2013-14 Prospect Thread

thefiestygoat

Monday 12/16
World Junior Championship Division 1A
Belarus defeated Austria 4-1
Artur Gavrus C: 2 Assists, +3, 5 Shots, 9/16 Faceoffs
Tournament: 2 GP 2-3-5, 0 PIM, +5, 15 Shots, 63.89 FO%

WJC Camp Notes:
-- USA has 17 forwards in camp and is using 3 lines of 3 and 2 lines of 4 that rotate a player in and out. Matteau is on the 3rd line of 3 which seems like a good sign. He's with Andrew Copp ('13 4/104 WPG) and Hudson Fasching ('13 4/118 LAK). I would love to see those 3 stay together with their size.

-- Looks like USA coach Don Lucia didn't use any set pairs on D for practice.

-- Looks like Severson has been paired with Derrick Pouliot ('12 1/8 PIT) at the Canadian camp. They were a pair in the Super Series recently.

Monday 12/16

Belarus defeated Austria 4-1

Artur Gavrus C: 2 Assists, +3, 5 Shots, 9/16 Faceoffs

Tournament: 2 GP 2-3-5, 0 PIM, +5, 15 Shots, 63.89 FO%

WJC Camp Notes:

-- USA has 17 forwards in camp and is using 3 lines of 3 and 2 lines of 4 that rotate a player in and out. Matteau is on the 3rd line of 3 which seems like a good sign. He's with Andrew Copp ('13 4/104 WPG) and Hudson Fasching ('13 4/118 LAK). I would love to see those 3 stay together with their size.

-- Looks like USA coach Don Lucia didn't use any set pairs on D for practice.

-- Looks like Severson has been paired with Derrick Pouliot ('12 1/8 PIT) at the Canadian camp. They were a pair in the Super Series recently.

Listened to interview w/ Lucia today. They asked about difficulty in "cutting" guys and when it get's done.  He will initial cuts here, and go over w/ more than he needs.  Final cuts will be made in Malmo. Cutting guys is hard but,  not near as bad as in Canada because press is ever present.  They take this Jr .stuff very serious. He said you don't choose 12 "skilled " fw's but 2 lines that can split pp, and bottom 6 that can pk and play roles (checking) etc.

Hopefully Santini in the mix as well as Matteau.

Fiesty there was discussion today w/ Boomer (Gordan) and a college guy.  And they spoke of a few college  guys (undrafted) . One BC guy that plays on a line w/ Johnny Hockey (Goudreau) bidding for his services will be "lively". He mentioned a few more but I was driving. Apparently there's a few good prospects out there.

Listened to interview w/ Lucia today. They asked about difficulty in "cutting" guys and when it get's done.  He will initial cuts here, and go over w/ more than he needs.  Final cuts will be made in Malmo. Cutting guys is hard but,  not near as bad as in Canada because press is ever present.  They take this Jr .stuff very serious. He said you don't choose 12 "skilled " fw's but 2 lines that can split pp, and bottom 6 that can pk and play roles (checking) etc.

Hopefully Santini in the mix as well as Matteau.

I really like Lucia's mindset on taking versatile players. That seems like it should help Santini since he's a strong penalty killer. I read from the United States of Hockey blog that Matteau was on a PP unit in practice ahead of tonight's exhibition game. The blog lists Matteau as LW on a line with C Vince Hinostroza ('12 6/169 CHI) and RW Henrik Samuelsson ('12 1/27 PHX) and Santini on a pair with D Jaccob Slavin ('12 4/120 CAR).

Fiesty there was discussion today w/ Boomer (Gordan) and a college guy.  And they spoke of a few college  guys (undrafted) . One BC guy that plays on a line w/ Johnny Hockey (Goudreau) bidding for his services will be "lively". He mentioned a few more but I was driving. Apparently there's a few good prospects out there.

I think freshman Austin Cangelosi was the undrafted player they referenced to playing with Gaudreau but I think he still has one more year of draft eligibility left. I could be wrong though. Here's a link to the leaderboard for undrafted free agent NCAA players (excluding freshman).

