2013-14 Prospect Thread

thefiestygoat

Wow thanks so much for the breakdown feisty. As expected it seems we're strong on d even when it comes to the guys who are a few years away.

Kujawinski and black seem like interesting guys. If one of them can pull a henrique and turn out as a 2nd liner it sure would be nice.

Santini especially looks nice because pretty much all of our other quality d prospects he's seems like a complete stopper as opposed to an offensive d.

Either way you have to image we'd be in a place to swap some young d for young forwards. If santini severson and Merrill work out they can't all play top 4 minutes.

I love Graham Black's skillset - speed, speed, and more speed - but an NHL 2nd liner?  I think that's really, really unlikely.  Now because of his illness or other reasons he might be a late bloomer, but I could very easily see him go to the AHL and score 15 points in 70 games and that's the end of any hopes of him being a successful Devil.  Guys his age who are NHL-capable are supposed to be in the AHL already.

Edited by Triumph

I love Graham Black's skillset - speed, speed, and more speed - but an NHL 2nd liner? I think that's really, really unlikely. Now because of his illness or other reasons he might be a late bloomer, but I could very easily see him go to the AHL and score 15 points in 70 games and that's the end of any hopes of him being a successful Devil. Guys his age who are NHL-capable are supposed to be in the AHL already.

Yeah I realize it's just wishful thinking considering his age and league. At this point the devils have to hope to get lucky and hit on someone turning into a top 6 guy.

Program Note: If you get CBS Sports Network, they have Wisconsin (Faust) at Miami (Coleman) going on right now (started at 6:30).

Wow thanks so much for the breakdown feisty. As expected it seems we're strong on d even when it comes to the guys who are a few years away.

Kujawinski and black seem like interesting guys. If one of them can pull a henrique and turn out as a 2nd liner it sure would be nice.

Santini especially looks nice because pretty much all of our other quality d prospects he's seems like a complete stopper as opposed to an offensive d.

Either way you have to image we'd be in a place to swap some young d for young forwards. If santini severson and Merrill work out they can't all play top 4 minutes.

Your welcome! It will be really interesting to see if Lou moves one of Santini/Severson/Merrill at some point for forward help like you mentioned. I'm excited about it either way since the Devils either can get some help up front or could potentially have a D corps that features Larsson with those 3 guys. Plus none of them will be expensive for quite some time so Lou could always address adding some forwards via free agency.

Of course with prospects, some guys don't pan out or live up to the hype but I feel pretty good about the Devils getting some good production out of that group even if one or two don't reach their potential. Plus I like the next tier of D guys like Gedig, Helgeson, Scarlett, and McPherson. One or two of those guys should have a chance to contend in a lesser role for the Devils one day.

I love Graham Black's skillset - speed, speed, and more speed - but an NHL 2nd liner?  I think that's really, really unlikely.  Now because of his illness or other reasons he might be a late bloomer, but I could very easily see him go to the AHL and score 15 points in 70 games and that's the end of any hopes of him being a successful Devil.  Guys his age who are NHL-capable are supposed to be in the AHL already.

I agree NHL 2nd liner is really unlikely for Black and I don't expect it at all. I do think that on a team like the Devils that moves guys in the top 9 around, he could be that - in a best case, everything goes perfect for him scenario. I was originally going to write him in as a 3rd line guy who could contribute on special teams but when I went back and read his 2012 Hockey Prospect Black Book profile, it left me a bit more optimistic about his offensive potential.

Besides his speed they note his "very quick release" and ability to "sneak into the slot for quick goals" as positive attributes. They say he has "good hands in tight" but his lack of size hurts him from being very effective. They seemed a bit down on his defense so I wonder how that has progressed for him in the WHL. I haven't seen him play so everything I know about him is second hand.

While his numbers are going to be inflated this year, I'd speculate that his disease played a big factor in him going back to the WHL instead of the AHL. He most recently missed some time last January for treatment and staying at a playing weight is going to be an on going challenge for him.

