Zids re-signed 1 year / 3m with Devils

SterioDesign

I love what Zids brings so that is awesome. Imagine we could dump one of Sal or Volch, what a dream that would be.

We reallllllly should have bought out Volchenkov. For what he's getting we could fine a better way to really use that money / roster spot

at this moment Merril, Gelinas, urbom and Severson just sent that text to one of their close friend "Arrrhhhhhh"

Edited by SterioDesign

One year deal makes me happy.  I would play it like this if I was coach: My assumption is that one or 2 of Sal/Volch/Zids will be on the DL at some point. Harrold (or possibly Fayne) will  get the "maintenance" fill in games for the regular lineup (maintenance can be for bumps and bruises or for being tired, old, and sh!tty) and when the inevitable DL stints happen we can bring up whoever is performing best for Albany at the time for a significant run with the big club.

My problem with Zid is he doesn't really pair up well with any of our other Dmen.

That's exactly what I was thinking. Zids plays an absolutely offensive minded game, and with a player like he, you'd like to play a shut down/stay at home defenseman. That is probably Volch and/or Salvador. The problem is if you pair Zids with one of them, then you're leaving a young defenseman that comes up paired in a lesser situation, and for a young guy, you want the best situation possible.

I just hope he can actually help the power play this year. It's the least he can do given how garbage he is at 5 on 5. Not really looking forward to watching him and Salvador fumble around their own zone again.

Safe to say this keeps the young guys like Urbom and Merrill in the AHL this year until injuries hit. I hope Harrold stays as the 7th man and they don't jerk around Larsson and Fayne again.

Not a Zid fan at all, for all of his offensive skill, he makes some of the worst turnovers in our end, and he is a huge defensive liability...

But I can live w/ a 1 year deal...  anyone know how much??

can we please release Vol now??

i'd like to imagine that if Lou made this move its that he's very confident that he can either 1 - move either volchenkov or Salvador or 2- There's a possible package could send a guy like Fayne ++ and bring back something decent.

There's no way we can go back in the season with 8dmen again, it was fvcking ridiculous

Edited by SterioDesign

Wow, this is a great move by Lou.   Work the kids in slowly, but allows Larsson to take Talinders minutes and more responsibility.

I am actually very excited for this team right now.

Same, I like this signing. Still kind of bummed that Tallinder had to be the one to go, but I can deal with it. 

I haven't felt this excited about a Devils team in a very long time!

i'd like to imagine that if Lou made this move its that he's very confident that he can either 1 - move either volchenkov or Salvador or 2- There's a possible package could send a guy like Fayne ++ and bring back something decent.

There's no way we can go back in the season with 8dmen again, it was fvcking ridiculous

Devils only have 7 NHL defenseman.  I don't think that Volchenkov, Salvador, or Zidlicky are likely to go through the whole season without missing some games and it's not unusual for any defenseman to end up missing a handful of games.

So the Devils keep the 7 NHL guys on the roster, rotating Harrold in for rest breaks every ones in a while, but when you need a defenseman to fill in for 3-5 or more games, that's when you bring up whomever is playing the best in the minors.

A trade could be coming, but the Devils aren't running with 8 defenseman right now, they're running with 7.

no trade necessary at this time

greene-larsson

salvador-zidlicky

volchenkov-fayne

harrold

if any of the four kids (gelinas, merril, severson or urbom) impress enough at camp, they'll have made their way into the top 6 and then a trade might happen. i could also see lou go with tedenby/barch/harrold as the 3 regular scratches and use the kids as injury callups (which will assuredly happen). it doesn't make sense to pencil in one of those 4 as a #6 or a #7 right now.

Devils only have 7 NHL defenseman.  I don't think that Volchenkov, Salvador, or Zidlicky are likely to go through the whole season without missing some games and it's not unusual for any defenseman to end up missing a handful of games.

So the Devils keep the 7 NHL guys on the roster, rotating Harrold in for rest breaks every ones in a while, but when you need a defenseman to fill in for 3-5 or more games, that's when you bring up whomever is playing the best in the minors.

A trade could be coming, but the Devils aren't running with 8 defenseman right now, they're running with 7.

thats true i keep forgetting (somehow) that Tallinder is gone lol