Devils trade #9 pick in 2013 Draft to Vancouver for Cory Schneider

'7'

I like this deal.  Offense comes and goes, but the Devils were going to walk into next year with the worst goaltending in the league.  They just fixed that.  And they have an older-ish team - yeah, it'd be nice to get someone in this year's draft, but you've got Kovalchuk around for a long time - if you think he can hold up until he's 35 (which a lot of his comps do), you're not set there, but you're not doing badly either.

The trouble is that Schneider is only signed for 2 more years and will command elite goalie prices when he comes available.  But you look around the league and a lot of teams already have their guy signed through that year, it's not a bad risk to take from that perspective.

I'm actually pretty indifferent about the trade. However, I am concerned about Lou's almost complete disregard for bringing on any solid offensive talent and Kovy doesn't count.

You don't 'bring on' talent when you draft a player at 9th overall.  You hope that he improves enough to be able to play in the NHL (and hopefully excel).  Like I said, when you look historically at the draft, only half of the guys taken between 7-11 turned out to be average or better players.

Nishuskin dont score taht much in the KHL...

He hasnt even been in the KHL long. 6 pts in 18 reg season games and 9 in 25 playoff games. His KHL stats aren't the gauge of his talent. He was also 17 when he joined Traktor. 

We stole a fantastic goaltender for potential. While I wanted Nichushkin, we got Cory Schneider a true heir to Marty's throne,

Guys, you can't expect to get a guy signed for life for just a 1st round pick (and if you do, it means he has an albatros contract you have to accept and you are the one getting screwed in the trade).

Remember those deadline deals? A 1st plus assets for TWO MONTHS of a guy? Yeah, keep complaining.

The leverage is in the moment.  Teams pay big at the deadline because they think that player might put them over the top.  Today, the leverage was with the pick holder.  Personally, I would have traded it for more picks.  Schneider has never been a number one goalie.  He's been a 1b and only for a small sample.  He's already 27 years old.  That's the age of free agency, already.  Sure, he has two years left on his contract but he's already at the age when he gets to make all the decisions. 

Schneider is on the phone on TSN right now. Sounds like he's kind of tired hearing all the trade speculation for the last few years - hopefully it means he'll get a deal done with us ASAP to avoid more rumours. ;)

I like this deal.  Offense comes and goes, but the Devils were going to walk into next year with the worst goaltending in the league.  They just fixed that.  And they have an older-ish team - yeah, it'd be nice to get someone in this year's draft, but you've got Kovalchuk around for a long time - if you think he can hold up until he's 35 (which a lot of his comps do), you're not set there, but you're not doing badly either.

The trouble is that Schneider is only signed for 2 more years and will command elite goalie prices when he comes available.  But you look around the league and a lot of teams already have their guy signed through that year, it's not a bad risk to take from that perspective.

The Devils are spending $8.5M (and maybe $10M if they humor Moose and keep him around) on goaltending this year, though, so it's not as if the "slot" won't be established to sign him.

The Devils are spending $8.5M (and maybe $10M if they humor Moose and keep him around) on goaltending this year, though, so it's not as if the "slot" won't be established to sign him.

I think it's more than $8.5 since Brodeur is getting 5 million this year despite the $4.5 cap hit.

I think it's more than $8.5 since Brodeur is getting 5 million this year despite the $4.5 cap hit.

I was just using cap slot, but even better, then.   When Marty comes off the book, you have all of that to apply towards Schneider and you shouldn't have to use it all, unless he plays spectacular and Lundqvist signs for a metric fvckton

I was just using cap slot, but even better, then.   When Marty comes off the book, you have all of that to apply towards Schneider and you shouldn't have to use it all, unless he plays spectacular and Lundqvist signs for a metric fvckton

Maybe not.  The teams I can think of right now who would be interested in Schneider are Pittsburgh, Calgary, and Edmonton.  Edmonton might not have the cap room (everyone is off their ELC by that point).  Calgary will be awful.  Pittsburgh might not have the cap room.  NJ might be bidding against only a few teams.

Edited by Triumph

I'm so excited about the trade and what it means to this franchise! So much better to have Schneider than another question-mark forward. Considering our questionable drafting the last few years, I'd take the sure bet in Schneider and we've got him for two years, at which point we can pay him whatever he's worth because Marty and Moose will be out of the picture.

Scoring will come from somewhere, free agency is shaping up to be crazy this year. But Schneider addresses a huge need and likely turns us into a playoff team once again.

You don't 'bring on' talent when you draft a player at 9th overall.  You hope that he improves enough to be able to play in the NHL (and hopefully excel).  Like I said, when you look historically at the draft, only half of the guys taken between 7-11 turned out to be average or better players.

Yeah, a #9 pick is not a sure thing.  Schneider at the very least has shown he play in the NHL, and stop pucks at a terrific rate.  

But let's face it...if the Devils went into next season with the same goaltending tandem, it had the potential to not only be a major disaster, but disastrous at the expense of the best player ever to put on a Devils jersey.  As long as Schneider plays as well as we all believe he will, Marty should be able to avoid a tough year, performance-wise.  He may not play as many games as he would like, but I believe that Marty will understand that a guy in his prime stopping over 92% of the shots coming his way is better for the team than a guy who is struggling to stop 90% of the shots and is clearly on the decline.  Every great player has to eventually make way for someone else.  If all goes well, Marty hopefully adds 15-20 wins to his lifetime total, has some vintage Marty performances here and there, and ends his career on as high a note as is possible.

I think we saw the best of what Marty had left in that 50-games-or-so stretch of 2012 (that includes the playoffs).  I don't think we'll ever get that level of play from Marty again.