CLARKSON SIGNS w/TORONTO $36.75M / 7yrs

CaptainRafalski

This screams of a Marty Lapointe type deal for Clarkson based on one great year. Clarkson does a lot of good things, and the Devils will miss him, but I don't think you can justify giving him the amount of money he probably gets on the open market. I bet Lou gave him a fair deal, but a deal that will be blown away come tomorrow.

I feel bad for him in a way because life is surely going to be miserable for him if he goes anywhere in Canada and underachieves (which he surely will).

And we're forgetting that Matteau can possibly replace Clarkson in the future. Maybe not next season, but certainly a hell of a lot cheaper over the next 5-7 years. Clarky brought some great locker room/character intangibles, but considering he wasn't much before DeBoer, I'm completely fine with this. Now let's hope the Devils sign a real scorer.

Can't believe Clarkson's agent would make comments like that. David has so much respect for Lou and the Devils that I wouldn't be surprised if he yells at his agent about this. Not the way you want leave

Clarkson played well before Deboer. He had a real good year in 09-10 with 24 points in 46 games. He just struggled the next year and Lemaire buried him on the 4th line after that.

fvck the agent and fvck Clarkson. If that's how they're gonna treat this, they can hit the bricks. 'Economic peril'? 'Life without David'? Suck my fvcking balls Pat Morris, you little cocksucker.

Clarkson's fast becoming the one big-name FA I don't give a **** about leaving. PK wasn't wrong when she said you find out about a guy's character when he gets to FA, and it isn't always predicated on whether the guy stays or leaves, but why. This is becoming as ugly as any exit since Holik.

Not to mention yes he is a limited player, even more limited considering his physical play has been curbed a bit the last two years by his 'scoring touch'. Problem with the rationale that at least we aren't overpaying him, we'll wind up overpaying SOMEONE to replace him. So either way it's the same difference.

Let's get real here.

1. If you were in Clarkson's situation you'd see what numbers get thrown at you. I am guessing that $50, 000 is a lot of money to most people. David is talking millions.

2. If there was any hint your employer MAY have financial issues, then you would certainly be exploring the market.

3. The Devils haven't given their best offer yet. Classic Lou at work.

4. Anyone that doesn't believe David is a huge part of this team is delusional. I am not saying he worth crazy numbers, but let's be honest with ourselves, he is worth every bit of 4.5-5. We just signed Zubes for 3.1.(not a knock on #8)

5. Who is scoring goals on this team? Unless Lou goes buck wild, last season might look like the 84 Oilers offense.

6. For better or worse you know what you have in guys that have been on your roster. Why is Boston shopping Seguin? Seems the kid likes to party more than play. It' always buyer beware.

7. Clarky should fire that agent, not because of the douchey comments, but because his agent should be saying that the Devils put out an unbelievable offer that other teams are really gonna have to work at to match.

8. If he leaves he will get paid, but his hockey career may become not as enjoyable and only David knows what means more to him. Going home to Toronto may be his dream, but it could turn into a nightmare.

• Like 1

If the Devils sign Clarkson to a 7 year, $6.5 mil per contract I will probably get pretty pissed off for a few hours :lol: but good for Clarkson if he can get it. Clarkson works hard and seems a good guy so I just hope the Devils don't pay him those crazy numbers.

If those figures are even close to true he can jog on. Which is a shame because i really like him and how his game has developed.

To be honest i expected this, he seems to get ahead of himself and thinks is better than he actually is. His play reflects that, when he plays simple he is effective, then he gets confident, tries to be something he is not and then goes cold and has to go back to basics.

This is possibly his last big contract as well so you know his agent is going to push for big $$$$.

I will add one thing: David Clarkson should take all the money he can get. I usually think most athletes should, but Clarkson is a perfect example of one that needs to. He is almost 30 and only made about $10 million in salary in his career. This will probably be his last NHL contract...definitely his last of any consequence. He set himself up nicely for free agency, and now he should go and get paid. I'm never going to be pissed when any athlete goes where the money is no matter what you think the franchise has done for an individual or not. No one should feel obligated to take much less than they deserve.

Edited by devilsrule33

Let's get real here.

1. If you were in Clarkson's situation you'd see what numbers get thrown at you. I am guessing that $50, 000 is a lot of money to most people. David is talking millions.

2. If there was any hint your employer MAY have financial issues, then you would certainly be exploring the market.

4. Anyone that doesn't believe David is a huge part of this team is delusional. I am not saying he worth crazy numbers, but let's be honest with ourselves, he is worth every bit of 4.5-5. We just signed Zubes for 3.1.(not a knock on #8)

5. Who is scoring goals on this team? Unless Lou goes buck wild, last season might look like the 84 Oilers offense.

6. For better or worse you know what you have in guys that have been on your roster. Why is Boston shopping Seguin? Seems the kid likes to party more than play. It' always buyer beware.

7. Clarky should fire that agent, not because of the douchey comments, but because his agent should be saying that the Devils put out an unbelievable offer that other teams are really gonna have to work at to match.

