2013-14 Prospect Thread

thefiestygoat

Lou can give Schneider 36 to 42 million reasons to play at least 50 games next year, and then 65-75 games a year for the next five or six years after that.  Believe it or not, most of these guys don't have the fragile egos that you just seem to assume they must have. 

And in fact, Lou can very easily determine whether Schneider signing an extension is being put in jeapordy, by simply offering him that amount of money once the season ends, if it hasn't happened already.  If an older Ryan Miller can bring the return that he did, I can only imagine what Lou would get for a much younger Schneider, where the team trading for Schneider will have a distinct advantage in re-signing him, because he'll be young enough where an 8 year deal would make sense.

The only reason I am engaging the "kiss Cory goodbye" nonsense is because I need to quote this for truth.

Kiss Cory goodbye if that happens. The loyalty and respect Lou is giving is unprecedented in the sports landscape. Maybe Jeter with the Yankees, but he is retiring at a fine age and not handicapping the organization (hard to handicap the Yankees, anyway). We'll never know what would happen if Jeter wanted to keep playing.

But if Brodeur keeps winning, he'll say all the same things he said during the 2012 playoff run. And like the deadline, I don't think many teams will be interested. He had some leverage in 2012, but that won't happen this time around. It's just up to Lou to say no thank you. I don't see that ever happening.

Lou hasn't really done anything.  He listened to Brodeur.  Brodeur got some starts and had 2 good ones and 2 lousy ones and somehow won all 4.  That's how it's been going for him this year.  I don't think Brodeur wants to be here next year, and if he has a .910 SV% down the stretch and NJ scores him some goals someone will take a chance on him next year.

Lou hasn't really done anything.  He listened to Brodeur.  Brodeur got some starts and had 2 good ones and 2 lousy ones and somehow won all 4.  That's how it's been going for him this year.  I don't think Brodeur wants to be here next year, and if he has a .910 SV% down the stretch and NJ scores him some goals someone will take a chance on him next year.

He gave Brodeur a 2-year contract. He drafted his son ("his" being Marty's son, not to be confused by him calling Marty his son). He may have refused to trade him. He 100% promised him the opportunity for more games. And if Brodeur wanted bakc next year, I bet Lou would welcome it.

Edited by devilsrule33

He gave Brodeur a 2-year contract. He drafted his son ("his" being Marty's son, not to be confused by him calling Marty his son). He may have refused to trade him. He 100% promised him the opportunity for more games. And if Brodeur wanted bakc next year, I bet Lou would welcome it.

Other teams were offering a 2 year contract.  I don't see this as favoritism somehow.  The drafting of the son - yeah, whatever, I don't like it at all but Anthony will get used to the weather in Elmira.  (I feel bad for Anthony in that he's been cast into this life but I don't see how he becomes a successful pro goaltender - there's a few other stars' kids kicking around like David Bondra who aren't going to make it either.  To that end, his being drafted by NJ is a reward for Martin Brodeur alone).  Refusing to trade him can easily make sense from a hockey perspective because NJ doesn't exactly have a proven backup behind him and he's not going to get anything for him in trade.  I don't think a promise for more games is really that bad because he was obviously going to get more than the 0 he got in between the Winter Classic and the Olympics.  And I think Lou may welcome a return, depending on the price point, but I think Brodeur doesn't welcome it.

Edited by Triumph

Other teams were offering a 2 year contract.  I don't see this as favoritism somehow.  The drafting of the son - yeah, whatever, I don't like it at all but Anthony will get used to the weather in Elmira.  (I feel bad for Anthony in that he's been cast into this life but I don't see how he becomes a successful pro goaltender - there's a few other stars' kids kicking around like David Bondra who aren't going to make it either.  To that end, his being drafted by NJ is a reward for Martin Brodeur alone).  Refusing to trade him can easily make sense from a hockey perspective because NJ doesn't exactly have a proven backup behind him and he's not going to get anything for him in trade.  I don't think a promise for more games is really that bad because he was obviously going to get more than the 0 he got in between the Winter Classic and the Olympics.  And I think Lou may welcome a return, depending on the price point, but I think Brodeur doesn't welcome it.