Greg Carey will probably get signed by someone but seems like the typical, older kid in college puts up nice numbers due to age, not much upside. I think Austin Czarnik is a legit prospect who got passed over due to size. I would be happy if the Devils added someone like him since he could very well have more offensive tools than the other forward prospects they have. Kevin Goumas was at the 2012 Devils prospect camp and has 20 points in 18 games his senior year, maybe he's on the Devils radar. Guys that were at this year's prospect camp include Conor Sheary, Ryan Misiak, Cody Wydo, and Kyle Gibbons.

As triumph mentioned earlier in the thread, the Devils could have a bit of a logjam in Albany so they probably won't be too active signing guys but I wouldn't be surprised if they gave out one contract to someone like Czarnik or one of the prospect camp guys.

Tuesday 12/17
WHL
Swift Current defeated Kamloops 6-3
Graham Black C: 3 Assists (2 PP), +1* 2nd Star
Season: 36 GP 17-32-49, +15, 31 PIM

-- 14 assists in last 9 games.

Kelowna defeated Saskatoon 7-1
Myles Bell RW: Goal, Assist (PP), +1, 2 PIM (Holding)
Season: 31 GP 17-15-32, +13, 25 PIM

-- 5 game point streak: 7 goals, 3 assists.

WJC Exhibition
USA defeated Minnesota State 3-2 (OT)
Stefan Matteau LW: Assist (PP), E, 1 Shot, 1 Block
Steve Santini D: Assist, +1, 1 Block

WJC Camp Notes:
-- Severson was on a pair with D Josh Morrissey ('13 1/13 WPG) at Canada's practice today.

Wednesday 12/18
Belarus lost to Denmark 5-4
Artur Gavrus C: 2 Assists (Both PP), -2, 7 Shots, 14/24 Faceoffs
Tournament: 3 GP 2-5-7, 0 PIM, +3, 22 Shots, 61.67 FO%

WJC Camp Notes:
-- As expected both Matteau and Santini survived the first cuts for Team USA. There are 3 more cuts left to make, once again 2 forwards and a defenseman. They have 2 exhibition games, 12/20 vs. Sweden and 12/22 vs. Finland.

-- Severson continued to skate on a pair with Josh Morrissey ('13 1/13 WPG) in Canada's practice today.

Injury Update:

Blake Coleman tweeted out a picture of his shoulder now with the plate and screws in it. Still no idea how long he will be out.

What exactly happened to his shoulder?

He got hurt after taking a hit in front of the Miami bench against Denver on 12/6. Sounds like his upper body fell awkwardly into the boards. I haven't been able to find any official info on him but going off his x-rays, it appears like he fractured his collarbone and had it fixed with a plate and 10 screws. I have no idea how long that takes to heal and how long any rehab for it takes.

He got hurt after taking a hit in front of the Miami bench against Denver on 12/6. Sounds like his upper body fell awkwardly into the boards. I haven't been able to find any official info on him but going off his x-rays, it appears like he fractured his collarbone and had it fixed with a plate and 10 screws. I have no idea how long that takes to heal and how long any rehab for it takes.

Yikes!  Sounds painful.  The picture of the bar and screws look like parts of bone were replaced.  Shoulders take a heckuva long time to rehab.  Maybe it will be shorter for him since he is an athlete.  btw, bones take 2 full years to fully heal even though we can go on as we once did.  He will probably need antibiotics for stuff like going to the dentist. 

Thnx for the info. :)

Thursday 12/19
OHL
North Bay defeated Mississauga 3-2 (SO)
Ben Thomson LW: -1, 2 PIM (Hooking)
Season: 23 GP 8-7-15, -3, 55 PIM

Kingston defeated Peterborough 4-1
Ryan Kujawinski C: Goal (PP), 2 Assists, +3
Season: 27 GP 13-11-24, E, 22 PIM

Belarus defeated Poland 5-1
Artur Gavrus C: Goal, Assist, +2, 3 Shots, 13/16 Faceoffs
Tournament: 4 GP 3-6-9, 0 PIM, +5, 25 Shots, 65.79 FO%

Corey Pronman @coreypronman

18m

Canada cut Shinkaruk (VAN) and Severson (NJD).

-------

I watched Canada's exhibition game against Finland this morning and Sutter had Severson as the 7th defenseman. He might've had 3 minutes of ice time and didn't do anything of note (positive or negative). It's odd that they didn't give him much of a chance, while a guy like Matt Dumba continuously made bone-headed plays. I guess Sutter merely looks at draft position...