Your welcome! It will be really interesting to see if Lou moves one of Santini/Severson/Merrill at some point for forward help like you mentioned. I'm excited about it either way since the Devils either can get some help up front or could potentially have a D corps that features Larsson with those 3 guys. Plus none of them will be expensive for quite some time so Lou could always address adding some forwards via free agency.

Of course with prospects, some guys don't pan out or live up to the hype but I feel pretty good about the Devils getting some good production out of that group even if one or two don't reach their potential. Plus I like the next tier of D guys like Gedig, Helgeson, Scarlett, and McPherson. One or two of those guys should have a chance to contend in a lesser role for the Devils one day.

yeah it's a tough call because quality defensemen are a lot harder to find via free agency or trade that wingers. But clearly if all of our guys pan out we'd have a bit of a logjam.

The worst case scenario is what happened with urbom where you have a decent prospect but haven't raised his value enough to warrant moving him.

Friday 11/15
KHL
Dinamo Minsk lost to Traktor Chelyabinsk 3-0    
Artur Gavrus C: -1, 4/8 Faceoffs, 12:00 TOI

QMJHL
Gatineau defeated Rouyn-Noranda 3-1
Anthony Brodeur G: 21 Saves on 22 Shots, Assist (EN/SH)* 3rd Star

OHL
Kitchener defeated Owen Sound 2-1 (SO)
Ben Thomson LW: DNP (Right Ankle Injury)

Kingston lost to London 4-2
Ryan Kujawinski C: Assist (PP), -2

WHL
Swift Current lost to Calgary 3-2 (SO)
Graham Black C: Goal (PP), -1, Stopped in SO* 1st Star

-- Black's last 10 games: 9 goals and 9 assists.

NCAA
Ohio State defeated Canisius 3-0
Curtis Gedig D: +1, 2 PIM (Tripping), 2 Shots, 1 Block

Wisconsin lost to Miami 2-0
Joe Faust D: E, 2 Shots, 2 Blocks
Blake Coleman C: Assist, +1, 2 PIM (Interference), 5 Shots, 5/12 Faceoffs

North Dakota defeated Minnesota Duluth 4-2
Derek Rodwell RW: -1, 3 Shots

Michigan Tech lost to Lake Superior State 5-3
Blake Pietila LW: Assist (PP), -2, 3 Shots, 12/17 Faceoffs

-- Pietila's last 5 games: 1 goal and 5 assists.

Boston College tied Massachusetts 2-2
Steve Santini D: -1, 15 PIM (Unsportsmanlike, Disqualification), 1 Shot

-- This was his 1st game back after a 1 game suspension for a DQ vs. Army last week. I think he gets a 2 game ban now. Here's a gif of the hit. Grainy but reports from the game suggest he didn't deserve it.

Harvard lost to Quinnipiac 3-2
Alex Kerfoot C: DNP (Dislocated Left Shoulder)

Edited by thefiestygoat

Oh brodeur had a point looks like he has his father in him! :P

Brodeur:  .894 save% (pretty good for the Q), 2.83 GAA

Steeves:  .896 save%, 2.77 GAA

The gap in their numbers was much wider a few weeks ago.  Would love to see Anthony get a few starts in a row soon.  It's a small sample, but at least he's not looking outclassed in his first test.

Saturday 11/16
QMJHL
Gatineau defeated Saint John 8-4
Anthony Brodeur G: DNP

OHL
Windsor defeated Peterborough 5-4
Ben Johnson LW: DNP (Knee Injury)

WHL
Swift Current lost to Edmonton 4-2
Graham Black C: Goal, Assist, +1

-- Black's last 11 games: 10 goals and 10 assists.

