2013-14 Prospect Thread

thefiestygoat

Tuesday 4/22
OHL ECF
#2 North Bay defeated #1 Oshawa 5-3 (Lead Series 3-0)
Ben Thomson LW: Assist, +2, 2 PIM (Hooking)
Playoffs: 16 GP 4-6-10, +7, 43 PIM

WHL WCF
#1 Kelowna lost to #2 Portland 4-3 (OT) (Trail Series 2-1)
Damon Severson D: -1, 2 PIM (High Sticking)
Playoffs: 12 GP 4-11-15, +4, 14 PIM

Myles Bell RW: DNP (Week to Week)
Playoffs: 4 GP 3-1-4, E, 2 PIM

-- Kelowna was outshot 65-33.

Wednesday 4/23
OHL ECF
#2 North Bay defeated #1 Oshawa 3-2 (Win Series 4-0)
Ben Thomson LW: Assist, E, 6 PIM (Unsportsmanlike, Hooking, Roughing)
Playoffs: 17 GP 4-7-11, +7, 49 PIM

-- North Bay will face either Guelph or Erie in the OHL Final.

WHL WCF
#1 Kelowna lost to #2 Portland 5-1 (Trail Series 3-1)
Damon Severson D: Assist, -1
Playoffs: 13 GP 4-12-16, +3, 14 PIM

Friday 4/25
WHL WCF
#1 Kelowna lost to #2 Portland 7-3 (Lose Series 4-1)
Damon Severson D: 2 Assists (1 PP), +1, 4 PIM (Roughing x2)
Regular Season: 64 GP 15-46-61, +47, 63 PIM
Playoffs: 14 GP 4-14-18, +4, 18 PIM
Career Regular Season: 260 GP 36-131-167, +102, 270 PIM
Career Playoffs: 39 GP 9-23-32, -2, 51 PIM

Regular Season: 69 GP 42-35-77, +21, 51 PIM
Career Regular Season: 327 GP 113-162-275, +32, 296 PIM
Career Playoffs: 19 GP 9-6-15, -2, 10 PIM

Let's not read too much into Severson's hot streak in the playoffs.

He was on a hot streak in the playoffs but I'm very happy with him being nearly a point per game player in the regular season as a 19 yr old D. Of course he was on a great team but he wasn't a passenger. From what I've seen from him he skates well, makes solid decisions, and passes well. Doesn't really have a great shot so I doubt he scores much as a pro but he finds ways to get the puck into traffic in front of the net. I'm going to figure out what his EV/PP/SH and primary/secondary splits are on his scoring this season sometime soon.

If the Devils didn't have so many NHL caliber D already, he'd probably be able to contend for a spot in NJ during camp this fall. I expect to see him if/when injuries occur next year.

Friday 5/2

OHL Championship

E2 North Bay defeated W1 Guelph 4-3 (OT) (Series Tied 1-1)

Ben Thomson LW: 2 Assists (1 PP, on GTG & GWG), +1

Playoffs: 19 GP 5-9-14, +8, 55 PIM

First two games are close. I'm hoping NB goes on because many of the tournament frames are televised on nhl network. 

I wonder if Thomson could turn into a Brad Marchand type player?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thompson is a big boy, Marchand is on smallish side.  I'm thinking he was used as a 4th line goon in Kitchener, but wisely in Brampton.  I'm hoping he's a pearl in the oyster. He's probably projected to be at best 3rd line player, but I guess we'll see. 

Tuesday 5/6
OHL Championship
E2 North Bay lost to W1 Guelph 4-3 (Trail Series 2-1)
Ben Thomson LW: -1, 2 PIM (Roughing)
Playoffs: 20 GP 5-9-14, +7, 57 PIM

-- North Bay blew a 3-2 lead with 30 seconds left to lose the game.
-- Guelph outshot North Bay 44-26, including 27-11 thru the first 2 periods.

Thompson is a big boy, Marchand is on smallish side. I'm thinking he was used as a 4th line goon in Kitchener, but wisely in Brampton. I'm hoping he's a pearl in the oyster. He's probably projected to be at best 3rd line player, but I guess we'll see.

Yeah, don't know why I had it in my head that Marchand was a big guy, maybe it's just that he's a nasty SOB.

I kind of get the sense that the Devils are drafting big guys with nasty streaks in the hopes that one of them turns into Milan Lucic. Thomson, Matteau and Kujawinski.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wednesday 5/7
OHL Championship
E2 North Bay lost to W1 Guelph 10-1 (Trail Series 3-1)
Ben Thomson LW: -1, 7 PIM (Instigator, Fighting, Misconduct, Game Misconduct)
Playoffs: 21 GP 5-9-14, +6, 64 PIM

-- Apparently Thomson ripped off Ryan Horvat's helmet in the fight which resulted in an ejection and possible 1 game suspension.

EDIT:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gqpHajv0os

Edited by thefiestygoat

Friday 5/9
OHL Championship
E2 North Bay lost to W1 Guelph 4-3 (Lose Series 4-1)
Ben Thomson LW: -1
Regular Season: 55 GP 27-18-45, +15, 90 PIM
Playoffs: 22 GP 5-9-14, +5, 64 PIM

Career Regular Season: 303 GP 65-85-150, +28, 483 PIM
Career Playoffs: 66 GP 11-18-29, -2, 124 PIM

-- North Bay once again blew a one goal lead late in the 3rd to lose in regulation. This time in the last 4:30 minutes.

