CLARKSON SIGNS w/TORONTO $36.75M / 7yrs

CaptainRafalski

Elias has made a career of making his linemates be productive and appear better than they are.

Clarkson is no exception and I don't see Clarkson being any better than he has been these last two yrs.

I think Clarkson is a very self aware player - he's best when he takes charge.  but he's not all that confident in reality, so once it dawns on him he' sin charge he kind of chokes, he loses focus and starts watching himself play.  (Maybe he is a good fit in Ottawa).

When he's committed to following, in that he's letting a star linemate take over, he also loses focus.

What he needs is simple confidence and trust in himself beyond as far as he's taken it.  What's odd is I suspect what he considers his strong suit has actually turned into his limitation at this point.  I don't think he's going to get out from under that any where - NJ included, so what you see is what you get.  Unless he's just SO trapped that he's all he's got and has to fight his way out of it, I dont see him growing much more as a player.  Linemates won't do it, I don't think. 

PEPPERKORN SIDEBAR - no need to read I'm just putting it out there.

The whole problem is that in his wildest dreams - THIS is as far as Clarkson has taken it. Our dreams honestly hone our future and set our limitations.  He's gone no further than this - being desired in the NHL.  It's funny how you guys dont understand these things.  I feel like no one here has (withe sincerity) chased an unrealistic dream or maybe you're in the process and can't face up to certain things about the climb up.   because it's where the truth of it all lies - the intangibles that actually make or break a team.  Conte would get it.  I can tell by his quotes he totally gets it - what it is to be at the very top echelon and how you got there and what it takes to stay -- or rather what choices you are going to be capable of making... to SEE when you are really there faced with these choices.  I actually don't think life/career choices are the same at every level of life.  The investment in a sports of performing career is very different than the investment in a career in science or something. You guys really can't empathize because you don't do that - you can't imagine - WANTING to be  is the difference in the thinking -- well actually it's how far you want to take it - setting the benchmarks.  Not the leg work but the dream and the choice to go for it to commit to it- and how far you take that choice without taoing through it. 

Like Scott Stevens knowing he HAD to be IN THE NHL right at the get go -- because he knew where he had to take it.  Parise, Matteau -- these guys know where they have to take it thanks to their family.  Clarkson knew just up to this point - and now that's it.  Gomez knew up to the signing with the Rags point... and that was it (I wrote so at the time - how it was that stupid apartment - an adolescent dream that he stalled on).   I wish you all understood what that's like. It's not a simple thing - to brush this stuff aside, you know... it's just working half blind.  :noclue:

Edited by Pepperkorn

Maybe Clarkson was laughed at by the interested teams when he asked for 6mil and was like, "I guess I'll just stay in Jersey."

I was thinking the same thing.  Interview goes well until he says his demands.  I really can't see any intelligent GM giving him that, nevermind laughing in his face. 

Now the ball is in your call jackass agent.

Elias has made a career of making his linemates be productive and appear better than they are.

Clarkson is no exception and I don't see Clarkson being any better than he has been these last two yrs.

This x1000.  That is the kind of player Elias is.

Edited by lucifer91

How many players has Elias built up only to have crash without him:  just recently we've had Bergfors, Sykora, Gionta, Gomez, and now Clarkson.   Elias just doesn't get paid enough turning straw players into another fool's gold.

I am hearing Clarkson to Toronto for 7 years at $6.0 million per season.   Elias should get a percentage of this.

Tom Gulitti ‏@TGfireandice 2m

RT @DarrenDreger: Little doubt David Clarkson will get a 7 year term. Some gm's think he will get $6 mil or higher per

Absolute, utter lunacy. I give it 2 years before he's bought out.

i can't believe I'm seeing this, someone needs to lose his job

How many players has Elias built up only to have crash without him:  just recently we've had Bergfors, Sykora, Gionta, Gomez, and now Clarkson.   Elias just doesn't get paid enough turning straw players into another fool's gold.

I am hearing Clarkson to Toronto for 7 years at $6.0 million per season.   Elias should get a percentage of this.

That's ridiculous. Elias has done some good things with a lot of players, but I don't think he is a big factor in Clarkson's goal scoring rise. There wasn't some great chemistry between the two like with Gomez/Gionta and Arnott/Sykora. Pretty unfair.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qkG2r_OTp8

Tom Gulitti ‏@TGfireandice 2m

RT @DarrenDreger: Little doubt David Clarkson will get a 7 year term. Some gm's think he will get $6 mil or higher per

Absolute, utter lunacy. I give it 2 years before he's bought out.

I thought that last sentence was part of the tweet, I was about to say OMG... But that was you lol..

That's ridiculous. Elias has done some good things with a lot of players, but I don't think he is a big factor in Clarkson's goal scoring rise. There wasn't some great chemistry between the two like with Gomez/Gionta and Arnott/Sykora. Pretty unfair.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qkG2r_OTp8

You are correct, there was not the same level of chemistry with Clarkson, and yes, it wasn't necessarily as big a factor for his goal scoring.  

Terrible deal. Can't get my head around the love he's getting from the media. I don't think I have ever seen a player so overrated.

Kind of sad, because this deal is going to destroy his career. Hope it doesn't. He's a guy you love when he's on your team and probably hate when he's an opponent. Me, I'll remember those Devils years. Good guy, just extremely overpaid.

I was a huge fan of Clarkson so I'll miss him but I'm glad the Devils won't be paying that contract. Good for him though, he worked against the odds to get into the league and then made something of himself. This contract should set up his family well so I have no hard feelings towards him.

• Like 1