The David Clarkson Conundrum

Triumph

There's a good chance Lu will but expect like Darcy Hordichuk level of talent.

Tampa is looking to trade Ryan Malone, would be a nice third line winger to replace Poni, his cap hit is at 4.5 but his salary will be 2.5 million. Devils will not be near the cap and 2.5 in real cash is not that bad for him.

Edited by Zubie#8

Ill always have a soft spot for Clarkson who invited my son for a picture and was talking to him for a few minutes about hockey.  My son was 4 at the time!  Really cool!

Clarkson has always been the guy who will sign everyone's stuff, take a picture, actually say something to you instead of signing your whatever and bolting. He's always seemed like a real nice guy.

Tampa is looking to trade Ryan Malone, would be a nice third line winger to replace Poni, his cap hit is at 4.5 but his salary will be 2.5 million. Devils will not be near the cap and 2.5 in real cash is not that bad for him.

I would take Malone even if we re-signed Poni.

to me eventhough we keep on seeing reports back and forth from Detroit, Philly, Montreal etc etc all interested in Clarkson. I really think that for him it will come down to NJ or Toronto.

if i'm Clarkson its a damn thought call to make if the offers are similar. But i'd be leaning a liiiittle toward Toronto i think. Home town, upcoming good young team at every position, he has his clarkson's kid foundation in Toronto, if you look on paper the future looks brighter there.

But you can never count NJ out either, Clarkson seems to have some loyalty in him and being undrafted he wouldnt even be in the NHL without Lou and he knows the guys and the organization city and i think he likes it there. but the future is so uncertain on many levels, if you sign long term you want to look at those things too.

Toronto's future really doesn't look brighter than here, but that's because their present is so bad.   They're not an old team, they're just not a good team, and they need serious help at everywhere that isn't goaltender.

Reimer's pretty much all they've got and they're trying to get rid of him :P While also trying to run Kessel and Phaneuf out of town while resigning Colton Orr and letting MacArthur go. Clarkson can have fun there

Reimer's pretty much all they've got and they're trying to get rid of him :P While also trying to run Kessel and Phaneuf out of town while resigning Colton Orr and letting MacArthur go. Clarkson can have fun there

They just got Bernier the other day, lets see if he lives up to the hype.

Edited by Zubie#8

to me eventhough we keep on seeing reports back and forth from Detroit, Philly, Montreal etc etc all interested in Clarkson. I really think that for him it will come down to NJ or Toronto.

if i'm Clarkson its a damn thought call to make if the offers are similar. But i'd be leaning a liiiittle toward Toronto i think. Home town, upcoming good young team at every position, he has his clarkson's kid foundation in Toronto, if you look on paper the future looks brighter there.

But you can never count NJ out either, Clarkson seems to have some loyalty in him and being undrafted he wouldnt even be in the NHL without Lou and he knows the guys and the organization city and i think he likes it there. but the future is so uncertain on many levels, if you sign long term you want to look at those things too.

See... now this is my usual logic with a Rafalski or Parise situation - the playing at home thing.

In this case I think it's flip-flopped.  This is the team that brought Clarkson to the NHL.  There is his geographic home, and then there is his HOME.  For Clarkson Home is where the hockey is. Hockey being where the geographic home is? That isn't going to be that big of a pull.  You added in the last paragraph as insurance on your call "well see, I knew it was possible" ... but that's not insurance -- that is the main meat of his decision right there.  Do you understand what I mean?

Edited by Pepperkorn

In my opinion only, guys like Clarkson are few and far between. You don't want or need a team full of guys like him, but when you get one you count your blessings you've got him and you try your best to keep him. A top 5 scorer 2 years ago on a team with Elias/Parise/Kovy and a top 3 scorer last year, and an almighty PITA to other teams on every single shift. Maybe you don't go overboard paying him, but he deserves respect for the ferocity of his game if nothing else. He goes all out every second of every shift, which probably contributes to all those off sides calls, but we need that. The kids absolutely need to see that from the vets. We've got an old team and tying him up for a while will show the kids what Devils hockey means when Lou and Marty are gone (both seem 90% likely in the next 3 years). If you can, you keep this guy. He is worth more than his stats; he is a guy who could wear the 'C' someday somewhere because of his skill and his 'hit 'em harder' attitude.

