3 Best/3 Worst Games of your NJ Devils Fandom?

CMONPETEYD

I was talking to LOTCB about the Devils vs Stars Game 6 SCF Game back in 2000 the other day and we started talking about our best and worst games as fans. Due to the fact we haven't seen many new topics lately, I thought this may be something good to stir up some memories (positive or negative)

If I had to pick my 3 best games and 3 worst games I have experienced as a fan - here they are.

Best

1. 2000 Game 6 SCF Game vs Dallas https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6szYBqMq_6k - The drama of that game was crazy, being in 2nd OT after Sykora went to the hospital. I remember where i was, my reaction, etc when Arnott Scored

2. 2003 Game 7 ECF Game vs Ottawa

-- That Ottawa team was great that year and I didn't know if we had what it took to win. Yes - that Anaheim series was good, I always thought we were better than them and should win. Ottawa was the team that year and we took it from them!

3. 2012 Game 6 ECF vs NYR

-- As simple as Henrique - it's over! Erased a lot of the heartache from 1994 - and took the overhyped Rangers down a peg or 100!

Honorable Mentions - 1988 Regular Season Finale vs Chicago, 2003 SCF Game 7 vs Anaheim, 1995 SCF Game 4.

Worst

1. 1994 ECF Game 7 vs Rangers - Proximity of rival, plus the fact that this was there only cup win makes this one sting. Henriques goal last yr finally exorcised those demons though! Still worst game i've watched as a Devils Fan.

2. 2009 1st Rd Game 7 vs Carolina - 2 goals in final 1 min 20 seconds took a series win to a series loss. Worst collapse in meaningful game i've witnessed

3. 2001 SCF Game 6 vs Colorado - Was on home ice, I was there - felt like this was our chance to do it and we came out totally flat. Lost 3-0!

OK - Your turn - share, what are your best and worst games

Edited by CMONPETEYD

I'll talk about the 3 best, worst games I attended.

3 Worst:

2009 Canes game 7, no need for explanation.

2008 Rangers game 5, Ranger fan invasion.

2012 Stanley Cup game 2, just a killer.

3 Best:

2012 Rangers game 6, my god what a feeling!

2012 Stanley Cup game 5, my only Cup Final win I saw in person so it was special.

2010 Devils Canadiens in Montreal, in terms of pure entertainment value this was the best game I saw live, I have been to over 200 games and this one always sticks out for me. The atmosphere was incredible and Halak and Brodeur put on a show to remember.

Edited by Zubie#8

Yeah I'll stick to ones I attended too:

Three best:

2003 Game 7 vs the Ducks, and I had the flu then but it wasn't going to keep me from that game.

2012 Game 6 vs the Rangers

Marty and Elias setting records on St. Patty's day

Honorable mention: 2006 Game 4 vs the Rangers

Three worst:

2009 Game 7 vs. Canes

2008 Game 5 vs. Rangers

2012 Game 3 vs. Panthers

Dishonorable mention: December 2010 vs. the Isles...the 'we forgot how to play the game' one at our nadir that season.

3 Best:

1. 2000 Stanley Cup Finals Game 6

2. 2003 Stanley Cup Finals Game 7

3. 2003 Eastern Conference Finals Game 7

3 Worst:

1. 2001 Stanley Cup Finals Game 7

2. 2012 Stanley Cup Finals Game 6

3. 2009 Game 7 collapse vs. Hurricanes

For worst in-person games, Game 1 and 2 of the 2012 Finals. Both absolutely devastating.

Three best:

1) Cup #1 win on June 24, 1995:  I was there and it was my 25th birthday.

2) Round 3/Game 6 win against the Rangers on 2012:  just because, but also because it was great to hear the world's dumbest and most delusional fanbase have to revert back to '94 YET AGAIN to feel better about themselves.

