Summer 2013 UFA/RFA Thread

Derlique

So Brown, Bergeron, Couture all signed extensions a season before potentially hitting the market. 

so just if i get this right based on what i heard here. Those GMs are all retards cause its risky for injuries. And those players are retards cause it was their only chance to see big money and deserved the rights to test the market and would be pretty stupid not to wait to see whats out there? 

am i doing it right? i think im slowly turning the corner on this. Made 100% sense now that i think about it.

Travis Zajac says hi.

True Zajac got a huge extension a year early, but honestly other than him and Brodeur I am having a tough time remembering a player who got a large extension from Lou prior to the off-season.

Stevens did also. And he did attempt to sign Zach in the RFA year, but he was coming off the knee injury and headed to arbitration (I think he signed the day before). Without the uncertainty, who knows how that would have worked out.

Lou seems to be willing to do that with the most important players. He already hinted at talking to Schneider as soon as he's allowed to.

Stevens did also. And he did attempt to sign Zach in the RFA year, but he was coming off the knee injury and headed to arbitration (I think he signed the day before). Without the uncertainty, who knows how that would have worked out.

Lou seems to be willing to do that with the most important players. He already hinted at talking to Schneider as soon as he's allowed to.

For Zach I am not going to blame Lou too much for that.  I do think that Zach had his agent speaking into his ear quite a bit and Lou was distracted by the Kovy signing which was more of JVB's doing.

I really would like for Lou to start talking to Scheider as soon as he is allowed to.  Seeing what other goaltenders are getting on the open UFA market is crazy and hopefully Lou can lock him up for a long time.

For Zach I am not going to blame Lou too much for that.  I do think that Zach had his agent speaking into his ear quite a bit and Lou was distracted by the Kovy signing which was more of JVB's doing.

I really would like for Lou to start talking to Scheider as soon as he is allowed to.  Seeing what other goaltenders are getting on the open UFA market is crazy and hopefully Lou can lock him up for a long time.

It sounded to me like Lou and Schneider have already talked about signing a long term deal but they can't do anything until next July.

It sounded to me like Lou and Schneider have already talked about signing a long term deal but they can't do anything until next July.

This seemed to be what they were saying at the interviews after the draft. Lou pretty much said he hasn't been signed because they can't yet.

I believe they can talk contract, but they can't sign one until the contract is in it's last year. It's why we heard about all the extensions this year but they didn't become official until July 1st.

That is correct.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Oh all i did was mention what you guys tells me was the right thing to do since thats the way Lou does it usually. So basically Zajac was a bad move then? Cause really it cant be both apparently.

It was being argued that it is neither better nor worse to sign players early, that it was riskier to sign the players earlier since it leaves you having 1 less season of information and change before the new contract kicks in.

You argue it must be better to sign players earlier, the counter argument was it's not better or worse and here are the negatives to early signings you weren't listing.  You continue to insist that earlier is better and say that anybody that lists the negative aspects to early signings to counter balance the negative aspects to waiting must be saying that waiting is better.

On some level it's a little ironic that you continue to misconstrue the discussion, since you're often upset at how often people are not understanding you properly.  I'm probably misunderstanding you now as well. :lol:

Oh all i did was mention what you guys tells me was the right thing to do since thats the way Lou does it usually. So basically Zajac was a bad move then? Cause really it cant be both apparently.

Nope, just showing once again that you're 'Lou ALWAYS does so and so', like most absolutes, is wrong. 

• Like 1

Nope, just showing once again that you're 'Lou ALWAYS does so and so', like most absolutes, is wrong. 

All im saying is that i dont think Lou should close the door on talking to players during the season which all reports are pointing out as fact that he simply doesnt want to do it. Zajac signing BEFORE the season starts is not going against what im saying at all.

and my post was not directed to wtv what Lou does but to the excuses you guys were making for him that it would be stupid to re-sign a player early OR for a player not to test the market. 

Stereo Design = a broken record

Give it a rest, half these long term deals are going to shaft their teams. He'll, we might get screwed on the Zajac one if he plays like he did last season. Depends on if you think the player is worth it and if the player even wants to. Plus you really don't know if Lou doesn't attempt to do this. Everything is so secret, it would not surprise me if he's approached several other players and they didnt want to re-sign at the time.

All im saying is that i dont think Lou should close the door on talking to players during the season which all reports are pointing out as fact that he simply doesnt want to do it. Zajac signing BEFORE the season starts is not going against what im saying at all.

and my post was not directed to wtv what Lou does but to the excuses you guys were making for him that it would be stupid to re-sign a player early OR for a player not to test the market. 

All of these guys you are pointing are signing before the season.

Understanding Lou's reasoning for doing what he does isn't 'making excuses.' No one says it's stupid to sign a player mid season, but you take a chance of denying yourself the whole picture when you do that. Lou has always stated that he views each season as a whole, so he would prefer to negotiate in the off season. He's made a few exceptions in major pieces like Brodeur, Stevens, and supposedly Parise, but overall, he already has an idea of what he feels a player is worth and doesn't feel the need to overpay. When you look at the guys he didn't bother overpaying, he was right a lot of the time (Gionta, Martin, Gomez).

We're saying both options are viable, not that one is better.

Somebody clearly had a rough day yesterday  :noclue:

I was severely overtired.  I just want Devils hockey.  The off-season is KILLING me because of all the completely UNFUN drama we've got.  I mean we didn't even sign on for this crap...  but I guess we did -- I guess it's all part of hockey...  -_-

2 year extension with$1.75 million cap hit for Courturier. Ridiculously good deal. Lou you watching?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD Yeah I'm sure Lou is taking notes on how to be a GM from Paul Holmgren. :P

I mean with respect to Larsson obviously.

I mean with respect to Larsson obviously.

I know, I was just busting balls lol. You're right, that hopefully will be the framework of a Larsson extension next summer. I may want a longer term than 2 years though depending on how he progresses this season.