• Like 2

See... now this is my usual logic with a Rafalski or Parise situation - the playing at home thing.

In this case I think it's flip-flopped.  This is the team that brought Clarkson to the NHL.  There is his geographic home, and then there is his HOME.  For Clarkson Home is where the hockey is. Hockey being where the geographic home is? That isn't going to be that big of a pull.  You added in the last paragraph as insurance on your call "well see, I knew it was possible" ... but that's not insurance -- that is the main meat of his decision right there.  Do you understand what I mean?

i dont understand at all no lol BUT know that Clarkson has his Clarkson's kid thing going on in Ontario and lots of family and friends. http://www.kitchenerrangers.com/page/clarky-s-kids

So he clearly still have some roots down there. Plus put yourself in his shoes, i could be in NJ and be the same guy i was or i could be a hero in my hometown and have a crazy amount of fans. And maybe i could get a steady first/2nd line job instead of 2nd-3rd in NJ. Who knows what he's thinking

i dont understand at all no lol BUT know that Clarkson has his Clarkson's kid thing going on in Ontario and lots of family and friends. http://www.kitchenerrangers.com/page/clarky-s-kids

So he clearly still have some roots down there. Plus put yourself in his shoes, i could be in NJ and be the same guy i was or i could be a hero in my hometown and have a crazy amount of fans. And maybe i could get a steady first/2nd line job instead of 2nd-3rd in NJ. Who knows what he's thinking

I think he's also going to have to weigh the negatives of going home. The Toronto media, as you know, is brutal. When he goes through slumps (which he does, at times), they will tear him to shreds if he's making a chunk of money there. I hope he's thinking about both sides of the coin. It's part of the reason Marty and Elias have stayed in NJ so long, being able to have relative anonymity.  

Edited by Devil Dan 56

I think he's also going to have to weigh the negatives of going home. The Toronto media, as you know, is brutal. When he goes through slumps (which he does, at times), they will tear him to shreds if he's making a chunk of money there. I hope he's thinking about both sides of the coin. It's part of the reason Marty and Elias have stayed in NJ so long, being able to have relative anonymity.  

yeah like i said imo its either here or toronto. Without really knowing the guy its really hard to say which he'd pick at equal money. But then when the other throw a crazy amount of money like Zach (overpay + home) then well its easier. 

Thats why the real "go home" that i "accept" as a legit excuse was Nied cause he actually took less money to go home.

yeah like i said imo its either here or toronto. Without really knowing the guy its really hard to say which he'd pick at equal money. But then when the other throw a crazy amount of money like Zach (overpay + home) then well its easier. 

Thats why the real "go home" that i "accept" as a legit excuse was Nied cause he actually took less money to go home.

Well, he does look up to Marty, or at least he says he does. Maybe Marty would have some influence. We'll know soon, I guess.

Well, he does look up to Marty, or at least he says he does. Maybe Marty would have some influence. We'll know soon, I guess.

but we have one year left of marty. Clarkson would be here for awhile. Thats something he has to think about. 

For the record if we let go Clarkson and that we can somehow sign a horton or use his cap space to get another good player im all for it but we'd still be missing some of the things that only Clarkson was bringing

but we have one year left of marty. Clarkson would be here for awhile. Thats something he has to think about. 

For the record if we let go Clarkson and that we can somehow sign a horton or use his cap space to get another good player im all for it but we'd still be missing some of the things that only Clarkson was bringing

i think thats the best way to put it.  It'll be sad losing Clarkson but if that were to happen, signing Horton would be a great alternative, and a similar player

You are joking, right?  I not only put myself in peoples shoes, I also see with pretty decent clarity what shoes they THINK they want.  And I have a good idea what shoes are the actual best fit.  I SOOOOO put myself into someone else's shoes that I make no sense.   Not always - sometimes I force them into mine just to prove a point  :-p  so... you don't want to go down that road with me. 

