Devils trade #9 pick in 2013 Draft to Vancouver for Cory Schneider

'7'

The highest SV% (min 100 games) over the last 3 years should earn you that over the team with arguably the wrost starting goalie in the league. If Schneider plays fewer than Marty, it would be ridiculous

Schneider only gets over 100 games career by adding in his playoff appearances. Regular season only he hasn't played 100 NHL games yet.

I have no problem w/ a 50/50 split this year, But Marty has to be on his retirement tour, I donot want him back for anothe 2 years after this, he was quoted as saying he's not sure if this is it or not...

The Devils have already done their part in being fair to him...they gave him the 2-year, over-value deal.  They're still calling him the #1 guy.  If Marty performs to the overall level of the three seasons, and insists that he's still got something left, as awkward as it will be for everyone involved, the Devils will have to let him go.  The last thing a franchise should ever do is Mark Messier themselves into a corner and let a player start dictating to them what he's going to do.  I've said it before, I really don't think Marty will do this to them, so I really don't think it will come to this.

The Devils have already done their part in being fair to him...they gave him the 2-year, over-value deal.  They're still calling him the #1 guy.  If Marty performs to the overall level of the three seasons, and insists that he's still got something left, as awkward as it will be for everyone involved, the Devils will have to let him go.  The last thing a franchise should ever do is Mark Messier themselves into a corner and let a player start dictating to them what he's going to do.  I've said it before, I really don't think Marty will do this to them, so I really don't think it will come to this.

I mean, the Devils could keep him on past next season, but at backup money, and as the backup only.  If he wants to play 20 games at $1.5M, great, but if he wants more playing time or more money it will have to be elsewhere.

I mean, the Devils could keep him on past next season, but at backup money, and as the backup only.  If he wants to play 20 games at $1.5M, great, but if he wants more playing time or more money it will have to be elsewhere.

Seems weird that he'd want to go out that way, but it's his legacy.  I wouldn't object to 20 or so games at backup money either...just can't picture that.  And how effective should a 42-year-old with the most miles ever for an NHL goalie be expected to be?  Can't say I'd be terribly enthusiastic about watching Marty limp his way towards 700 wins, to the tune of a 7-10-2 backup record or something like that. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Seems weird that he'd want to go out that way, but it's his legacy.  I wouldn't object to 20 or so games at backup money either...just can't picture that.  And how effective should a 42-year-old with the most miles ever for an NHL goalie be expected to be?  Can't say I'd be terribly enthusiastic about watching Marty limp his way towards 700 wins, to the tune of a 7-10-2 backup record or something like that. 

I think fans think too much about 'how a player goes out' - it's his life, and if he wants to continue playing NHL hockey (at least for the Devils), that's how he's going to have to do it.

I think fans think too much about 'how a player goes out' - it's his life, and if he wants to continue playing NHL hockey (at least for the Devils), that's how he's going to have to do it.

yeah i think the same thing. I understand the point but think of it that way. If he sign as a backup for 1.5 or 2m a year as a backup and leadership in the locker room. Less stress for him and well... it's stil 1.5 or 2 million... thats a fvcking lot of money and considering his ex wife is grabbing a good chunk of it for another like 5 years or wtv. at the end of the day his best way to make money is to be playing in the NHL and not being a broadcaster lol

Edited by SterioDesign

So has anyone here purchased any Schneider gear yet?

I am going to make sure he will be #35 before I get his jersey, you never know with Lou and his numbers lol even though 35 should be fine.

EDIT: I could actually see him wearing #1 if Moose is gone.

Edited by Zubie#8

Having hashed this over in my head a million times since yesterday I can now say I have warmed up to it. I am happy the goalie situation was addressed with confidence instead of hoping some of the young farm guys could step up or a UFA goalie who isn't a one year wonder.

Mike Modano played for Detroit, Dominik Hasek bounced around, Foppa was a shell and made that comeback for a few games. Nobody's going to remember any of that. Unless Brodeur goes and plays for the Rangers, a la maclean, nobody will care where he goes at the end or if he's a backup here really. 