We'll see how this season ends. The thing is Brodeur is playing games and a lot of them, so I don't think anything is close to off the table. Marty might be "having fun" or "getting wins" and want to return suddenly.

The bottom line is that there is no situation where it should make sense for the organization to want Brodeur back. But you know there is a chance. A chance is too much.

If there are no offers for Brodeur...do you think Lou says sorry to a guy who doesn't want to retire? I hope so, but I don't see it right now.

Other teams were offering a 2 year contract.  I don't see this as favoritism somehow.  The drafting of the son - yeah, whatever, I don't like it at all but Anthony will get used to the weather in Elmira.  (I feel bad for Anthony in that he's been cast into this life but I don't see how he becomes a successful pro goaltender - there's a few other stars' kids kicking around like David Bondra who aren't going to make it either).  Refusing to trade him can easily make sense from a hockey perspective because NJ doesn't exactly have a proven backup behind him and he's not going to get anything for him in trade.  I don't think a promise for more games is really that bad because he was obviously going to get more than the 0 he got in between the Winter Classic and the Olympics.  And I think Lou may welcome it, depending on the price point, but I think Brodeur doesn't welcome it.

Re:  Anthony, deep down I don't think he kids himself about his NHL future.  I think he's going to give it his best shot for a few years, but I don't think he's oblivious to the circumstances that saw him taken.  If not for the Devils he's an undrafted FA. 

You really think Marty wants out of NJ that badly?  Guess it's all speculation...I don't really get the impression that he's counting down the days until he can go elsewhere, though it's probably best for everyone involved if he does.       

Do you just feel compelled to double down on each hysterical post.

Hello, Lou traded the number 9 overall pick for Schneider, and evidently didn't tell Marty about it.  It seems like a very bizarre thing to do to the guy that is evidently pulling all the strings.  I don't know how you can speak with certainty that Lou promised Marty more games, or if it's even Lou's place to do so.  DeBoer just said he did not Schneider sitting for anything more than a couple of games, which is a lot more certainty than Marty has gotten at all this season.

As a nice gesture, Lou drafted Anthony with the last overall pick in the draft.  Believe it or not, sometimes people do things for sentimental purposes and don't consult a spreadsheet for every single decision they make. 

EDIT:  And he gave Marty a two year contract, after the team went to the Stanley Cup Finals, when there was no one that you could realisticly get to take over for him the following year.  Lou also gave Hedberg a two year deal.  Or is it just that Marty got all mushy and decided to cede some of his power in the organization to Hedberg too?

Edited by Daniel

Do you just feel compelled to double down on each hysterical post.

Hello, Lou traded the number 9 overall pick for Schneider, and evidently didn't tell Marty about it.  It seems like a very bizarre thing to do to the guy that is evidently pulling all the strings.  I don't know how you can speak with certainty that Lou promised Marty more games, or if it's even Lou's place to do so.  DeBoer just said he did not Schneider sitting for anything more than a couple of games, which is a lot more certainty than Marty has gotten at all this season.

As a nice gesture, Lou drafted Anthony with the last overall pick in the draft.  Believe it or not, sometimes people do things for sentimental purposes and don't consult a spreadsheet for every single decision they make. 

Lou might be loyal, but he's not an idiot. He knew he had absolutely nothing in the pipeline as a replacement for Brodeur. This was also the last year left on both his 40-year-old goalies' deals, so it was proactive move. It was a smart trade, but he might have viewed Cory as someone who would just have to wait a bit longer to get his starting job. Maybe, Cory really didn't want to do that.

I don't buy that he didn't want to trade Brodeur since that would leave them with no backup. Brodeur's stats at the time of the deadline could be duplicated by any starting goalie in the AHL. Furthermore, he could have traded for a number of backups that were going around for nothing. If he let Marty go to Minny, he could have had Bryzgalov and so on. Lou has always said that he would never even think to trade Brodeur. So when Marty came to him telling him what he wanted, he probably thought we'll give you some of the things you are looking for. Brodeur's comments from the days leading up to the deadline to the days after...says it all

I never said the Anthony pick was stupid. I liked it, but I think it in an example of the extraordinary GM-Player relationship they have, and the things Lou would do for Marty.

