RUMOR Jagr interested in Devils

Zubie#8

Bernie Nicholls asked for #98 when he arrived after Lou traded for him...Lou told him no.

Will Ryder get to wear 73 ?

I doubt it. Lou's reasoning seems to be based of off respect for accomplished players.. whom have a reasonable trajectory of being HOF material. Both Almo & Killer were accomplished players before coming to NJ. Likewise, few people realize\remember the impact of signing Stephane Richer for that matter.. thus; LL allowed him to keep his #44 aswell. His career tailored off when he came to Jersey (because players bought into playing the neutral-zone-trap) however, prior to that he was one of the best LWer's in the entire league! When the Devils got him, he was a already a 2x 50 goal scorer, a 3x NHL All-Star, and a Stanley Cup Champion.. and he was still only 25 years old!! I was estatic when we got him! --and he remains one of my all-time favorite players.

Will Ryder get to wear 73 ?

I doubt it. Lou's reasoning seems to be based of off respect for accomplished players.. whom have a reasonable trajectory of being HOF material. Both Almo & Killer were accomplished players before coming to NJ. Likewise, few people realizeremember the impact of signing Stephane Richer for that matter.. thus; LL allowed him to keep his #44 aswell. His career tailored off when he came to Jersey (because players bought into playing the neutral-zone-trap) however, prior to that he was one of the best LWer's in the entire league! When the Devils got him, he was a already a 2x 50 goal scorer, a 3x NHL All-Star, and a Stanley Cup Champion.. and he was still only 25 years old!! I was estatic when we got him! --and he remains one of my all-time favorite players.

It's off topic, but the trap doesn't necessarily sacrifice offense. It's just as much designed to create an effective counterattack. The problem is when both teams play it, it becomes a prisoners dilemma of sorts. Richer's point total actually went up compared to his last year in Montreal.

The reason scoring declined from the live puck era is 80 percent the result of better goaltending. Scoring is still nowhere near 80s level, despite all of the rules that are designed to create offense that didn't exist in the 80s (no red line, trapezoid, no head shots, just to name a few).

Sorry it's off topic, but I generally feel the need to respond to blaming everything on the trap.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Manta, you're treading on thin ice.  These stat geeks will cut you down in a heartbeat.  Because if Corsi says it's true, then it OBVIOUSLY is.  :doh1:   Nevermind that a "goal-scoring" player brought in at the trade deadline scored zero goals in the playoffs.

Of course, Krejci led the entire league in playoff points with 26 (next closest was 19), but according to the bible that is Corsi, he was terrible:  the 20th best player on the BRUINS.

Thanks Z, I totallly understand.   Clearly, no one would want Krejci in playoffs this year....his Corsi sucks.   Nimrods.  

I don't think that is what anyone is saying. All they are saying is Jagr still has enough left in the tank to be an effective player. Going into the playoffs, if you were told Boston is a finals team but jagr wouldn't score, you would have assumed be played AWFUL because that's his job, to score goals. All those numbers say is that while Jagr wasn't able to score, it doesn't mean he was totally out of place

Anyone watching the playoffs this year clearly saw that Jagr, doesn't have anything left in his tank he is two paces behind the play and ineffective on the PP.        

Anyone watching the playoffs this year clearly saw that Jagr, doesn't have anything left in his tank he is two paces behind the play and ineffective on the PP.        

Gonna have to say that this is what I thought, as well.

He's a scorer.  Sure, he hit his posts, and had his near misses, but 0 goals?  Come on.

And he did look horribly slow out there, at times.

I doubt it. Lou's reasoning seems to be based of off respect for accomplished players.. whom have a reasonable trajectory of being HOF material. Both Almo & Killer were accomplished players before coming to NJ. Likewise, few people realize\remember the impact of signing Stephane Richer for that matter.. thus; LL allowed him to keep his #44 aswell. His career tailored off when he came to Jersey (because players bought into playing the neutral-zone-trap) however, prior to that he was one of the best LWer's in the entire league! When the Devils got him, he was a already a 2x 50 goal scorer, a 3x NHL All-Star, and a Stanley Cup Champion.. and he was still only 25 years old!! I was estatic when we got him! --and he remains one of my all-time favorite players.

