2013-14 Prospect Thread

thefiestygoat

The Erat trade made no sense. However, the Caps are loaded with prospects including NHL ready Evgeni Kuznetsov if he ever comes over. He might be the best player outside the NHL. Washington must have great scouts. Their kids performed well at the NJEC. Riley Barber was on last year's gold medal team and has overachieved. Connor Carrick impressed this week as did Sergei Burakovsky and Christian Djoos. I did a write up on USA's 5-1 win over Canada. The Devils blueline could have a very different look in the future.

I don't like trading for just Erat - had they gotten a 2nd rounder along with it, it'd be more justifiable.

FWIW, and I do hate 1 to 1 comparisons, Berglund wasn't old for his year either.

It's hard to shop around a prospect because eventually people are going to figure out that you're not too happy with him.  I don't really care if he's the best non-Yakupov forward prospect - first off that's not true, Galcheynuk is really good, Terivainen just had a great Ivan Hlinka, Grigorenko looks to be pretty impressive, etc. - it's a question of how good an NHLer is he going to be?  

oh yeah, it seems Teuvo has become one of the most promising prospects from that draft. when I said that, I meant on draft day, Forsberg was ranked a bit higher. either way, it looks like I was mistaken, as it seems Grigorneko and Galchenyuk were generally ahead of Forsberg.

I know Bell is old for the CHL but I was surprised at his stats. 93 points in 69 games is pretty impressive. Then again it seems like a lot of older guys (Bell, Colin Smith) do well but are taken late in the draft. I hope we sign him to an ELC...he already has played 5 years in the WHL.

Atleast most of the few forward prospects specialize in scoring (Bell, Boucher, Gavrus).

I've also been hoping Lou would flip a D prospect for an equal prospect but at forward with a team skimpy in the D pipeline but beefed up up front. Something I would really want Lou to pursue. Merril, Urbom, and Gelinas are knocking on the door and Severson and Santini are not to far behind. I'm worried that most of these guys aren't even going to be given a chance unless the main squad bombs out early and it makes sense to play more than 1 of them. With the good reports about Santini and Severson I wouldn't mind moving Urbom if he doesn't beat out Gelinas/Merril out of camp.

I know Bell is old for the CHL but I was surprised at his stats. 93 points in 69 games is pretty impressive. Then again it seems like a lot of older guys (Bell, Colin Smith) do well but are taken late in the draft. I hope we sign him to an ELC...he already has played 5 years in the WHL.

Atleast most of the few forward prospects specialize in scoring (Bell, Boucher, Gavrus).

I've also been hoping Lou would flip a D prospect for an equal prospect but at forward with a team skimpy in the D pipeline but beefed up up front. Something I would really want Lou to pursue. Merril, Urbom, and Gelinas are knocking on the door and Severson and Santini are not to far behind. I'm worried that most of these guys aren't even going to be given a chance unless the main squad bombs out early and it makes sense to play more than 1 of them. With the good reports about Santini and Severson I wouldn't mind moving Urbom if he doesn't beat out Gelinas/Merril out of camp.

Urbom probably has the least value of any of the Devils' prospects that are at least plauisble future NHLers.  So I wouldn't expect to get too much in return.  Maybe some kind of deadline acquisition for a pretty good NHLer like when the Devils acquired Salvador for virtually nothing. 

• Like 1

You could probably get a guy around the value of where Nick Palmieri was 3 years ago for Urbom.  Given the Devils general shorthandedness at right wing, I'd be okay with that.  Would also be moderately okay with dumping him and some other reserve list trash for a 3rd round pick just to clear off the list - Bell needs an ELC and Pietila's competition just got a whole lot worse with the NCAA realignment so he might be signing too (his teammate Juhjar Khiara just signed with the Oilers).  

You could probably get a guy around the value of where Nick Palmieri was 3 years ago for Urbom.  Given the Devils general shorthandedness at right wing, I'd be okay with that.  Would also be moderately okay with dumping him and some other reserve list trash for a 3rd round pick just to clear off the list - Bell needs an ELC and Pietila's competition just got a whole lot worse with the NCAA realignment so he might be signing too (his teammate Juhjar Khiara just signed with the Oilers).  

Yeah Bell has gotten everything out of his time in juniors. I'm cautiously optimistic he could do well in Albany.

No love for Alabama-Huntsville? I suppose if the Devils are concerned about the competition Pietila will face they could try to see if they can get him to join his cousin Ben Johnson in Windsor whom I assume still hold his OHL rights.  Wouldn't have to worry about a reserve list spot too. I think it would be unlikely though since Pietila's in good standing with the US brass and jumping ship to the OHL may reflect poorly on him.

