Henrique?

SterioDesign

According to Henrique, they spoke last week and they are deciding between a long or short term deal.

I'm hoping it's a 4-5 year deal personally. Henrique could very well be the future of the franchise (besides Larsson) it should be important that he is locked up long term.

Dan, that was my point Lou isn't deciding, instead Henrique and his agent are deciding should they take a short term deal or a long term one.

They are negotiating... Lou most likely offered them a longer deal that would eat up some UFA time, and a shorter one for less money. Henrique wants the cash but doesn't want to miss lose UFA years. What is Lou supposed to decide there? Choosing between 2 offers doesn't mean you have any leverage. 

According to Henrique, they spoke last week and they are deciding between a long or short term deal.

I'm hoping it's a 4-5 year deal personally. Henrique could very well be the future of the franchise (besides Larsson) it should be important that he is locked up long term.

I agree Mazz, I think 4-5 years would be perfect for Henrique.

So um .... Hey what's going on....... A deal was supposed to be close twice.

This situation reminds me of a quote from the movie Snatch.

Turkish: How long with the sausages Charlie?

Charlie: 2 minutes Turkish.

(A few minutes pass)

Turkish :What's happening with them sausages, Charlie?

Charlie: Five minutes, Turkish.

Turkish :It was two minutes five minutes ago!!!!!

Sign him long term lets fvckin go here Lou Christ

There's 2 sides to a negotiation. Henrique himself said he and his agent were weighing a short and long term deal. RFA's take longer to sign. There's much less of a deadline to worry about and much less leverage.

Edited by Devil Dan 56

Sign him long term lets fvckin go here Lou Christ

I get the logic there, but we don't actually know how good he is yet. He wasn't projected THAT high, had 1 very good season and 1 disappointing season. I know you want to avoid the Zach situation, but there's something to be said for taking your time to evaluate a guy before committing a ton of time to him, especially with the cap.

I'm completely fascinated by americans and their interpretation of players having some (to me, seemingly random) playoff scoring success as proof of some innate intangible attribute known as "being clutch". Equally, a couple of bad games in the playoff also means that an otherwise proven elite player can be called a "choker" and useless.

I'm sure there are elements of playoffs games and the way they are played that can benefit a certain type of player, but it really seems like you guys blow the stats from these few games way out of proportion.

I'm completely fascinated by americans and their interpretation of players having some (to me, seemingly random) playoff scoring success as proof of some innate intangible attribute known as "being clutch". Equally, a couple of bad games in the playoff also means that an otherwise proven elite player can be called a "choker" and useless. I'm sure there are elements of playoffs games and the way they are played that can benefit a certain type of player, but it really seems like you guys blow the stats from these few games way out of proportion.

How is this an American phenomenon?  Most of the GMs in the league are Canadian, and I hear those GMs and Canadian fans talk about someone's playoff success or lack thereof. 

Don't know much about sports fans outside of North America, but judging by the absolute lunacy of lots of European soccer fans, I have to guess that belief in "clutchness" crosses all culturual lines.

European soccer leagues (besides the Champions league, which is a super-tournament) aren't decided by a playoff system, so I imagine that there's much less talk of being clutch.  I don't know where the clutch narrative has come from - I want to say baseball - but njdevsftw is right, it is awfully weird.

Edited by Triumph

European soccer leagues (besides the Champions league, which is a super-tournament) aren't decided by a playoff system, so I imagine that there's much less talk of being clutch.  I don't know where the clutch narrative has come from - I want to say baseball - but njdevsftw is right, it is awfully weird.

Can say from experience that Italians hated Baggio for missing that PK at the World Cup.  I guess that counts.

The clutch narrative comes from the fact that gettomg wrapped up in professional sports is an irrational activity to begin with.   When you realize that otherwise intelligent people can spend much of their disposable income on watching people they don't know play a game, belief in clutchness shouldn't be that surprising a phenomenon.

"Clutchness" is not a factor in sports debates here (in Europe) at all. Some of soccers greatest players have missed important penalty shots.. Baggio, Zico, Platini, Raul, Beckham, Ronaldo.. but that never translates into a debate over whether or not they, specifically, are more prone to crumble under pressure then others. (As a sidenote, the soccer World Cup and Champion League penalty shootouts seem to make everyone extremely nervous and non-clutch. :P )

I definitely think there are guys who are more "clutch" than others, and guys more prone to "choking" than others, but those labels probably get thrown around more often than they should. 

NHL goalies and NFL QBs seem to bear the brunt of those labels more than anyone else (in baseball and basketball, it seems to be more a select few superstars who get marked as clutch or choker, regardless of what position they play).  Tom Brady and Martin Brodeur are often thought of as clutch, but I've seen both of them have their share of tough times come playoff time.  Not knocking either one, as I'm a huge fan of both, but it seems like once you get a ring, it seems like you're almost labeled clutch by default, even if you perform like a "choker" before and after your championship (or even during).  Peyton Manning has still had a lot of disappointing playoff performances, but got the ring, so the sharks have pretty much laid off him since.

I brought this up with Triumph a while back, but it's not so much "clutch" for me, as it is some guys having "the knack".  The problem with the knack is that, though some guys seem to have it more than others, it's impossible to tell who will have it and who won't...overall talent and skill often doesn't seem to have that much to do with it.  ARod's repeated failings in the postseason have gotten a lot of mention through the years, but in 2009, he was an absolute beast.  As "unclutch" as he was in 2005, 2006, 2007, 2010, 2011, 2012 as a Yankee, he couldn't have been better in 2009.  Tri and the fans' MO who don't believe in the concept of clutch will always point out that playoff samples are always small ones, and that anyone can get hot or go cold in such small periods of time.  ARod played 5 playoff games in 2005, 4 in 2006, 4 in 2007, 9 in 2010, 5 in 2011, and 7 in 2012.  If you point out that collectively that all of those poor small samples combined show a guy prone to slumping at the worst times, you'll still get the "small sample response" (the six playoff seasons where ARod struggled is a total of 34 games played...not much over a fifth of a season).  Technically, it's not wrong, but I do think there are guys who handle the pressure of "big spots" better than others, and the guys who do that have a way of earning reputations as such.  I also think there are guys who clearly struggle with the spotlight.  But I also think there are guys who happen to be hot at the right times, others who are cold at the wrong ones, and it doesn't have anything to do with anything mental or physical, or being clutch or unclutch.  I think there's a kind of way to define the whole clutch/choker thing to a very limited extent, but it will always be a very hard entity to quantify, and will always be over-correlated to the player in question's team winning a title.        

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

If I'm a GM in any sport, I'd put little, if any premium on clutchness, except maybe for baseball where a particular player's performance is much less dependent on one's teammates.  I've always said that Peyton Manning, despite his perceived lack of clutchness, is the superior quarterback to Tom Brady.   With Brady, had he been thrown into the ringer immediately on a team bad enough to be picking number 1 overall, it's debatable whether he would have had a career of any note.  But you know with Manning that if you put him on any team, it's basically an automatic ten win season. 

In hockey, Lunqvist has a perceived lack of clutchness.  Is there really any question though that the Blackhawks would take him over Corey Crawford in a heartbeat (not accounting for things like age, salary demands, etc.).