One thing dr33...I think we all have to be careful in assuming an AHL goalie can just pop in and be NHL-poor.  We really have no idea if, say, a Kinkaid-type can come up and pick up where Marty leaves off, even if Marty isn't playing NHL-well.   

Lou might be loyal, but he's not an idiot. He knew he had absolutely nothing in the pipeline as a replacement for Brodeur. This was also the last year left on both his 40-year-old goalies' deals, so it was proactive move. It was a smart trade, but he might have viewed Cory as someone who would just have to wait a bit longer to get his starting job. Maybe, Cory really didn't want to do that.

I don't buy that he didn't want to trade Brodeur since that would leave them with no backup. Brodeur's stats at the time of the deadline could be duplicated by any starting goalie in the AHL. Furthermore, he could have traded for a number of backups that were going around for nothing. If he let Marty go to Minny, he could have had Bryzgalov and so on. Lou has always said that he would never even think to trade Brodeur. So when Marty came to him telling him what he wanted, he probably thought we'll give you some of the things you are looking for. Brodeur's comments from the days leading up to the deadline to the days after...says it all

I never said the Anthony pick was stupid. I liked it, but I think it in an example of the extraordinary GM-Player relationship they have, and the things Lou would do for Marty.

Now it's getting really bizarre.  He knows there's nothing in the pipeline to replace Brodeur, but he has no problem pissing off the guy he made a big splash to get to replenish that pipeline?  Or maybe I have no idea where you're going with this.  Was it Lou that wanted to keep Marty the whole time, despite Marty saying he wanted a trade?  Was it Marty saying he wanted a trade, and that Lou promised him more starts to get him to stay, even though Lou didn't have to promise him anything?  Much more likely, Lou attempted to trade Marty, but didn't want to give him away.  Other teams that needed goalies went with guys with the better save percentages and that were much less costly to obtain.  Or at least it's the most logical explanation based on what we actually do know.

The bottom line is this.  When Lou traded for Schneider, he said the Devils had two goalies the team could depend on.  When the season started that's what DeBoer said, and he has since been pretty consistent in saying he would ride the hot hand.  It's a fairly common thing that coaches do.  But in this case, when Schneider was the hot hand, he got seven straight starts.  When it was Marty, he got 3, and the coach has said that's the most it's going to be.

Sometimes, you just have call unwise personnel decisions just that.  There isn't palace intrigue behind everything. 

I hope not. DeAngelo is a Jersey kid but is a small (5'11, 167) offensive defenseman who struggles defensively and has been suspended twice this season for violating the OHL's harassment, abuse, and diversity policy. He was one of the last cuts from team USA for the WJC this year.

Even without the off the ice issues, the Devils have a ton of depth and quality at D and they don't need a kid that can't play in his own end.

He's ranked anywhere between 10 and 30 on rankings I've seen.  Lou seems to always run a best player available draft.  And it seems like suspensions don't really bother him so much if he likes the player, see, e.g. Corrente and Merrill.  The article doesn't really say what precisely happened with DeAngelo, and that Sarnia is being tight lipped about it, but violating something vague sounding like the "harassment, abuse, and diversity policy" can mean anything from burning a cross on someone's lawn, to saying that n'sync was a pretty gay boy band. 

He's ranked anywhere between 10 and 30 on rankings I've seen.  Lou seems to always run a best player available draft.  And it seems like suspensions don't really bother him so much if he likes the player, see, e.g. Corrente and Merrill.  The article doesn't really say what precisely happened with DeAngelo, and that Sarnia is being tight lipped about it, but violating something vague sounding like the "harassment, abuse, and diversity policy" can mean anything from burning a cross on someone's lawn, to saying that n'sync was a pretty gay boy band. 

I'm always in favor of drafting the best available talent so I'm not opposed to taking a defenseman but DeAngelo is a guy I'd steer clear of since he's all offense and no defense. Based on what I've read and the rankings out there, I'd be more intrigued by D like Julius Honka or Roland McKeown if they were available. Like DeAngelo, the rankings seem to be a bit all over the place for these players.

