General Devils thoughts post-Schneider deal

Triumph

Okay, we've got Elias supposedly on the verge of re-signing and Zubrus has confirmed he's re-signed.  Peter Harrold is also thought to be re-signed.  I'm going to assume that all the RFAs will be re-signed except D'Agostini, leaving us with this team for next year:

Henrique-Loktionov-Kovalchuk

Elias-Zajac-?

Zubrus-Josefson-?

Carter-Gionta-Bernier

ex:  Tedenby, Barch

Greene-Larsson

Salvador-Fayne

Volchenkov-Tallinder

ex:  Harrold

Schneider

Brodeur

I'm judging, perhaps incorrectly, that the lack of scuttlebutt on either Clarkson or Zidlicky means they are gone.  Zidlicky's agent was described to have had a 'brief conversation' with Lou, haven't heard anything on that front since.  Clarkson claims he hasn't gotten a contract offer.

FORWARDS:

Like I said in the Clarkson thread, the Devils desperately need shooters.  They just didn't generate enough shots last year as a team.  If Clarkson leaves, that also leaves a big shooting hole to fill.  Here's the top 20 available free agent players by shots/60 at even strength over the last 3 years (I am not saying this is a ranking of the best offensive players):

Viktor Stalberg:  10.60

Dan Cleary:  9.51

Chad Larose:  9.32

Pascal Dupuis:  9.28

Mason Raymond:  9.28

Daniel Briere:  8.84

Simon Gagne:  8.23

Nathan Horton:  8.22

Michael Ryder:  7.95

Dustin Penner:  7.86

Mike Santorelli:  7.85

Benoit Pouliot:  7.79

Vincent Lecavalier:  7.61

Ryane Clowe:  7.60

Blake Comeau:  7.32

Alexei Ponikarovsky:  7.26

Antti Miettinen:  7.20

Ryan Jones:  7.15

Pierre-Marc Bouchard:  7.11

Brad Boyes:  6.79

Okay, that's enough of that.  A good list, though.  I still wonder if Montreal might not be interested in dealing Brian Gionta, who would rank 2nd on this list and would seem a very natural fit with Elias and Zajac.  Trouble is outside of Briere, I don't see a ton of help here in the shots department.  I like Michael Ryder okay, but that's about as far as it goes.  Jagr doesn't make the list, but I still have interest in him.

DEFENSE

I still think Tallinder's days here are numbered, but unfortunately Lou will have retain salary in a deal to move him, I imagine.  We'll see what open defense spots there are around the league.  Buffalo certainly has a gaping maw at that spot, so we'll see if they've got interest in Tallinder.  I still think Volchenkov could move but it would have to be for an awful salary back.  I could see a surprising PP QB type acquisition too.

GOALTENDING

So, let's see, who are the available free agent goalies?  Who might be available in trade?  Oh wait, I shouldn't have to care about this for 2 years and hopefully more.  I hope they can deal Hedberg if he's open to it.

Seems fair to assume that Clarkson and/or Zidlicky are on their way out.

Would rather not go to the ex-Devil well yet again in Gionta.  Hard to believe the guy is 34 years old already. 

I'm guessing the only teams that would even think about bringing Hedberg in are ones well below the floor.  He was SO bad last season. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Seems fair to assume that Clarkson and/or Zidlicky are on their way out.

Would rather not go to the ex-Devil well yet again in Gionta.  Hard to believe the guy is 34 years old already. 

I'm guessing the only teams that would even think about bringing Hedberg are ones well below the floor.  He was SO bad last season. 

I suppose you could gauge the Isles interest.  They're a floor team that needs two goalies, and Hedberg might be wililng to waive his NTC to play not too far away from home.  Perhaps a package that includes Tallinder and Hedberg.   

I suppose you could gauge the Isles interest.  They're a floor team that needs two goalies, and Hedberg might be wililng to waive his NTC to play not too far away from home.  Perhaps a package that includes Tallinder and Hedberg.   

I mean, I'd probably do Tallinder-Gelinas-Hedberg for Grabner.  Not sure they would, but Grabner would be a great fit on the 3rd line.

I mean, I'd probably do Tallinder-Gelinas-Hedberg for Grabner.  Not sure they would, but Grabner would be a great fit on the 3rd line.

I mean who wouldn't want that speed on their team...  This is a bit of a fantasy, but hey we can dream.

Kovy and Grabner on the PK...wow

I can't imagine the Isles would ever go for that.  Maybe if you substitute Merrill for Gelinas, but that probably doesn't work either.

I mean who wouldn't want that speed on their team...  This is a bit of a fantasy, but hey we can dream.

Kovy and Grabner on the PK...wow

He only played 12 minutes a game in the playoffs.  His high salary years are coming up where his salary is above his cap hit, which the Islanders tend not to like - I think he'll be on the move soon.

