Devils Select Miles Wood- 4th Round (100)

Derlique

Didn't we also draft two Bens last year? More proof that LL is becoming the NHL's biggest troll. I love it.

LW Miles Wood 6'1 160 Noble & Greenough School (Mark Fayne's HS) (Brown commit)

Not ranked by Future Considerations, 196th by Hockey Prospect, 138th NA Skaters by Central Scouting. Obviously the Devils saw something they liked.

Not that he has proven anything yet but the devils taking a player that was barely on anyones board at 4th round has actually worked out pretty well recently with Henrique and Reid Boucher being unranked (or almost unranked) 4th round picks that are doing well just in the last couple years, so ill let this one play out and see if Lou pulled another one out of the hat.

I really like all the college picks. If you have a player that needs a good bit of developing they can stay at college level for 4 years as devils property before the team has to decide whether to sign them or not so it gives some of these long shot and other less refined players some more time to develop the missing parts to their game without clogging up our farm system with players that a career minor league guys (we have plenty of those on the farm as is).

Not that he has proven anything yet but the devils taking a player that was barely on anyones board at 4th round has actually worked out pretty well recently with Henrique and Reid Boucher being unranked (or almost unranked) 4th round picks that are doing well just in the last couple years, so ill let this one play out and see if Lou pulled another one out of the hat.

I really like all the college picks. If you have a player that needs a good bit of developing they can stay at college level for 4 years as devils property before the team has to decide whether to sign them or not so it gives some of these long shot and other less refined players some more time to develop the missing parts to their game without clogging up our farm system with players that a career minor league guys (we have plenty of those on the farm as is).

Not even close to the same situation. Both Henrique and Boucher were considered great value 4th rounders. This kid is completely unknown.

New England Hockey Journal

Miles Wood, LW, Noble & Greenough (Manchester, Mass.) — Ranked 138th, Wood has NHL bloodlines. The Buffalo-born (when dad Randy played for the Sabres) 6-foot-1, 160-pounder has a lot of physical maturing ahead, but he has nice raw upside. Just made the 2013 draft cutoff by two days (Sept. 13, 1995), and despite having missed significant time to injuries, is a solid bet to be a late-round pick.

They also had him listed as a sleeper in another article on their site.

I feel a lot better about these kinds of picks when I don't see the statline.  When I see them taking a player like Derek Rodwell I just cannot imagine the organizational consensus that leads to that.

So his HS statline doesn't translate that well to the NHL?

So his HS statline doesn't translate that well to the NHL?

Oops, I didn't realize there was a place online to get his stats.  Well obviously 18 points in 15 high school games doesn't scream 'NHL', but he was hurt.

No, the point I was making was built on the idea that we didn't have his stats.  I just remember when NJ drafted players like Derek Rodwell and Kory Nagy, and you take one look at the statline and think 'Wow, this guy has to really really improve to even become a pro hockey player'