Intriguing tidbits about New Jersey in Friedman's 30 Thoughts 6/17

Triumph

just like all of those prospects offered by Boston and pittsburgh for Iginla and morrow, it somehow got it done in a package deal

The biggest thing of value given by Pittsburgh in that deal was a 1st round pick.  The prospects had almost no value.  They were late-round picks who hadn't significantly outplayed their draft slot.  And Iginla is kinda finished, thankfully NJ is out of the running to sign him.

Joe Morrow was a 1st round pick in 2011, not 2008.  And Brenden Morrow, at the time of his trade, had 11 points in 29 games and 31 shots on goal.

Edited by Triumph

I would really, really like to see NJ trade for Carolina's #5 pick. I'm sure they're fielding offers from every team but with our excess of d men I can see it working. Take Fayne, Greene, Volchenkov...whoever you want (not Larsson).

Out of curiosity, would anyone do Larsson for #4 or #5 straight up and we keep our #9?

I know I'm probably alone in feeling this but I feel like this team is very close to a complete rebuild. We can't lose Elias without replacing ghis scoring. We still need to replace Zach's scoring. Losing both of them without replacing their production would be devastating to this franchise and I'm afraid a full rebuild (or full offensive rebuild) will be necessary.

I'm sure Henrique and Zajac will bounce back but what if they don't? What assets does this team really have at this point? A promising pool of defensive prospects, Larsson, Kovy, and maybe Henrique and Zajac (time will tell but I think we might be overrating them slightly). Honestly overall we don't have the assets a team like NYI and LAK have. I'd say our assets rank towards the bottom of the league and I'm a little bit scared.

We can't make any trades without losing anything greatly significant to the team. The only place we have spare assets to lose is on our defense which is why I think trading Larsson for some scoring help might be a good idea. We have plenty of other defensive prospects to step up even if they don't turn out as good as Larsson. There's a glaring problem on offense especially if Elias leaves. 

There's a good chance we miss the playoffs again next year and that's a good pick we won't have.

I propose we try to trade Larsson to maybe Tampa for 3rd overall and try to trade up to #5 using our #9 and whatever it takes (Henrique?). NJ gets the #3 and #5 overall and we still have a great pool of defensive prospects without Larsson. Our offensive future looks a little brighter with 2 great picks (one of which could easily be where we could be drafting next year).

Pipe dream I know but I think Lou has to make some big moves this summer or we can be in trouble in the future.

/paranoia. 

Why would, upon the realization that the team needs a 'full rebuild' would your first impulse be to trade a 20 year old player?

NJ will miss Elias's defense, not his offense - they can replace his offense on the open market without that much trouble.

A full rebuild only happens when a franchise is colossally mismanaged.  The Flames are going into full rebuild mode - why?  Their team drafted horrendously for ages and made bad trades and free agent signings.  In 2010 when you went on their capgeek page all their players were UFA at the end of their contract.  That means they're an old team.  Old teams break down for two reasons:  Players stop playing at the level at which their team is accustomed to and B: with the salary cap, old players cost way more than young ones.  It's a double whammy.  But that's not the case in NJ - you've got Henrique, Josefson, Loktionov, and Larsson, and some players in the minors who look like future Devils.  Then you've got this 9th overall pick which hopefully becomes a good player.  That's a start.  And yeah, it's not the start to a Cup winning team, probably, but who knows what the future holds.

Well my thinking with trading Larsson is that because we have such a deep prospect pool on defense we can afford to lose one or two. Sure he's probably the best of the bunch but that also means we should get a good return for him. I think that even with losing Larsson our defense could be very solid. We have next to nothing as far as offensive prospects go. We have a couple of hopefuls really.

I disagree about Elias to an extent. He did lead the team in points and he's usually up there year after year. We will definitely miss his defense but I think Zajac could fill that spot.

We do have a young core but it's nothing to write home about IMO. We'll see what our #9 adds. Like you said it's not a cup winning core which is why I think a couple of tweaks could help. We're certainly not in the worst shape in the league as Calgary is in a much worse situation but ours really isn't that much better. Not when you compare it to what other teams have. Unfortunately it's the product of a successful system that had to pick late in the first round almost every year. And it turns out our picks haven't worked out as well as they used to. Bad luck there.

It was just bound to happen sooner or later. Detroit will be going through the same thing very soon. Look at the franchises that have been great for the past 20 years. Detroit, Colorado, and Devils. All going through a tough spot right now. Colorado does have some great assets though. 

I definitely still think trading up somehow to get a top 5 pick would be a great move if they can pull it off.

I disagree about Elias to an extent. He did lead the team in points and he's usually up there year after year. We will definitely miss his defense but I think Zajac could fill that spot.

Then who fills Zajac's spot?

Then who fills Zajac's spot?

Josefson I would guess gets moved to 3rd line center.

Lokti

Zajac

Josefson

Gionta

But really all I meant was that I think we'll miss Elias' offensive production more than his defensive game (although we will miss that as well). I really really don't want to lose Elias though. He has always been a favorite of mine.