2013-14 Prospect Thread

thefiestygoat

Thanks Fiesty! Severson is going to be very good. Can't wait for him to break in as a pro. Can an NHL team "call up " a junior player in an emergency? 

Your welcome! Triumph or someone who understands the ins and outs of the CBA may be able to answer your question better, but I'm pretty sure a team can call a player up from junior. I think the 9 game rule before the contract can't slide for another year applies still. I'm not sure if they could do a normal call up or if it would have to be under an "emergency."

It's a shame Severson can't play in the AHL this year. Thru 14 games, 10 of his 12 assists are primary and 15 of his 17 points are primary. He's been effective on Kelowna's power play with 2 goals and 6 assists. I'm really excited about his future.

Thursday 11/7
OHL
Windsor defeated Plymouth 6-5
Ben Johnson LW: -1
Season: 15 GP 8-6-14, +3, 4 PIM

EDIT: https://twitter.com/winstarparker/status/398648049515237376

"#OHL Windsor #Spitfires LW Ben Johnson left tonight's game with a tweaked knee. Will be evaluate again Friday to see if he can go Saturday."

Kitchener lost to Peterborough 7-0
Ben Thomson LW: DNP (Left Leg Injury)
Season: 11 GP 2-3-5, -5, 34 PIM

Edited by thefiestygoat

Friday 11/8
QMJHL
Gatineau lost to Acadie-Bathurst 3-1
Anthony Brodeur G: DNP

OHL
Kitchener lost to Kingston 6-5 (SO)
Ben Thomson LW: DNP (Left Leg Injury)
Ryan Kujawinski C: Assist, E, 4 PIM (Tripping, Hooking), Stopped in SO

WHL
Swift Current defeated Brandon 6-3
Graham Black C: Goal (PP), Assist, +1

Black's last 6 games: 5 goals and 7 assists.

Kelowna defeated Prince George 5-2
Damon Severson D: Assist, +1, 2 PIM (Roughing)
Myles Bell LW: E

Severson's 4 game point streak: 1 goal and 7 assists.

NCAA
Ohio State defeated Niagara 4-1
Curtis Gedig D: +1

Miami defeated St. Cloud State 2-0
Blake Coleman C: E, 2 Shots, 4 PIM (Hooking, Holding the Stick), 7/11 Faceoffs

Coleman's 5 game point streak is snapped.

Michigan Tech defeated Michigan State 3-0
Blake Pietila LW: 2 Assists, +2, 3 Shots, 8/10 Faceoffs

Boston College defeated Boston University 5-1
Steve Santini D: E, 1 Shot

Harvard lost to St. Lawrence 3-1
Alex Kerfoot C: E, 1/4 Faceoffs* Left game with left arm injury.

Kerfoot had shoulder surgery last year and only appeared in 20 games (all competitions).

----------

According to The Windsor Star, LW Ben Johnson's "tweaked knee" is a minor injury and he could be back in the line up on Thursday.

Saturday 11/9
QMJHL
Gatineau defeated Charlottetown 4-3 (OT)
Anthony Brodeur G: 32 Saves on 35 Shots

-- Brodeur has 75 saves on 81 shots in his past 2 games.

OHL
Windsor defeated Plymouth 4-3 (SO)
Ben Johnson LW: DNP (Knee Injury)

WHL
Swift Current defeated Prince Albert 6-2
Graham Black C: 2 Goals (1 PP), E, 2 PIM (Hooking)* 2nd Star

-- Black's 7 game point streak: 7 goals and 7 assists.

-- Finnish 17 year old D Julius Honka (2014 draft eligible) is tearing up the WHL as a rookie for Swift Current: 22 GP 7-17-24, +6, 22 PIM

Kelowna defeated Edmonton 2-0
Damon Severson D: E, 4 PIM (Interference, Roughing)
Myles Bell LW: Assist (PP), E

-- Severson's 4 game point streak is snapped.

NCAA
Ohio State defeated Niagara 6-1
Curtis Gedig D: 2 Assists (1 PP), +2, 3 Shots, 2 PIM (Roughing), 1 Block

North Dakota lost to Nebraska Omaha 4-2
Derek Rodwell RW: E, 4 Shots, 2 PIM (Roughing), (Season debut for the senior)

Miami lost to St. Cloud State 2-1
Blake Coleman C: E, 4 Shots, 2 PIM (Cross Checking), 1 Block, 8/20 Faceoffs

Michigan Tech defeated Michigan State 3-2 (OT)
Blake Pietila LW: 2 Assists (1 PP), +1, 2 Shots, 2 PIM (Interference), 4/7 Faceoffs

-- Pietila's last 4 games: 1 goal and 4 assists.

