for the right offer i dont think its impossible to see a Letang for Jones pick plus wtv pieces needed to be sent on each side to sweeten the deal considering he'd be a UFA next summer. it doesnt even have to make sense actually lol we all seen crazy deals where GM got rapped hardcore. 

I think he's saying they'll have leverage in negotiating with Letang, not in trading him. Because time is on his side now, Letang can ask for more and hold out. When it gets down to the line, Letang will have to choose, do I want to move somewhere else for likely less years and less $$ or do I want to stay in Pitt? At that point, with the ability to offer 8 years to Letang, Pitt should have the upper hand.

I must also note, Letang isn't Norris caliber, he just puts up enough points to be in the discussion for whatever the hell they give that award out for nowadays.

Edited by ATLL765

Id at least hope Lou would give it the old college try and present Clarkson with some kind of number before just letting him walk. Im probably one of the few that value clarkson over elias right now on this forum. Of course im thinking long term here. Love elias but tn, clarkson is more important to the team in the long run.

I think he's saying they'll have leverage in negotiating with Letang, not in trading him. Because time is on his side now, Letang can ask for more and hold out. When it gets down to the line, Letang will have to choose, do I want to move somewhere else for likely less years and less $$ or do I want to stay in Pitt? At that point, with the ability to offer 8 years to Letang, Pitt should have the upper hand.

I must also note, Letang isn't Norris caliber, he just puts up enough points to be in the discussion for whatever the hell they give that award out for nowadays.

ah ok from Letang's side he meant. kk.

i dont agree though Letang is a really really good player, if he'd be in NJ some here would want a statue of him i can assure you. The only knock is that he's a Pens for most.

on a side note Tyler Seguin is on the block? wow. Per Ren Lavoie who's really reliable. I'd kill to have Seguin eventhough he's a douchebag

so apparently those guys would be on the block if the right deal is in place.

Seguin, Perron, Plekanec, Cammalleri, Ryan, Vanek, Gagner, Hemsky, Versteeg, E Kane, Gardiner, Del Zotto.

in order of who i'd wanted

Seguin

E Kane

Vanek

Ryan

Plekanec

Perron

Hemsky

Gagner

Gardiner

Del Zotto

Veersteeg

Cammalleri

our lack of depth + financial situation is pissing me off so bad though, with the names out there we absolutely don't have the pieces and money to make a big move without having to take near major step back. Some other teams (stronger than us too) can afford it without skipping a beat or not a big one. What a bad timing godamnit

Edited by SterioDesign

godamnit im excited. Stuck at the office slammed with work all weekend long plus Canaday day on monday. But man with all those hockeys news i dont mind it for a second to be stuck in front of a computer all weekend long haha

also i find that Seguin played awesome in the series,didnt get the points to go with it as the puck simply wouldnt go in but anyone who watched all their games would say that he played great

Edited by SterioDesign

If Zidlicky is asking for too much, what does everyone think of trying to get Kaberlei for a year? Probably be real cheap and he could help transition in Gelinas, Merrill, or Urbom (or whoever else is ready). 

I know he hasn't been very effective lately but in a 6th or 7th role he could be worth it. Kind of like how we used Harrold last year.

Edited by Jerzey Devil