CLARKSON SIGNS w/TORONTO $36.75M / 7yrs

CaptainRafalski

cant lie pretty disappointed about this .. as much as ive been preparing myself that this was going to happen and there was a good chance he was no longer going to be devil iam super disappointed.. i loved this guy he was one of my favorites.. i know this doesnt mean hes completely gone but i think by now we all prettymuch know whats up. if he wanted to truely stay here he would have made more of an effort to work something out with lou. not as loyal as he came off to be i guess. this just made my morning sh!tty. exactly why you cant get attatched to players.

Nearly all those goals came during the first quarter of the season, when the Devils were in first place.  Again, David Clarkson is not a top 6 forward, and that's the money he's going to get (maybe even top 3 on some teams).  It's not worth it.  If he took something similar to the Zubrus contract, I'd be perfectly fine with it...but that's not going to happen.   

so what? they still came and gave us a few wins. Thats the thing with sports fans, they'll make excuses for the players they like and sh!t on the player they don't no matter what he does. 

and by now everyone knows that i never liked Clarkson. Yet im taking his defence now cause its getting ridiculous, of course he's not worth 6m or wtv but the guy was scoring, fighting, checking, screening the goalie, good on the forecheck, was good along the boards. Thats still a LOT of very helpful things that we'll be missing if he leave.

again its one thing to be afraid of overpay a player but im WAY more afraid of losing him and not being able to sign someone to replace his production AND sign someone else to replace Zach's production who was still not replaced last season. Signing one UFA won't be enough to cover if we lose him. Unless we get incredible goaltending which allows us to win games scoring 1-2 goals again.

wow Clarkson's agent sounds like a douche, well maybe not but that quote is rubbing me the wrong way.

http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/fireice/comments/clarkson_preparing_to_start_fielding_offers_from_other_teams_after_turning_down_devils_offer/

And Clarkson could have very well been facing life without the NHL had Lou not given him a chance.  One word:  undrafted.

I know this is the agent talking, but man does he sound like the stereotype of so many agents...just an annoying, wormy little zilch who took his share of playground pummelings as a youth. 

Do your job, get your client the best contract, I get that part of it, but don't be a dick.  That approach may work with some GMs, but it definitely isn't going to get it done with Lou.  Just ask Gilles Lupien. 

Clarkson at anything more than $4.5 mil/year screams lunacy to me.  I'm not even that comfortable with that much.  Even if the Devils don't sign a similar player immediately, I'd rather that than Clarkson being signed to "being scared to lose him overpay" money. 

And we're forgetting that Matteau can possibly replace Clarkson in the future. Maybe not next season, but certainly a hell of a lot cheaper over the next 5-7 years. Clarky brought some great locker room/character intangibles, but considering he wasn't much before DeBoer, I'm completely fine with this. Now let's hope the Devils sign a real scorer.

Can't believe Clarkson's agent would make comments like that. David has so much respect for Lou and the Devils that I wouldn't be surprised if he yells at his agent about this. Not the way you want leave

Clarkson's agent's quote about money seems to indicate that Clarkson wants signing bonus money - I don't think he'll get that here, the Devils typically don't do that (Kovalchuk's contract doesn't even have any signing bonuses in it).

other than the value of current money, i can't see the big deal in a signing bonus with the way the cap is set up. unless its protection from a buyout?

That signing bonus stuff is such bullsh!t.  It's an absolute advantage that the big market teams still have over the smaller market teams.

It's not a very big advantage at all.  Signing bonuses still count on the salary cap.  If the Devils had an owner who didn't spend his summers looking behind the 36 couches and love seats in his house for change to pay player salaries, it wouldn't be much of an issue.

other than the value of current money, i can't see the big deal in a signing bonus with the way the cap is set up. unless its protection from a buyout?

It's not a big deal, but it's something he'll almost certainly get from e.g. Toronto.  It might confer a certain amount of status.  And if David's somehow in need of money right now, I imagine it'd be very important.

Clarkson at anything more than $4.5 mil/year screams lunacy to me.  I'm not even that comfortable with that much.  Even if the Devils don't sign a similar player immediately, I'd rather that than Clarkson being signed to "being scared to lose him overpay" money. 

My guess is that's exactly what Lou offered ($4.5m) and the agent is waiting for Toronto's deal.

Looks like I'll be curled up in a blanket, crying all day and watching Clarky highlights. Two summers in a row. I can't take this heart break Lou

do you *want* to pay a guy who's never put up 50 points in a season 6million? Nooooooooo thanks. Only a team as dumb as the Leafs would give him that and they'll wanna run him out of town when they see how inept a first liner he would be

wow Clarkson's agent sounds like a douche, well maybe not but that quote is rubbing me the wrong way.

http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/fireice/comments/clarkson_preparing_to_start_fielding_offers_from_other_teams_after_turning_down_devils_offer/

And Clarkson could have very well been facing life without the NHL had Lou not given him a chance.  One word:  undrafted.

I know this is the agent talking, but man does he sound like the stereotype of so many agents...just an annoying, wormy little zilch who took his share of playground pummelings as a youth. 

Do your job, get your client the best contract, I get that part of it, but don't be a dick.  That approach may work with some GMs, but it definitely isn't going to get it done with Lou.  Just ask Gilles Lupien. 

fvck the agent and fvck Clarkson. If that's how they're gonna treat this, they can hit the bricks. 'Economic peril'? 'Life without David'? Suck my fvcking balls Pat Morris, you little cocksucker.
  • Like 1

"@ToddCordell: Holy smokes. That's too much. MT @MikeInBuffalo Dreger speculated $6 to $6.5 M for Clarkson."

HAHAHAA!!!!  Have fun with that contract Toronto.  Although I will definitely miss the Clarkaround and him tripping over the blueline every time we entered the offensive zone, it isn't worth $6 million/season. 

Seriously liked Clarkson because he brings a lot to the table, but F that!