Calgary Underwater

Bartholomew Hunt

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/stunning-photos-flooded-saddledome-flames-arena-ready-season-235307585.html

Pretty crazy how bad the flooding is in Calgary. It's amazing how devastating the runoff rain water can be in mountainous regions. This reminds me of 2 yrs ago when the Susquehanna overflowed in PA near a cabin I own. It destroyed every town near the river.

I wonder how the insurance company that covers the saddledome will handle that. I mean you can't jack up an arena, so i guess they'll just make their insurance an astronomical rate.

Read that the water is up to row 10 in the Saddledome and the control room for the jumbotron is basically destroyed. This could seriously affect the Flames home games next season. I would bet that they're playing in an alternate building despite what the quotes in that article say. It looks like a small version of the Superdome after Katrina.

Imagine if the Flames were in the Finals right now.

Edited by ghdi

Read that the water is up to row 10 in the Saddledome and the control room for the jumbotron is basically destroyed. This could seriously affect the Flames home games next season. I would bet that they're playing in an alternate building despite what the quotes in that article say. It looks like a small version of the Superdome after Katrina.

Imagine if the Flames were in the Finals right now.

They would be probably playing in Edmonton which would be crazy.

They would be probably playing in Edmonton which would be crazy.

Wow. Yeah. Thats the nearest place they could, but you'd have to think Flames fans would not be thinking about traveling to attend a hockey game right now. Its hard to guess what they'd do. The only other option in Calgary is something like 7000 capacity. I wonder if they'd just have the other team host the whole thing.

Edited by ghdi

It's horrible what happened up there and looks like something that a lot of people thought wouldn't happen. Fortunately it looks like most people got out and a lot of people have been taking care of each other.

The Saddledome is owned by the city and 30 years old so who knows how much money they would/could invest in fixing up any damages. CTV has this update as of 6/22 9:46 PM:

The floodwaters reached the eighth row of seats in the lower bowl and submerged the Flames dressing room, team president Ken King said Saturday.

"That means if you were a hockey player walking from the tunnel onto the ice, you would be underwater yourself," he said. "It's very difficult to describe millions of gallons of water, sitting in that building."
-------
But everything else on the Saddledome event level -- the nerve centre for games and concerts -- was "a total loss," King told reporters at a McMahon Stadium news conference.

The event level is the lowest floor in the building. The ice plant, ice resurfacing machines, kitchens and Saddledome staff uniforms are examples of what was under water Saturday.

King dispelled the rumour that the Jumbotron was on the arena floor when the Elbow River gushed into the building early Friday morning.

He confirmed, however, the electronics that operate the massive scoreboard were under about four metres of water "and not salvageable."
-----
He couldn't begin to put a dollar figure on the loss.

"We believe our insurance is full and intact and will cover us for this eventuality," King said.
----
Next season's WHL and NHL schedules have yet to be released, but the WHL season starts the third week of September and the NHL's the first week of October.

"We're going to be ready for the opening of the season," King vowed. "That's our goal and our objective.

Here's a picture of what it looks like inside the arena:

062213_flood.jpg

They seem confident that they can open on time but who knows until they can do a proper inspection. If they had to use a temporary home for some games and the Rexall Place in Edmonton wasn't an option due to scheduling, then perhaps the Credit Union Centre in Saskatoon - about 6 and some change hours away. Holds 15,190 for hockey and hosts the Blades of the WHL.

oh man that sucks bad... could you imagine prudential getting destroyed like that id be heart broken

Why? We're you just as upset when people lost their HOMES during sandy? It's a friggin stadium owned by wealthy people with sh!tloads of insurance on it. If something like that happened to the rock they will be fine and I wouldn't shed a tear as opposed to people's houses who can't afford that same type of coverage.

God to be heartbroken over a stadium being damaged is complete lunacy.

