2013-14 Prospect Thread

thefiestygoat

Surprised the Devils sent Myles Bell back to Kelowna and kept Ben Thomson in Albany camp. I really thought Bell was going to get his ELC before this season but I suppose they want to give him the chance to get more playing time in Kelowna than he would've had in Albany. Thomson's only chance to get to the NHL one day is to fight his way there and right now the Devils have a lot of those low end talents in Albany/ECHL so I suppose he could still end up back in Kitchener.

I posted this about Bell on HF

Regan Bartel ‏@Reganrant 18h

Conte also tells me Myles Bell will return to @Kelowna_Rockets this season. "He will have a dominant role and I think that's a good thing."

http://reganbartel.blogspot.com/

Devils Vice President David Conte told me this afternoon the Calgary resident preformed well at training camp.

"I think he has improved daily. He has done a good job with himself physically. The experience of a new position takes time. In Kelowna, he is in very good hands"

------------------------

So I guess Bell wasn't surprised by the cuts this morning. I wonder if he'll be in the lineup for their season opener.

Seems like Devils want him to get more time learning forward in an easier league.

Friday 9/20
KHL
Dinamo Minsk lost to Atlant Moscow Oblast 3-2
Artur Gavrus C: -1, 7/10 Faceoffs, 13:07 TOI

QMJHL
Gatineau lost to Val-d'Or 5-0
Anthony Brodeur G: Did Not Dress (Just returned from NJ)

OHL
Kitchener defeated Saginaw 4-2
Ben Thomson LW: In Albany Camp

Kingston defeated North Bay 5-2
Ryan Kujawinski C: 2 Goals, +1* 3rd Star

WHL
Kelowna defeated Kamloops 5-2
Myles Bell LW: Did Not Dress (Just returned from NJ)
Damon Severson D: In New Jersey Camp

I noticed Kelowna had 3 A's on the gamesheet. Maybe Bell will be named captain?

EDIT: Nice find Devils731, that makes a lot of sense. I have to say that Regan Bartel guy seems to do a great job covering Kelowna, wish I knew about him last year.

Edited by thefiestygoat

Seems there's been little discussion about the fact that Albany plays some home games in A.C.  There must be reason. Planting the seed of interest?Are the putting out feelers to see if there's interest in an AHL team? or another ECHL team? (which failed once before)The Albany Devils are better suited (travel wise) to stay close to the teams close by. Why move down here (NJ) and have to travel all that way.  When Phantoms played @ Spectrum, they traveled further than every other team in the conference.  Something carolina is dealing with now.  If Devils wanted to move closer to home, they might consider Conn.

It's nice to have team in your backyard for call ups, but sucks for them to travel.  

Seems there's been little discussion about the fact that Albany plays some home games in A.C.  There must be reason. Planting the seed of interest?Are the putting out feelers to see if there's interest in an AHL team? or another ECHL team? (which failed once before)The Albany Devils are better suited (travel wise) to stay close to the teams close by. Why move down here (NJ) and have to travel all that way.  When Phantoms played @ Spectrum, they traveled further than every other team in the conference.  Something carolina is dealing with now.  If Devils wanted to move closer to home, they might consider Conn.

It's nice to have team in your backyard for call ups, but sucks for them to travel.  

Moving the A-Devils to Connecticut seems intriguing...

This is mostly speculation but I've read that the Islanders want to move their affiliate, the Bridgeport Sound Tigers, to Nassau Coliseum when it is renovated and the Islanders are at the Barclays Center. Bruce Ratner won the bid to renovate it and the Islanders now have connections with him thru the Nets (who some speculate want their D-League team there too). If that happens, then maybe Bridgeport becomes available for the Devils to get their team closer?...if they want that. According to google, Newark to Albany is 2 hours 20 minutes. Newark to Bridgeport is 1 hour 24 minutes.

Slightly off topic, but it looks very possible the renovated Nassau Coliseum could have 2 full time minor league tenants, about 6 Islanders games a year, and maybe a Nets preseason game or two. Not that bad.

Moving the A-Devils to Connecticut seems intriguing...