If anyone is interested here is how the NCAA now looks with realignment:

2013-14

Atlantic Hockey (12): Air Force, AIC, Army, Bentley, Canisius, Connecticut, Holy Cross, Mercyhurst, Niagara, Robert Morris, RIT, Sacred Heart

Big Ten (6): Michigan, Michigan State, Minnesota, Ohio State, Penn State, Wisconsin

ECAC Hockey (12): Brown, Clarkson, Colgate, Cornell, Dartmouth, Harvard, Princeton, Quinnipiac, Rensselaer, St. Lawrence, Union, Yale

Hockey East (11): Boston College, Boston University, Maine, Massachusetts, UMass Lowell, Merrimack, New Hampshire, Northeastern, Notre Dame, Providence, Vermont

NCHC (8): Colorado College, Denver, Miami, Minnesota Duluth, Nebraska-Omaha, North Dakota, St. Cloud State, Western Michigan

WCHA (10): Alabama-Huntsville, Alaska, Alaska Anchorage, Bemidji State, Bowling Green, Ferris State, Lake Superior State, Michigan Tech, Minnesota State, Northern Michigan

2014-15

Connecticut will move from Atlantic Hockey to Hockey East.

Edited by thefiestygoat

What does Pietila care about the US brass anymore?  I mean, maybe if he's an NHLer he'll get some World Championship invites, but that seems unlikely - he's not eligible for the U20 tournament anymore.  Also, it would be an overage season in Windsor - feel like he would go to the AHL instead.

None of those schools now in the WCHA have ever consistently produced NHLers.  Shame.

What does Pietila care about the US brass anymore?  I mean, maybe if he's an NHLer he'll get some World Championship invites, but that seems unlikely - he's not eligible for the U20 tournament anymore.  Also, it would be an overage season in Windsor - feel like he would go to the AHL instead.

None of those schools now in the WCHA have ever consistently produced NHLers.  Shame.

That's true now that I think about it. I had just finished a long day working outside and my head was still spinning a bit when I wrote that. Still for him to go to the AHL, he'd need the ELC and the reserve list gets even harder to manage. Just seems easier to keep him at Michigan Tech. I doubt the competition will hinder his development that much.

It's the most random thing in the world that Alabama-Huntsville has a Division 1 hockey program. I've always thought that was so strange.

Same here, and to think they nearly lost it a few years ago but somehow managed to save it. It would be nice to see college hockey grow in the south. I was a bit surprised when I was down there for the summer of 2009 and every now and then would see kids playing roller hockey or at the airport with their hockey gear heading off to tournaments or coming home from them. Apparently a lot of the Predators players and staff were scattered through the area I was in (Nashville, Brentwood, Franklin). It definitely seemed like an area where people could afford to put their kids into hockey too. I can definitely see the game growing down there.

Edited by thefiestygoat

Friday 8/16
KHL Preseason
Dinamo Minsk lost to Amur Khabarovsk 2-1 (SO)
Artur Gavrus C: No points, +/- and PIM not recorded

Saturday 8/17
QMJHL Preseason
Gatineau lost to Blainville-Boisbriand 5-4
Anthony Brodeur G: DNP

KHL Preseason
Dinamo Minsk lost to Spartak Moskva 5-1
Artur Gavrus C: No points, +/- and PIM not recorded

Sunday 8/18
QMJHL Preseason
Gatineau defeated Blainville-Boisbriand 3-2 (SO)
Anthony Brodeur G: 30:09 (Started), 14 Saves on 15 Shots

KHL Preseason
Dinamo Minsk defeated Neman Grodno* 3-1
Artur Gavrus C: Assist (PP)

*Gavrus spent the 1st half of last year with Neman Grodno of the BXL.

- Gavrus has been a consistent fixture on this line: Surovy-Gavrus-Irgl.

- Gavrus has played in 6 preseason games and has a goal and 3 assists.

Friday 8/23
QMJHL Preseason
Gatineau defeated Val-d'Or 4-3
Anthony Brodeur G: 60:00, 36 Saves on 39 Shots, 2 PIM (Delay of Game)

2 preseason games: 90:09, 50 Saves on 54 Shots

For Devils prospects the WHL preseason starts Tuesday and the OHL preseason starts next Saturday. Looks like Artur Gavrus and Dinamo Minsk have one more stop of preseason games (8/27-29) before opening KHL regular season 9/5.

Friday 8/23

QMJHL Preseason

Gatineau defeated Val-d'Or 4-3

Anthony Brodeur G: 60:00, 36 Saves on 39 Shots, 2 PIM (Delay of Game)

2 preseason games: 90:09, 50 Saves on 54 Shots

For Devils prospects the WHL preseason starts Tuesday and the OHL preseason starts next Saturday. Looks like Artur Gavrus and Dinamo Minsk have one more stop of preseason games (8/27-29) before opening KHL regular season 9/5.