Harvard lost to Clarkson 2-1
Alex Kerfoot C: DNP (Left Arm Injury)

Edited by thefiestygoat

Hey. Black looks to be good at forward he is doing a lot. Could he be a good forward for us if he makes it to the NHL level? He looks spectacular. Thanks fiesty!

It's always tough to say with juniors but at his age and in his 3rd full year he really needs to put up crazy points just to be considered halfway viable.

Sunday 11/10
QMJHL
Gatineau defeated Moncton 5-4
Season: 8 GP 5-2-0, 3.09 GAA, .887 SV%

OHL
Windsor lost to London 3-1

Kitchener defeated Ottawa 4-3 (SO)
Ben Thomson LW: DNP (Right Ankle Injury)

Kingston lost to Saginaw 9-4
Ryan Kujawinski C: Goal (PP), -3
Season: 14 GP 6-4-10, -2, 16 PIM

-- Kujawinski has points in back to back games after 5 scoreless games.

NCAA
North Dakota defeated Nebraska Omaha 3-2
Derek Rodwell RW: Goal, +1, 2 PIM (Tripping), 3 Shots
Season: 2 GP 1-0-1, +1, 4 PIM, 7 Shots

Boston College defeated Army 11-0
Steve Santini D: Assist, +2, 15 PIM (Contact to Head, Game Disqualification), 2 Shots
Season: 9 GP 1-3-4, +11, 21 PIM, 12 Shots

-- Santini will miss Thursday at UMass.

Updated Prospect Stats

Monday 11/11
WHL
Swift Current defeated Moose Jaw 7-1
Graham Black C: 2 Assists (Both PP), E
Season: 22 GP 12-16-28, +7, 22 PIM

-- Black's 8 game point streak: 7 goals and 9 assists.

Injury Update

The Harvard Crimson

Saturday was Harvard’s first full game without first-line center Alexander Kerfoot, who dislocated his shoulder in Friday’s 3-1 loss to St. Lawrence. The freshman appeared to be in good spirits watching from the stands in a sling, but Donato could not provide a timetable for his return.

No idea if it's the same shoulder he had surgery on last year.

Sunday 11/10

QMJHL

Gatineau defeated Moncton 5-4

Season: 8 GP 5-2-0, 3.09 GAA, .887 SV%

Gatineau's #1 goalie, Robert Steeves, has a save% of only .876 over his last six starts.  Maybe Anthony gets a shot at more playing time soon...he's made just two starts since 10/18, and no relief appearances.   

Gatineau's #1 goalie, Robert Steeves, has a save% of only .876 over his last six starts.  Maybe Anthony gets a shot at more playing time soon...he's made just two starts since 10/18, and no relief appearances.   

Imagine the kind of scoring that goes on in a league like the Q for a goalie to have a 3.09 GAA and be 5-2-0.....

Imagine the kind of scoring that goes on in a league like the Q for a goalie to have a 3.09 GAA and be 5-2-0.....

Save%s tend to be lower and GAAs higher in the Q.  Only eight goalies with GAAs under 3.00 of the 19 Q goalies that qualify for the leaderboard (min 546 minutes played at this point in their season), and not too many save%s over .900 (just seven goalies).  Anthony's numbers are actually pretty decent, compared to his peers. 

Anthony played where i live last Saturday, saw the team bus at the hotel but didnt bother going to the game cause Steeves is their clear #1 goalie + he's from Moncton so he was playing that game for sure. I hope i'll have a chance at some point to catch a game with Brodeur around here either in Moncton, St-John or Bathurst.

Save%s tend to be lower and GAAs higher in the Q.  Only eight goalies with GAAs under 3.00 of the 19 Q goalies that qualify for the leaderboard (min 546 minutes played at this point in their season), and not too many save%s over .900 (just seven goalies).  Anthony's numbers are actually pretty decent, compared to his peers. 

Oh I know. It still floors me every time I see goalie stats from there though. It's like comparing a lacrosse goalie's stats to a hockey goalie's stats.

Wednesday 11/13
KHL
Dinamo Minsk lost to Metallurg Magnitogorsk 3-0
Artur Gavrus C: E, 1/1 Faceoff, 8:47 TOI
Season: 13 GP 1-2-3, +2, 4 PIM, 7.14 SH%, 1.08 SH/GP, 45.16 FO%, 13:01 TOI/GP

-- 1st game back from right knee injury sustained in pregame warm ups on 10/9 (missed 11 games). Looks like he played on the wing and was on the 4th line. I assume this was to ease him back into action and hopefully he works his way back into the top 6.

