CLARKSON SIGNS w/TORONTO $36.75M / 7yrs

CaptainRafalski

In fairness, DP's contract was only kooky in terms of length.  Had he been able to stay healthy it could've been very reasonable...from '05-'08 he was showing signs of being a guy who could start 60+ games per year and be reasonable effective.  But that of course it one of the big risks of signing these crazy-length deals...guys can get hurt and never really bounce back. 

Redden was just Sather being Sather...see big name and sign big name, even if big name is clearly on the downswing.  Almost everyone except Sather knew that that deal was going to be a disaster.  Can't blame Wade for saying, "Holy sh!t, someone wants to pay me THIS much?!", even though he probably knew he would never live up to it.  Ditto Bryzgalov.  I think Gomer and Luongo both thought they could live up to it, though I think Gomer was more a victim of both his own and Sather's idiocy. 

I see this and do wonder if Clarky reall does sign a 6 mil a year deal if he really would live up to this. I love Clarkson and his game but I have always fealt that he was a perfect fit for the Devils system and that only certain team with our style will get the most out of him.

His agent crying Lou is being cheap is one thing, making a douche comment like 'we didn't expect an offer cause of the team's financial issues' poisons the water for EVERY OTHER FA that might want to sign here too.

This is what I don't get. It's not like this guy only represents Clarkson.  How does he think saying that is good for him, which is the only thing these guys worry about. I can only figure,it reeks of low balling by Lou or maybe desperation by David really wanting to stay for max $/term. These statements may be his agent urinating on the team so it will  will keep other potential FA's away, ugly business move for sure.  Another factor in all of this is that David is still very close to Mike Richards, so he sees how ugly the business can be.(Richards took a hometown discount and then got traded-issues aside)  A NTC is another sticking point.  That would be deal killer for me, unless it is a list of 15 teams.

I haven't seen that rumor anywhere (I know Dreger does a lot of TV and radio this time of year), so let's grain of salt that one.

I agree, although to be fair, the guy who originally tweeted it said he personally disagreed and thought maybe $5M tops.

Wow.  I mean - I wrote my piece and all.  But who cares?  It's David Clarkson.  :blink:

I love the guy, but lets be real.  The way the dude conducts himself off ice says it all.  Clarky's kids... nnno, that's not what I'm talking about.  Dude is childish.  It's not a big deal. 

He's not being as a$$hole (his agent sure is though). As long as he knows what he's doing it's all good. I think he does.  He doesn't want the Cup or any of that.  He's not as ambitious as Holik, Gomez, Parise -- he's just looking to relax and stop working.  I dont think he understands that's what he wants.  This kid has worked his ass off all his life to prove himself - not to be a WINNER like a John Maddog Madden.  Clarkson doesn't have a "You think you're better than me" chip, he just had a But I KNOW I CAN play hockey chip.  Well this is it for him then.  this is the goal achieved - a nice contract.  the OFFER is what he was dreaming about and his dream stopped there.  A pretty wife a house with a pool - being able to give back to the community.  It's enough.  it's what he wants.

Clarkson is done proving himself and I'm really happy for him wherever he ends up.  I think everyone should be because that's his story.  His is not a name on the Cup story like Parise's is.  This isn't tragic.  It's good all the way around.  How can anyone even think he's disloyal?  He isn't a good enough player to be disloyal in leaving.  Duh?  Perspective people... perspective!!!

• Like 1

Wow, first I saw some 5,5M figures here and there and thought it was crazy (though I fully expect some idiot GM to throw that kind of money at him), now I hear people saying 6 million... If it really comes down to numbers like these, then I can't blame Clarkie for taking that money, but it's an awful deal. Don't worry, we'll sign him back as soon as he gets bought out.

Still love the guy, no matter what. But yeah, there is NO WAY he's worth 5,5+.

Oh, and thank God we re-signed Zubrus already, got Schneider and it seems we're re-signing Elias. Losing David (if it happens) won't sting that much and it's a good start to the offseason.

Edited by Revan

What do people think about Matteau replacing Clarkson, possibly this season, but definitely in the future? He was pegged as a power forward who cuts to the net and uses his size, pretty much exactly like Clarkson. Already got NHL time and he'll have a full camp to help adjust.

Here's an article with some comments from him, just put out by Chere. Sounds like he is really hungry to prove himself this year after his situation in junior

http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2013/07/devils_stefan_matteau_hopes_junior_incident_didnt_tarnish_reputation.html

Edited by Colin226

What do people think about Matteau replacing Clarkson, possibly this season, but definitely in the future? He was pegged as a power forward who cuts to the net and uses his size. Already got NHL time and he'll have a full camp to help adjust.

Here's an article with some comments from him, just put out by Chere. Sounds like he is really hungry to prove himself this year after his situation in junior

http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2013/07/devils_stefan_matteau_hopes_junior_incident_didnt_tarnish_reputation.html

He'll be good in a couple seasons

Best comparable player?