And to this day Richer is the last Montreal Canadiens player to score 50 goals in a season.

Meeting him three weeks ago was a thrill and glad I got his autograph and got to shook his hand. Wish there was a bigger turnout though.

I think it's quite simple. If you can get Jagr at a reasonable price for a one-year contract, then I believe it's worth the gamble. Personally, my take on his playoff performance was that while he didn't score any goals, he was invaluable at times cycling the puck down low and keeping the offense in the attacking zone. Yes, he's on the downside of his career and is slow. But utilized effectively, I think he can still contribute. But again, it all comes down to the contract. Also, if the Devils wind up having a crappy year, you can all but guarantee that the Devils can trade Jagr to some playoff contender - it happens every year like clockwork. So if the contract is reasonable (and this really should be the debate - what is reasonable?), it's really a fairly low-risk proposition.

It would probably best serve the organization to give Grandpa Jagr's theorectical ice time to a younger player who can develop for the long term, instead of renting a has been who is going to want several millions more than what he is worth.

Edited by MantaRay

Manta, you're treading on thin ice.  These stat geeks will cut you down in a heartbeat.  Because if Corsi says it's true, then it OBVIOUSLY is.  :doh1:   Nevermind that a "goal-scoring" player brought in at the trade deadline scored zero goals in the playoffs.

Of course, Krejci led the entire league in playoff points with 26 (next closest was 19), but according to the bible that is Corsi, he was terrible:  the 20th best player on the BRUINS.

Yes because that 1075 PDO is clearly sustainable. In Krejci's defense he took decently tough minutes. Once again, learn what these numbers mean before attacking them.

Sports Minded Unlimited in Warren, NJ on June 29th.  He was doing autographs for $20 a pop.  Line was quite short and almost everyone was at least 25-30 years old.

Did they intentionally keep this a secret??  I would have loved to see him and gotten an autograph.

Did they intentionally keep this a secret??  I would have loved to see him and gotten an autograph.

Seems that way.  The turnout for Claude Lemieux a couple months back the day before the Hurrican Sandy Charity game was pretty weak too.  Only slightly longer than the Richer signing.  I got to the Richer signing 10 minutes after it started and the line wait was only about 20 minutes.  Claude's price was $30 plus $10 for an inscription.

For some reason Sports Minded doesn't seem to promote the older players but promotes the hell out of players who attract the teeny-bopper crowd (Parise, Henrique, Clarkson, Zajac, etc).  The Salvador signing back in November was pretty pathetic as I got there when it started and I was about #15 in line.

Best part of the line was hearing the few 18-20 year olds asking their parents or older brothers who 'Richer" (they pronounced it like richer as in more money than) is.  SMH.

I think it's quite simple. If you can get Jagr at a reasonable price for a one-year contract, then I believe it's worth the gamble. Personally, my take on his playoff performance was that while he didn't score any goals, he was invaluable at times cycling the puck down low and keeping the offense in the attacking zone. Yes, he's on the downside of his career and is slow. But utilized effectively, I think he can still contribute. But again, it all comes down to the contract. Also, if the Devils wind up having a crappy year, you can all but guarantee that the Devils can trade Jagr to some playoff contender - it happens every year like clockwork. So if the contract is reasonable (and this really should be the debate - what is reasonable?), it's really a fairly low-risk proposition.

I actually like this concept.  Dallas managed to get a first rounder out of him. 

Seems that way.  The turnout for Claude Lemieux a couple months back the day before the Hurrican Sandy Charity game was pretty weak too.  Only slightly longer than the Richer signing.  I got to the Richer signing 10 minutes after it started and the line wait was only about 20 minutes.  Claude's price was $30 plus $10 for an inscription.

