CLARKSON SIGNS w/TORONTO $36.75M / 7yrs

CaptainRafalski

so reports from MTL are reporting too that clarkson is looking for 6m a year. Its matching what Detroit has been saying. lol

so who here was arguing with me awhile ago that Clarkson was not selfish? Please stand up

He's not "selfish", his agent is just capitalizing on a good 2 pre-UFA years. Honestly, his goal totals this shortened season was the worst thing that could've happened to us. 4-6 goals less and maybe everyone would've thought 2011-2012 was a fluke. A stupid year and a half of overachieving spiked his price up at least $2m...

so reports from MTL are reporting too that clarkson is looking for 6m a year. Its matching what Detroit has been saying. lol

so who here was arguing with me awhile ago that Clarkson was not selfish? Please stand up

I never argued with you that he wasn't selfish -- but I will now  :evil:

Clarkson taking a 6mpy contract isn't selfish.  Asking for it isn't either because it's not him, it's his agent pushing for all it's worth.  Clarkson is in NO WAY worth it -- but it's the agents job to work his warped magic for HIMSELF not for his player.  He's not working to get Clarky the best deal, he's working for himself, to get the biggest 10% from his clients that he can. 

This must be a dream come true for Morris (it is Morris right? I forget and refuse to look it up ^_^)  Devils ROCK for getting twerps huge paydays come free agency.  In fact the only free agent lost by NJ that could have turned the tide was Neidermayer -- but I still think even that was tough - he'd never have been the leader he became with the Ducks.

Some players (for themselves) need to stay some need to leave.  Holik needed to stay.  Gomez needed to stay.  Rafalski needed to go.  neidermayer needed to go.  Martin, Gionta, Parise, that ilk - whatever - they'll be the same wherever, so go where the money is and the freedom is, you know? Whatever makes them happy in their personal life.  I'm always fine with that.

Clarkson -- I used to think needed to stay.  but when I DO step into shoes he might wear (I have no effin' clue with this guy - he's like a Randy mcKay read - he loves his hockey and he loves his partying and he loves making the best of himself and all...is he smart?  Who the hell knows?  Does it even matter?  No.  is he valuable? no question (giggle)  Is he THAT valuable? not really  :noclue: )  Let's face it - as much as his agent and the press want to play this up - Devils aren't colored by it.  To ME, for my way of thinking which is pretty far from mainstream obviously, I'd really be hesitant to go to any team colored by talk - obviously they dont look for themselves they dont see clearly and can be lead to hate you as fast as they are led to love you -- and THIS is what you want managing the team you're on?  no.  Unless you know, your priorities are elsewhere - David's kind of should be elsewhere now.  I think it's fine if he concedes he's peaked and it's time to take the payoff.  Just dont go blowing sunshine up your ass thinking you're just entering your prime and that peak is still to come.  It's not.  Holik made that mistake but he lived with it no problem.

ANYHOW - it's not selfish.  Gomez... that was sort of greedy not just monetarily but more over ego-wise.  It was just a big stroke fest for him and that was what made it rather gross to watch.  Holik was a huge strokefest but I forgive him because he was acting out of spite and that's never gratifying.   Clarkson is NOTHING like those cases.  just NOTHING.  It's not his fault if people will pay and he'd be sort of nuts to NOT go for the payday particularly if he knows his best years are behind him.  I dont want him to confess that - why shoudl he?  but to me if he leaves that's the point.  He's not going to improve enough to merit this mad money so why not take it now?  Try as I may I just can't blame him or even feel angry or even feel SORRY FOR HIM if he leaves.  I feel nothing but "Good for you!"  It is a guys total life we're talking about not his hockey career -- this is pretty much what I want for Clarkson - he's earned it and he's got everything in perspective. That is one thing you know the guy really does have.  So I'm not upset no matter how it plays out.

What confuses me is that it seems like members if all fanbases including Toronto don't want him to get signed for more than 4/5, how are GMs at the highest level of each team thinking its a good idea?

I've seen Toronto fans voice nothing but disapproval, they're convinced Toronto won't be the team that offers him a monster contract..

Edited by DJ Eco

What confuses me is that it seems like members if all fanbases including Toronto don't want him to get signed for more than 4/5, how are GMs at the highest level of each team thinking its a good idea?

I've seen Toronto fans voice nothing but disapproval, they're convinced Toronto won't be the team that offers him a monster contract..

I think a lot of teams are banking on the cap going back up again after this season. That's the only real reason I can justify any team offering Clarkson 6 per year.

I like clarkson on this team.  He has his faults and the wrap arounds are actually funny to me.  I may be in the minority but I wouldn't even break 4 per season for him based on production and holes in his game.  I would like him back but even at 4.5 I don't think he's worth it.  If he can get a 6+ payday.  Go for it and take care of your family Clarky!

Clarkson, as expected, being targeted heavily by Ottawa. Spent the day in Ottawa yesterday. I think he is buddies with Spezza too. Ottawa has oodles of cap space, and I think would be a pretty solid fit. 

There's rumors that Melnyk is also in the same spot, personal finances wise, as Vanderbeek though.

