Devils trade #9 pick in 2013 Draft to Vancouver for Cory Schneider

'7'

I'm 50/50 on this trade. It clearly addresses a need, but I thought for sure we were going with nichushkin when he fell to us. Shocked sitting there when Bettman announced it.

I don't like trading such a high pick for a goalie in today's game. Plus, he is not a top 5 goalie like someone referred to earlier. However, he is an upgrade and provides stability going forward.

Awful, I'm sorry. The only way this makes sense if the deal was already done and Lou couldn't pull back when Nishushkin was available. However good Schneider may be, he can't score goals. And I also note that Marty has yet to be heard from. We, in effect traded a guy who you could pencil in for 20 goals this year, for a goalie who will play 30 games this year, and might be gone the year after next if Lou does his usual mo contract talks until the very end.

This is Jets taking Kyle Brady bad. This is where Lou finally lost it.

Awful, I'm sorry. The only way this makes sense if the deal was already done and Lou couldn't pull back when Nishushkin was available. However good Schneider may be, he can't score goals. And I also note that Marty has yet to be heard from. We, in effect traded a guy who you could pencil in for 20 goals this year, for a goalie who will play 30 games this year, and might be gone the year after next if Lou does his usual mo contract talks until the very end.

This is Jets taking Kyle Brady bad. This is where Lou finally lost it.

You should really check out some Vancouver boards, man. People there are jumping off bridges, that city is all about "Luongo vs. Schneider" and that's what it's been like for the last two years. They expected to get a 1st, a prospect and a roster player for Schneider (not to mention, everyone would rather trade Luongo and stick to Cory). This is the trade of the draft and everyone's talking about how the Canucks got robbed. Lou just fixed our goaltending situation with one move (and without sacrificing any players). If you think this is easy, take a look at the Flyers and how they haven't been able to make one good goalie move in like 20 years.

Edited by Revan

Posts like this are so fvcking stupid. When and if he proves what a fantastic addition he is to the team, we will re-sign him. Was it stupid of Edmonton to offer a first, second, and prospect? This is a very, very good trade. It addresses a NEED, and it's the swap of a "could-be" prospect with an established, young NHL goaltender in his prime.

Oh I'm sorry. I forgot about your time machine that sent you three years into the future. How dumb of me. New Jersey has a tremendous track record of signing UFAs to extensions.

You're a real negative son of a bitch, you know that?

Generally I'm not or at least I don't think so. Of Nishuskin was gone I could have lived with it. The Devils have no one beyond Kovy and maybe Eliad that you can count on to score goals. Nishuskin would have solved that problem.

The bottom line is we just got one of the best goalies in the league for at least the next 2 years. Gotta be happy with that. Hopefully Lou can extend him.

Yes scoring does still need to be addressed but hopefully Lou has a trade or UFA signing he's waiting for.

I'm not overly crazy about the trade itself, just because years of neglect built up into this happening, but the actual swap, they eliminated one of their biggest holes.   

I guess. Lou put us into this situation. It was either forwards or goaltending. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Great move Lou. I hope Cory beats out Marty for the starting role this coming season.And he is cheaper than Marty so maybe Marty won't get another year. We now have solid goal tending with a decent defense so lets get some offense for this coming season. This was a terrific move.

Generally I'm not or at least I don't think so. Of Nishuskin was gone I could have lived with it. The Devils have no one beyond Kovy and maybe Eliad that you can count on to score goals. Nishuskin would have solved that problem.

Agreed. And if you believe that Lou will run out and get a top level UFA forward then I want what you're smoking. Lou's recent track record shows that he only goes after low hanging fruit when it comes to forwards.

Have you read up on Nichushkin? He's not consistent at all. His numbers have never been that impressive. I wanted the devils to draft him when he was available but he is a gamble. He is not nearly a "lock" or 20 goals. We got a stud goaltender in his prime. And since he knows he will absolutely have the starting position when he's nearing the end of his contract I don't see him leaving. He doesn't want to go somewhere and get put in another Vancouver situation.

Agreed. And if you believe that Lou will run out and get a top level UFA forward then I want what you're smoking. Lou's recent track record shows that he only goes after low hanging fruit when it comes to forwards.

Supposedly Briere actually wants to come to the Devils. Would not be surprised if we are on his short list come Tuesday. The other two (vinny & Horton) we don't have a shot at getting

Right now, it's a great trade. If Schneider re-signs in two years, it's a great trade. If he leaves when his current contract is up... well, we'll have to cross that bridge when (if) we come to it. Even if Schneider ends up getting a huge payday from someone else, we'll still have Wedgewood in the system (hopefully), so it shouldn't be that big of a blow.

Bottom line, it's a lot easier to get scorers than it is to get legit #1 goaltenders in their prime. We just got the latter and we did it without sacrificing ANYONE currently from our roster. Now it's time to sign some free agents.

Guys, you can't expect to get a guy signed for life for just a 1st round pick (and if you do, it means he has an albatros contract you have to accept and you are the one getting screwed in the trade).

Remember those deadline deals? A 1st plus assets for TWO MONTHS of a guy? Yeah, keep complaining.

Injuries killed us this year.  19-19-10 was not good enough.  We'll now be more competetive.  I'm looking to being over .500 next year.  Welcome Cory !

As for who we would've drafted, we'll likely see that answer in 2-3 years.   Generally speaking a #9 pick results in a good player 2/3 times and a marginal player the other time.   

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=426689

Schneider, 27, has a save percentage of .931 over the last three seasons,best among goaltenders with at least 75 games and was expected to be the Vancouver Canucks' goatlender of the future, but their inability to move out Roberto Luongo and his sizeable contract, left a Schneider deal as the only viable solution to Vancouver's financial and goaltending concerns.

However, for a variety of reasons, Schneider is a 27-year-old that has yet to play even 35 games in an NHL season and if he's going to be a top-tier starting goaltender, it's about time to take on a starter's workload and maintain the high level of play he's established in his limited NHL playing time.

In New Jersey, the Devils have Martin Brodeur, who has been the backbone of the franchise for nearly two decades, but Brodeur has a .905 save percentage over the last three seasons, which ranks 29th out of 31 goaltenders to have played at least 100 games, and he's 41-years-old, so it's entirely understandable that the Devils are looking to upgrade

Edited by BlueSkirt

Nishuskin dont score taht much in the KHL... Devils trade their pick because they couldnt have a real goal scorer a that position (he still love shinkaruk)

Be hey im really happy and exited...

I have friend who are canuck fans and they hate the trade.... They thought they would have a 1 pick  a 2 pick and a legit top 6 player