2013-14 Prospect Thread

thefiestygoat

I figured we might as well get the 2013-14 thread up and running with the prospect development camp coming up (July 15-19) and then national camps following weeks later. Right now here are the Devils prospects and where they will be playing this upcoming season:

Advanced to Pros:
D Jon Merrill, D Seth Helgeson, LW Stefan Matteau, LW Reid Boucher, D Reece Scarlett, LW Myles Bell*

New Additions:
D Steve Santini, C Ryan Kujawinski, LW Miles Wood, LW Myles Bell, G Anthony Brodeur

NCAA:
Wisconsin: D Joe Faust (SR)
Ohio State: D Curtis Gedig (SR)
North Dakota: LW Derek Rodwell (SR)
Miami: C Blake Coleman (JR)
Michigan Tech: LW Blake Pietila (JR)
Harvard: C Alex Kerfoot (FR)
Boston College: D Steve Santini (FR)
Brown: LW Miles Wood (FR)

QMJHL:
Gatineau: G Anthony Brodeur

OHL:
Windsor: LW Ben Johnson**
Kitchener: LW Ben Thomson*
Kingston: C Ryan Kujawinski

WHL:
Swfit Current: C Graham Black*
Kelowna: D Damon Severson

KHL:

Dinamo-Minsk: F Artur Gavrus (Oshawa hold his OHL rights via trade from Owen Sound)

*Could go pro or return for overage season.
**No idea what his current legal situation is.

I figured Bell is ready to move onto the AHL/ECHL, Thomson could go either way as he is more of a future enforcer than prospect, and I'm guessing the Devils may take it easy on Black with his Grave's Disease.

---

D Damon Severson is on the roster for Canada's summer camp for the 2014 WJHC. Their camp gets underway on August 4.

D Steve Santini and LW Stefan Matteau are on the roster for the USA summer camp for the 2014 WJHC. That camp gets underway August 3.

I believe F Artur Gavrus will be eligible for Belarus in the WJHC Division 1A as he doesn't turn 20 until January 3 and the competition is in December.

---

Please let me know if I made any errors above.

EDIT: Corrected Gavrus' status.

Edited by thefiestygoat

Awesome - I was waiting for you to start this.

It was reported today that Artur Gavrus (who btw was traded to Oshawa last week for a conditional OHL pick) signed with Dinamo Minsk of the KHL.

Source:  https://twitter.com/coreypronman/status/352797515164299264

Thanks for pointing that out, I was completely oblivious to both his OHL trade and KHL deal. Original post is corrected.

Looks like Gavrus is more likely to play the full year in the KHL but it is interesting that Oshawa would trade for his rights since DeBoer is part owner of that club.

severson is signed. i thought it was assumed he was going to albany?

He doesn't turn 19 until August 7 so he has to play another year in the WHL. I bet he could handle the AHL if he was allowed to play there though.

I guess I'll stoke the fire a bit - Pronman released his org rankings today (prospects only), NJ was 28th:  http://www.hockeyprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=1553 - seems about right.

I'll be curious if Gavrus is at development camp.  He wasn't there last year because he was injured.  If he's not there, it's a good sign that he's focused on the KHL only.

Edited by Triumph

I guess I'll stoke the fire a bit - Pronman released his org rankings today (prospects only), NJ was 28th: http://www.hockeyprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=1553 - seems about right.

I'll be curious if Gavrus is at development camp. He wasn't there last year because he was injured. If he's not there, it's a good sign that he's focused on the KHL only.

So why are you posting that ranking thing? You called me out not too long ago for simply bringing up our low prospect pool ranking saying no one cares about that and now you post this? Edited by SterioDesign

Lou usually invites a few un-drafted college players(grads).  Love this time of the year. 

I was looking at last year's invitees to see where they are now. Looks like some of them may be invited back just from being local residents or attending Princeton. Will be interesting to see the whole list when it's announced in a few days.

2012 Undrafted/Unsigned Invitees - Age/HT/WT - 2013-14 team

G Chris Rawlings - 24/6'5/207 - ?

