Devils trade #9 pick in 2013 Draft to Vancouver for Cory Schneider

'7'

I'll feel a lot better about the "goalie of the future" when Lou signs him to an extension after next year. Not going to be happy if they gave up 9th overall for 2 years of Schneider. Would've liked the deal better if the Devils added in their 2nd and also got back Van's 24th overall. Schneider has never played more than 33 games in a season, which I feel like would help inflate his numbers. Still a big upgrade over Brodeur and Hedberg but I'm not able to get as excited about this as others at this moment in time.

Vancouver fans should be happy getting Horvat and Shinkaruk in their 1st round.

Hopefully Lou doesn't go "status quo" with 8 D again next year and actually makes a trade or signing for someone who can actually score a damn goal.

Great Trade for the Devils. Upgrades our goaltender situation immediately. Our next 2 years in goal will be solid. After this trade, my confidence in Lou has grown a lot, and I firmly believe Lou wouldn't have made this trade if he didn't believe Schneider wouldn't sign an extension or re-sign after his contract ends. As Lou said, Schneider is the goalie for the present and for the future, which shows he believes he will re-sign him.

IN LOU WE TRUST   

Edited by Devs3cups

I'll feel a lot better about the "goalie of the future" when Lou signs him to an extension after next year. Not going to be happy if they gave up 9th overall for 2 years of Schneider. Would've liked the deal better if the Devils added in their 2nd and also got back Van's 24th overall. Schneider has never played more than 33 games in a season, which I feel like would help inflate his numbers. Still a big upgrade over Brodeur and Hedberg but I'm not able to get as excited about this as others at this moment in time.

Vancouver fans should be happy getting Horvat and Shinkaruk in their 1st round.

Hopefully Lou doesn't go "status quo" with 8 D again next year and actually makes a trade or signing for someone who can actually score a damn goal.

Well put.  I also think Vancouver did pretty damn well.  Horvat, Shinkaruk, Cassels, and Subban.

I like the trade for both NJ and Vancouver.  I'm curious how the team transitions since I think it's pretty clear at this point Schneider is better than Marty, and Marty does not seem like someone willing to step aside easily.  I also wonder if the fact that the Devils are going to forfeit their first rounder next year played into the decision making at all.

Also FWIW the Sharks played the Canucks last year in the playoffs and I thought Luongo outplayed Schneider (who was hurt) in the 4 games they played.   

Yep, Marty's 4.5 million will be gone by then. 

And other players contracts like tallinder, Fayne etc. There will definetely be space, space will not be the issue.

I really believe Schneider will be back after his 2 years to be the number 1 goalie for years to come.

Edited by Devs3cups

It’s an interesting move, I was hoping that we would somehow trade back in to the first round but I guess we didn’t have the pieces.

I really like Corey Schneider, and have wanted him on the Devils for a long time as the successor to Marty, but at the same time it was disappointing to pass over some talented players at forward.

The deal does solve a problem for the here and now though, and it was a frightening prospect heading into next season with Marty and Moose both back there, neither of them is capable of holding down the workload that would be required.

i dont have too many Vancouver fans on my facebook but the few i had were freaking out lol they are all jumping off bridges

The amount of freaking out I've seen amongst Vancouver fans makes me consider this trade a ridiculous success for the Devils. You have people saying the Devils are their new team. People saying this is the worst trade in Canuck history rivaling the Neely trade, etc... Lou won yesterday.

The amount of freaking out I've seen amongst Vancouver fans makes me consider this trade a ridiculous success for the Devils. You have people saying the Devils are their new team. People saying this is the worst trade in Canuck history rivaling the Neely trade, etc... Lou won yesterday.

Don't know if you saw Gillis' comments after Lou made his, but Gillis' GM-speak basically came off as "Don't kill me, I know everyone is going to say I should've been able to get more..."

And Lou came off about as giddy as someone like Lou is capable of. 

And yeah, Vancouver fans are FURIOUS about this.  Some of them are starting to try to see the bright side, and are backing away from the ledge, but in general they are PISSED about this, and are really roasting Gillis. 

Not that it's our problem, but I just wonder how the Canucks get Luongo's head back in the game, because that pretty much has to happen now.  And what do the Canuck fans do?  Do they boo him at the home opener, just because?

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Can't boo a guy like Luongo.

The problem to me with what the Canucks did is that they're a win-now team - the Sedins aren't going to be young again, Kesler's body won't hold up for much longer, Luongo's likely on the decline, etc.  If they shipped #9 elsewhere for young players that could help now, that might make some sense.

The problem to me with what the Canucks did is that they're a win-now team - the Sedins aren't going to be young again, Kesler's body won't hold up for much longer, Luongo's likely on the decline, etc. If they shipped #9 elsewhere for young players that could help now, that might make some sense.