3) Tough one, because there are a LOT I could choose from, but I think Game 1 of the 2000 SCF would have to get the nod.  Belfour was clearly not on his game that night (both Daneyko's and Stevens' goals are clearly evidence of that), but Sykora's goal that made it 3-1 Devils was just awesome...and Bill Clement's reaction says it all.  But even better was the collective look of "Oh my god" on the faces of the Stars' players.  Gary Thorne added that these Devils were basically not the Devils of old, that they were speedy and dynamic. 

Three worst:

1) 2009 Round 1/Game 7 loss against Carolina:  it was just such a sudden punch to the gut, so damned JARRING.  At least when the Devils lost in the Cup Finals, the Devils looked like they were clearly going to lose for a good portion of those knock-out games.

2) 1994 Round 2/Game 6:  do I really need to say why?  Hurt more than Game 7, because the Devils owned so much of Game 6, and couldn't put the Rags away. 

3) Hard to pick a third...seen my share of WTF?! losses.  But 2001 SCF Game 6 is a good one...I went to a bar with a bunch of pals, and we all felt good about the Devils' chances...once the game was over, I felt pretty strongly that they were going to lose Game 7 too.  I didn't feel that way when the Devils lost Game 6 against the Ducks in 2003.

I mainly agree with CMONPETEYD for the 3 best/worst of all time.  For games that I have attended:

Best:

(1) Game 4 - 1995 Stanley Cup Final vs. Detroit - Pure joy celebrating the first championship after the heartbreak the year before.

(2) Game 7 - 2003 Stanley Cup Final vs. Anaheim - First time I bought my dad tickets to a game (instead of the other way around).  Fun sitting in the upper deck feeling the building "sway" after Friesen's goal to clinch it.

(3) Game 6 - 2012 Eastern Conference Finals vs. NYR - exorcising the demons once and for all in just an amazing atmosphere before, during and after the game. 

Honorable mention: Game 3 - 1995 Stanley Cup Final vs. Detroit; Games 1 and 2 - 2006 first round vs. NYR; Game 5 - 2012 Stanley Cup Final vs. LA

Worst:

(1) Game 6 - 1994 Eastern Conference Finals vs. NYR - this game was just absolutely heartbreaking and was one of the worst feelings I've ever experienced in my life (sporting event or otherwise).  I still remember the pit in my stomach that I had leaving the Meadowlands Arena that night.  Horrible.

(2) Game 7 - 2009 first round vs. Carolina - Total meltdown in the final 2 minutes.  Left arena simply stunned.

(3) Game 6 - 2001 Stanley Cup Final vs. Colorado - That team was in perfect position to repeat and cement themselves as a dynasty which nobody could deny.  Instead, they let Roy shut the door and came out with a generally lackluster effort.   

Honorable mention: Game 5 - 2008 first round vs. NYR; Game 5 - 2010 first round vs. Flyers; Games 1 and 2 - 2012 Stanley Cup Final vs. LA.

Gonna do the ones I've attended:

Best-

1) Marty's first game back from that long injury. It was against Colorado and he earned a shutout. Parise also had a pretty sweet goal 

2) Home opener this year. We shutout the Flyers, the Rock was jumping and Henrique signed the giveaway puck

3) Game vs. CBJ last year. It was the best game I saw Marty play live. He went 37 for 38 and didn't give up a shootout goal. Yet, Jared Flippin Boll got first star

Worst-

1) Game 3 ECF last year: Devils dominated but couldn't solve Lundqvist. Probably 15% Rags fans, but seemed like a lot more. Thought the series was over because he had 2 shutouts in 3 games. 

2) First game at the Rock: I was 15 at the time and remember shelling out all my money to see them christen the new building with a loss. ******* Volchenkov scored the first goal too.

3) Last game at the CAA: Yet again, Ottawa spanked us in the playoffs and Gomez saying "See you in Newark" gets me every time. 

Come to think of it...I have a really good regular season record but am 2-5 in the playoffs. 