- ATO w/ Portland Pirates (AHL Coyotes) and Idaho Steelheads (ECHL Stars) end of last year

- 4 years at Northeastern: 123 GP 47-55-16 2.83 GAA .914 SV%

F Kevin Goumas - 21/5'10/160 - New Hampshire

- 3 years at New Hampshire: 106 GP 25-69-94 +36 107 PIM

F Jack Berger - 22/6'3/220 - Princeton

- 3 years at Princeton: 95 GP 15-28-43 -7 39 PIM

F Mike Ambrosia - 21/5'10/180 - Princeton

- 1 year at Princeton: 21 GP 6-5-11 -5 29 PIM

- From NJ

D Matt Killian - 20/6'1/200 - Yale

- 2 years at Yale: 51 GP 1-11-12 12 PIM

- 2012-13 National Champion

- Attended 2011 Camp

- From NJ

LW Peter McMullen - 20/6'1/209 - Boston College

- 1 year at Boston College: 6 GP 0-0-0 -1 2 PIM

- Attended 2011 Camp

- From NJ

RW J.T. Barnett - 20/6'1/205 - ?

- 5 WHL seasons w/ Vancouver, Kamloops, Everett, Kelowna

- WHL career: 259 GP 57-74-131 -19 130 PIM

- Attended 2011 Camp

F David Friedmann - 20/5'11/185 - Robert Morris

- 1 year at Robert Morris: 28 GP 6-7-13 +5 22 PIM

LW Marcello Ranallo - 26/5'11/190 - Quad City (Central Hockey League), Angers (France)

- Last year w/ Quad City: 3 GP 0-0-0 E 0 PIM

- Last year w/ Angers: 17 GP 6-9-15 +9 2 PIM

- 4 years at Connecticut: 148 GP 19-47-66 107 PIM

So why are you posting that ranking thing? You called me out not too long ago for simply bringing up our low prospect pool ranking saying no one cares about that and now you post this?

Did you see me say 'I guess I'll stoke the fire?'  That means I am just stimulating talk.  I guess I have to add a caveat about how I think prospect rankings aren't really that important, because I don't.  So there.

I guess I'll stoke the fire a bit - Pronman released his org rankings today (prospects only), NJ was 28th:  http://www.hockeyprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=1553 - seems about right.

I'll be curious if Gavrus is at development camp.  He wasn't there last year because he was injured.  If he's not there, it's a good sign that he's focused on the KHL only.

Can't argue with that low ranking. Quality and quantity at defense but no true top end talent at forward. A lot of nice depth forwards and projects with upside but nothing to get excessively excited about. Hopefully we don't have to wait too long for his top 10 prospects and honorable mentions.

I hope Gavrus is at the camp but I'm not sure how likely it is. I think KHL pre-season camps start real early (August or something) and maybe he would rather stay home for the time being as he prepares for that. I wouldn't blame him for that.

I was looking at last year's invitees to see where they are now. Looks like some of them may be invited back just from being local residents or attending Princeton. Will be interesting to see the whole list when it's announced in a few days.

- ATO w/ Portland Pirates (AHL Coyotes) and Idaho Steelheads (ECHL Stars) end of last year

- From NJ

- Attended 2011 Camp

- From NJ

- Attended 2011 Camp

- From NJ

- Attended 2011 Camp

LW Marcello Ranallo - 26/5'11/190 - Quad City (Central Hockey League), Angers (France)

- From NJ

- Attended 2011 Camp

- From NJ

- Attended 2011 Camp

- From NJ

- Attended 2011 Camp

Thanks Fiesty for doing this.  Wonder what Lou (& Flyers for that matter) will send their ECHL overflow from AHL? Also, JS Berube wasn't qualified? I guess he's gone?

Berube could be back on an AHL deal, but yeah, wasn't qualified and I doubt he'll be on an NHL.

Thanks Jason for digging those up.  BTW, for anyone deprived of hockey who wants to watch those games with Santini, he's #16.  I watched a few shifts late last night of the Finals, might watch the rest during the MLB All-Star Break, but it looked like they wanted him to break the puck out of the zone, not his defense partner.

Edited by Triumph
  • Like 1

Can't argue with that low ranking. Quality and quantity at defense but no true top end talent at forward. A lot of nice depth forwards and projects with upside but nothing to get excessively excited about. Hopefully we don't have to wait too long for his top 10 prospects and honorable mentions.

I hope Gavrus is at the camp but I'm not sure how likely it is. I think KHL pre-season camps start real early (August or something) and maybe he would rather stay home for the time being as he prepares for that. I wouldn't blame him for that.

