Kovalchuk Retired Effective Immediately?

GoArmySports

Wonder when exactly Kovy/his agent broke the news and/or Lou et al saw this coming?  Really weird timing unless this was a complete surprise to everyone. EDIT: Just the statement from Lou that they had been talking about this for the past year. 

Agree that the Devils have no choice but to let him go.  I'd rather have the cap room to spend on someone who wants to play here. 

Edited by Jmorc2003

I nearly choked when I learned the news. Was speechless for a good while. Can't believe. I loved the guy and he's just a fvcking Judas. Can't remember the last time I was shocked like that in my life.

Lou should've made the fvcker rot. I mean, LL is gutsy. He fought the league all-summer long to make that deal happen. He argued the hell out of the St. Louis Blues in the 90's to get Stevens out of there. Now he just lets Kovalchuk go like this... Dude, you have 12 years left on the contract and we're paying you fvcking 100 million. Stop bullsh!tting... Nah, we should just let him go.

I defended him everytime someone told me he was greedy and only signed with NJ for money. I have never been as disappointed in anyone as I am in him. Can't get my sh!t together now, can't do anything else other than browse hockey web. Much like I did in the summer of 2010...

Can we hang his number upside down or something?

I've only bought two player jerseys since my Stevens jersey.

They are:

Parise and Kovalchuk

So I'll go ahead and take the blame for them being gone.

On the bright side, if you want any other players gone I'll be glad to make the purchase.

another thing who pissed me off is that he waited AFTER fvcking free agency to tell lou...  im sure Lou would have done things differently.

No - trust me, Lou knew about this and that it was coming.  Him not releasing the info until now is the REASON why we were able to sign some free agents.  If this came out a week before July 5, then NJ would truly have been screwed.

While I hate this, and it's horrific... the per year penalty is only 250k (very small).  It won't prevent us from spending to the cap in the future and get some bodies in there that can help.  However, it will kill attendance this season which could be very detrimental to the franchise at the moment.

The timing could of been better. But I seriously don't know what you guys are crying about. This couldn't be any better for The Devils. I'm not about to post a long list right now, but the dude was absolute garbage. I hated him his entire time here. We went to the cup in spite of him. Not because of him.

Give me cap room back. Maybe, just maybe, get our first rounder back. And I am a happy camper. I'm dead serious about this, and I'm not attacking anyone on here. I just don't understand how anyone can't see this as good. Trust me. Its good!

Yes, cap space is just beautiful, beacuse Lou usually does wonder with it and he can now sign Ryan fvcking Clowe to a 15 year 7 million contract!

The timing could of been better. But I seriously don't know what you guys are crying about. This couldn't be any better for The Devils. I'm not about to post a long list right now, but the dude was absolute garbage. I hated him his entire time here. We went to the cup in spite of him. Not because of him.

Give me cap room back. Maybe, just maybe, get our first rounder back. And I am a happy camper. I'm dead serious about this, and I'm not attacking anyone on here. I just don't understand how anyone can't see this as good. Trust me. Its good!

He was our best forward in those playoffs, and has been since he got here.  How you can say that we got to the Cup IN SPITE of him is beyond me.  That being said, there is a benefit to it 5 or so years down the road because of the cap hit and contract situation, but short term we are screwed (and just in time to give up our first round pick in 2014). 

Lou's a classy guy, we know he wouldn't do that. But really, how could we have benefited? It's not like he was going to come back a year or two off. I'm sure Lou said a few curse words, took a breath and came to the quick realization that we will all eventually come too in that all we can really do is move; although the fan base is obviously justified in being outraged for a few weeks.

It's gonna be more than a few weeks before I'm less mad than I am right now. This is horrifying to the level that I may need to just not come back to the board for months, not buy NHL 14 and basically block out the NHL from my mind for a while before I'll come back to Earth on this one.

I feel sadder than when a family pet dies and more enraged then when you find out your GF is banging some other dude. You can always buy another cat, find another chick, but this is hockey; I'll probably spend more time thinking about, watching, listening to, reading about hockey than I will doing almost anything else besides sleep.

I went from not a fan of Kovy to really wanting to like him, to defending him because he seemed to buy in, now he leaves and I'm more hurt than I have been about any player leaving this team than I ever have been. I want to vomit.

Moving on...

I dont think this effected the Parise thing at all.  If it hurt his ego - well so what?

I hope we get to keep the pick.

At VERY first glance I was shocked.  But then that stupid video of him dancing kept running through my head. He's never acted happy here. Oh well. He has no loyalty to anyone so what the hell :noclue:  Again - if someone wants to leave that badly they're not a big loss.  Hope vanderbeek is happy.  Lou probably has a pocket full of I told you so to hand him  <_<

what happens when sometime down the line Kovy decides he wants back in the NHL?

He will probably have to get special permission from league. I doubt he would get it or that he would even want to play in the NHL again though, short of a KHL collapse.

Moving on...

I dont think this effected the Parise thing at all. If it hurt his ego - well so what?

I hope we get to keep the pick.

At VERY first glance I was shocked. But then that stupid video of him dancing kept running through my head. He's never acted happy here. Oh well. He has no loyalty to anyone so what the hell :noclue: Again - if someone wants to leave that badly they're not a big loss. Hope vanderbeek is happy. Lou probably has a pocket full of I told you so to hand him <_<

I agree with you about Parise, he was leaving no matter what.

i cant even get drunk as fvck i have to be in court tomorrow morning for a speeding ticket... sigh...

fvck shoudl never bee that drunk anyhow. (edit:  yee gads have I been drinking?)

I'm so sorry Sterio :(  Heeey draw/paint an evil Kovy!  It really might make you feel better -- and frankly I'd love to see you post it here :lol:  Don't make him look Satanic - just sickly and dissipated. 

Edited by Pepperkorn