Yea, from what I've seen, unless you pull a Patrice Cormier, Lou is willing to see passed these types of transgressions as long as the player commits to improving. Not only, that but from what I have read on the DeAngelo situation, it sounds like this was more of a PC issue than anything else (a la one of the many athletes caught up in the heat of the moment), not that I condone this type of speak. In other words, I think your N'Sync analogy is spot on and the likely parallel.

as for the draft - think there's a chance that Nikita Scherbak falls?

Currently leading the WHL in rookie scoring (though he is 18) with 77 points in 63 games. Craig Button most recently has him ranked 21st, Future Considerations doesn't have him in their top 30, and Hockey Prospect has him 10th, up from his previous 24th ranking. Maybe the Russian factor will play into where he eventually gets drafted though.

Most everyone is saying it is an overall weak draft aside from 1st 3-5 draftee's. After that, I'm sure no one is nhl ready. But hopefully a "relatively short term' project. Hopefully he's not another Suglobov.

Friday 3/14
QMJHL
Gatineau defeated Sherbrooke 7-1
Anthony Brodeur G: 23 Saves on 24 Shots* 3rd Star

OHL
Windsor defeated Kitchener 3-2 (SO)
Ben Johnson LW: Goal (PP), E

North Bay defeated Sudbury 5-3
Ben Thomson LW: -1

Kingston defeated Ottawa 5-4 (OT)
Ryan Kujawinski C: +1, 4 PIM (Holding, Slashing)

WHL
Swift Current defeated Moose Jaw 5-4
Graham Black C: Assist, E* 2nd Star

-- 10 game scoring streak: 5 goals and 15 assists.

Kelowna defeated Vancouver 6-5
Damon Severson D: DNP (Rest)
Myles Bell RW: Goal (PP), 2 Assists (1 PP), E

NCAA Regular Season
Wisconsin lost to Michigan State 5-4 (OT)
Joe Faust D: E, 1 Shot, 1 Block

Ohio State defeated Penn State 4-2
Curtis Gedig D: Assist, +2, 3 Shots, 1 Block

NCHC Quarterfinals (Best of 3)
North Dakota defeated Colorado College 4-2 (Lead Series 1-0)
Derek Rodwell RW: Assist, -1, 2 PIM (Interference)

Miami defeated St. Cloud State 5-4 (OT) (Lead Series 1-0)
Blake Coleman C: -1, 2 PIM (Elbowing), 4 Shots, 5/7 Faceoffs

WCHA Quarterfinals (Best of 3)
Michigan Tech lost to Bowling Green 2-1 (Trail Series 1-0)
Blake Pietila C: E, 1 Shot, 11/18 Faceoffs

Hockey East Quarterfinals (Best of 3)
Boston College lost to Notre Dame 7-2 (Trail Series 1-0)
Steve Santini D: -1

Saturday 3/15
QMJHL
Gatineau lost to Rouyn-Noranda 5-1
Anthony Brodeur G: 27 Saves on 32 Shots

-- Gatineau is the 8th seed and will play Cape Breton in the 1st round of the QMJHL playoffs.

OHL
Windsor lost to Plymouth 4-1
Ben Johnson LW: Goal, E

-- 4 goals in his last 5 games.
-- Windsor is the 5th seed in the West and will play London in the Quarterfinals.

WHL
Swift Current defeated Moose Jaw 3-1
Graham Black C: +1

-- Swift Current finishes as the #5 seed in the East and will play Medicine Hat in the Quarterfinals.

Kelowna defeated Vancouver 5-3
Damon Severson D: Assist (PP), -1
Myles Bell RW: -1, 2 PIM (Unsportsmanlike Conduct)

-- Kelowna finishes as the #1 seed in the West and with the best record in the WHL. They play Tri-City in the Quarterfinals.

NCAA Regular Season
Wisconsin defeated Michigan State 4-3
Joe Faust D: Assist, E, 1 Shot, 1 Block

-- Will play winner of the Michigan/Penn State in the Big Ten Tournament Semifinals.

