Devils select Steven Santini 2nd Round (42 overall)

Derlique

Colin White with possibly the ability to think a little more - hopefully not so much an intuitive learner as Colin.  The more I live the more I see how important it is to learn how to think and learn in a formulaic way to compliment and temper the intuitive side. I hope he'll be playing in Boston -- it'll be fun to see how he develops.

MacIssaac just blew any chance of scouting for the Devils. I kid. :evil:

I don't quite understand J., how your philosophy matches up with the Devils. I'm not being a jerk.  I just feel like you ARE learning more and more of the specifics of how you personally select a player and the kind you like - and you must see it's not really in synch with this organization. You don't read prospects quite the same way - you don't reach the same conclusions this organization does. Do the Devils moves ever cause you to rethink your scouting taste or methods - or more the more logical assumption, do you start to doubt your opinion of this organization? 

In all honesty, and I'm sure you won't grant me the privileged, but I really would love to read about what it is you do like about the Devils the more you learn.  How do you think you'd jibe with their system or do you think you'd provide much needed change, a fresh point of view? 

While it might be easy to tell me to shove it, it's just one guy -- It's not just this one pick - I ask all this based on the full body of your posting here.

This is such a strange selection to me.

I always find USNDTP players are always hard to judge until the take the next step and move on to College or Junior.

He has a different skill set which is good, and it seems that he is fantastic at what he does in his own end, he should also have plenty of time to develop, but considering our depth on the blue line and the lacking scoring prospects in the organisation the fact that we select Santini one place before Nicolas Petan, who just scored 120 points in a season is strange.

I think it's clear The System is still  where it's at in Jerz.   I dont see it as a refusal to grow with the changing NHL.  I think it says hockey is hockey and what works will always work.  You need goal tending and you need defense - scoring is always intuitive and comes with confidence you are fully supported in teh background. 

I still do sort of think that when a forward isn't scoring on THIS team, within this system, it's because he's got his mind on covering his ass with the backcheck.  Without a real defence he can't do his job.  Our defence will ALWAYS look good on paper because our forwards are instilled with defence first.  It's why a lot of guys dont want to play here.  :noclue:  The way to make them want to is to free up there time for the forecheck.  ummmmm.gif  OR - I'm just blowin' sunshine up my skirt here  winky.gif

Yeah, I probably would have been happier with no trade in the second round, and just picking up Dauphin at 39.

With how deep this draft was in offensive prospects (Zykov nearly fell to us at 39), a really good offensive player could have been chosen early in the second round. Not sure why they went with a big defensive D here.

I could've gone either way with what the Devils did. I would've been thrilled with Dauphin at 39 but I also think Santini is a solid prospect. Who knows what the defensive depth for the Devils will look like at the pro levels in 3-4 years. I like that Lou was able to get a quality prospect and add a 3rd round pick to select a guy with 1st round talent but flawed consistency which is why he fell.

I'm fine with passing on Petan who is 5'9, 166 lbs. No doubt he has some serious offensive skill but his numbers may be inflated from playing on a great Portland team. He's also known to be weak along the boards and gets beat physically as Hockey Prospect points out.

Edited by thefiestygoat

Yah, don't sleep on that third rounder, that's the kind of pick Detroit makes every year.  

The Devils have drafted 1 defenseman in each of the last two drafts.  By the time Santini might be ready for NHL duty, who knows what the Devils D situation will look like.