Toronto is fine - his dreams were spawned there. I don't need a link to the Kitchner Rangers page or whatever to tell me that and we always have to hear about Clarky's kids (and yes I DO always think Whatveer happened to poor Scott's Kids?)  you do not want me to go into that kind of depth with you (tldr anyone?)- but believe me when I say I've considered all you write and more. 

Clarkson will undoubtedly bring the cup to Toronto when he wins it.... with New Jersey, the only team that gave him a real shot.  The plain and simple fact is: David Clarkson will NOT make the Leafs winners single handedly.  The current management - it looks like they're heading in the correct direction I'll give them that -- but signing Clarkson ... it's not telling me anything great about where they're headed. It can't be a long-term lucrative commitment if they are a sane practical WINNING organization.  And if they're willing to sign him to something insane -  I just think Toronto has it's head up it's ass then.  You need a certain degree of realism from the team you sign with.  if it's a deal too good to be true then you have poor management and it's an unrealistic unsustainable vision - and you'll be flat on your ass in 2 seasons at best. and you'll feel like sh!t worst of all.  And Toronto being based in Toronto is not a good enough draw for this guy.  It's just not. 

The thing that's great about NJ and Clarkson - we have no expectations and signing a big contract here doesn't carry the kind of baggage signing a hugey with Toronto is going to carry with it.  Lou knows what he's getting.  No other team has that lightness to offer this guy.  It's a HUGE huge incentive to stay if you give it any real thought.

I say when he wins it with NJ,  But there may be another team out there that makes sense to sign with - yeah - I back peddle.  I dont know what's out there for him.  I dont know how any team that might really want him will see him. But NJ will match any realistic offer and probably take it up a notch because they love the guy.  If someone offers more it's such a clear sign that team is over extending itself - thus is just not going to win, the priorities are weird and they're trying to force some idea.  Only NJ can over offer and have it be normal, logical. Now if NJ undercuts him, well -- that would hurt the ego some.  I'd probably go to a higher bidder then (if it's a realistic offer), if they were a quality team. But he's not a Paul Martin fit here (Martin was a lameass dman, top of mediocre and NJ's money was best spent elsewhere I dont see Calrkson as that type of a fit at all - but what if that's what comes at him - what if I miss read the organization?) ANYHOW he's optimum performance-wise with THIS team.  He'll be weaker and less in control of his own destiny anywhere else.

If that's not how his shoes fit then he can play wherever he wants to.  A lot of people ignore the fit though and screw themselves and their careers. Best they're gone then.

Well holy cow -- the man's birthday is 4 days after my husbands. (just confirming he was BORN in Toronto not like Hamilton or something)  Oh cut and dry he's a Devil.  He IS a Devil.   He's got to stay on this team.  See now I can say - he's going to do nothing but improve here.  He can't leave... oh I'd be soooo bummed for his life if he did.  It woudln't be as tragic as Holik leaving out of spite, nor will his fall be as tragic as Gomez's. I'd be most sad if Lou let him go.  It's IS possible though.  I just can't see full picture.  What if there is more to all the stuff I never let Madden get away with that I totally let slide with Clarkson?  Because Clarkson is funny and doesn't have any chip on his shoulder.   but he does kind of suck sometimes inexplicably even  -- but he's such a Devils guy.    We'll see.   Plus he's reeeeally easy on the eyes - his looks get a little cloying and he's vain as all hell but still - it's good for the team :evil:  :uni:

^ hit the nail pretty well on the head with most of what you said.. i believe he has a clarkys kids thing here in nj also though as far as that goes.. but he brings alot on and off the ice, a good player with a good rep, agitator/enforcer.. 25-30goals, i really hope something works out for him soon.. moment i hear that he is re signed at a decent deal that is fair to both sides i will be happy as a pig in sh!t for sure

You are joking, right?  I not only put myself in peoples shoes, I also see with pretty decent clarity what shoes they THINK they want.  And I have a good idea what shoes are the actual best fit.  I SOOOOO put myself into someone else's shoes that I make no sense.   Not always - sometimes I force them into mine just to prove a point  :-p  so... you don't want to go down that road with me. 