Why? We're you just as upset when people lost their HOMES during sandy? It's a friggin stadium owned by wealthy people with sh!tloads of insurance on it. If something like that happened to the rock they will be fine and I wouldn't shed a tear as opposed to people's houses who can't afford that same type of coverage.

i think your taking what i ment a little out of context LOL.. fvcking people on here man make me laugh... if our arena got destroyed and you couldnt attend any games you wouldnt be upset and disappointed about it?.. i would be. I dont know where you come off speaking about people that lost their homes during a hurricane.. most of them should have insurance as well... but again that had nothing to do with a sporting arena getting destroyed which is what this thread is about.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/stunning-photos-flooded-saddledome-flames-arena-ready-season-235307585.html

Pretty crazy how bad the flooding is in Calgary. It's amazing how devastating the runoff rain water can be in mountainous regions. This reminds me of 2 yrs ago when the Susquehanna overflowed in PA near a cabin I own. It destroyed every town near the river.

I wonder how the insurance company that covers the saddledome will handle that. I mean you can't jack up an arena, so i guess they'll just make their insurance an astronomical rate.

i live on a border town in NY right by the Susquehanna river and have been through the floods of '06 and 2011. i got family that lives in a house that is literally right on the river bank.

i think your taking what i ment a little out of context LOL.. fvcking people on here man make me laugh... if our arena got destroyed and you couldnt attend any games you wouldnt be upset and disappointed about it?.. i would be. I dont know where you come off speaking about people that lost their homes during a hurricane.. most of them should have insurance as well... but again that had nothing to do with a sporting arena getting destroyed which is what this thread is about.

A lot of people can not afford insurance or their insurance company fights with them tooth and nail not to pay out. Look at how many people are still waiting for insurance companies to pay them for their claims and how many are given a fraction of the worth of their homes after sandy because the insurance companies want to dick them around.

If this happened to the rock I would not shed a single tear for it. At worst the devils would play at an alternate venue such as the Izod center for a little bit. Oh no! Such heartbreak for the devils to play at an arena they played at for 25 years!!

Take the fact of homes being destroyed in Calgary out of the equation, to be upset that an arena got damaged is silly. The spectrum had its roof blown off and the Hartford civic centers roof collapsed but they managed and both were repaired quicker than most single family homes are fixed after the same type of event.

I feel terrible for people in Calgary who lost their homes but I couldn't care less about the saddledome being damaged.

i live on a border town in NY right by the Susquehanna river and have been through the floods of '06 and 2011. i got family that lives in a house that is literally right on the river bank.

What town, I have a cabin in near Wyalusing and it was crazy how bad the flooding was. Did they make your family put their house on stilts or jack the house up? 

For fvcks sake, way to attack someone for thinking hockey on a hockey discussion forum.

So because someone doesn't express condolences during a catastrophe for people that are 1000+ miles away in another country, he's a lunatic? Or because he doesnt talk about the home losses first? Of course that is more important, but no one has said anything to the contrary. This is a hockey forum and equating the situation to your own team's home stadium is perfectly logical espc when theres pictures of the Saddledome in this thread as a reference point.

Get off your moral high horse. Your reaction to a comment in passing and an attempt to localize the same situation is absolutely disgusting and reprehensible. Oh look at DevsMan84, he cares so much about the people. Just because the same feelings aren't expressed on a forum where there's probably little to no Calgary citizens to begin with doesnt mean someone doesn't care or weighs the insignificant more than the significant.

I would much rather see the people that have been through this able to keep their homes and businesses and obviously the Saddledome is secondary, but that's also the only point of reference for people who've never been to Calgary. When I think of Calgary, I think of the Flames and Bret Hart, and neither of them are going to suffer because of this.

• Like 2

What town, I have a cabin in near Wyalusing and it was crazy how bad the flooding was. Did they make your family put their house on stilts or jack the house up? 

the house by the river was in Athens. the put it on stilts so that they could make dirt berms to raise the floodbank.

For fvcks sake, way to attack someone for thinking hockey on a hockey discussion forum.

So because someone doesn't express condolences during a catastrophe for people that are 1000+ miles away in another country, he's a lunatic? Or because he doesnt talk about the home losses first? Of course that is more important, but no one has said anything to the contrary. This is a hockey forum and equating the situation to your own team's home stadium is perfectly logical espc when theres pictures of the Saddledome in this thread as a reference point.

Get off your moral high horse. Your reaction to a comment in passing and an attempt to localize the same situation is absolutely disgusting and reprehensible. Oh look at DevsMan84, he cares so much about the people. Just because the same feelings aren't expressed on a forum where there's probably little to no Calgary citizens to begin with doesnt mean someone doesn't care or weighs the insignificant more than the significant.