Kelowna defeated Medicine Hat 4-3
Damon Severson D: E
Myles Bell RW: Goal, 2 Assists, +2

NCAA
Ohio State defeated Canisius 3-1
Curtis Gedig D: Assist, +2, 2 PIM (Interference), 3 Shots, 2 Blocks

Wisconsin defeated Miami 3-2
Joe Faust D: +1
Blake Coleman C: Goal (PP), E, 2 PIM (Tripping), 3 Shots, 6/14 Faceoffs, 1 Block

-- Coleman had 23 pts in 39 games freshman year, 19 pts in 40 games sophomore year, has 12 pts in 12 games this year.

North Dakota lost to Minnesota Duluth 6-3
Derek Rodwell RW: E, 4 PIM (Interference, Roughing), 1 Shot

Michigan Tech defeated Lake Superior State 2-1
Blake Pietila LW: +1, 5 Shots, 7/9 Faceoffs

Harvard defeated Princeton 5-3
Alex Kerfoot C: DNP (Dislocated Left Shoulder)

Sunday 11/17
KHL
Dinamo Minsk lost to Neftekhimik Nizhnekamsk 5-2
Artur Gavrus F: E, 1 Shot, 5:20 TOI
Season: 15 GP 1-2-3, +1, 4 PIM, 6.67 SH%, 1.00 SH/GP, 45.45 FO%, 12:26 TOI/GP

-- Looks like they are easing him back into things on the 4th line wing.

OHL
Windsor defeated Oshawa 4-1
Ben Johnson LW: DNP (Knee Injury)
Season: 15 GP 8-6-14, +3, 4 PIM

Kitchener defeated Sault Ste. Marie 6-3
Ben Thomson LW: DNP (Right Ankle Injury)
Season: 11 GP 2-3-5, -5, 34 PIM

Kingston defeated Ottawa 8-0
Ryan Kujawinski C: 2 Goals, Assist, +3* 2nd Star
Season: 17 GP 8-6-14, -3, 16 PIM

-- Kujawinski's last 5 games: 3 goals and 3 assists.
-- 13 of Kujawinsiki's 14 points are primary.

Edited by thefiestygoat

Tuesday 11/19
KHL
Dinamo Minsk lost to Salavat Yulaev 5-2
Artur Gavrus F: E, 2 Shots, 6:49 TOI
Season: 16 GP 1-2-3, +1, 4 PIM, 5.88 SH%, 1.06 SH/GP, 45.45 FO%, 12:05 TOI/GP

-- 4th game in a row since Gavrus returned from injury that he's played wing on the 4th line. Hopefully he gets his top 6 role back soon.

-- Dinamo Minsk is last in the Western Conference by 7 points, and the 2nd worst team in the KHL.

OHL
Kitchener lost to Erie 9-6
Ben Thomson LW: Goal (PP), E
Season: 12 GP 3-3-6, -5, 34 PIM

WHL
Swift Current lost to Brandon 3-2 (SO)
Graham Black C: Assist, +1
Season: 26 GP 15-18-33, +10, 22 PIM

-- Black's 12 game scoring streak: 10 goals and 11 assists.

Kelowna defeated Seattle 4-3 (SO)
Damon Severson D: Goal (PP), E, Scored in SO
Season: 18 GP 6-13-19, +4, 20 PIM

-- 17 of his 19 points are primary.

Myles Bell RW: E, Stopped in SO
Season: 18 GP 9-8-17, +9, 23 PIM

Edited by thefiestygoat

Wednesday 11/20
WHL
Swift Current lost to Prince Albert 1-0
Graham Black C: -1
Season: 27 GP 15-18-33, +9, 22 PIM

-- Black's 12 game scoring streak comes to an end.

Kelowna lost to Victoria 4-1
Damon Severson D: +1, 2 PIM (Holding)
Season: 19 GP 6-13-19, +5, 22 PIM

Myles Bell RW: E
Season: 19 GP 9-8-17, +9, 23 PIM

NCAA
Boston College defeated Harvard 5-1
Steve Santini D: DNP (Suspended Game 1/2)
Season: 10 GP 1-3-4, +10, 36 PIM, 7.69 SH%, 1.30 SH/GP

Alex Kerfoot F: -1, 1 Shot, 0/2 Faceoffs
Season: 6 GP 1-1-2, +1, 0 PIM, 11.11 SH%, 1.50 SH/GP, 42.27 FO%

-- First game back after missing 3 with a dislocated left shoulder.