OHL
Kingston lost to Belleville 6-3 (Kingston outshot Belleville 60-50!)
Ryan Kujawinski C: -2
Season: 15 GP 6-4-10, -4, 16 PIM

-- Kujawinski's last 8 games: 1 goal, 1 assist, -9.

WHL
Swift Current defeated Kootenay 3-0
Graham Black C: Goal (SH), +2* 1st Star
Season: 23 GP 13-16-29, +9, 22 PIM

-- Black's 9 game point streak: 8 goals and 9 assists.

The Super Series is coming up and it features 2 games between each CHL league vs. some of Russia's best young players. Here is the schedule (November 18-28). Here are the rosters for the QMJHL, OHL, WHL, and Russia. It will be broadcasted online and I'm pretty sure it has been free in past years.

Devils prospect D Damon Severson is scheduled to play for the WHL in both of their games. He's the lone Devils prospect but their are a handful of 2014 and 2015 draft eligible prospects that will be showcased.

Oh I know. It still floors me every time I see goalie stats from there though. It's like comparing a lacrosse goalie's stats to a hockey goalie's stats.

No doubt...I think a lot of former Q offensive dynamos probably get shell-shocked when they move on to the pros.  I remember Brodeur once saying that you really don't want to be in that league much longer than you have to...that there's a lot you can get away with down there that you never will as a pro, and that it's easy to get into very bad habits.

I'm guessing there's no age limit on participating? Nice to see Severson is an all star in the league.  Is Black having success due to him being talented but overage. 

Thanks Fiesty for info on watching it.

Yeah thanks feisty for all of this. I admit I don't follow the junior leagues much... Can you give some insight jnto which guys have a legit shot at the nhl? I know severson looks promising but do guys like black Johnson and kujawinski have decent odds of being pros or are they more outside chances/ 4th liners as best?

Edited by dmann422

OHL

Kingston lost to Belleville 6-3 (Kingston outshot Belleville 60-50!)

Ryan Kujawinski C: -2

Season: 15 GP 6-4-10, -4, 16 PIM

-- Kujawinski's last 8 games: 1 goal, 1 assist, -9.

Looks like Kujawinski's a little streaky then. First 7 games 5g 3a 8p +5 and then this last stretch. Means to me that he's got the talent but needs to work on consistency. Of course I'm going based purely off the numbers you're giving us because I haven't seen any of his actual play.

I'm guessing there's no age limit on participating? Nice to see Severson is an all star in the league.  Is Black having success due to him being talented but overage. 

Thanks Fiesty for info on watching it.

I could be wrong but I'm fairly certain there is no age limit. However, since it features the best pro prospects in junior, I doubt they're are any overagers. Seems like the best of the bunch that are drafted already + some of the top prospects for the next 2 drafts.

Looks like Kujawinski's a little streaky then. First 7 games 5g 3a 8p +5 and then this last stretch. Means to me that he's got the talent but needs to work on consistency. Of course I'm going based purely off the numbers you're giving us because I haven't seen any of his actual play.

In fairness to him he did have an injury during this 8 game slump but as you mentioned he does seem streaky. Hockey Prospect backs that up in their 2013 Draft Black Book, mentioning that consistency was his biggest issue and a big reason he fell in the draft rankings over the course of last season. This is his 18 year old season so he still has another season in juniors after this year. Maybe he can have a Reid Boucher-esque breakout next year.

Yeah thanks feisty for all of this. I admit I don't follow the junior leagues much... Can you give some insight jnto which guys have a legit shot at the nhl? I know severson looks promising but do guys like black Johnson and kujawinski have decent odds of being pros or are they more outside chances/ 4th liners as best?

Short answer, legit NHL potential in my opinion (no particular order): Johnson, Kujawinski, Black, Severson, Bell, Gedig, Coleman, Pietila, Kerfoot, Santini, Gavrus, and Wood. I expanded with some quick thoughts below. I kind of rambled a bit but I was trying to touch on all the guys and give out the best case scenarios.

Out of this year's prospect pool, the only players I've actually seen multiple times on tv are Severson, Bell, Faust, Gedig, Rodwell, Coleman, Pietila, and Santini. The other guys I really only know from what I've read about them and from the boxscores. By no means am I an expert but if I had to give my opinion I'd probably shake it out like this:

CHL Prospects

LW Ben Johnson - Speed is his best asset, best case scenario is NHL 3rd/4th liner who can be a solid PK'er. NHL prospect but has a lot of holes in his game especially offensively.

LW Ben Thomson - May not get an ELC but I can see him signing with Albany after this year. Probably only way he can make the NHL one day is as an enforcer. Not much of a NHL prospect though.

C Ryan Kujawinski - Tons of offensive talent but lacks consistency. Best case scenario is he puts it all together and makes the NHL as a top 6 player one day. Devils did well to take him in the 3rd round last year since he came into his draft year as a potential 1st rounder.