Player 1:  6'0, 192.  30 years old.  24 pts last year, 93 PIMS.  Career: 94G, 244P, 1263 PIM.  3G in 34 career playoff games.

Player 2:  6'1, 200.  29 years old.  24 pts last year, 78 PIMS.  Career: 97G, 170P, 1033 PIM.  5G in 44 career playoff games.

Player 1 is Steve Ott, who is currently playing under a 4 year, $11.8 million contract. 

Player 2 is Clarkson. 

Enough said.

• Like 1

And I remember thinking that Ott deal was bad at the time.

Best comparable player?

Player 1:  6'0, 192.  30 years old.  24 pts last year, 93 PIMS.  Career: 94G, 244P, 1263 PIM.  3G in 34 career playoff games.

Player 2:  6'1, 200.  29 years old.  24 pts last year, 78 PIMS.  Career: 97G, 170P, 1033 PIM.  5G in 44 career playoff games.

Player 1 is Steve Ott, who is currently playing under a 4 year, $11.8 million contract. 

Player 2 is Clarkson. 

Enough said.

And Ott's a center who can win faceoffs (even if that's not the most valuable skill).

Best comparable player?

Player 2 is Clarkson. 

Enough said.

For some full disclosure, Steve Ott has played almost 200 more games in the NHL than Clarkson.

Dreger said on TSN radio that Clarkson can get a 7 year contract worth 45.5 MIllion (6.5M per) if that's what he's after. 

i hope so, i'd like rags or leafs to pick him so it blows up in their house.

also, the equipment manager is going to be heartbroken now that he doesn't have to fix skates every 5 minutes.

Edited by ZeroGravityFat

I like Clarky alot, he has the edge to him that the devils need, as for him not making the devils better, not sure I agree, when he was scoring the 1st 10 games, the devils were much much better then when he was not scoring.

That being said, LL has to be smart w/ the budget, we hav already over paid for Kovy, Marty, Sal. Vol & Tal, cannot afford to over pay anyone else

• Like 1

I hope for his future Clarkson is realizing that for elite money he has to be an elite player which he is not. This is how guys end up fvcking things up for themselves. They sign big money contracts, end up not being able to do what their pay demands and either getting bought out or considered unmovable because their contract is awful.

Edited by CarpathianForest

I like Clarky alot, he has the edge to him that the devils need, as for him not making the devils better, not sure I agree, when he was scoring the 1st 10 games, the devils were much much better then when he was not scoring.

That being said, LL has to be smart w/ the budget, we hav already over paid for Kovy, Marty, Sal. Vol & Tal, cannot afford to over pay anyone else

Agree 100%.   It will be an interesting camp if Vol and Tal can get a roster spot.

That whole "when he was scoring" thing is kind of the whole point.  Do you think being on another team will make him that player for a full season?  I contend that playing in NJ made him that player for those 10 games.  I contend that he won't get to that point without the Ineffable System there to help him find clarity of purpose.  Crud, it's hard enough to find it here in hockey central -- think he'll find that where hockey comes in second to whatever else it is they put on their stupid agendas?

Players think putting scoring on the agenda first and foremost makes a forward great.  Well guess what, it doesn't!  Just ask Holik, Gomez, Parise, even Niedermayer knew he had to spread the message - he succeeded because he had to be the one and knew he could albeit with shuffling modesty until push came to shove.  Can CLARKSON do that?  Better men have tried and failed is all I'm saying.

His scoring took away his edge. I liked him better as a 15-goal forward who would play physical as opposed to a one-dimensional 25-goal forward who doesn't play with an edge because he's 'too valuable' scoring to fight, and does nothing else well.

Edited by NJDevs4978

His scoring took away his edge. I liked him better as a 15-goal forward who would play physical as opposed to a one-dimensional 25-goal forward who doesn't play with an edge because he's 'too valuable' scoring to fight, and does nothing else well.

Paul Holmgren trolling the forum? 

I like Clarkie and would love to see him back next year, but he's not going to carry a team. So to overpay for him would be a crime. The Devil's style of play fit him perfectly. Not sure how he will fit into other systems....guess we'll see.

I'd pay money to see him play with Kadri and Lupul.

I like the guy but this is some sick stuff being thrown around.   I do think he will continue to be a scorer if given the ice-time, but there is so much of his game that is undeveloped.   Unless all of our coaching staffs were utterly horrendous and the light turns on for him, if he gets up in that $40-45M range, this is going to be one of the worst contracts of all time.

Edited by maxpower

I like clarkie as much as anyone else.  But, what is he? He is a third line player, that may move up to 2nd (injury) and play on 1st/2nd PP.  How much is that worth on any team. i realize intangibles, but hope much does one pay for a 3rd line winger?

4-$.5 max. If there's a team out there ready to pay him 5.5-6 God bless.