Devils 6th Round Pick (160) Myles Bell LW/D

maxpower

As I said in the draft thread, I saw this guy play for Kelowna and thought he was good.  He's eligible to play in the AHL this year, and I don't see why he won't be playing there.  While I don't like this article, I have a little more sympathy for him that the person was in the car.

As I said in the draft thread, I saw this guy play for Kelowna and thought he was good.  He's eligible to play in the AHL this year, and I don't see why he won't be playing there.  While I don't like this article, I have a little more sympathy for him that the person was in the car.

But you have to admit a potential DWI accident at 110MPH is a helluva red flag.   It's normally called vehicular homicide.  Honestly he looks like he might be an NHL player out of Round 6, I understand he's overage, but he would have been drafted before, if not for that.

But you have to admit a potential DWI accident at 110MPH is a helluva red flag.   It's normally called vehicular homicide.  Honestly he looks like he might be an NHL player out of Round 6, I understand he's overage, but he would have been drafted before, if not for that.

Those aren't tremendous numbers for an overage player, so I'm not convinced this hurt him.

I'm not going to say boys will be boys, but the accident was 2 years ago.  If he's reformed his behavior since then, there's not much reason for concern.  Craig MacTavish is an NHL GM. 

Those aren't tremendous numbers for an overage player, so I'm not convinced this hurt him.

I'm not going to say boys will be boys, but the accident was 2 years ago.  If he's reformed his behavior since then, there's not much reason for concern.  Craig MacTavish is an NHL GM. 

Learning a new position, I think it is.    Reading up on this he was rated as a 2 through midrounder as a defenseman, before this happened.    I think it's a really interesting pick, the chance of getting someone who can play in the league (even if it's just spot duty) in the 6th, with the catch of that.

Interesting pick with some value from a hockey perspective, but obviously the incident that happened was disturbing. As maxpower pointed out, this was his 1st season as a forward.

LW/D Myles Bell 6'0 214 Kelowna WHL

Future Considerations:

NOTES: A strong skating and powerful winger who has transitioned extremely well from defense to forward and put up a pile of points.

Hockey Prospectus had him ranked 121st.

Very interesting situation we have here with Bell. Looks like a ton of scouts and GMs have praised his talents like crazy.

He won the hardest shot competition with a 98mph slap shot and one scout had said he reminds him a lot of Doughty.

Obviously this guy needs to have an asterisk over him with the tragic accident he was in. But this is a pick that has a real potential to pay dividends as long as he can stay out of trouble

this guy has a canon

Bell, who will be 20 in September, is a former defenseman with a booming slap shot who was converted to forward with the Kelowna Rockets of the WHL

“He has one of the hardest slap shots you’ll ever see. As hard as anyone’s,” Lamoriello noted. “He’s had some tragedy off the ice.”

In 69 games for Kelowna last season, Bell scored 93 points (38 goals, 55 assists). The 6-0, 212-pound forward is a right-handed shooter whose slapper was clocked at 98 mph at the age of 17.

http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2013/07/devils_after_being_passed_over_in_two_drafts_myles_bell_gets_a_shot.html#incart_flyout_sports

If she had been crossing the street and he hit her, yeah, sure. But she made the choice to get in the car with a drunk person, so she is partly at fault as well. Terrible that she died, but you can't put all the blame on him. I also really like the fact that the Devils look past things that other teams might not. We've all made bad choices, this guy making one that some of us have likely made as well, but were more fortunate in the results. Hopefully this guy can learn from the mistake and become a better person for it and if the Devils can turn him into a good player on top of it, good on everybody.

If she had been crossing the street and he hit her, yeah, sure. But she made the choice to get in the car with a drunk person, so she is partly at fault as well. Terrible that she died, but you can't put all the blame on him. I also really like the fact that the Devils look past things that other teams might not. We've all made bad choices, this guy making one that some of us have likely made as well, but were more fortunate in the results. Hopefully this guy can learn from the mistake and become a better person for it and if the Devils can turn him into a good player on top of it, good on everybody.

yeah i mean, wtv what her parents wanted him to get and how they felt with their daughter taken away from them that way. Im not saying its as worst but having to live with the fact that youre 100% responsible of someone's death, especially since she was in her car they must have been friend and maybe more so it must be hard to swallow)

im also surprise about how many people actually doesnt know about Heatley who did the same thing but killed another NHL player. His career didnt suffer that much after that.

yeah i mean, wtv what her parents wanted him to get and how they felt with their daughter taken away from them that way. Im not saying its as worst but having to live with the fact that youre 100% responsible of someone's death, especially since she was in her car they must have been friend and maybe more so it must be hard to swallow)

im also surprise about how many people actually doesnt know about Heatley who did the same thing but killed another NHL player. His career didnt suffer that much after that.

Heatley was an NHL player though, this guy is a maybe player. It's a lot easier to lock out a maybe then a more known commodity like Heatley was then. When it comes down to it, GMs would sign probably sign just about anybody if they think he'd put up 50 goals the next year.

Like I said, I'm the kind of guy that doesn't believe in life sentences and thinks everyone deserves a second chance, so I really do like that the Devils want to give a guy like this, that kind of shot.