I know it's a small sample size, but 1-3-4 over 10 games seems pretty good for a guy who isn't expected to bring much offense. Or is that normal for BC games since they often score a lot of goals in a game?

I think that's normal for BC.  I wouldn't read much into his offensive numbers this year.

Ben Thomson was traded to the North Bay Battalion on Friday for forward Brandon Robinson.

Thomson goes from the last place team in the Western Conference to the 6th place team in the Eastern Conference. Good for him. Thomson had been with Kitchener since 2009-10 and in 260 games had 41 goals, 70 assists, 111 points, a +8 rating, and 426 PIM. In 44 playoff games he had 6 goals, 9 assists, 15 points, a -7 rating, and 60 PIM.

LW Brandon Robinson is a 18 year old draft eligible with good size 6'3, 201 but has disappointed since a decent 16 year old rookie season in Brampton and moves onto his 3rd OHL team. Projected late round pick for this years draft. Here is Buzzing the Net's story on this trade.

Friday 11/22
KHL
Dinamo Minsk lost to Salavat Yulayev Ufa 4-1
Artur Gavrus F: -1, 3 Shots, 9:45 TOI

QMJHL
Gatineau lost to Rimouski 6-3
Anthony Brodeur G: 19 Saves on 23 Shots in 51:18 *Replaced Steeves (6 Saves on 8 Shots)

OHL
Windsor defeated Guelph 4-2
Ben Johnson LW: Goal, E, 2 PIM (High Sticking)

Kingston lost to Oshawa 5-2
Ryan Kujawinski C: Assist, -3

-- Kujawinski has 3 goals and 4 assists in his past 6 games.

WHL
Kelowna defeated Tri-City 4-1
Damon Severson D: Assist, +1
Myles Bell RW: E

-- Bell has no points in 3 games, his longest streak of the year.

NCAA
North Dakota lost to Boston University 3-1
Derek Rodwell RW: DNP (Injured)

Miami lost to Nebraska Omaha 6-3
Blake Coleman C: -1, 3 Shots, 11/24 Faceoffs, 2 Blocks

Michigan Tech lost to Alaska Anchorage 3-1
Blake Pietila LW: -1, 4 Shots, 5/7 Faceoffs

Saturday 11/23
OHL
Windsor lost to London 4-0
Ben Johnson LW: -1

-- Johnson has just 1 goal in his past 4 games after a 4 game scoring streak where he had 3 goals and 5 assists.

North Bay defeated Barrie 2-1 (SO)
Ben Thomson LW: +1

WHL
Swift Current defeated Moose Jaw 5-4 (OT)
Graham Black C: 3 Assists (1 PP), +2, 5 PIM (Fighting)

NCAA
North Dakota tied Boston University 3-3
Derek Rodwell RW: DNP (Injured)

Miami lost to Nebraska Omaha 3-1
Blake Coleman C: -1, 1 Shot, 10/22 Faceoffs

Michigan Tech tied Alaska Anchorage 2-2
Blake Pietila LW: E, 3 Shots, 6/11 Faceoffs

-- Pietila is pointless in his last 3 games despite 12 shots on goal.

Boston College lost to Maine 5-1
Steve Santini D: DNP (Suspended Game 2/2)

Sunday 11/24
KHL
Dinamo Minsk defeated Metallurg Magnitogorsk 3-1
Artur Gavrus F: -1, 1 Shot, 12:52 TOI
Season: 18 GP 1-2-3, -1, 4 PIM, 4.8 SH%, 1.2 SH/GP, 45.5 FO%, 12:00 TOI/GP

QMJHL
Gatineau defeated Victoriaville 3-2 (SO)
Anthony Brodeur G: DNP
Season: 10 GP 6-3-0, 3.01 GAA, .888 SV%

OHL
Windsor lost to Plymouth 2-1
Ben Johnson LW: -1
Season: 18 GP 9-6-15, +1, 6 PIM

-- His rough November continues with just 1 goal in his last 5 games.