Toronto is fine - his dreams were spawned there. I don't need a link to the Kitchner Rangers page or whatever to tell me that and we always have to hear about Clarky's kids (and yes I DO always think Whatveer happened to poor Scott's Kids?)  you do not want me to go into that kind of depth with you (tldr anyone?)- but believe me when I say I've considered all you write and more. 

Clarkson will undoubtedly bring the cup to Toronto when he wins it.... with New Jersey, the only team that gave him a real shot.  The plain and simple fact is: David Clarkson will NOT make the Leafs winners single handedly.  The current management - it looks like they're heading in the correct direction I'll give them that -- but signing Clarkson ... it's not telling me anything great about where they're headed. It can't be a long-term lucrative commitment if they are a sane practical WINNING organization.  And if they're willing to sign him to something insane -  I just think Toronto has it's head up it's ass then.  You need a certain degree of realism from the team you sign with.  if it's a deal too good to be true then you have poor management and it's an unrealistic unsustainable vision - and you'll be flat on your ass in 2 seasons at best. and you'll feel like sh!t worst of all.  And Toronto being based in Toronto is not a good enough draw for this guy.  It's just not. 

The thing that's great about NJ and Clarkson - we have no expectations and signing a big contract here doesn't carry the kind of baggage signing a hugey with Toronto is going to carry with it.  Lou knows what he's getting.  No other team has that lightness to offer this guy.  It's a HUGE huge incentive to stay if you give it any real thought.

I say when he wins it with NJ,  But there may be another team out there that makes sense to sign with - yeah - I back peddle.  I dont know what's out there for him.  I dont know how any team that might really want him will see him. But NJ will match any realistic offer and probably take it up a notch because they love the guy.  If someone offers more it's such a clear sign that team is over extending itself - thus is just not going to win, the priorities are weird and they're trying to force some idea.  Only NJ can over offer and have it be normal, logical. Now if NJ undercuts him, well -- that would hurt the ego some.  I'd probably go to a higher bidder then (if it's a realistic offer), if they were a quality team. But he's not a Paul Martin fit here (Martin was a lameass dman, top of mediocre and NJ's money was best spent elsewhere I dont see Calrkson as that type of a fit at all - but what if that's what comes at him - what if I miss read the organization?) ANYHOW he's optimum performance-wise with THIS team.  He'll be weaker and less in control of his own destiny anywhere else.

If that's not how his shoes fit then he can play wherever he wants to.  A lot of people ignore the fit though and screw themselves and their careers. Best they're gone then.

Well holy cow -- the man's birthday is 4 days after my husbands. (just confirming he was BORN in Toronto not like Hamilton or something)  Oh cut and dry he's a Devil.  He IS a Devil.   He's got to stay on this team.  See now I can say - he's going to do nothing but improve here.  He can't leave... oh I'd be soooo bummed for his life if he did.  It woudln't be as tragic as Holik leaving out of spite, nor will his fall be as tragic as Gomez's. I'd be most sad if Lou let him go.  It's IS possible though.  I just can't see full picture.  What if there is more to all the stuff I never let Madden get away with that I totally let slide with Clarkson?  Because Clarkson is funny and doesn't have any chip on his shoulder.   but he does kind of suck sometimes inexplicably even  -- but he's such a Devils guy.    We'll see.   Plus he's reeeeally easy on the eyes - his looks get a little cloying and he's vain as all hell but still - it's good for the team :evil:  :uni:

Wow lol that was quite an adventure