C Graham Black - Putting up a ton of points as an overager as he should but it's important to note that his battle with Graves' Disease is a big reason he is a late bloomer. Has a lot more skill/potential than the average overager. Speed is his best asset and his best case scenario seems to be NHL 2nd/3rd liner who can play on special teams. I look forward to him playing in Albany next year to better gauge his value.

D Damon Severson - I've seen him play a few times and think he may be the best D prospect in the system. Smooth skater, comfortable handling the puck, can contribute offensively, and seems to have improved his D game every year in the WHL. If not for the age requirement, I think he could do well in the AHL this year. Best case scenario is him being a top D for the Devils. Should contribute even if he doesn't reach that potential.

LW Myles Bell - Passed over in 2011 and 2012 in large part due to his tragic auto accident, has done well to transition from D to F with a heavy shot. Read a lot of reports that suggest his skating isn't all that great. Seems to be one of those guys who will need to rely on his heavy shot to carry him to the NHL. Legit NHL prospect but I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up being a minor league guy for most of his career. His shot could be valuable on the PP though.

G Anthony Broduer - Great story but a nepotism pick even in the 7th round. I don't think he's a NHL prospect but hey, goalies can be wildcards and he has the legendary bloodlines so maybe it all works out for him. His brother Jeremy (2015 draft eligible) looks like he may end up being a more legit prospect.

NCAA Prospects

D Joe Faust - Not a NHL prospect in my opinion. His offensive game never developed after being drafted and from watching a few games of his in his first 3 seasons at Wisconsin, he was always on the 3rd pair and never saw special teams action for the most part. I can't see the Devils signing him to an ELC or Albany giving him a contract for 2014-15.

D Curtis Gedig - Overlooked by the quality D prospects the Devils have but I think he's a legit NHL prospect. Has size, loves to play physical, willing to block shots, and was named captain for Ohio State so he seems to be a good character guy. I've seen him play a few times on tv and he was used in all situations. Best case scenario would probably be a 2nd pair D but could still be valuable on the 3rd pair. Seems to do a lot of things well but nothing great.

RW Derek Rodwell - Like Faust, congrats to him on being able to play at the NCAA level - not many players get to that level, but not a NHL prospect. Started his senior year as a healthy scratch.

C Blake Coleman - One of my favorite prospects to watch. Drafted out of the USHL at age 19, originally from Texas. Almost get a football player vibe out of him when I've seen him play. Loves to play physical, never backs down, has mainly spent his career at Miami playing on the 3rd line but gets PP time. Haven't seen him yet this year but his production is way up. I'm intrigued by him and think a best case scenario is him playing a 3rd/4th line role.

LW Blake Pietila - Defensively sound winger with a scoring touch. Reads the play well, has won Gold for the US at the U17, U18, and U20 levels. Always competes hard and I think his best case scenario is 3rd line winger who is excellent on the PK.

C Alex Kerfoot - Has offensive talent and started his 19 year old freshman season at Harvard on the 1st line. Some scouts had concerns over his consistency and compete level. A wildcard prospect but certainly could have NHL upside. Going to be a bit of a project and will be interesting to see how he develops at Harvard.

D Steve Santini - I'm a big fan of Santini. Not much offensive upside but can keep the play alive in the offensive end and is really sound defensively. Plays physical and with confidence. Best case scenario is top pairing D. Even if he doesn't reach that potential, I think he will be a solid contributer for the Devils in a few years.

KHL Prospect

C Artur Gavrus - NHL prospect but a complete wildcard. Read he has a good shot and vision so he has offensive talent. May not be able to contribute defensively but could be nice on the PP. May not be suited for the North American game as he suffered 2 concussions in his rookie OHL year and is said to put himself in bad positions to get hit. Another guy the Devils were able to grab late in the draft even though his true talent is better than that. Just got over a minor knee injury in the KHL so health seems to be a concern with him still.

USHS Prospect

LW Miles Wood - Really don't know much about him. His father Randy had a long NHL career and Miles is set to attend Brown after another year at Noble & Greenough School (Mark Fayne's HS). Taken in the 4th round last year so the Devils definitely see something they like in him.

Thursday 11/14
OHL
Windsor defeated Mississauga 6-0

-- Johnson is questionable for the weekend.

Kitchener lost to Sarnia 5-0
Ben Thomson LW: DNP (Right Ankle Injury)

NCAA
Boston College Massachusetts
Steve Santini D: DNP (1 Game Suspension)
Season: 9 GP 1-3-4, +11, 21 PIM, 8.33 SH%, 1.33 SH/GP