2014 WHC
Belarus lost to USA 6-1
Raman Hrabarenka D: -1, 20:46 TOI

Somewhat OT: New Jersey native Mike Haviland is moving on to coach Colorado College. (Source)

Guelph: Tyler Bertuzzi – It’s hard to choose just one player on a team that can hurt you from top to bottom. But we will go with #17 because he has 17 points in 17 playoff games so far (and I like the number 17, can you tell?!). Bertuzzi is one of those players you love to have but hate to play against. He can play on the top two lines, he can play on the bottom. Slot him in on the PP for a key goal? Leave him out on the PK. Need a key shot block? Bert’s your man. Need a timely goal? Bertuzzi may just provide you with that spark. He’s been the total package, on the score sheet and off, so look out.

North Bay: Ben Thomson – The gritty over-ager was acquired mid-season from Kitchener to be an impact playoff performer. He hasn’t let the Battalion down. Thomson is another player that’s annoying to play against. He’s not afraid to go to the dirty parts of the rink and grab a much-needed goal. Thomson had a goal and two assists in Games 1 and 2 – the two contests North Bay dictated the tempo – but failed to register a point at home. If North Bay is to succeed, they’ll have to get him going.

This was posted on Guelph site before game 5.  These were the only two players mentioned before the game. I'm not saying this elevates BT value, but I don't think we have a Ryzner, Tallackson type. 

• 2 weeks later...

Awhile ago I passed along a link about the Devils showing interest in a young Croatian forward playing in Finland, Borna Rendulic. According to this report he just signed a 2 year, 2 way deal with the Avs. Here's some interesting tidbits from the link:

During the previous years, NJ Devils have been preparing a couple of offers, while Rendulić personally spoke with the one of the most famous GMs in NHL history, Lou Lamoriello. Somewhat less determined were the Washington Capitals and Dallas Stars, while recently, Edmonton Oilers also expressed interest. The only firm offer, beside the one from Colorado, was the contract offer from Nashville Predators (also in the possession of the editorial office). However, Rendulić opted for Colorado, despite the Predators' offer being equally generous.

The things I find at 4 in the morning when I can't sleep... :P

Also, on the stats section of my blog I finally completed the NCAA portion. It includes the basic stats, separation of points by primary/secondary, and by situation (EV/PP/SH). I should have the CHL portion done soon. A few things that stand out to me for the NCAA guys:

-- Blake Coleman led Devils prospects in Pts/GP (1.04) and SH/GP (4.07) by a lot. He did have a really high 17.27 SH% though. 26 of his 28 points were primary and 20 of his 28 points were at even strength.

-- Scorer bias could be (and probably is) at play for blocked shots but for the Devils D prospects Santini led the way with 68 in 35 games, Gedig had 54 in 33 games, and Faust had 40 in 37 games.

-- Blake Pietila had a nice year transitioning to C with a 59.8% FO% (out of 587 FO). He put up 28 points in 39 games for a bad Michigan Tech team but had some interesting splits: 21 of his 28 points were primary, just 1 EVG with 15 EVA, and 7 PPG with 5 PPA. He did put up a decent 2.92 SH/GP.

Awhile ago I passed along a link about the Devils showing interest in a young Croatian forward playing in Finland, Borna Rendulic. According to this report he just signed a 2 year, 2 way deal with the Avs. Here's some interesting tidbits from the link:

The things I find at 4 in the morning when I can't sleep... :P

Also, on the stats section of my blog I finally completed the NCAA portion. It includes the basic stats, separation of points by primary/secondary, and by situation (EV/PP/SH). I should have the CHL portion done soon. A few things that stand out to me for the NCAA guys:

-- Blake Coleman led Devils prospects in Pts/GP (1.04) and SH/GP (4.07) by a lot. He did have a really high 17.27 SH% though. 26 of his 28 points were primary and 20 of his 28 points were at even strength.

-- Scorer bias could be (and probably is) at play for blocked shots but for the Devils D prospects Santini led the way with 68 in 35 games, Gedig had 54 in 33 games, and Faust had 40 in 37 games.

-- Blake Pietila had a nice year transitioning to C with a 59.8% FO% (out of 587 FO). He put up 28 points in 39 games for a bad Michigan Tech team but had some interesting splits: 21 of his 28 points were primary, just 1 EVG with 15 EVA, and 7 PPG with 5 PPA. He did put up a decent 2.92 SH/GP.

Nice work Fiesty! Looks like least productive is Rodwell.  Not sure what role he plays (4th liner I'm guessing) Wonder if Faust will get a tryout? He wasn't brought in at the years end, like Gedig

Apparently Thomson is nearing a deal too.  I guess you can say that the 2012 draft has been something of a success, with only two players not getting deals as of now.  Although I don't know the typical percentage of draft picks that at least get ELCs, as opposed to making it to the NHL.