For some reason Sports Minded doesn't seem to promote the older players but promotes the hell out of players who attract the teeny-bopper crowd (Parise, Henrique, Clarkson, Zajac, etc).  The Salvador signing back in November was pretty pathetic as I got there when it started and I was about #15 in line.

Best part of the line was hearing the few 18-20 year olds asking their parents or older brothers who 'Richer" (they pronounced it like richer as in more money than) is.  SMH.

Ah bummer. I would have loved to have checked that out. I'll have to pay more attention to that place.

Edited by Devil Dan 56

I doubt it. Lou's reasoning seems to be based of off respect for accomplished players.. whom have a reasonable trajectory of being HOF material. Both Almo & Killer were accomplished players before coming to NJ. Likewise, few people realize\remember the impact of signing Stephane Richer for that matter.. thus; LL allowed him to keep his #44 aswell. His career tailored off when he came to Jersey (because players bought into playing the neutral-zone-trap) however, prior to that he was one of the best LWer's in the entire league! When the Devils got him, he was a already a 2x 50 goal scorer, a 3x NHL All-Star, and a Stanley Cup Champion.. and he was still only 25 years old!! I was estatic when we got him! --and he remains one of my all-time favorite players.

His career did not tail off when he came to NJ Beez. 

Six seasons with Montreal:  .888 points per game

First four seasons with NJ:  .895 points per game (he was more consistent in those first four seasons as well)

He suffered a major dropoff in production in his fifth season as a Devil, which most attribute to severe depression...Richer has since admitted that he has suffered from it throughout his life.

He didn't crack 50 goals (or even 40) with NJ, for whatever the reason.  I think part of it was that goaltending and defense were improving as a whole in the NHL, and the Live Puck Era was coming to an end...the days of the .870-.880 save% #1 goalies were starting to disappear when he came to NJ.  His SOG did fluctuate from season to season for both Montreal and NJ.  He has said part of the problem with Montreal was, once he scored 50 in 1987-88, he was expected to do it all of the time...he said teammates were constantly feeding him the puck when he wasn't in a position to do anything with it.  He also said the Montreal pressure was very difficult to deal with...he was very happy to come to NJ.     

His career did not tail off when he came to NJ Beez. 

Six seasons with Montreal:  .888 points per game

First four seasons with NJ:  .895 points per game (he was more consistent in those first four seasons as well)

He suffered a major dropoff in production in his fifth season as a Devil, which most attribute to severe depression...Richer has since admitted that he has suffered from it throughout his life.

He didn't crack 50 goals (or even 40) with NJ, for whatever the reason.  I think part of it was that goaltending and defense were improving as a whole in the NHL, and the Live Puck Era was coming to an end...the days of the .870-.880 save% #1 goalies were starting to disappear when he came to NJ.  His SOG did fluctuate from season to season for both Montreal and NJ.  He has said part of the problem with Montreal was, once he scored 50 in 1987-88, he was expected to do it all of the time...he said teammates were constantly feeding him the puck when he wasn't in a position to do anything with it.  He also said the Montreal pressure was very difficult to deal with...he was very happy to come to NJ.     

After he retired, Richer revealed he was receiving treatment for clincial depression.  Playing in Montreal is not great environment from someone with that condition.

It would probably best serve the organization to give Grandpa Jagr's theorectical ice time to a younger player who can develop for the long term, instead of renting a has been who is going to want several millions more than what he is worth.

Who? If we had an abundance of good young wings, I'd completely agree with you, but Matteau would benefit from a year in the AHL, Tedenby looks like a bust, and if DeBo ends up benching Gio, I don't think anybody would freak out too badly (much as I and some others like him as a person). I was in favor of the Tallinder trade for exactly that reason, but there are blueliners in the system who stood to gain from that.