The Devils have re-signed...... Tedenby!

SterioDesign

Yer a glass is half-empty kinda fella ain't ya?

Nope, more like the glass has fallen on the floor and shattered into a million pieces type. 

I don't know that one necessarily has anything to do with the other. 

lol well i didnt say that as if i think thats whats happening or wtv, was just throwing that out there. Don't read everything im saying in a panic voice just cause im always arguing about some stuff.

Perhaps his negotiation was somewhat quicker and easier than the others? Why does it matter who signs first?

Obviously the other negotiations should be eating up all of Lou's time - there's so much negotiating that has to go on!  So much.  That's why half the players sign on the first day of free agency.

Like I said before, the Devils like to announce all their minor RFA signings on the same day, and this year will likely be no different - NJ probably won't confirm Tedenby signing until next week at the earliest.

Obviously the other negotiations should be eating up all of Lou's time - there's so much negotiating that has to go on!  So much.  That's why half the players sign on the first day of free agency.

Like I said before, the Devils like to announce all their minor RFA signings on the same day, and this year will likely be no different - NJ probably won't confirm Tedenby signing until next week at the earliest.

Of course there's negotiations going on when you are trying to re-sign FA's and no one else can talk to them. The reason half the players sign on the first day of free agency is because most of them get overpayed.

Of course there's negotiations going on when you are trying to re-sign FA's and no one else can talk to them. The reason half the players sign on the first day of free agency is because most of them get overpayed.

I also think there's a lot more tampering going on than ever gets reported too.  Some of these things get done absurdly quick, even with the overpaying.

I think the point is, most negotiating isn't a super time intensive thing when compared to the timeframe of a month or two.  The GM and Agent touch base, discuss their offers, and then separate.  Then reconvene in the future until a deal does or doesn't get done.  No amount of time, beyond the regular small amount given, set aside to negotiating is going to speed that process up.

I also think there's a lot more tampering going on than ever gets reported too.  Some of these things get done absurdly quick, even with the overpaying.

Definitely.  I don't think there are many agents who are surprised when teams call them and give their official offer the first day.  Us regular people can figure out ways to get unofficial offers to people, imagine how good the professionals are. :lol:

Edited by Devils731

Definitely. You have guys sign literally minutes into Free Agency. Didn't Biron sign with the Rangers pretty much immediately a few years ago?

I think the point is, most negotiating isn't a super time intensive thing when compared to the timeframe of a month or two.  The GM and Agent touch base, discuss their offers, and then separate.  Then reconvene in the future until a deal does or doesn't get done.  No amount of time, beyond the regular small amount given, set aside to negotiating is going to speed that process up.

I agree with that. I just think it's 2 very different types of negotiation. I don't think they are sitting at a table with Elias or Clarkson hour after hour, but I would say, like you said, that they have discussions on and off.

Definitely.  I don't think there are many agents who are surprised when teams call them and give their official offer the first day.  Us regular people can figure out ways to get unofficial offers to people, imagine how good the professionals are. :lol:

Definitely. You have guys sign literally minutes into Free Agency. Didn't Biron sign with the Rangers pretty much immediately a few years ago?

I file this under "I think everyone kind of knows it's going on, but looks the other way".  Because I think it happens a lot, but it's difficult to prove unless someone gets really stupid about it, which probably leads most teams to not want to expend the money or energy trying to find a smoking gun...there may even be a "Well, the guy didn't want to stay here anyway, so what's the point?" attitude in many cases.  We know how much verbiage goes into these contracts, outside of the years and dollars...all of the seemingly minuscule points, etc.  And these things are getting signed sometimes MINUTES after free agency begins?  It would take several hours just to READ most of those contracts!   

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

I file this under "I think everyone kind of knows it's going on, but looks the other way".  Because I think it happens a lot, but it's difficult to prove unless someone gets really stupid about it, which probably leads most teams to not want to expend the money or energy trying to find a smoking gun...there may even be a "Well, the guy didn't want to stay here anyway, so what's the point?" attitude in many cases.  We know how much verbiage goes into these contracts, outside of the years and dollars...all of the seemingly minuscule points, etc.  And these things are getting signed sometimes MINUTES after free agency begins?  It would take several hours just to READ most of those contracts!   

That's not true.  All players sign an SPC - it's a standard player contract.  It's boilerplate.  You can't go outside the bounds of it.  Beyond the complications of a no-trade clause or how the money is structured, there's not much to these things.

Whether or not there is tampering, my point is that negotiating an NHL contract shouldn't take a lot of time because there aren't many factors.  There's years, dollars, no-trade clauses.  That's it.

That's not true.  All players sign an SPC - it's a standard player contract.  It's boilerplate.  You can't go outside the bounds of it.  Beyond the complications of a no-trade clause or how the money is structured, there's not much to these things.

Whether or not there is tampering, my point is that negotiating an NHL contract shouldn't take a lot of time because there aren't many factors.  There's years, dollars, no-trade clauses.  That's it.

I may be wrong on how complicated the contracts may be then, but I don't think I am on the tampering issue.