Re: McDavid. He is every bit as good as people say. He played on a line with possible 2014 top pick, Sam Reinhart, and our old friend Bo Horvat.

I also caught USA's exhibition against Sweden where they were taken down 4-2. Matteau played mostly with Hudson Fasching (LA) and Andrew Copp (WPG), though he did get moved up to the top line with Ryan Hartman (CHI) and 2015 eligible Jack Eichel. He made some nice plays in the offensive zone, including a sweet pass to send Fasching on a breakaway. He cycled the puck well and was physical. Steven Santini was paired with Will Butcher (COL). He played well on the PK and threw one particularly heavy hit in the neutral zone. He plays a very quiet game but is such a silky-smooth skater

Edited by SMantzas

Sucks that Severson got cut but I had the feeling it was going to happen when the Wild let Dumba go to Team Canada. Has to suck for Severson to not only get cut but have go overseas for it to happen. Would've rather seen him play than a guy like Derrick Pouliot who never impressed me in his own zone.

EDIT: I should also add that Mark Edwards at Hockey Prospect mentioned the other day that Severson wasn't having a great camp.

I really like Matteau's chances of making Team USA. I think Santini makes it but I'm not as sure of his chances compared to Matteau, though they are still pretty good.

Edited by thefiestygoat

Friday 12/20
QMJHL
Gatineau lost to Rouyn-Noranda 5-4 (OT)
Anthony Brodeur G: 14 Saves on 15 Shots in 33:36 (Relieved Steeves)
Season: 15 GP 7-6-0, 3.17 GAA, .877 SV%

OHL
Windsor defeated Saginaw 11-6
Ben Johnson LW: 2 Goals, 2 Assists, +4* 2nd Star
Season: 28 GP 15-9-24, +7, 8 PIM

Kingston defeated Ottawa 8-5
Ryan Kujawinski C: Goal (PP), +1, 5 PIM (Fighting)
Season: 28 GP 14-11-25, +1, 27 PIM

-- 2 goals, 3 assists in last 3 games.

Saturday 12/21
QMJHL
Gatineau defeated Val-d'Or 4-2
Anthony Brodeur G: DNP
Season: 15 GP 7-6-0, 3.17 GAA, .877 SV%

Belarus lost to Latvia 4-3
Artur Gavrus C: 2 Goals (1 PP), +1, 4 Shots, 10/20 Faceoffs
Final Tournament Stats: 5 GP 5-6-11, 0 PIM, +6, 29 Shots, 62.5 FO%

-- Gavrus led the WJCD1A Tournament in scoring for the 2nd year in a row. In those 2 years he played a total of 10 games with 10 goals, 11 assists, and +13 rating. He also captained Belarus for both of those years.

-- Besides being the scoring leader, Gavrus finished 2nd in goals (5), t-1st in assists (6), 1st in shots (29), 2nd in +/- (+6), and 4th in FO% (62.5).

Sunday 12/22
WJC Exhibition
USA defeated Finland 3-2
Stefan Matteau LW: E, 4 PIM (Tripping, Roughing), 5 Shots
Steve Santini D: E

Observations from the 1st period:
-- LW Stefan Matteau once again skated on a line with Andrew Copp ('13 4/104 WPG) and Hudson Fasching ('13 4/118 LAK). D Santini was on a pair with Will Butcher ('13 5/123 COL) again.

-- Matteau also got PP time with Jack Eichel (2015) and Ryan Hartman ('13 1/30 CHI) up front and Brady Skjei ('12 1/28 NYR) and Jacob Slavin ('12 4/120) at the points.

-- With D Brett Pesce ('13 3/66 CAR) being cut, Santini has officially made the team. The US is now set with their 3 goaltenders and 7 defensemen.

-- With C/RW Henrik Samuelsson ('12 1/27 PHX) cut, the US will need to cut one more forward. They are going to wait as long as possible to do that since forwards Adam Erne ('13 2/33 TBL) and Tyler Motte ('13 4/121) have been out sick. I think Matteau will make the team since he's been consistently used on the 3rd line with the same linemates.