Edited by SMantzas

3 best

1....1995 game 4 sweep and 1st cup

2....Marty getting his goal against the Canadians

3....Randy Mckay in double overtime against Boston.1995 1st round

3 worse

1...Triple overtime lose to Dallas in the finals 2000

2...game 7 lose to Carolina in 2009

3...game 6 1994.

Edited by hit the post

I too will go with attended games:

Best:

1. Devils/Rangers Game 6, Eastern Conference Finals, 2012

2. Devils/Blackhawks, St. Patrick's Day - Marty breaks the wins record, Patty breaks the team points record

3. Devils/Panthers Game 6, Eastern Conference Quarterfinals, 2012 - Zajac scores in OT to send the series to game 7

Honorable mentions:

Brodeur returns from his first major injury, posts a shutout against the Avalanche;

Eastern Conference Semis Game 2 Vs. Ottawa - only win of the series, Langenbrunner scores on a breakaway in OT (2OT?);

Devils/Penguins December 1, 2006 - My first Devils game in many many years, and first on my own (without parents), Devils win 5-2;

Devils/Flyers Opening Night 2013 - 3-0 shutout;

Devils/Kings Stanley Cup Final Game 5 - 3-1 win, only home win of the series, and only SCF game I've ever attended;

Devils/Rangers December 2008 - Clemmensen in net, Devils go up 5-1, Rangers fight back to make it 5-5, Elias scores 2 minutes later to make it 6-5, Devils win 8-5.

Worst:

1. Devils/Hurricanes Eastern Conference Quarterfinals Game 7, 2009. How the place felt leaving that night is something I've never felt before and never want to again

2. Devils/Rangers Eastern Conference Quarterfinals Game 5, 2008 (I think?). Miserable end to a miserable series

3. Devils/Flyers Eastern Conference Quarterfinals Game 5, 2010 (I think). Another no-show game to end a lousy series. This one I was working the pre-game and got to stick around, and left halfway through the second period, it was that bad.

He scores! Henrique! It's over!

Marshall against Tampa

Game 7, Philly, 2000

Game 7 2001

80 seconds of hell

Matteau Matteau Matteau

Going with attended games as well (I don't feel there's a ton to debate for best in team history),

1. "HENRIQUE! IT'S OVER!!" that's just an excellent game on so many levels

2. 2012 Rd 1, Gm 6 vs Fla very nervous heading to the arena for that one, but ended up being an exciting game and a great win

3. Kovalchuk's 1st game (sometime in Feb 2010) there was a ton of added excitement at the Rock for added dimension that we hoped Kovie would bring, and then those of us who tend to keep our heads (and the faith) were rewarded when the team came back from 2 down late in the third period

Special place in my heart: my 1st game, a 6-0 demolition of the Whalers in 1997 (Marty's 18th shutout, fyi), & 2000 rd 1, gm 1 vs Fla it's was dominating, and you could sense the excitement in the crowd about how good the team could be

The bad:

1. 2009 rd 1, gm 7 vs Car That go-ahead goal for the canes went in, my eyes popped, jaw dropped, and then I just stayed frozen like that until minutes after the final horn.

2. 2012 scf, gm 1 So much excitement coming in, very painful going out. This is the one that I think about when the "what-if"s go through my head.

3. 10/24/2006 vs Pitt I drew the ire of the Penguin fans by having the audacity to celebrate the Devils' first period goal, the 1st of the game. The Pens pretty much dominated from there on, making it hell for me.

Edited by Devils Dose

Pretty simple for me...

Best.

1. 1995 Cup win. I was there.

2. 2003 Cup win. I was there.

3. 2012 ECF win. Watched this one in a cheap hotel room in Miami Beach with a Sabres fan friend of mine. Walked around all day wearing my Devils jersey and some arrogant Rangers fan was taunting me. This definitely exorcised some demons.