Kingston defeated Mississauga 7-5
Ryan Kujawinski C: Goal, Assist (PP), +1
Season: 19 GP 9-8-17, -5, 16 PIM

-- Kujawinski's last 7 games: 4 goals and 5 assists.

Tuesday 11/26
KHL
Dinamo Minsk defeated Neftekhimik Nizhnekamsk 4-3
Artur Gavrus F: -1, 3 Shots, 10:59 TOI
Season: 19 GP 1-2-3, -2, 4 PIM, 4.2 SH%, 1.3 SH/GP, 45.5 FO%, 11:57 TOI/GP

-- Looks like he hasn't played center since returning from injury but his ice time has increased the last couple of games.

NCAA
Harvard defeated New Hampshire 6-3
Alex Kerfoot C: Goal, +3, 2 Shots, 6/18 Faceoffs
Season: 7 GP 2-1-3, +4, 0 PIM, 11 Shots

Wednesday 11/27
OHL
Windsor lost to Saginaw 6-2
Ben Johnson LW: E
Season: 19 GP 9-6-15, +1, 6 PIM

-- Just a goal in his past 6 games.

Super Series
WHL lost to Russia 3-2 (WHL outshot Russia 44-25)
Damon Severson D: -2

Severson was mainly on a pair with Derrick Pouliot (PIT) and played on both the PP and PK. As usual Severson moved the puck well with quick outlet passes to start the rush up the ice and was confident in making cross ice passes towards the net in the offensive zone. Doesn't seem to have a great shot but will get it towards the net when needed. Held the zone well which helped WHL keep possession except in one instance were the Russians quickly recovered the puck after he held it in and it resulted in a goal on the rush, goal wasn't his fault though. A few minutes later allowed his man to slip him from behind the goal line to the crease and was unable to help clear the crease of bodies or the puck which helped result in the 2nd Russian goal. In fairness to him on that play, it was Sam Reinhart that completely lost his man who ended up getting multiple chances to bang the puck home. Not a great showing by him like I've seen in the past but it was an exhibition so there was unfamiliarity there with teammates and the opposition.

Russian goalie Ivan Nalimov (undrafted 19 yr old) is having a great series so far: 4 GP 3-1-0-0, 2.25 GAA, .945 SV%. He currently plays for SKA-1946 St. Petersburg in Russia's major junior league (MHL). Career numbers: 79 GP 35-24-13, 2.25 GAA, .924 SV% 5 SO

Ah, too bad it was a rough game for Severson. I still think he's going to be a great player. 20 pts in 20 games this season for the Rockets so far, which is very encouraging. I haven't heard much about his shot before, but hopefully he can improve in that area.

Looking back on the Hockey Prospect Blackbook 2012 they praised his shot so I could be wrong. From the limited 3 games I've seen of him the past 2 years I'd say it's decent but not one that I expect to end up into the back of the net a lot at the NHL level. I can see him being the type of D that racks up assist though since he does get it towards the net for forwards to either tip or get a rebound and is quick to set up teammates in the offensive zone with his passing. Based on my small sample size he sees the ice well and is very decisive with the puck to move it for a rush or stretch the opposition in the offensive zone. He seems to hold the zone well and will join in on a rush occasionally but it seems he's become a bit more conservative in doing so since he was drafted to help him maintain good positioning defensively. That was something Hockey Prospect scouts mentioned he had to work on and it looks like he has improved in that area. I liked his skating the past 2 times I saw him but from the camera angle for the game today it was real hard to get a sense of his skating though it seemed fine.