The problem is the lack of cap space and that ownership did not want to buy out Luongo. I don't know what kind of cheap impact roster players you could get for pick 9.

I think the thing that Canucks fans are most pissd about is that the team prints money, but ownership was too cheap to bite the bullet and buy out Luongo, but keep the better goalie. That and Gilles majorly screwed up at last years draft.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

The problem to me with what the Canucks did is that they're a win-now team - the Sedins aren't going to be young again, Kesler's body won't hold up for much longer, Luongo's likely on the decline, etc.  If they shipped #9 elsewhere for young players that could help now, that might make some sense.

It clearly wouldn't do them any good to boo him...just hard to tell who the fans will direct their anger towards...it's clearly been dysfunctional lately, but Vancouver, Luongo, and everyone involved are going to have to find a way to make this work, especially since, like you noted, the Canucks are very much a win-now team.   

I think the thing that Canucks fans are most pissd about is that the team prints money, but ownership was too cheap to bite the bullet and buy out Luongo, but keep the better goalie.

I'm very pleased with this deal, but I'm not certain we got the better of Vancouver's goalies.

Well put. I also think Vancouver did pretty damn well. Horvat, Shinkaruk, Cassels, and Subban.

They got all the steals at the draft, all the kids who went a few (or a lot of) picks back than maybe they should have one, nice picks by Vancouver..

Yeah because it sounds like Luuuuuuu

Haha yeah this was my point, was hoping someone would pick up on it.

Trades of high draft picks are stunning from both sides, no one in Vancouver expected this, nor anyone in New Jersey, and I imagine each would react badly to it at first.  I know I was shocked and I was watching the draft on DVR.  

re:  Schneider not being the best goalie - maybe not, but he's much younger and he's really never had a bad season at any level.  Throw in that his contract isn't a nightmare and he's the guy I'd rather have.

Edited by Triumph

Haha yeah this was my point, was hoping someone would pick up on it.

Trades of high draft picks are stunning from both sides, no one in Vancouver expected this, nor anyone in New Jersey, and I imagine each would react badly to it at first.  I know I was shocked and I was watching the draft on DVR.  

re:  Schneider not being the best goalie - maybe not, but he's much younger and he's really never had a bad season at any level.  Throw in that his contract isn't a nightmare and he's the guy I'd rather have.

I was more stunned than anything else for the first few seconds, then quickly went into "Makes sense" mode.  Maybe it's not as sexy as drafting a potential scorer, but the Devils clearly have multiple holes to fill, and I thought Lou filled this one (which let's face it, was looking like a HUGE one) as well as could possibly be expected.  I don't know if Schneider is an exclamation point yet, but he's much much MUCH less of a question mark than everything else the Devils currently have.   

What makes this great is that it's potentially a set-in-stone guy for 7-8 years, maybe even a little longer (barring injury of course)...up until this deal was made, it looked like the Devils could become the Flyers in goal for the next few...bodies in, bodies out, bring in stop-gap types, hope one of the "maybe" kids gets it done for a while...

Before the Bryzgalov debacle, the Flyers' goaltending really wasn't that bad.  A revolving door, sure, but the team made the playoffs almost every year.  I would be more than fine with that as long as the guys they were getting were decent.  There's still large risk associated with this deal - Schneider's going to need to be signed to a big contract if he's as good as he seems.  

Schneider is probably smart.  Probably? ... he IS smart.  He's smarter than Luongo by miles.  He's proven he can shake off over-thinking too.  That is the biggest danger though, over-thinking.  I think having Marty will really help - he's got a lot of challenges but it's got to be really exciting for him.  I'd be SOOO excited if I was him - I'd want to go right into practice!  I'd have such that glow - that unrealistic feeling - like "I got it"  like every five minutes it would be re-dawning on me.  I hope he's feeling that.  It's so damm FUN!  I hope it's a great way to start his Summer - like reliving your draft even - but selected 9th the second time around.  :wub:  So much to do... think about moving. Being closer to home.  Bummed about leaving too a little. 

<_<  I was going to delete all that, but this is honestly how bad it is for me stepping into other peoples shoes.  it's like a horrible habit.  I go through life this way.  Can you even believe someone suggested I do it? :giggle:

ANYHOW - I am very deeply colored by the Vancouver fan here.  My bud was suicidal before the Torts hire.  Then after Fonzy was brought on board he just became bemused at the absurdity of it. (He was sure Gillis would HAVE to be gone after the past season).  Now... well  he hasn't replied to any of me emails.  I'm just glad football season started to take his mind off the Canuck debacle.

HEY -- I wrote debacle before I even saw Tri's post.  Just sayin'... :giggle:

Edited by Pepperkorn