Team Canada Note:
-- Apparently D Matt Dumba may be facing a suspension for a hit earlier today. Canada is already going to be missing D Griffin Reinhart for their first 3 games from a carry over suspension from last year. There appears to be a *small* chance that Damon Severson could be recalled since Sutter would rather not go with 5 D for potentially the first 3 games if Dumba gets suspended.

I know Gavrus is expected to put up

big numbers but wow that's pretty impressive. What are his odds at making the nhl and how far off is he from getting a pro contract?

I'd say his odds of making the NHL aren't that high but he is a nice project/wildcard prospect that they were able to grab in the 6th round due to him suffering 2 concussions in his draft year.

Hockey Prospect's 2012 draft write up on him mentions that he's an above average skater, has good vision offensively, a good shot, and is a threat on the PP but his overall game needs work. Seemed like he struggled to adjust to North American rinks and put himself in some bad positions to be hit which led to the concussions. Some draft rankings had him in the 2nd/3rd round range but Hockey Prospect had him as a mid round prospect.

I think their is a decent shot that the Devils sign him to an ELC and have him in Albany next year but I wouldn't mind if they let him play another year overseas since he may take awhile to develop, if at all. I'm pretty sure the Devils have to sign him by a June 1 (?), 2014 deadline or else he would re-enter the draft for one last time.

Thursday 12/26
WJC
USA defeated Czech Republic 5-1
Stefan Matteau LW: +1, 2 PIM (Slashing), 1/1 Faceoff* Best Player

LW Matteau skated on a line with Andrew Copp ('13 4/104 WPG) and Hudson Fasching ('13 4/118 LAK) and was on the PP. D Santini was on a pair with Will Butcher ('13 5/123 COL) and played on the PK.

Chris Peters

"USA Standouts from Game 1 for me: Matteau-Copp-Fasching line, Barber, Grzelcyk, Santini, Skjei, Gillies, Eichel, Hinostroza."

"Stefan Matteau named Team USA's player of the game. Interesting choice, but his line with Andrew Copp, Hudson Fasching was fantastic."

Corey Pronman

Re Matteau: "Good speed & power. Didn't create a ton, but was semi-noticeable."

Re Santini: "He was solid. Mobile, physical, made stops, basic with the puck"

United States of Hockey Recap

Stefan Matteau — Matteau was named Team USA’s Player of the Game, which was an interesting choice to me since he didn’t find the scoresheet in a 5-1 game, but I think that has a lot to do with how well that line with Copp and Fasching played. Matteau played with speed and physicality and was just a handful for the Czechs. He did take one penalty on an ill-advised slash, but mostly he played the way the U.S. needs him to. He just narrowly missed the team last year and after speaking with him at the camp in Minneapolis, he is really relishing this opportunity. He needs to be great for the U.S. and he was in Game 1.

Steven Santini — I thought Santini was fantastic throughout the game and made his often quiet defensive play noticeable. He had one iffy shift the whole game, I thought. He was physical, delivering the game’s biggest hit among others, and he showed his good defensive stick and positioning. His skating is an underrated asset of his as he closes in on opposing forwards quickly and finds himself in the right place a lot. He could end up seeing his minutes grow in this tournament.

Thursday 12/26

WJC

USA defeated Czech Republic 5-1

Stefan Matteau LW: +1, 2 PIM (Slashing), 1/1 Faceoff* Best Player

LW Matteau skated on a line with Andrew Copp ('13 4/104 WPG) and Hudson Fasching ('13 4/118 LAK) and was on the PP. D Santini was on a pair with Will Butcher ('13 5/123 COL) and played on the PK.

Chris Peters

"USA Standouts from Game 1 for me: Matteau-Copp-Fasching line, Barber, Grzelcyk, Santini, Skjei, Gillies, Eichel, Hinostroza."

"Stefan Matteau named Team USA's player of the game. Interesting choice, but his line with Andrew Copp, Hudson Fasching was fantastic."

Corey Pronman

Re Matteau: "Good speed & power. Didn't create a ton, but was semi-noticeable."

Re Santini: "He was solid. Mobile, physical, made stops, basic with the puck"

United States of Hockey Recap

Nice reading positive remarks about your own. Thanks for update.

