2013-14 Prospect Thread

thefiestygoat

Good info fiesty.  I dunno, while it'd be nice for him to get more development as a forward in the WHL, he could do the same at the ECHL level.  Considering he is already doing really well at the WHL level as a forward, seems like he could be driven to some bad habits if he stays there.  The only advantages to Bell waiting a year is that if the Devils don't sign him until 2014, he gains another year of waiver ineligibility - if he signs this year or plays a pro game at all, he's waiver eligible in 2016-17, otherwise he's eligible in 2017-18.

I think we'll have a pretty good idea if he'll pan out as an nhl calibre player in that length of time.

Sunday 9/1
OHL Preseason
Kitchener defeated North Bay 5-2
Ben Thomson LW: I don't think he played.

WHL Preseason
Swift Current lost to Calgary 4-1
Graham Black C: DNP

Monday 9/2
OHL Preseason
Windsor defeated Plymouth 5-3
Ben Johnson LW: 2 Assists (1 SH)

Once again I had to go off Windsor's twitter feed so that info is limited and not official.

Tuesday 9/3
OHL Preseason
Kingston defeated Ottawa 4-1
C Ryan Kujawinski: At least a PPG if not more, *1st Star

He skated between LW Billy Jenkins and RW Sam Povorozniouk who both went undrafted in 2013 and will turn 19 this season.

I had to get the info from the Ottawa 67's twitter feed and I have the feeling Kujawinski had an assist or 2 but I can't confirm.

Wednesday 9/4
WHL Preseason
Swift Current defeated Saskatoon 9-4
Graham Black C: DNP

KHL regular season starts tomorrow.

I figured this was an article that triumph and other posters into advanced stats would enjoy: Ottawa 67′s embrace analytics, hiring sabermetrician Matt Pfeffer

Part of the reason the Ottawa 67's decided to tap into Pfeffer's powers of analysis was a study he published last season on TheScout.ca detailing which midget AAA programs are overrated and underrated at turning out future productive OHLers. One thing has led to another, namely that the 67's are joining the Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds by having the Trent University economics student become their resident sabermetrician, providing the team with advanced stats.

Pfeffer spent his at 67's training camp doing a practice run for the regular season, where he will oversee the tracking such data points as zone exits, zone entries and ice time. That will complement what coach-GM Chris Byrne, associate coach-assistant GM Misha Donskov and their staff see with their eyes and ears. It's a great leap forward in an OHL context, seeing how the league does not even publish individual shots on goal or faceoff stats.

Tuesday 9/3

OHL Preseason

Kingston defeated Ottawa 4-1

C Ryan Kujawinski: At least a PPG if not more, *1st Star

He skated between LW Billy Jenkins and RW Sam Povorozniouk who both went undrafted in 2013 and will turn 19 this season.

I had to get the info from the Ottawa 67's twitter feed and I have the feeling Kujawinski had an assist or 2 but I can't confirm.

Thanks for the info.

I'm not just saying this because he had a good game, but I'm really happy the Devils traded down to get Santini and Kujawinski. I've been doing a bit of research and watching some videos on him (Kuja), and I think he has potential to be a real good player in the future. He may even turn out better than Dauphin, the player everyone thought the Devils would take with their second round pick before it was traded.

Good info fiesty.  I dunno, while it'd be nice for him to get more development as a forward in the WHL, he could do the same at the ECHL level.  Considering he is already doing really well at the WHL level as a forward, seems like he could be driven to some bad habits if he stays there.  The only advantages to Bell waiting a year is that if the Devils don't sign him until 2014, he gains another year of waiver ineligibility - if he signs this year or plays a pro game at all, he's waiver eligible in 2016-17, otherwise he's eligible in 2017-18.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't there a limit to the amount of pro contracts that each team can have? 50 I believe. And don't the Devils have 48 or 49 players under contract? That might be why someone like Bell or Black aren't playing in the AHl.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't there a limit to the amount of pro contracts that each team can have? 50 I believe. And don't the Devils have 48 or 49 players under contract? That might be why someone like Bell or Black aren't playing in the AHl.

You are right. Each team can essentially have 50 contracts on their reserve list. Right now the Devils have 48. There is a way to go above 50 contracts and that is by having an ELC slide, which theoretically could happen to Matteau's and Severson's, though in reality, only Severson's should slide this year. For info on how a ELC's can slide, here is the link to the Cap Geek FAQ on it.