I would much rather see the people that have been through this able to keep their homes and businesses and obviously the Saddledome is secondary, but that's also the only point of reference for people who've never been to Calgary. When I think of Calgary, I think of the Flames and Bret Hart, and neither of them are going to suffer because of this.

Aren't you already busy bitching about the draft tickets?

To be heartbroken over any arena is downright stupid. That's like saying you would be upset about your local Walmart being underwater. Both are places of business owned by extremely rich people with Insurance out to wahzoo. Sorry if I see this as a minor thing compared to people's homes being destroyed. If god forbid something happens to your home i guess I am pretty sure now what kind if reaction I should have since it is not happening to me.

Edited by DevsMan84

Aren't you already busy bitching about the draft tickets?

To be heartbroken over any arena is downright stupid. That's like saying you would be upset about your local Walmart being underwater. Both are places of business owned by extremely rich people with Insurance out to wahzoo. Sorry if I see this as a minor thing compared to people's homes being destroyed. If god forbid something happens to your home i guess I am pretty sure now what kind if reaction I should have since it is not happening to me.

Nope, and you don't care anyway because you already got yours. I already have mine as well, but still think the Devils could've done better.

Its a hockey forum and this awful flooding is 1000+ miles away in a place the majority of fans here likely have never been to. Just because something is unsaid doesn't mean that its not being thought. Even Calgarians are talking about the Saddledome and the flooding in it in their own online communities. The first pinned thread in the biggest Flames forum has to do with shocker...The Saddledome.

You attacked someone for equating it to our own stadium. I'm pretty sure a lot of Devils fans would be saddened if The Rock suffered significant damage. It doesnt mean that it matters more than someone who lost their home.

Nope, and you don't care anyway because you already got yours. I already have mine as well, but still think the Devils could've done better.

Its a hockey forum and this awful flooding is 1000+ miles away in a place the majority of fans here likely have never been to. Just because something is unsaid doesn't mean that its not being thought. Even Calgarians are talking about the Saddledome and the flooding in it in their own online communities. The first pinned thread in the biggest Flames forum has to do with shocker...The Saddledome.

You attacked someone for equating it to our own stadium. I'm pretty sure a lot of Devils fans would be saddened if The Rock suffered significant damage. It doesnt mean that it matters more than someone who lost their home.

If the rock got flooded it would suck, but I would not be heartbroken by it. It's a friggin arena and the worst that woul happen is that the devils would play someplace else for a while.

Plus with the lifespan of these arenas these days being only 20-30 years it will only be a short time before we stopped giving a sh!t about it.

If the rock got flooded it would suck, but I would not be heartbroken by it. It's a friggin arena and the worst that woul happen is that the devils would play someplace else for a while.

Plus with the lifespan of these arenas these days being only 20-30 years it will only be a short time before we stopped giving a sh!t about it.

This is besides the point. "Heartbroken" may have been too strong of a synonym for him to use, but so what? Plenty of Devils fans would be upset by the Rock being flooded similarly and many would express sadness over this. It doesnt mean it means more than the poor soul who lost his home and has no insurance, which was what you blatantly attacked someone for. One word set you off. There was no reason for it. You're the one who came off as the lunatic.

In the case of the Devils playing somewhere else, they would actually have options since there is still an arena that isnt being used for hockey 5 miles from the Rock. The nearest NHL arena to Calgary is Edmonton. We'd actually have it "easier" than them because surely we'd go right back to Izod for a short period of time.

Edited by ghdi

Nah, I got it off of CBS Sports and it's on the Flames site. They put up a bunch of photos of what it looks like inside here.

Yea yours is real. There's a photoshop doing the rounds, but its obvious because the lights are on and there are people sitting in the stands.

This is the one hes talking about

BNYEsU2CcAAktLW.jpg

Didn't Calgary need a new arena anyway?  

I think what's a little more tragic is the hockey memorabilia being lost in the flooding - apparently there was a banner from the last Stanley Cup team which was signed by the team that's been lost, among many other things.  That's what I'd be more upset about.