Miller & Vanek on the block

SterioDesign

So rumours has been flying that those 2 are on the block, i wonder what the asking price is for Vanek now, and what it would be at the trade deadline if he's still in play and not somewhere else already. Of course i dont expect us go go after him and it would be very very not likely...BUT could you imagine if Lou could "somehow" pull a crazy stunt and get Vanek? We'd be a fvcking serious contender

of course thats crazy talk / thinking... but hey * offseason talk * of course to make a trade like that happen we'd have to send either Josefson and Henrique as a starter and add a lot more but just for the sake of staring at that forward lineup. 

Vanek - Loktionov - Kovalchuk

Elias - Zajac - Ryder

Clowe - Henrique - Zubrus

Olesz - Josefson - Carter

or 

Vanek - Zajac - Kovalchuk

Clowe - Elias - Ryder

Henrique - Loktionov - Zubrus

Tedenby - Gionta - Barch

Janssen - Pelley -  Sestito

C R A Z Y 

We would have needed to buy out Volchenkov FOR SURE to even try to make him fit under the cap though. 

for the record this is mostly a post simply to guess what the asking price is for those guys and not really us expecting Lou to make a move to get him lol We all know its crazy talk

I see Vanek being a deadline trade at this point. 

But for discussion purposes, you could probably ask Buffalo to take Salvador in return to make the money work for this season.  My guess is they'd probably want at least Henrique, one of the young defensemen and the first in 2015.  I wouldn't be opposed to that out of hand, but there would need to be some assurances of a contract extension, which you can do because Vanek is in the last year of his deal.

EDIT:  I completely forgot that Buffalo drafted Ristolainen and Zadorov, so maybe they don't feel they have use for another defensive prospect.

Edited by Daniel

this summer if they'd be willing to do Henrique + Urbom + 3rd conditional (1st if he re-sign) I'd fvcking do it in a second and never look back. Even throw Tedenby in the mix if you have to if thats not enough lol or if they'd want Boucher i'd look into it too. Vanek is a fvcking bomb.

lets say next season.

Clowe - Elias - Ryder

Matteau - Loktionov - Zubrus

Thats some scary sh!t. 

I asked this in the other thread and also said that w/o a first round pick to throw in somewhere, NJ's chances were limited. Then again, Lou works in mysterious ways. Do we have enough D prospects to throw at them? Would you guys be willing to give up Merill or Reid Boucher? I am not sure I would be.

this summer if they'd be willing to do Henrique + Urbom + 3rd conditional (1st if he re-sign) I'd fvcking do it in a second and never look back. Even throw Tedenby in the mix if you have to if thats not enough lol or if they'd want Boucher i'd look into it too. Vanek is a fvcking bomb.

lets say next season.

Clowe - Elias - Ryder

Matteau - Loktionov - Zubrus

Thats some scary sh!t.

You keep forgetting about Bernier in your lineup. No way does Someone get his spot on the 4th

I asked this in the other thread and also said that w/o a first round pick to throw in somewhere, NJ's chances were limited. Then again, Lou works in mysterious ways. Do we have enough D prospects to throw at them? Would you guys be willing to give up Merill or Reid Boucher? I am not sure I would be.

Apparently the first round pick was the deal breaker in the Bobby Ryan deal. Without a first it would be really hard to make a trade like this.

You keep forgetting about Bernier in your lineup. No way does Someone get his spot on the 4th

Apparently the first round pick was the deal breaker in the Bobby Ryan deal. Without a first it would be really hard to make a trade like this.

oh damn youre right, Bernier.

2014 doesn't look like a strong draft though.  I'd probably rather have a 2015 1st and have a shot at Connor McDavid.

NJ would have to throw away their future for this deal entirely, and Vanek is not that good, nor would I want him signed long-term into his 30s.  Pass.

Edited by Triumph

2014 doesn't look like a strong draft though.  I'd probably rather have a 2015 1st and have a shot at Connor McDavid.