This is mostly speculation but I've read that the Islanders want to move their affiliate, the Bridgeport Sound Tigers, to Nassau Coliseum when it is renovated and the Islanders are at the Barclays Center. Bruce Ratner won the bid to renovate it and the Islanders now have connections with him thru the Nets (who some speculate want their D-League team there too). If that happens, then maybe Bridgeport becomes available for the Devils to get their team closer?...if they want that. According to google, Newark to Albany is 2 hours 20 minutes. Newark to Bridgeport is 1 hour 24 minutes.

Slightly off topic, but it looks very possible the renovated Nassau Coliseum could have 2 full time minor league tenants, about 6 Islanders games a year, and maybe a Nets preseason game or two. Not that bad.

A friend of mine had mentioned that there is speculation that the Rangers were looking to move their farm team out of Hartford. It wouldn't shock me if the Devils looked at Hartford as well if that were true.

Friday 9/27
QMJHL
Gatineau lost to Rimouski 3-2
Anthony Brodeur G: 15 Saves on 18 Shots* 1st Star

OHL
Kitchener lost to Peterborough 5-4
Ben Thomson LW: In Albany Camp

Kingston defeated Niagara 5-1
Ryan Kujawinski C: E, 2 PIM (Hooking)

Kujawinski wore an A for Kingston.

WHL
Swift Current lost to Moose Jaw 3-2 (SO)
Graham Black C: Goal (PP), E, Stopped in SO

Anthony Brodeur is 1-1 with a 3.57 GAA and an .825 save% in two games for the Olympiques (40 shots, 33 saves).  As feisty posted, second star in his first game, first star in his second game (probably for taking the ice so quickly after losing his grandfather).  The QMJHL can be a real bitch to goalies (like the PCL can be to pitchers), so he's probably performing better than the numbers would indicate (also a teeny tiny sample of course). 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Saturday 9/28
KHL
Dinamo Minsk defeated Avtomobilist 2-0
Artur Gavrus C: +1, 2 Shots, 6/14 Faceoffs, 17:02 TOI

QMJHL
Gatineau defeated Shawinigan 4-1
Anthony Brodeur G: 16 Saves on 17 Shots

OHL
Windsor defeated Erie 8-4
Ben Johnson LW: Goal, +1

WHL
Swift Current lost to Medicine Hat 3-1
Graham Black C: Goal (PP), E* 3rd Star

Kelowna lost to Victoria 4-3 (SO)
Damon Severson D: -1, 2 PIM (High Sticking), Scored in SO* 3rd Star
Myles Bell LW: Goal, Assist, +2, 2 PIM (Elbowing), Scored in SO* 2nd Star

Both Severson and Bell wore A's in their season debuts for Kelowna.

-------
Jeremy Brodeur is off to a strong junior season for Shattuck-St. Mary's (USHS) with 2 shutouts in 2 games.

Wednesday 10/2
KHL
Dinamo Minsk defeated Yugra Khanty-Mansiysk 5-3
Artur Gavrus C: Assist, +3, 5/7 Faceoffs, 9:14 TOI
Season: 11 GP, 1-2-3, +2, 4 PIM, 1.3 SH/GP, 7.1 SH%, 45.5 FO%, 13:47 TOI/GP

QMJHL
Gatineau lost to Charlottetown 5-3
Anthony Brodeur G: DNP
Season: 2-1-0, 2.69 GAA, .860 SV%

OHL
Kingston defeated Belleville 4-3 (OT)
Ryan Kujawinski C: Goal (GWG), +1, 4 PIM (High Sticking)
Season: 4 GP, 4-0-4, +2, 8 PIM

WHL
Swift Current defeated Saskatoon 5-3
Graham Black C: 3 Assists (1 PP), +1* 1st Star
Season: 4 GP, 3-3-6, +1, 2 PIM

Kelowna defeated Everett 6-3
Damon Severson D: Goal, +1, 2 PIM (High Sticking)
Season: 2 GP, 1-0-1, E, 4 PIM

