Devils trade #9 pick in 2013 Draft to Vancouver for Cory Schneider

'7'

AND since I'm holding forth after weeks of relative silence. 

I'm most worried about Patty not coming back.  When I see his reactions during games and I put myself in his shoes (one day I'll let that die) I'd be mighty sick of not getting to play hockey - the hockey I know and love.  It's no the system killing patty -- it's the total lack of defence and goal.  He can't just relax and push forward without our sh!tty D looming over his head.

If I'm him I am just hoping a REAL team wants me in my dotage.  I do see there isn't much better out there that's really viable.  but I'd be really sick of this crap.  If I were Patty I'd want one more Cup and be kind of grumpy at the thought that it was already my turn - it's someone else's now.  Horsefeathers - now is the time and it IS his turn - like a dano or a Stevens he wants one more taste when he knows what he's got and he can sit his kid in the cup.  I mean -- when you win it twice you DO kind of think it's your right :evil:  But that's just gravey really -- mosty I think he wants to play and to teach kids how to be real forwards not just keep their mind continually on the backcheck.

Getting Schneider offers a real glimmer of hope for our vets.  It tells me Lou isn't out of touch, his mind is in the present, not down the line after Patty's been put out to pasture.

So I dont think it's the money that's the signal for his value.  It's the support he needs to really enjoy his twilight years on ice. He's a scoring forward who sacrifices a LOT personally to keep this team in the hunt.  He needs to be shown that THAT is appreciated and that the team will do mroe than it's best to give him the chance to play the game he loves, you know?  And this says that to him.  This is one of the best ways Lou can prove his appreciation for all that Patty brings - that he wants the joy of hockey for his players as much as the winning for the organization.  He's NOT at all out of touch, his hands are just really tied the majority of the time.

I just hope Patty sees it that way.  Mostly though - I hope Patty DOES get to play his own game again.  I'd understand if he left.  and I'd feel like a big fat loser of a team - but life goes on!!

Edited by Pepperkorn

Maybe Schneider can't score goals, but he can sure stop them, and a whole lot better than the guys who tried to do that last season.  And he's in his prime to boot.  Hopefully, it will be Marty playing 30-35 games or so (tops) and playing well enough that he can exit the game cleanly and gracefully. 

Agreed 100% I want Corey in net for 50 games next year...

Put Schneider in net instead of Hedberg this season and im CONVINCED we we're making the playoffs. I still didnt have time to do it but i seriously want to go back and look at all the goals against Moose this season and im gonna throw out there that im sure 75% of them were in his 5hole, ridiculous.

Before the Bryzgalov debacle, the Flyers' goaltending really wasn't that bad.  A revolving door, sure, but the team made the playoffs almost every year.  I would be more than fine with that as long as the guys they were getting were decent.  There's still large risk associated with this deal - Schneider's going to need to be signed to a big contract if he's as good as he seems.  

There's pretty much risk with everything, even the deals that seem like automatics on paper. 

I'm not a big fan of "revolving door" situations, not knowing what you're getting from year-to-year, even if the team manages to make the playoffs most of the time.  I don't kid myself...Brodeur-types who enjoy roughly a 16 to 17-year prime (and do it all for one team) are once-in-a-generation phenomenons.  If you find a goalie who can play consistently well for you for 5-10 years, and remain healthy for most of that time frame, you've done very well for yourself.  As it looks like Schneider has at the very least a good chance to be that kind of guy, it's impossible not to be happy about this, even with the inherent risks (like a big contract that could be bad at some point during its term). 

Something that gets lost on the Brodeur-bashers...never once was his contract ever a bad one, which speaks volumes as to just how consistently good he was right up until the 2010-11 season reared its fugly head.  Some may argue that the contract he's on now is bad, but that last one was as much of a lifetime achievement contract as anything else...I know Lou has hoping the Brodeur of the last 50 games or so of 2012 would show up, but I also think Lou was plenty smart enough to realize Marty might not be so good during the length of that final deal. 

Put Schneider in net instead of Hedberg this season and im CONVINCED we we're making the playoffs. I still didnt have time to do it but i seriously want to go back and look at all the goals against Moose this season and im gonna throw out there that im sure 75% of them were in his 5hole, ridiculous.

Hedberg finished the season with an .883 save%.  This is what is known in the current NHL as God-awful and then some.  It's hard to be worse than that. 

Another reason why this is great?

Marty gets hurt so frequently these days. Having an elite goalie like Schneider able to play all these games will be awesome.

Hopefully the breakdown goes:

Schneider- 50 games

Brodeur-32

im really hoping for a smooth 50-50% game split where both goalies do great and where Marty can retire on a good note. And not where Marty will be pushed to the backup job because he's playing poorly

Not that it really matters but it would be sad that he goes while its everywhere that "Marty got his #1 job stolen" bla bla bla. Everyone KNOWS that Schneider is clearly better at this point but for Marty's legacy i just want him to walk into the sunset with his head high and retire at the top.

Edited by SterioDesign

Some great quotes here from Lou

http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/fireice/comments/lamoriello_on_schneider_were_getting_a_goaltender_not_only_of_the_present_but_of_the_future/

He also mentions that they will be announcing some FA signings "soon".  Additionally, TG said Elias doesn't want any of his negotiation details in the meadia, which would explain why we've heard absolutely nothing.