NJ would have to throw away their future for this deal entirely, and Vanek is not that good, nor would I want him signed long-term into his 30s.  Pass.

Is 2015 all that good beyond Connor McDavid?  Still with the lottery system being what it is, you always have a shot at that if you miss the playoffs, which can happen to even the best on-paper teams.  So yeah, it's not a risk you can throw aside.

Wouldn't you kind of think that if this was doable Vanek would have been part of the Tallinder deal? I think it's not the sort of thing you bring up after the fact for either side "Oh hey, I forgot to mention during that last transaction..."  Vanek is hardly an afterthought.

Wouldn't you kind of think that if this was doable Vanek would have been part of the Tallinder deal? I think it's not the sort of thing you bring up after the fact for either side "Oh hey, I forgot to mention during that last transaction..."  Vanek is hardly an afterthought.

I had the same thought.

Is 2015 all that good beyond Connor McDavid?  Still with the lottery system being what it is, you always have a shot at that if you miss the playoffs, which can happen to even the best on-paper teams.  So yeah, it's not a risk you can throw aside.

Nobody can project a draft 2 years out.  The guys who would be drafted aren't even playing junior hockey yet (except McDavid who was granted exceptional status, and maybe a few guys in the WHL where the eligibility age is lower)

We just paid an aging Patty $16m.  Why not an aging Vanek?

Elias is one of the smartest players of his generation.  And NJ didn't take *that* much risk on the deal - it's only 3 years.  Vanek would be looking for at least 7 years, probably 8, which is a gigantic amount of risk to assume on a 30 year old pure scorer.  These guys have a way of going downhill fast.

Vanek has always been hot and cold. Was never a fan. He has a wicked wrist shot though. Feel like he's very similar to Ryder so we don't need two of them. I also agree the downslide might not be so pretty. I just wouldn't want to give up that much for someone who's 30+.

So the "get a prospect earlier who will be developed sooner" or "get an proven NHL player instead of a pick who might no pan out" arguments that you made yourself awhile ago for the Matteau's case and for this year draft are no good now... interesting.

So the "get a prospect earlier who will be developed sooner" or "get an proven NHL player instead of a pick who might no pan out" arguments that you made yourself awhile ago for the Matteau's case and for this year draft are no good now... interesting.

I don't think he's referring to the draft pick as much as the young talent -- Henrique, Gelinas, Merrill, whoever -- you'd have to give up in addition to the pick. 

Also, McDavid is not the type of prospect that might not pan out.  You never want to project to have the number 1 pick in two years, but with that kind of talent, you don't want to have the worst case scenario happen.

I don't think he's referring to the draft pick as much as the young talent -- Henrique, Gelinas, Merrill, whoever -- you'd have to give up in addition to the pick. 

Also, McDavid is not the type of prospect that might not pan out.  You never want to project to have the number 1 pick in two years, but with that kind of talent, you don't want to have the worst case scenario happen.

which is with the 2013 draft and Mcdavid in 2015 coming, it was a ridiculous move to not give up our 29th pick (Matteau). That was step 1 of maybe setting yourself up for the worst case scenario.

which is with the 2013 draft and Mcdavid in 2015 coming, it was a ridiculous move to not give up our 29th pick (Matteau). That was step 1 of maybe setting yourself up for the worst case scenario.

It's water under the bridge at this point.  There was a certain logic to keeping the pick, which, by the way, appears to have paid off in the short term, since Matteau actually played as an 18 year old.  Plus, there isn't a McDavid type talent to be had in 2014.  (I know you can't project drafts that far in advance, but you can usually tell if there will be superstar or generational talent at the top a few years in advance.  People knew this years top 3 or 4 picks would be good at least a couple of years ago). 

interesting, imagine tallinder and larsson... ok all the swedes, for miller and vanek.

no schnieder and instead maybe nichushkin or domi or horvat or lazar even

i was talking about getting schieder 3 years ago, now im not so sure.