I know it's only preseason but Brodeur is putting up some nice stats

Ben Johnson's bail conditions have been modified and he'll be allowed to play for Windsor this season.

blogs.windsorstar.com/2013/08/23/johnson-returns-to-spitfires-after-court-changes-bail-conditions/

Thanks for finding that, I was wondering what his latest status was.

---

Normally I try to post prospect lists since they are informative, but the NHL really just dropped the ball big time with their Devils Top 10. Somehow Severson and Santini aren't there but they have Pesonen and Burlon there! I don't think they even bothered to research the Devils prospect pool and put any thought into making this list.

I apologize in advance for this boring update. I promise it will get interesting soon.

Tuesday 8/27
KHL Preseason (Latvian Railway Cup)

Dinamo Minsk lost to SKA St. Petersburg 3-0
Artur Gavrus C: No idea if he played or how he did.

Ponikarovsky scored for SKA.

WHL Preseason
Swift Current defeated Moose Jaw 5-4
Graham Black C: DNP

Wednesday 8/28

Dinamo Minsk lost to HC Lev Praha 4-2
Artur Gavrus C: No points and +/-, PIM not recoreded

Friday 8/30

Dinamo Minsk defeated Ak Bars Kazan 2-1
Artur Gavrus C: No idea if he played or how he did.

QMJHL Preseason
Gatineau defeated Val-d'Or 6-0
Anthony Brodeur G: DNP

WHL Preseason
Kelowna defeated Kamloops 4-3
Damon Severson D: DNP

Windsor (Ben Johnson) open their preseason Saturday vs. Plymouth. Swift Current plays Edmonton and Kelowna takes on Vancouver in preseason action Saturday so I think it's likely Graham Black and Damon Severson see action then. I think Artur Gavrus and Dinamo Minsk have finished their preseason and they open the KHL season Thursday 9/5 against Dinamo Riga.

As noted earlier in this thread, Anthony Brodeur has gotten off to a strong start in QMJHL preseason play but as Buzzing the Net, courtesy of Le Droit points out, he hasn't faced tough competition:

New Jersey Devils draft pick Anthony Brodeur's 36-save night in a Gatineau Olympiques exhibition came vs. Val-d'or on a night when the 'Piques played four 16-year-olds and rested several veterans.

Saturday 8/31
OHL Preseason
Windsor tied Plymouth 5-5
Ben Johnson LW: Assist, 2 PIM (Holding)

The OHL doesn't have game sheets for preseason play like the QMJHL or WHL so I had to go off the Windsor twitter feed.

WHL Preseason
Swift Current defeated Edmonton 6-3
Graham Black C: 2 Assists (1 PP), +1, 2 PIM (High Sticking)

The game sheet listed Black as the captain. Not sure if this is a preseason thing or not. Regardless, he should be wearing a letter this year.

Kelowna lost to Vancouver 4-2
Damon Severson D: DNP
Myles Bell RW: DNP

Edited by thefiestygoat

Seems to indicate that Black isn't getting a pro contract this year and isn't going to be part of Albany.  I think that makes sense, unfortunately.  The fact that Reece Scarlett hasn't played either game might indicate that he won't be returning to Swift Current (which I'd always assumed)

Seems to indicate that Black isn't getting a pro contract this year and isn't going to be part of Albany. I think that makes sense, unfortunately. The fact that Reece Scarlett hasn't played either game might indicate that he won't be returning to Swift Current (which I'd always assumed)

If Scarlett turns pro, I wonder if his huge ice time is a factor. The Devils may want him taking a year to focus more on physical improvement than being worn out from such heavy playing time.

Updated the 8/31 post. According to Windsor's website, Johnson had an assist on the game tying goal.

I also think it makes sense to let Black spend another year in the WHL given how much he's had to battle just to get on the ice over the years. I was expecting Bell to go to Albany and still do, but Kelowna's radio guy seems to think there is a shot of him staying in Kelowna and getting another year of development as a forward before going pro. There is even some talk he may be captain if he ends up back there.

Updated the 8/31 post. According to Windsor's website, Johnson had an assist on the game tying goal.

I also think it makes sense to let Black spend another year in the WHL given how much he's had to battle just to get on the ice over the years. I was expecting Bell to go to Albany and still do, but Kelowna's radio guy seems to think there is a shot of him staying in Kelowna and getting another year of development as a forward before going pro. There is even some talk he may be captain if he ends up back there.

Good info fiesty.  I dunno, while it'd be nice for him to get more development as a forward in the WHL, he could do the same at the ECHL level.  Considering he is already doing really well at the WHL level as a forward, seems like he could be driven to some bad habits if he stays there.  The only advantages to Bell waiting a year is that if the Devils don't sign him until 2014, he gains another year of waiver ineligibility - if he signs this year or plays a pro game at all, he's waiver eligible in 2016-17, otherwise he's eligible in 2017-18.