CLARKSON SIGNS w/TORONTO $36.75M / 7yrs

CaptainRafalski

I don't think it's happening considering what Lecavalier just got.

It could if theres a bidding war and he doesnt get an NMC. Depends on whose interested.

Id laugh if he took a massive contract from Winnipeg or something. Go get your money, Clarky.

Could we stop with this logic?  What Lecavalier gets has no bearing on what Clarkson will get.

It should.   If someone is dumb enough to give him $45M when better guys are going for far less.... I understand the hysteria and the marketing that goes into this stuff, but I just can't believe he's going to get that.

It should.   If someone is dumb enough to give him $45M when better guys are going for far less.... I understand the hysteria and the marketing that goes into this stuff, but I just can't believe he's going to get that.

Clarkson is younger and Vinny's best days are behind him.

It doesn't.  I don't think he will get that, but he could get $36M.  Lecavalier has money from his Tampa buyout, he doesn't have to take the highest offer, and his deal presents a fair amount of risk, given that he is hot garbage defensively.  You look at how someone like Pierre Turgeon's career ended.

What are the chances we can get Steve Ott as a replacement?

Tallinder for Ott?

Basically nil, Buffalo just got him a year ago after the Ryan Miller fiasco in Boston to provide grit and he had a good season, they ain't dealing him for a rent-a-defenseman.

It doesn't.  I don't think he will get that, but he could get $36M.  Lecavalier has money from his Tampa buyout, he doesn't have to take the highest offer, and his deal presents a fair amount of risk, given that he is hot garbage defensively.  You look at how someone like Pierre Turgeon's career ended.

I understand, but Clarkson is really only a 1 1/2 time 25-30 goal scorer, there's risk in that too.   If I had to chose between the two deals, I'd probably roll the dice with Lecavalier and just pray he gets past the early/mid 30's hump that makes me nervous with guys who started in the NHL at 18.

Clarkson is one of my favorite players, love guys that can fight and score, but I feel kind of 'whatever' about him leaving. If he can get a contract as large as Dreger thinks he can, then good for him. It sucks in the short term for the Devils to lose him but I sure as hell will be glad they won't owe him a ton of money as he ages into his 30's. Especially since I doubt he ages gracefully.

I know his agent is just doing his job and not to take the quote too seriously but it definitely comes across bad. The great thing about the Devils organization is it is never about one player. They'll be fine with or without him.

What do people think about Matteau replacing Clarkson, possibly this season, but definitely in the future? He was pegged as a power forward who cuts to the net and uses his size, pretty much exactly like Clarkson. Already got NHL time and he'll have a full camp to help adjust.

Here's an article with some comments from him, just put out by Chere. Sounds like he is really hungry to prove himself this year after his situation in junior

http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2013/07/devils_stefan_matteau_hopes_junior_incident_didnt_tarnish_reputation.html

Definitely in the future. I think Matteau spends most of this year getting some valuable AHL time with some call ups to NJ...unless the team is so desperate up front that they need him in the NHL full time. Matteau may not have the offensive upside that people associate with the 1st round label, but I like his chances of becoming a solid 3rd liner long term who can step up into the top 6 in a pinch.

I'm ok with that feisty.

Also, in terms of who we can pick up - I'm ok with big money-short term, because we don't have any big pay days coming up to young forwards.

Feisty, do you think Devils are expecting Reid Boucher to make the team?

Boucher is at least another year out.

I'm ok with that feisty.

Also, in terms of who we can pick up - I'm ok with big money-short term, because we don't have any big pay days coming up to young forwards.

I really hope they're not banking on it. If it happens, great but we don't want this to be like 02 with betting on Andreas Salomonsson and company or last year obviously with Bobby Butlers of the world. 

I'm ok with that feisty.

I'm not even a fan of Briere but if they can get him on a short term contract, even if it costs a bit, I'd be down for that.

I doubt they are expecting anything from Boucher this year and even the next. He won't turn 20 until September and is still pretty raw. His shot is definitely NHL quality but his skating and defensive game still need a lot of work. I hope they take their time with him and let him prove himself in the AHL over the next year or two. I also hope Devils fans are patient with him since his impressive stat line last year doesn't tell the full story. I'll admit I'm skeptical of him but it is intriguing to have a guy who is a pure goal scorer. Hopefully he puts it all together eventually.

Boucher fell off at the end of his AHL stint last season, I mean, he played alot of hockey but if they're banking on him playing next year.... whoa boy.

He maintained his shot rate, just didn't score.  He's not likely to be ready for the NHL, but the idea that he 'fell off' - Albany's not Sarnia, he's not going to be a point a game guy there.