8. If he leaves he will get paid, but his hockey career may become not as enjoyable and only David knows what means more to him. Going home to Toronto may be his dream, but it could turn into a nightmare.

i agree with 100% of what you said there buddy.

I will add one thing: David Clarkson should take all the money he can get. I usually think most athletes should, but Clarkson is a perfect example of one. He is almost 30 and only made about $10 million in salary in his career. This will probably be his last NHL contract...definitely his last of any consequence. He set himself up nicely for free agency, and now he should go and get paid. I'm never going to be pissed when any athlete goes where the money is no matter what you think the franchise has done for an individual or not. No one should feel obligated to take much less than they deserve.

yeah it turned out really good career wize for guys like Gomez, Luongo, dipietro, Bryzgalov, Redden, etc etc etc etc It litterally DESTROYED their career not because t hey couldnt play but because they signed for a lot more than what they could ever give. Its fine when you sign it but i heard a few of them admitting regretting signing those contracts. 

I know its easy to say that million of dollar would make you happy and that they shouldnt wine on their faith but a lot of them are feeling miserable and stressed all year long. And thats not a way to live.

Edited by SterioDesign

Let's get real here.

1) No one is arguing or having an issue with that here.  Only teeny-boppers who liked Clarkson are having issues with him and his "loyalty" to this team.

2) True and no one is faulting him for that.

3) Maybe, maybe not.  We don't know everything that is going on behind the scenes.

4) He is worth $4.5 but that's at most.  He is important but not $5 million + important.  That sort of contract is a ticking timebomb.

5) Free agency.  Lou probably has a contingency plan.  Let's just hope it goes better than his plan B after Niedermayer left.

6) Of course but I doubt we are getting Seguin

7) If his agent doesn't get the best offer he can, then he is not doing his job.  It's a slimy job but if he doesn't try to get the best offer for his player, he won't have many clients to represent in a hurry.

8) He probably knows that and that is his risk to take.

If the Devils sign Clarkson to a 7 year, $6.5 mil per contract I will probably get pretty pissed off for a few hours :lol: but good for Clarkson if he can get it. Clarkson works hard and seems a good guy so I just hope the Devils don't pay him those crazy numbers.

If he gets that sort of contract from the Devils and doesn't score at least 30 goals a season, you better believe it will turn really ugly really quick here.  I'd rather have Toronto have those headaches.

It's one thing to take the money, it's another to be a **** about it, particularly when you owe your career to the team and their head coach. Scott Gomez was classy leaving compared to Clarkson's agent - who does speak for his client.

Edited by NJDevs4978

It's one thing to take the money, it's another to be a **** about it, particularly when you owe your career to the team and their head coach. Scott Gomez was classy leaving compared to Clarkson's agent - who does speak for his client.

Who cares what his agent says? Shea Weber's agent last year begged Nashville not to match the offer sheet and they did anyway and now things are fine and he's not going anywhere. It's proably a negotiating tactic by him is all

Well, Clarkson walks at those sums and surely, I won't be disappointed.  I will be happy for Clarkson.  He isn't worth that kind of coin, especially for 7 years.

With the money saved on a potential Clarkson signing, the Devs can focus their attention on grabbing a buy-out player the likes of Horton or Briere.

Good bye #23.  Thanks for the Bryzgalov gaffe-goal from the 2012 playoffs.  That was priceless! :-)

Eh it's his job to play hardball.

It's kinda like the opposite of what happens during salary arbitration between a player and a team.  Teams will put down a player as much as possible to get the lowest salary judgement.  I remember Lou's arbitration with Holik being pretty ugly.

Let's get real here.

1.  I agree, Clarkson has earned this right, I never have a problem with a player testing the market.  Those opportunities come few and far between for NHL players. 

2.  I think a guy like Clarkson should probably explore the market anyway, just because.  This is going to be a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for him, and 2011-12 has sweetened the pot for him in a big way

3.  If Lou goes above $4.5 mil for his, I'll feel like he made a mistake.  Clarkson simply is not worth more than that.

4.  Agree on the $$ value, not sure if I'd say he's a huge part of the team.

5.  Fair question, but I'd rather have options than Clarkson at $5+ mil per year for the next five or six years. 

6.  Agree, which is how most of us know that anything over $4.5 mil per season for Clarkson in insane.  $6 mil is hysterically laughable.  That's a bad deal the day it's signed. 