Edited by Triumph

There's rumors that Melnyk is also in the same spot, personal finances wise, as Vanderbeek though.

Absolutely, and he went from saying they would always spend to the cap...to now having a very low cap limit. I think he saw how well the team did the past two seasons with a smaller cap and is almost punishing the staff for drafting so well.

Ottawa isn't going to outbid everyone for Clarkson. They might not even much more than the Devils. Murray is going to sell Clarkson on the city, the fans, the passion, being closer to home, and playing for a very good young team that is going to be a lot better in the next few years. If Clarkson wants the most money, he'll go elsewhere. 

Well the Leafs just bought Grabovski out or they are on the verge of it. Makin space for Clarky maybe? We can only speculate...

What a joke... "Making space for Clarkson... " Never thought I'd hear those words.. One team's in the verge of making a really big mistake..

I still think he's going to end up in Ottawa.

Yet he was reported as visiting the Oilers today. I think he's just seeing what's out there. Where he lands, no one knows. This thread has already said he's 100% going to the Leafs...why would he meet with Ott and Oils if that was true? No one knows. we will in 13.5 hours I guess. I hope he stays at a decent price, I have a signed jersey of his and a signed stick of his. He's obviously my fan favorite player. I will be bummed if he leaves.

He'd be awful in Ottawa. What's worse is he could make a case for himself there - conveniently forgetting why it sucks. No no no. Edmonton at least you're prepared for everything sucking ass.

So funny I was thinking about how Clarkson has a persona comparable to Mike fisher, sans the whole Jesus thing. But not so much the on ice thing... It's just stupid. Both sides stupid stupid stupid. No it could NOT be a good idea. I just know that some superficial assmonkey had the same thought and proceeded to talk everyone else into the idea. "Ya know what we need? ". This is why Lou is so great. He'd be the first to say No, we don't. And be done with it.

Well actually for the Devils and my amusement it could be a good idea. But not for hockey not for Ottawa. For Clarkson if he just wants $$ and is willing to pay the price it's ok. There will be a real price to be paid though. He deserves some suckage - the bad kind. He'll learn about life.

Edited by Pepperkorn

I get the feeling Clarkson is going to sign the biggest "mistake" contact this off-season. 

First 14 GP:  10 G, 6 A  (16.7 shooting%)

Last 28 GP:  5 G, 3 A  (4.2 shooting %)

Of course, it's doubtful that he'll ever go through a full season that mimics that 28-game stretch, but he's had a couple of low% seasons before.  And not only that, he averaged 3.75 SOG per game last season...in fact, he led the Devils by a fair margin (Kovy was second at 3.32 SOG per game).  Elias was third at 2.46.  Clarkson's stats are the kinds of numbers that show too much offense going through a guy who really isn't up to it.  For starters, he's going to have to shoot a hell of a lot better than last year's 8.3% to justify shooting the puck so damned much.  This isn't a great comparison, but he's like the NBA player who scores 20 points on something like 10-for-31 shooting.    

Heaven forbid he signs for somewhere for $6 mil/year longterm and gets off to a start like the above 28-game stretch.  For the money he's going to sign for, his team and the fans are going to expect offense and production. 

Over a 94-game stretch, Clarkson scored 40 goals on 13.9% shooting.  That reeks of a massive peak he'll be hard-pressed to come close to matching.  But I get the feeling this is pretty close to what his future employer will expect.  Suffice it to say I'm glad it won't be the Devils making this gaffe.

I get the feeling Clarkson is going to sign the biggest "mistake" contact this off-season. 

First 14 GP:  10 G, 6 A  (16.7 shooting%)

Last 28 GP:  5 G, 3 A  (4.2 shooting %)

Of course, it's doubtful that he'll ever go through a full season that mimics that 28-game stretch, but he's had a couple of low% seasons before.  And not only that, he averaged 3.75 SOG per game last season...in fact, he led the Devils by a fair margin (Kovy was second at 3.32 SOG per game).  Elias was third at 2.46.  Clarkson's stats are the kinds of numbers that show too much offense going through a guy who really isn't up to it.  For starters, he's going to have to shoot a hell of a lot better than last year's 8.3% to justify shooting the puck so damned much.  This isn't a great comparison, but he's like the NBA player who scores 20 points on something like 10-for-31 shooting.    

Heaven forbid he signs for somewhere for $6 mil/year longterm and gets off to a start like the above 28-game stretch.  For the money he's going to sign for, his team and the fans are going to expect offense and production. 

Over a 94-game stretch, Clarkson scored 40 goals on 13.9% shooting.  That reeks of a massive peak he'll be hard-pressed to come close to matching.  But I get the feeling this is pretty close to what his future employer will expect.  Suffice it to say I'm glad it won't be the Devils making this gaffe.

The one thing that a lot of teams might look at is that Clarkson has never played with an elite center or that many very good players. He did see times last season with a guy like Elias, but he put up some good numbers playing without big time players in the past. I think a team like Ottawa is selling on him playing with Spezza, or Edmonton with their young guns.

Not sure who or who wouldn't complement his game, but it's all part of it for different teams. We may have not seen the best of Clarkson just yet.