Myles Bell LW: +1, 4 PIM (Boarding, Tripping)
Season: 2 GP, 1-1-2, +3, 6 PIM

United States of Hockey: NCAA 1st Year Players to Watch

Steven Santini — D — Boston College — Since then, he’s developed into one of the best young defensive defensemen I’ve seen in the last several years. He was the directorate award winner at the World Under-18 Championship as the tournament’s best defenseman. He played huge minutes and shutdown such players as Valeri Nichushkin (a potential Calder candidate) and Canadian sensation Connor McDavid. Santini is an incredibly strong skater, he is physical and always seems to get himself to the right place in the D-zone. The offensive side of his game isn’t much, but when this 6-2, 201-pound rearguard is on the ice, other teams should have a tough time scoring.

Thursday 10/3
OHL
Windsor defeated Plymouth 5-1
Ben Johnson LW: 3 Goals (1 SH), +3* 1st Star
Season: 3 GP, 4-0-4, +4, 0 PIM

Johnson's hat trick came against Alex Nedeljkovic who was just named CHL goaltender of the week. Nedeljkovic is one of the top G prospects for the 2014 draft. Johnson skated LW on a line with C Brady Vail (MTL '12 4/94) and RW Steven Janes (undrafted overager).

Thank you thefeistygoat!  You do a bang up job!

Thanks, I appreciate it!

Friday 10/4

KHL

Dinamo Minsk defeated Avangard Omsk 4-3

Artur Gavrus C: E, 4/11 Faceoffs, 8:55 TOI

OHL

Windsor lost to London 5-4

Ben Johnson LW: Goal, Assist, E

Past 3 Games: 5-1-6, +4

Kitchener defeated Sarnia 4-1

Ben Thomson LW: E

Kingston defeated Ottawa 7-4

Ryan Kujawinski C: E

WHL

Swift Current defeated Regina 6-1

Graham Black C: +1, 2 PIM (Cross Checking)

Kelowna defeated Portland 6-2

Damon Severson D: 2 Assists, +2, 2 PIM (Slashing)

Myles Bell LW: 2 Goals (1 PP), +1* 2nd Star

NCAA preseason begins this weekend.

Saturday 10/5
QMJHL
Gatineau defeated Quebec 3-1
Anthony Brodeur G: DNP

OHL
Kitchener lost to Owen Sound 4-2
Ben Thomson LW: E, 5 PIM (Check to Head, Game Misconduct)

WHL
Swift Current defeated Prince Albert 5-2
Graham Black C: Goal, +1, 2 PIM (Hooking)

Black has at least a point in 5 of his 6 games so far.

Kelowna defeated Portland 6-3
Damon Severson D: Goal, Assist (PP), +2
Myles Bell LW: Goal, E, 17 PIM (Delay of Game, Fighting, Game Misconduct)

Severson's last 3 games: 2 goals, 3 assists, +5, 4 PIM. Bell has scored in 3 of his 4 games.

NCAA Preseason
Ohio State defeated Toronto 9-1
Curtis Gedig D: DNP

Gedig was named Captain back in August.

Miami defeated Windsor 8-2
Blake Coleman C: DNP

Michigan Tech defeated Laurentian 3-2
Blake Pietila LW: E, 3 Shots

Sunday 10/6
QMJHL
Gatineau defeated Sherbrooke 5-3
Anthony Brodeur G: 21 Saves on 24 Shots, Gave up Penalty Shot
Season: 3-1-0, 2.77 GAA, .864 SV%

OHL
Windsor defeated Niagara 7-4
Ben Johnson LW: -1
Season: 5 GP, 5-1-6, +3, 0 PIM

Kingston defeated Sault Ste. Marie 3-2
Ryan Kujawinski C: 2 Assists (1 PP), +1, 2 PIM (High Sticking)
Season: 6 GP, 4-2-6, +3, 10 PIM

NCAA Preseason
North Dakota defeated Manitoba 3-0
Derek Rodwell RW: DNP

Boston College defeated St. Francis 8-2
Steven Santini D: Assist, +3, 1 Shot, 4 PIM (Roughing x2)