Friday 12/27
KHL
Dinamo Minsk lost to Ak Bars Kazan 2-1
Artur Gavrus C: E, 2 Shots, 0/1 Faceoff, 16:22 TOI

WHL
Swift Current lost to Moose Jaw 3-2 (SO)
Graham Black C: 2 Assists (1 PP), +1* 2nd Star

-- 5 assists in last 2 games.
-- 51 points in 37 games, 50 points in 68 games last year, 50 points in 71 games 2 years ago.

Kelowna defeated Kamloops 7-1 (13th straight win, 22nd of 23)
Damon Severson D: DNP (Rest after trip to Europe)
Myles Bell RW: Goal, +1

-- Has scored in 6 straight games. Has 8 goals, 3 assists in those 6 games.

NCAA
Wisconsin defeated Alabama-Huntsville 5-0
Joe Faust D: Assist, +2, 2 PIM (Cross-Checking), 1 Block

-- 8 points in 99 games in his first 3 years, 9 points in 15 games this year.

Michigan Tech tied Michigan State 2-2 (Played outdoors at Comerica Park)
Blake Pietila LW: -1, 2 PIM (Elbowing), 6 Shots, 10/11 Faceoffs

Saturday 12/28
WJC
USA defeated Slovakia 6-3
Stefan Matteau LW: Goal, +1, 2 PIM (Interference), 1 Shot
Steve Santini D: -1, 1 Shot

United States of Hockey

Steven Santini — Once again, I thought Santini was Team USA’s best defender overall. His skating ability and physical play were out there for all to see in this game again. For a younger guy, he’s very smart and closes gaps so well.

Stefan Matteau — Matteau played physically and his strength on the puck was notable. He did score a goal on a nice finish from the slot.

QMJHL
Gatineau defeated Blainville-Boisbriand 4-2
Anthony Brodeur G: DNP

OHL
Windsor defeated Saginaw 4-1
Ben Johnson LW: +2, 2 PIM (Slashing)

North Bay lost to Sudbury 4-2
Ben Thomson LW: Assist, E, 2 PIM (Hooking)

WHL
Swift Current defeated Moose Jaw 4-1
Graham Black C: DNP (Sick)

Kelowna defeated Vancouver 4-2
Damon Severson D: Assist (PP), -1
Myles Bell RW: -1

NCAA
Wisconsin defeated Alabama-Huntsville 3-2
Joe Faust D: +1, 3 Shots, 1 Block

Ohio State defeated Mercyhurst 6-3
Curtis Gedig D: E, 1 Shot, 2 Blocks

Michigan Tech lost to Western Michigan 1-0 (OT)
Blake Pietila LW: E, 2 PIM (Holding the Stick), 2 Shots, 5/8 Faceoffs

Sunday 12/29
WJC
USA defeated Germany 8-0
Stefan Matteau LW: E, 2 PIM (Roughing), 4 Shots
Steve Santini D: Goal (PP), +1, 2 PIM (Interference), 1 Shot

United States of Hockey

7. Steven Santini (Grzelcyk, Kerdiles), 10:39 (pp) — On yet another power play, Team USA got experimental. Santini was put used as the net-front forward despite being a defensive defenseman. It paid off. Grzelcyk’s shot went off Santini’s shin pads for a goal.

Steven Santini — Again, Santini has been wow-worthy in his own zone. It’s tougher to gauge on a game like today’s, but he was solid throughout. When he got thrown out on the PP for the first time, probably all season, he got a goal. He’s been really good throughout the tournament, so it was nice to see him get on the score sheet.

KHL
Dinamo Minsk defeated Torpedo Nizhny Novgorod 4-0
Artur Gavrus F: E, 1 Shot, 9:36 TOI
Season: 22 GP 1-2-3, -2, 8 PIM, 3.3 SH%, 1.4 SH/GP, 45.5 FO%, 11:52 TOI/GP

QMJHL
Gatineau lost to Blainville-Boisbriand 6-4
Anthony Brodeur G: 26 Saves on 31 Shots
Season: 16 GP 7-7-0, 3.31 GAA, .873 SV%

OHL
Windsor defeated Saginaw 6-5
Ben Johnson LW: Goal (PP), +1
Season: 30 GP 16-9-25, +10, 10 PIM