You can't just have Brodeur starting based on legacy. If he plays more than Schneider, you're going out of your way to sacrifice wins

Having hashed this over in my head a million times since yesterday I can now say I have warmed up to it. I am happy the goalie situation was addressed with confidence instead of hoping some of the young farm guys could step up or a UFA goalie who isn't a one year wonder.

How did you react and feel when bettman announced the trade?  Everyone looked so happy yrt I was sure lots of people where bummed bigtime. 

I was happy off the bat, just because I wasn't seeing anyone I reeally liked in the draft.  I reeally liked Landeskog our third pick year (just another reason to hate the flippin' avs <_<) and this sort of thing would have been a major bummer - but I'd grow to accept it.

How did you react and feel when bettman announced the trade?  Everyone looked so happy yrt I was sure lots of people where bummed bigtime. 

I was happy off the bat, just because I wasn't seeing anyone I reeally liked in the draft.  I reeally liked Landeskog our third pick year (just another reason to hate the flippin' avs <_<) and this sort of thing would have been a major bummer - but I'd grow to accept it.

Seemed like most around me were stunned and upset we were not going to get a forward. But I was sitting with some crazy stat heads :)

My reaction to the trade was surprise. I was angry for about a minute because I really was excited to have heard Nichushkin's name, but then I realized we got Schneider and came around almost immediately. It was tough to process at the event itself. Went from NO, to whoa, to YES in a matter of a minute or two. The first round was a lot of fun cause the crowd was pretty amped, but by pick #39 I was ready to leave. I did wait til Santini was drafted.

So has anyone here purchased any Schneider gear yet?

I tweeted the Devils asking when Schneider shirts are hitting stores, but no response.. I'm guessing we won't see his shirt until at least when camp opens

But yeah I love that Schneider also makes the team just genuinely more attractive to FAs.. Players definitely love playing for a great goalie

Mike Modano played for Detroit, Dominik Hasek bounced around, Foppa was a shell and made that comeback for a few games. Nobody's going to remember any of that. Unless Brodeur goes and plays for the Rangers, a la maclean, nobody will care where he goes at the end or if he's a backup here really.

You can't just have Brodeur starting based on legacy. If he plays more than Schneider, you're going out of your way to sacrifice wins

No one said he's starting based on legacy. But just naming Schneider the starter without letting him earn it would be a terrible way to handle the situation.

No one said he's starting based on legacy. But just naming Schneider the starter without letting him earn it would be a terrible way to handle the situation.

If he was just a young prospect I'd agree with you, but he's not, he's been in the league for a few years now and while he's not a proven commodity he's unquestionably better than Brodeur  now. If the Devils got Lundqvist or Rinne or Quick would you have to make him earn it in training camp? No and Schneider was just as good if not better over the last couple years 

If he was just a young prospect I'd agree with you, but he's not, he's been in the league for a few years now and while he's not a proven commodity he's unquestionably better than Brodeur now. If the Devils got Lundqvist or Rinne or Quick would you have to make him earn it in training camp? No and Schneider was just as good if not better over the last couple years

No one said he isn't better. It has nothing to do with that. You don't want to just throw the leader of the locker room onto the bench like that. You have to give him the chance to defend his spot and let Schneider earn it. It's not a video game. The guys on the team are real people. You risk players taking sides and splitting the room.

• Like 2

Seemed like most around me were stunned and upset we were not going to get a forward. But I was sitting with some crazy stat heads :)

um, just one of us.

c'mon - be honest, we were flabbergasted at the time. when nurse and ristolainen went 7/8, how pumped were we?

um, just one of us.

c'mon - be honest, we were flabbergasted at the time. when nurse and ristolainen went 7/8, how pumped were we?

Oh we were all giddy and didn't want to say it was a guaranteed. I was so happy when Nurse went, that was one of my fears and you voiced it too.

I'm getting there... I wish he was 2 years younger and signed for two more......