To get back to Bell and Black, the Devils may be up there in contracts but should have no problem fitting them in if they wanted to. I think Bell is likely to sign and get in the AHL since he's been in the WHL for 4 years already and needs the next step in his development. On the other hand, given Black's medical history, I think it's best for his development to have a 3rd WHL season - even though he's 20 like Bell.

Friday 9/6
QMJHL Preseason
Gatineau lost to Ottawa 4-1
Anthony Brodeur G: DNP

He did dress as the back up though. Maybe he'll play for Gatineau tomorrow before leaving for NJ.

OHL Preseason
Windsor lost to Sarnia 4-3
Ben Johnson LW: 5 PIM (Check from Behind)

Devils camp invite LW/C Remy Giftopoulos scored a goal, wore the C.

Kitchener lost to Sudbury 5-2
Ben Thomson LW: Doesn't look like he played.

Kingston defeated Oshawa 4-2
Ryan Kujawinski C: Goal (PP)

WHL Preseason
Kelowna defeated Kamloops 4-0
Damon Severson D: DNP
Myles Bell LW: DNP

Both Severson and Bell have probably made their way to NJ.

Saturday 9/7
QMJHL Preseason
Gatineau lost to Ottawa 4-1
Anthony Brodeur G: 21 Saves on 24 Shots

OHL Preseason
Windsor lost to Sarnia 6-2
Ben Johnson RW: Didn't do anything notable. Was RW on well regarded 2014 prospect, Josh Ho-Sang's line.

Kitchener lost to North Bay 4-1
Ben Thomson LW: DNP (Off to Devils Camp)

Kingston defeated Belleville 7-2
Ryan Kujawinski C: At least a goal.

Once again, it's hard to really get much info on the OHL preseason.

WHL Preseason
Swift Current lost to Medicine Hat 3-2
Graham Black C: DNP (Off to Devils Camp)

Kelowna defeated Vancouver 6-1
Damon Severson D: DNP (Off to Devils Camp)
Myles Bell LW: DNP (Off to Devils Camp)

I think Bell playing another year in the WHL could be a good thing since he has only played one year as a forward. I understand that this would be his 4th year but second  as a forward and a chance to really (potentially) dominate the WHL in scoring could be a good step for his confidence which, considering his past, could be a good thing for him before he turns pro.

Wednesday 9/11
OHL Preseason
Kingston defeated Oshawa 8-3
Ryan Kujawinski C: DNP (Devils Camp)

Thursday 9/12
KHL
Dinamo Minsk lost to HC Lev Praha 3-1
Artur Gavrus C: E, 1 Shot, 8/15 Faceoffs, 15:37 TOI

He was on a line with Zbynek Irgl and Konstantin Zakharov today.

Artur Gavrus Season Stats: 4 GP, 1-0-1, -1, 2 PIM, 1.5 SH/GP, 16.7 SH%, 41.9 FO%, 16:13 TOI/GP

Not related with our prospects but one of my buddy / kid i was coaching a few years ago got his first win as a goaltender in the Quebec major junior league for the St-John Seadogs against Moncton. Thats pretty cool

That's awesome! If you don't mind me asking, who was it?

----------------

Monday 9/16

KHL

Dinamo Minsk lost to Severstal 4-2

Artur Gavrus C: E, 1 Shot, 4/6 Faceoffs, 11:29

Season: 5 GP 1-0-1 -1 2 PIM 1.4 SH/GP 14.3 SH% 44.9 FO% 15:16 TOI/GP

On a line with Irgl and Zakharov again. His ice time slipped a bit recently, we'll have to see if that continues.

Obviously with Devils training camp going on, no prospects have played in preseason CHL action lately.

Not related with our prospects but one of my buddy / kid i was coaching a few years ago got his first win as a goaltender in the Quebec major junior league for the St-John Seadogs against Moncton. Thats pretty cool

Good stuff. 

That's awesome! If you don't mind me asking, who was it?

----------------

Monday 9/16

KHL

Dinamo Minsk lost to Severstal 4-2

Artur Gavrus C: E, 1 Shot, 4/6 Faceoffs, 11:29

Season: 5 GP 1-0-1 -1 2 PIM 1.4 SH/GP 14.3 SH% 44.9 FO% 15:16 TOI/GP

On a line with Irgl and Zakharov again. His ice time slipped a bit recently, we'll have to see if that continues.

Obviously with Devils training camp going on, no prospects have played in preseason CHL action lately.

Antoine Landry, he's 17

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=167027

http://www.saintjohnseadogs.com/roster/show/id/14507