HM: The 2003 ECF game when Pando scored but it didn't count (game 3?). I remember everyone around me having this feeling "hey didn't that go in?", but nobody was quite sure and it didn't get reviewed. This was one of those situations where you're thinking "well the hockey gods are against us, we're screwed now!" but the Devils stayed strong and pulled out the W. Who knows what would have happened if they didn't.

Worst.

1. 1994 ECF game 7. Was watching this over a friend's house. Just unbelievable heartbreak. We were sure the Devils would win after they tied. We were talking about going to the BBA when they won. Stupid kids. We cried when they lost. Only time I have ever cried about a sporting event. I was 12.

2. 2009 Carolina game 7. It's all been said already.

3. 2012 SCF game 6. Yeah, we all saw it coming and had a gut feeling we wouldn't be able to come back in the series, but this loss was just so gut wrenching. I wanted to turn off the TV so bad but stuck it out till the end. It was just brutal.

Going with attended games as well (I don't feel there's a ton to debate for best in team history),

1. "HENRIQUE! IT'S OVER!!" that's just an excellent game on so many levels

2. 2012 Rd 1, Gm 6 vs Fla very nervous heading to the arena for that one, but ended up being an exciting game and a great win

3. Kovalchuk's 1st game (sometime in Feb 2010) there was a ton of added excitement at the Rock for added dimension that we hoped Kovie would bring, and then those of us who tend to keep our heads (and the faith) were rewarded when the team came back from 2 down late in the third period

Special place in my heart: my 1st game, a 6-0 demolition of the Whalers in 1997 (Marty's 18th shutout, fyi), & 2000 rd 1, gm 1 vs Fla it's was dominating, and you could sense the excitement in the crowd about how good the team could be

The bad:

1. 2009 rd 1, gm 7 vs Car That go-ahead goal for the canes went in, my eyes popped, jaw dropped, and then I just stayed frozen like that until minutes after the final horn.

2. 2012 scf, gm 1 So much excitement coming in, very painful going out. This is the one that I think about when the "what-if"s go through my head.

3. 10/24/2006 vs Pitt I drew the ire of the Penguin fans by having the audacity to celebrate the Devils' first period goal, the 1st of the game. The Pens pretty much dominated from there on, making it hell for me.

Yeah, I knew I would forget something...the 2000 Round 1/Game 1 win against the Panthers was huge.  It's easy to forget this, but the Devils were looking very shaky down the stretch...they had that 5-9-2-1 streak and the mutiny that got Robbie Ftorek fired, then Larry Robinson took over (who wanted to break up the A-line initially), and the Devils went a very uneven 4-4 (with 3 of those wins coming against the three worst teams in the Eastern Conference) to close out that regular season...and of course, there was the whole weird Deron Quint situation.  I wasn't there for that Game 1, but I WAS there for Game 2, and the atmosphere was a very nervous one, even with the Game 1 win...the Devils had basically not looked good for the last 25 games of the regular season, and playoff failures were becoming commonplace since '95...there was very much a "here we go again" kind of feeling in the building before the game began.  The Devils were trailing 1-0 in that Game 2, then Niedermayer scored that 3-on-5 shorthander, the Devils went on to win 2-1, and it was like we could all breathe a little again...suddenly, it didn't feel like 2000 was going to end up like 1999, 1998, and 1997.   

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

2) First game at the Rock: I was 15 at the time and remember shelling out all my money to see them christen the new building with a loss. ******* Volchenkov scored the first goal too.

And I remember when the Devils DID score, hearing that god-awful goal horn and thinking "WTF happened to our goal horn?!"  Of course, the original Rock horn (which sounded a lot like the Hurricanes' horn) has since been replaced by one that's at least loud, but the old one will always be missed by me and others. 