7.  At the very least, Clarkson's agent should STFU, unless he's just looking to burn a bridge.

8.  Agree, the easy part of these things is to sign the contract and have a lovefest press conference or two.  But then comes the inevitable...having to play and show you're worth the money.  Clarkson in NJ at $4.5 mil per may lead to mild disappointment, but nothing more than that, unless his play really tanks.  Clarkson at $6 mil per in Toronto with expectations that are bound to be unrealistic and bloated due to his paycheck will likely lead to borderline fan hatred.  Not that goals, assists, and points are everything, but the guess here is that Toronto's fanbase will expect 25-30 goals and 50+ points...if he doesn't do that, they'll be pissed (especially if the team is not winning).  Here, I think we'd all take low 20s and 40 points, because we have a better handle on what is realistic and fair to expect from him.  GMs sadly never learn that paying a guy to be better than he really is almost NEVER makes him better than he really is. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

This is where we disagree. David Clarkson should not owe his career to this team. They signed him and gave him a shot. That's it. Doesn't mean no other team would have. And he parlayed that shot into being an effective goal scorer in this league and a player that deserves to get paid. What amount of money should Clarkson sacrifice because the Devils signed him? $10 million? $15 million? It's a business. 

Now we are saying Clarkson is a$$hole? What has he done but be extremely complimentary to Lou, Pete and the organization? Have we heard from him in since the season ended?

I agree. However, I am wondering if Lou low balled them in hopes of hitting a home run. Something seems off about the whole attitude of the agent.  Doesn't make sense to me. I still think Lou is waiting to see what the actual market is, before throwing real numbers at him. Maybe Lou may believes David was definitely gone and didn't want to set a precedent for anyone he was looking at in FA or even for future deals with his own rostered players... the whole yeah but you offered Clarkson X argument.  Let's also keep in mind that the cap will be going up and my guess is by quite a bit in the next 5 years, so what seems a lot in a down cap year will be a better deal down the road. Let's not forget inflation as well, which we will see in the next few as well.

4.5 mil 4 years is what I would offer. Anything over 5 and GM's should lose their job.

I think the sticking point is gonna be term.

Edited by hystyk28

yeah it turned out really good career wize for guys like Gomez, Luongo, dipietro, Bryzgalov, Redden, etc etc etc etc It litterally DESTROYED their career not because t hey couldnt play but because they signed for a lot more than what they could ever give. Its fine when you sign it but i heard a few of them admitting regretting signing those contracts. 

I know its easy to say that million of dollar would make you happy and that they shouldnt wine on their faith but a lot of them are feeling miserable and stressed all year long. And thats not a way to live.

In fairness, DP's contract was only kooky in terms of length.  Had he been able to stay healthy it could've been very reasonable...from '05-'08 he was showing signs of being a guy who could start 60+ games per year and be reasonable effective.  But that of course it one of the big risks of signing these crazy-length deals...guys can get hurt and never really bounce back. 

Redden was just Sather being Sather...see big name and sign big name, even if big name is clearly on the downswing.  Almost everyone except Sather knew that that deal was going to be a disaster.  Can't blame Wade for saying, "Holy sh!t, someone wants to pay me THIS much?!", even though he probably knew he would never live up to it.  Ditto Bryzgalov.  I think Gomer and Luongo both thought they could live up to it, though I think Gomer was more a victim of both his own and Sather's idiocy. 

Let's get real here.

OK I have to run with this one as I think it touches the major points well. I love Clarkson and what he brings to the team but lets be honest. The Devils never replaced the production they lost in Parise and they need another top 6 forward to work with Kovy. I have no problem with Clarkson taking the biggest contract or with the Devils saying, this isn't the best investment we can make. I do think that Clarkson and the Devils were symbiotic and I would be skeptical of him being as successful if he doesn't land in a similar system.

Anyway, I'm not going to panic from any of this because there is a new CBA and buyouts so until free agency starts and deals start to be made I think it's fair to say that we don't really know what the true market is. I think overall I love Davids style but he was always small for the big bruising style he plays. I think Lou has to find one to two scorers and a way to build depth that looks like Boston's lineup(Big, Strong and Deep).

4.5 mil 4 years is what I would offer. Anything over 5 and GM's should lose their job.

This is where I'm at.  At 5 years and $5 mil I'm very uncomfortable.  5 years at $4.5 mil or 4 years at $5.0 mil I can stomach a little better, but I'm not feeling great about it.  Anything combo resulting in more than 5 years or $5.0 per and I think it's a mistake. 

Eh it's his job to play hardball.

It's kinda like the opposite of what happens during salary arbitration between a player and a team. Teams will put down a player as much as possible to get the lowest salary judgement. I remember Lou's arbitration with Holik being pretty ugly.

His agent crying Lou is being cheap is one thing, making a douche comment like 'we didn't expect an offer cause of the team's financial issues' poisons the water for EVERY OTHER FA that might want to sign here too.

• Like 1

do you *want* to pay a guy who's never put up 50 points in a season 6million? Nooooooooo thanks. Only a team as dumb as the Leafs would give him that and they'll wanna run him out of town when they see how inept a first liner he would be

do you *want* to pay a guy who's never put up 50 points in a season 6million? Nooooooooo thanks. Only a team as dumb as the Leafs would give him that and they'll wanna run him out of town when they see how inept a first liner he would be

No. I understand the logistics but when it comes down to it I'll miss Clarkson just as I missed Parise this year