I don't like it but it's probably about right. Especially since a lot of the top end talent still not in the league came out of hte first round this year. But it's all a crapshoot from like 15 on if not before that. It's just a matter of us not having any forwards beyond Matteau and Boucher. If we'd have taken Nichushkin, we'd probably be around 15-20, but I'd rather have Schneider so whatever

I guess I'll stoke the fire a bit - Pronman released his org rankings today (prospects only), NJ was 28th: http://www.hockeyprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=1553 - seems about right.

I'll be curious if Gavrus is at development camp. He wasn't there last year because he was injured. If he's not there, it's a good sign that he's focused on the KHL only.

I don't think the Devils are 28th but that number is close I think. 24-25ish? Prospect pools don't matter much though I think. What matters is having 6-7 NHL caliber players in there (which the devils do.)

It's hard for me to dispute the Devils' ranking more because I'm not all that familiar with other teams' prospects.  However, it's hard for me to figure how the Devils are ranked below the Rangers, or frankly, that the Rangers aren't last, especially if Kreider is considered a "graduate", which isn't entirely clear.  With the exception of McIlrath, it would seem that the Rags have no one in their system that you can confidently project to be an NHL regular defenseman.  (And I only say McIlrath because he'll be given every chance to succeed given his high draft status and the lack of depth on defense for the Rangers at the pro level).  Skej had an awful Freshman year at Minnesota.  And especially if you don't count Kreider, the Devils would have about equal or better forward depth than the Rangers -- JT Miller will probably be a steady pro, and you hear good things about Fast and St. Croix.

With the Devils, I know they're weak at forward, but the defense is absolutely stacked with at least four players you can project to be NHLers in the next year or two (Urbom, Severson, Merrill and Gelinas) and that doesn't count Santini and Scarlett. That has to count for something, or something more than Pronman is giving it credit for.  Ultimately though, organizational rankings are fun for discussion purposes, but basically useless no matter how much you respect the person doing the rankings.  I prefer to look at individual players to see what they can contribute.

One last note, In response to one of my tweets, Pronman said he doesn't think you can say, right now anyway, that Severson has first pairing upside.    

It's hard for me to dispute the Devils' ranking more because I'm not all that familiar with other teams' prospects.  However, it's hard for me to figure how the Devils are ranked below the Rangers, or frankly, that the Rangers aren't last, especially if Kreider is considered a "graduate", which isn't entirely clear.  With the exception of McIlrath, it would seem that the Rags have no one in their system that you can confidently project to be an NHL regular defenseman.  (And I only say McIlrath because he'll be given every chance to succeed given his high draft status and the lack of depth on defense for the Rangers at the pro level).  Skej had an awful Freshman year at Minnesota.  And especially if you don't count Kreider, the Devils would have about equal or better forward depth than the Rangers -- JT Miller will probably be a steady pro, and you hear good things about Fast and St. Croix.

No, the Rangers clearly have better forward depth.  Kristo, Fast, Krieder, St. Croix, Nieves, Buchevich, Duclair is definitely better than what NJ has.  Compare that to Boucher, Matteau, Pietila, Kujawinski, Bell, Black, Coleman (who I would rate as NJ's top 7 forward prospects), NYR wins out on almost all of them.

One last note, In response to one of my tweets, Pronman said he doesn't think you can say, right now anyway, that Severson has first pairing upside.    

This is one of those things that upsets me because almost no defensemen have first pairing upside, and yet many defensemen become 1st pairing D.  And in fact, a lot of players with '1st pairing upside' drafted high don't become 1st pairing D men.  That's because players become 1st pairing D in the NHL.  So I think it's silly for Pronman to say that.

Edited by Triumph

This is one of those things that upsets me because almost no defensemen have first pairing upside, and yet many defensemen become 1st pairing D.  And in fact, a lot of players with '1st pairing upside' drafted high don't become 1st pairing D men.  That's because players become 1st pairing D in the NHL.  So I think it's silly for Pronman to say that.

I think that's why I hope everyone takes these rankings with a grain of salt. Every organization seems to have NHL players in them and w/ defensemen especially, it's hard to predict what they can do on the next level. Just look at Fayne who wasn't exaclty a good prospect. It's not like baseball where the Yankees may not have anyone at the top of their prospects list even make it to the majors and you can generally tell if a farm system's terrible bc of lack of any major league talent (like Houston a couple years ago w/ Ed Wade), every team in the league will have prospects at least show up at some point and many of them can't fully be judged until they're up if that makes sense.