I still think we will sign one FA Briere or weiss.... maybe two but i have a feeling stefan matteau will take the clarkson role for 4 million less 

It is reported like 10 teams interested in Briere

That does not sound like a Lou situation

Have we ever signed an ex-Flyer?

Dan McGillas.

He only played 12 minutes a game in the playoffs.  His high salary years are coming up where his salary is above his cap hit, which the Islanders tend not to like - I think he'll be on the move soon.

Perhaps, but they wouldn't trade him to a division rival if the return isn't that high.

Yeah but he's quoted as saying he doesn't want to go far from home, which probably eliminates a good bit of those teams right off the bat.  His last couple of years seemed like they were pretty rough...admittedly I wasn't watching every one of his games, but the numbers don't look good.

Henrique-Loktionov-Kovalchuk

Elias-Zajac-?

Zubrus-Josefson-?

Carter-Gionta-Bernier

ex:  Tedenby, Barch

Greene-Larsson

Salvador-Fayne

Volchenkov-Tallinder

ex:  Harrold

Schneider

Brodeur

I'd expect to see some kids up here too...

in a perfect world we'd sign a guy so thats just "adding" production and not trading to get something cause im a firm believer that after losing zach and clarkson (lets say) i know it takes time to replace those guys but you dont replace both by signing Brière and call it a day.

First im super pumped about getting schneider. Thats a huge monkey off our back for the future and its stabilizing something that could off scared away some UFAs imo.

I'd really like Mason, always liked him, he's fast and can score. Not even by looking at numbers its based on me watching him play and liking what he does. So good to see that numbers are supporting that. PLUS, he pretty young near his prime. I'd really like to see the Devils set themselves for awhile and have a good chunk of the team that you know will be there for awhile. Patching holes with old guys every 1-2 years is not helping that much eventhough thats the cheapest way to go of course.

For all we know we could re-sign Clarkson though, Toronto seems to be aggressive on other UFAs so maybe they won't even put an offer for him and like i said to me for Clarky it's either NJ or Toronto... i don't like him at all but i'd still want him on the team if we can't sign at least 2 good free agents.

All im really hoping is that somehow Lou is allowed to spend to the cap. I don't know much about the financial sh!t but here's a very educated comments who could be totally retarded since i dont know... but to me i think its worth to throw an extra 5-6m to a guy who could help the team to make the playoffs this year even though it may be a little sacrifice somewhere, then you'll likely get that money back. (of course you have to commit to more than 5-6m on a deal but since we may be selling and adding partners it shouldnt be a problem next season). Making the playoffs is a must next season. we'll need the money its bringing and giving up a top pick would be disastrous.

I don't get why everyone wants Horton so bad. He is David Clarkson, why not be loyal to a guy who's given us his all as long as he's been here. And I bet Clarky's price tag is much cheaper. If we lose out on Clarky, I'd like to see us replace him with double the skill.

everything on clarkson is nothing more then a bunch of assumptions.. no one here knows clarkson so with out speaking to the guy you have no idea how he feels or whats going threw his mind.. with out anything really being leaked no one knows lou either so we have absolutely zero idea of what has been offered to him.. all lou has said is that hes been working hard to re sign our ufa's thats it.. no one knows what the leafs real intentions are or if they even want clarkson as bad as to be speculated.. until some real news comes about we know nothing more then a bunch of rumors/speculations/assumptions. At this point it does seem clear that he will most likely go to free agency maybe even if his intentions are to stay here he is one of the top ufa's on the market he would be a shmuck if he did not go to free agency july 5th and see what his actual worth is.

everything on clarkson is nothing more then a bunch of assumptions.. no one here knows clarkson so with out speaking to the guy you have no idea how he feels or whats going threw his mind.. with out anything really being leaked no one knows lou either so we have absolutely zero idea of what has been offered to him.. all lou has said is that hes been working hard to re sign our ufa's thats it.. no one knows what the leafs real intentions are or if they even want clarkson as bad as to be speculated.. until some real news comes about we know nothing more then a bunch of rumors/speculations/assumptions. At this point it does seem clear that he will most likely go to free agency maybe even if his intentions are to stay here he is one of the top ufa's on the market he would be a shmuck if he did not go to free agency july 5th and see what his actual worth is.

Both Clarkson's and the Devils' camp have stated that the Devils have not offered anything in terms of actual salary numbers.  It has nothing to do with being a mind reader. 

Both Clarkson's and the Devils' camp have stated that the Devils have not offered anything in terms of actual salary numbers.  It has nothing to do with being a mind reader.

makes me think.. if the devils dont want to lose one of their players why would they still have gone this long with out trying to offer some type of a deal

This exactly. There have been no offers.

They are going to see what Clarkson commands on the open market. With buyouts and a falling cap, there's a chance that the money won't be out there to drive up a bidding war for Clarkson, meaning his chance of re-signing here for a reasonable price is higher. It's almost as if Lou knows what he's doing.