My 3 best attended would probably be:

Game 6 vs Rangers 2012

Devils at Wild in 2010 when Langenbrunner scored a hat trick. I was wearing a Madden jersey and a Wild hat and some kid kept busting my balls for cheering for the devils while wearing a wild hat. Lagenbrunner had already scored 2 goals and the kid told me to take off my hat. I told him after Langenbrunner scores his hat trick I will. He scored on the empty netter, I look at the kid and threw my hat. Victory was mine.

Devils vs Maple Leafs 10/12/06 - Devils down 6-3 going into the third. Gionta scores a hattrick to tie it up and win in a shoot out 7-6. The start of the third my friend said if the devils tie it up he's taking his shirt off. After the 6th goal I look over at him and he's waving his shirt around.

Honorable mentions go to the first Retro night and Stevens retirement night.

3 Worst would be:

Game 1 vs Kings Finals. Losing the first game at home and realizing how well the Kings were playing I knew we were going to lose the series.

Game 7 vs Hurricanes. Nothing needs to be said

Game 6 at Hurricanes. Got shut out 4-0 and made the trip on the train for nothing

Edited by Vic Rattlehead18

Going with games I've attended:

Best:

1- 10/31/1988 - 1st NHL game as the Devils led by Kirk Muller and Pat Verbeek beat the Gretzky Oilers 5-4.

2- Game 7 2003 - Devils win the cup.

3- 12/23/1993 - My 1st game at MSG, Devils come back from 1-3 down to win 6-5 in OT when Richer beats Vanbiesbrouck.

Worst:

1- Opening Night @ Prudential Center, new arena excitement bit god awful game.

2- 10/1996 - Devils and goalie Jeff Reese get lit-up in Hartford 6-2 as a noreastr raged outside.

3- 2/1996 - Devils blow a 3-0 lead in Boston in last 10 minutes of 3rd period. Lose 4-3 when Bruins score winner with 7 seconds left.

Edited by MDPucks

And I remember when the Devils DID score, hearing that god-awful goal horn and thinking "WTF happened to our goal horn?!"  Of course, the original Rock horn (which sounded a lot like the Hurricanes' horn) has since been replaced by one that's at least loud, but the old one will always be missed by me and others. 

I was ecstatic when they brought back the old horn for one of the retro games. I think (not sure) they used it early in the playoffs in 2012. Can anyone verify that? Not sure why it sticks in my head.

Going with games I've attended: Best: 1- 10/31/1988 - 1st NHL game as the Devils led by Kirk Muller and Pat Verbeek beat the Gretzky Oilers 5-4. 2- Game 7 2013 - Devils win the cup. 3- 12/23/1993 - My 1st game at MSG, Devils come back from 1-3 down to win 6-5 in OT when Richer beats Vanbiesbrouck. Worst: 1- Opening Night @ Prudential Center, new arena excitement bit god awful game. 2- 10/1996 - Devils and goalie Jeff Reese get lit-up in Hartford 6-2 as a noreastr raged outside. 3- 2/1996 - Devils blow a 3-0 lead in Boston in last 10 minutes of 3rd period. Lose 4-3 when Bruins score winner with 7 seconds left.

We won the cup???? How did I miss that?

I'll do this for games attended in person:

Best

1. 2012 ECF Game 6 against the Rangers

2. 2010 St. Patty's Day game against the Penguins

3. Marty's 104th shutout against the Pens

Worst

1. 2009 Round 1, Game 7 against the Hurricanes

2. 2012 SCF game 1 OT loss to Kings

3. 2/5/13 game in Pittsburgh (5-1 loss). Only because I paid a fortune for tix, made the long-ass drive, and saw a debacle

Edited by Colin226

I was ecstatic when they brought back the old horn for one of the retro games. I think (not sure) they used it early in the playoffs in 2012. Can anyone verify that? Not sure why it sticks in my head.

I know they brought it back for a retro game against the Pens (sadly, we only got to hear it twice...the Devils lost 5-2).  I remember the fans around me enjoying hearing it again (I was #1 among them).  I don't recall hearing it during any other Rock game though.