Something that gets lost on the Brodeur-bashers...never once was his contract ever a bad one, which speaks volumes as to just how consistently good he was right up until the 2010-11 season reared its fugly head.

I mean, no?  He had a 5.2M cap hit and was playing barely over replacement level for 2 years.  Then he had a 4.5M cap hit and didn't play over replacement level.  Hard to imagine you should have to pay more than $6M total for the goaltending Brodeur gave them, instead they paid $15M.

im really hoping for a smooth 50-50% game split where both goalies do great and where Marty can retire on a good note. And not where Marty will be pushed to the backup job because he's playing poorly

Not that it really matters but it would be sad that he goes while its everywhere that "Marty got his #1 job stolen" bla bla bla. Everyone KNOWS that Schneider is clearly better at this point but for Marty's legacy i just want him to walk into the sunset with his head high and retire at the top.

From the sounds of it they are going to let them try to outplay each other, which could work out great for us. I really hope Marty sees the writing on the wall. 

In that article I posted from TG, Lou also says he will speak to Hedberg today.

I mean, no?  He had a 5.2M cap hit and was playing barely over replacement level for 2 years.  Then he had a 4.5M cap hit and didn't play over replacement level.  Hard to imagine you should have to pay more than $6M total for the goaltending Brodeur gave them, instead they paid $15M.

You're ignoring the Vezina years where he was making $5.2m

The only rough seasons I consider him having are 2010-11 and beyond, and in 2012, he played pretty well for the final 50 games or so (including playoffs)...about a .920 save%...unfortunately, fans have been lumping '10-'13 as all bad lately.  From '93-'94 to '09-'10, I don't see where you can say he was a bad value.   

You're being a bit too forensic on this one.  For a good portion of his prior contract (6 years), he was still very much Marty, and played well for a fair portion of the final year of his deal (2011-2012).  Even in 2010-11 he played pretty well from 12/29 on.     

His last contract before his final one was for 6 years and $31.2 million.  It began in 2006-07.

'06-'07, '07-'08, and '09-'10 were typical Marty years.  He won the Vezina in 2007 and 2008

'08-'09 was injury-shortened, but when he did play he was same old Marty for most of it. 

'10-'11 and '11-'12 were inconsistent, but he was also getting up there in age and especially in games played by that point. 

C'mon Tri, did you really think that every single year was going to represent awesome value on that contract?  Overall I don't think you can argue that that this 6-year deal could be considered lousy from a cost standpoint. 

$5.2M was not a huge bargain in those days.  Brodeur won the Vezina in 2006-07 when the salary cap was $44M - a comparable goalie would be paid 7.59M in 2013-14 dollars and we know this coming year's cap is artificially low, so that number should likely be revised upwards a bit.  That still represents value, both given how much and how well Brodeur played, but it's not a steal.

In all, I think yeah the deal paid for itself, but let's stop cutting up years like that's a meaningful division - the end result was that Brodeur's numbers were not good on the final 2 years of the deal.  NJ paid for those bargain years in the later years.

Edited by Triumph

Some great quotes here from Lou

http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/fireice/comments/lamoriello_on_schneider_were_getting_a_goaltender_not_only_of_the_present_but_of_the_future/

He also mentions that they will be announcing some FA signings "soon".  Additionally, TG said Elias doesn't want any of his negotiation details in the meadia, which would explain why we've heard absolutely nothing.

Thanks for the link

Reaction video to the trade announcement:

I know I went nuts lol

haha - I like to think that the little blonde girl was thinking OH GOD NOT LUONGO!!

$5.2M was not a huge bargain in those days.  Brodeur won the Vezina in 2006-07 when the salary cap was $44M - a comparable goalie would be paid 7.59M in 2013-14 dollars and we know this coming year's cap is artificially low, so that number should likely be revised upwards a bit.  That still represents value, both given how much and how well Brodeur played, but it's not a steal.

In all, I think yeah the deal paid for itself, but let's stop cutting up years like that's a meaningful division - the end result was that Brodeur's numbers were not good on the final 2 years of the deal.  NJ paid for those bargain years in the later years.

In bold:  that's all that need be said.  Marty was around 34 years old and had already played a sh!tload of games when he signed that deal...everyone knew (including Marty himself, if you read his book) that the end of the contract was probably not going to represent much in the way of value, as he was going to turn 40 as it expired. 

And I do think it's appropriate to discuss individual years, because it seemed like you were trying to imply that the '06-'12 deal was somehow not a good one.  For where Marty was in his career (age and games played to that point), I think it paid off very well overall.     

If 2011-12 had started with him playing well and ended with him really struggling over the last 50 games (the opposite of what happened), and the Devils hadn't enjoyed the Cup run and had gotten knocked out quickly in the first round with Marty not playing well, who knows, maybe he doesn't get the lifetime, two-year, "Thanks for everything" deal.  But considering how he played for that stretch, and that we all know what he's meant to the franchise, and the fact that the Devils didn't have any bodies ready to step in...I can understand why Lou did the final two-year deal, even though  just about everyone involved knew that one could truly have a chance to be "bad" from start to finish.       

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

All who had bigger cap hits than Marty at around the same time Marty signed his deal:

Khabibulan; Luongo; Nabokov; Theodore; Turco.  And those are just the goalies that I could find on Capgeek, and wouldn't include players not in the league anymore that fizzled out. 

Marty's deal was great for the team.  End of story.  I know you have some kind of thing against him, but whatever.