Ohio State lost to Penn State 4-2
Curtis Gedig D: Goal (PP), E, 2 Shots, 4 Blocks

-- Will play Michigan State in the Big Ten Tournament Quarterfinals.

North Dakota lost to Colorado College 3-2 (OT) (Series Tied 1-1)
Derek Rodwell RW: E, 4 PIM (Roughing x2), 1 Block

Miami defeated St. Cloud State 4-3 (Win Series 2-0)
Blake Coleman C: Assist, E, 3 Shots, 3 Blocks, 3/7 Faceoffs

-- Miami upsets the #1 seed in the tournament to keep their season and chance at the NCAA Tournament alive.

WCHA Quarterfinals (Best of 3)
Michigan Tech lost to Bowling Green 5-2 (Lose Series 2-0)
Blake Pietila C: Assist (PP), -1, 2 PIM (Roughing), 1 Shot, 10/18 Faceoffs

-- Season over, Pietila's final stats: 39 GP 8-20-28, -4, 84 PIM, 114 Shots

Boston College defeated Notre Dame 4-2 (Series Tied 1-1)
Steve Santini D: E, 4 PIM (Holding, Boarding), 2 Blocks

Sunday 3/16
OHL
North Bay defeated Ottawa 12-1
Ben Thomson LW: Goal, 2 Assists, +5
Final Regular Season Stats: 55 GP 27-18-45, +15, 90 PIM

-- North Bay is the 2nd seed in the East and will play Niagara in the Quarterfinals.

Kingston defeated Mississauga 4-1
Ryan Kujawinski C: Goal (PP), Assist (PP), E* 1st Star
Final Regular Season Stats: 45 GP 23-18-41, +3, 39 PIM

-- Kingston is the 3rd seed in the East and will play Peterborough in the Quarterfinals.

North Dakota defeated Colorado College 4-3 (Win Series 2-1)
Derek Rodwell RW: 2 Assists, +2, 1 Shot, 1 Block* 2nd Star

-- North Dakota moves on to face Miami in the NCHC Semifinals.

Boston College lost to Notre Dame 4-2 (Lose Series 2-1)
Steve Santini D: -2, 1 Block

-- Boston College will still be going to the NCAA Tournament.

Kujawinski's numbers are not bad if he's a winger.  I know Jason was saying earlier that he's a converted center or something, and indeed, his assist numbers overall in junior are awful.  But his goal scoring numbers - .5 goals per game in Y+1 after draft isn't bad.  If he can follow that up with a 40 G 40 A 60 GP sort of year, he could be someone to watch.

Kujawinski's numbers are not bad if he's a winger.  I know Jason was saying earlier that he's a converted center or something, and indeed, his assist numbers overall in junior are awful.  But his goal scoring numbers - .5 goals per game in Y+1 after draft isn't bad.  If he can follow that up with a 40 G 40 A 60 GP sort of year, he could be someone to watch.

Sign Blake Pietila now

I want Pietila as well.  He wins faceoffs, he can kill penalties, he can play a physical game.  I think it's definitely time to see some other forwards in our bottom six.  CBGB run is definitely over.  Let's see more Josefson, Sislo, and some of these younger guys

Edited by RizzMB30

Saturday 3/15

QMJHL

Gatineau lost to Rouyn-Noranda 5-1

Anthony Brodeur G: 27 Saves on 32 Shots

-- Gatineau is the 8th seed and will play Cape Breton in the 1st round of the QMJHL playoffs.

Curious to see how much playing time Anthony gets in the playoffs.  Neither he nor Steeves really distinguished themselves down the stretch.  Steeves might just about be done...he's the oldest player on his team and he's been pretty meh in two seasons with Gatineau. 

Apparently this Swede (UMass/Lowell is sought after. Wonder if Devs have anyone in their sights? We have a quite few guys ready to come into organization next year

http://www.cbc.ca/sports-content/hockey/opinion/2014/03/christian-folin-is-at-the-head-of-us-college-free-agent-class.html