Flyers, Briere Part Ways

cgb6397

One of those guys who had a career year at just the right time (when he went UFA)...he never came close to putting up the point total he did in '06-'07 (95 points...second-highest total was 72). 

Shooting pcts have plummeted the last two seasons. 

My initial reaction to hearing Briere might get bought out was the Devils should talk to him.  Upon looking at it more, I'm not sure how helpful he really is as a NHL player.  I think it'd be almost impossible to get a "name" like Briere at anything close to a reasonable value.

My initial reaction to hearing Briere might get bought out was the Devils should talk to him.  Upon looking at it more, I'm not sure how helpful he really is as a NHL player.  I think it'd be almost impossible to get a "name" like Briere at anything close to a reasonable value.

There's not a lot of money available this year.  The trouble is instead of money, teams will be giving out years.  So if Briere gets a 3 year deal.. no good.  And also, Dave Isaac reports that he wants to keep his family in South Jersey.

He'd be alright for a couple years at like $3.5-$4.5M, but he likes cheapshots and I'm not a fan of his.

He's even worse defensively than Tedenby if you can imagine that. Plus, he takes way too many penalties

Valid points.  But he has played in systems that were more "run and gun" than our, plus he had Philly goaltenders.

I dont' think he is worse than Teddy, I think if he can adjust to our system of responsibility he would be a great asset as our #2 center and a treasury dishing the puck on the PP.

Valid points.  But he has played in systems that were more "run and gun" than our, plus he had Philly goaltenders.

I dont' think he is worse than Teddy, I think if he can adjust to our system of responsibility he would be a great asset as our #2 center and a treasury dishing the puck on the PP.

I agree, he'd be a fine Clarkson replacement on the PP and as a 2nd line guy. I just don't like him as a player, but besides that, he'd be an ok band-aid.

He's even worse defensively than Tedenby if you can imagine that. Plus, he takes way too many penalties

That's a bit of an overstatement. At least he scores more than Tedenby and that's something we desperately need. Aside from this year and the times he's been injured, he's been a pretty steady performer offensively. Would you rather have Tedenby or Briere regularly? Briere's defense is crap though. There's no arguing that.

I'd be okay with him coming on board provided the price and years is right (1-2) and more as a 2nd or 3rd choice. I don't think 30-40 points out of him would be a stretch as long as he's relatively healthy. He's gonna miss a few games over the season, but if we could get 65-70 games out of him, he could be a good pickup. Again, its dependent on terms.

That's a bit of an overstatement. At least he scores more than Tedenby and that's something we desperately need. Aside from this year and the times he's been injured, he's been a pretty steady performer offensively. Would you rather have Tedenby or Briere regularly? Briere's defense is crap though. There's no arguing that.

I'd be okay with him coming on board provided the price and years is right (1-2) and more as a 2nd or 3rd choice. I don't think 30-40 points out of him would be a stretch as long as he's relatively healthy. He's gonna miss a few games over the season, but if we could get 65-70 games out of him, he could be a good pickup. Again, its dependent on terms.

I'd give him 1 year at 4 million but I have a feeling someone's willing to go something like 3 years/9 million and let the chips fall where they may on that 3rd year.  The Devils can afford to do this to a degree but the trouble is they probably don't have better players coming in to shove him out.

I just listened to him (Danny) on HNIC radio.  He wants to stay in the "area"! He has three boys in school and hockey, and his kids will be part of the decision where to go. One of the interviewers suggested he stay in Pa and sign with pens.  Most all Flyer players all live in NJ and this clown thinks Philly/Pitts are not all that far apart.

Devils practice/games is 110 miles up the turnpike. 

Yes, Briere will be a devil! ......that is  Unless Lou really doesn't want him.(or he wants stupid $$)