Kovalchuk Retired Effective Immediately?

GoArmySports

Wow, just got back from work to find out this? Arguably my favorite NHL player on my favorite team bolts just like that? Some of you can shrug this off all you want, unless Lou pulls a rabbit out of his hat this is  gonna be detrimental to the franchise, and not just on the ice either. Oates has a fair point to be fair; the Devils should have marketed him more so they can't escape any blame, but damn...

With all due respect, Marv this is a setback not a franchise ending move or anything. It's not like we traded Gretzky for Jimmy Carson.

Look at it this way, Kovy was awesome, but we're a club that flourishes better when we have a solid roster of 20 goal scorers. Out of Kovy's tenure here we missed the playoffs 2 out of 4 seasons.

Wow, I came here to share my fan grief with other fans, but I'm stunned by what I'm reading. Some are actually wishing a plane crash, or death??? Wtf people. It's a GAME. The fact that everyone is pissed answers the question whether or not he performed with us. He is an elite player, for sure, but life moves on. Be grateful we have one of the best gms in all of sports. We'll be alright. For those wishing death, I'd suggest you get help. It's embarrassing to read comments like that from Devils fans.

• Like 2

Was listening to NHL radio. Some caller in Saskatchewan said that we were in trouble losing Kovy because our "dwindling fanbase would continue to dwinle, JVB will be in even worse financial trouble and then we'll be moved to Quebec." Some people.

That was a gag on a rangers blog post first.  We just lost our 5 season ticket holders.

The fact that we didn't know, doesn't mean management didn't know about this.

This offseason we traded for one of the top goalies on the league and signed a couple of the best available free agents. This is what made you feel so optimistic, but these very same unusual (for us) signings and trades are (to me) a sign that LL knew what Kovalchuk would do long ago. Also, you have to think that at least Ryder ended up coming here partly because of #17. In Schneider's case...guess what, in 2 years you just became the face of the franchise.

He also announced it just as our cap space was small and with Henrique and Josefson still un-extended.

It's not his fault we lose next year's pick. First it'd be Bettman's fault for imposing that penalty in the first place, then also Lou's fault for not giving up that 29th pick.

It's also not his fault Parise didn't sign here. We had the cap space, the team, and the run to the Cup; he simply wanted to go play in his hometown with his boyfriend.

This absolutely sucks, and I understand that many feel betrayed, but I do think this was known by management before the season, before free agency...

I'm going to go Moneyball here and say you can't straight up replace Kovalchuk and his minutes and production, but you can build a winning team with the right pieces. This definitively got my mood down, but I'm not ready to say this is franchise ending as some have said. Let's see what happens in the next week...better yet, let's see what happens on the ice.

I'm going to go Moneyball here and say you can't straight up replace Kovalchuk and his minutes and production, but you can build a winning team with the right pieces. This definitively got my mood down, but I'm not ready to say this is franchise ending as some have said. Let's see what happens in the next week...better yet, let's see what happens on the ice.

Too bad we haven't even really replaced Parise yet.  We came as close as we were going to get with Ryder short-term, but now they have to replace Kovalsuck too.  And we still have zip, zilch and nothing aside from Boucher and Matteau in the system. 

Now I'm glad we didn't draft the Russian scorer though, I'd rather draft another undersized Swede than deal with the moody, ruble-hungry Russians.

• Like 1

So how is this not Clarkson's fault?  Actually it all harkens back to that turncoat Parise.  If he hadn't left to go home to mama.... HEY -- yeah!!!  It's all Sutter's fault!!!  Everyone just admired his nutless manhood and went home to mommy.

Seriously though - you know Clarkson talking up playing for home made Ilya weep into the Wudkuh on nightly crying jags.  "Aye shood hchhev dun det.  Chhhaye Shood hev sayd Fahk dem - I ees playing in Rrroosha...I chehhhm Cleeeahrson - I go home now."

Too bad we haven't even really replaced Parise yet.  We came as close as we were going to get with Ryder short-term, but now they have to replace Kovalsuck too.  And we still have zip, zilch and nothing aside from Boucher and Matteau in the system. 

Now I'm glad we didn't draft the Russian scorer though, I'd rather draft another undersized Swede than deal with the moody, ruble-hungry Russians.

Clearly there's nothing in our system...and again, who's damn fault is that. My point is still the same, you can't replace those guys with one player. We can't go crazy and really give everything to get Vanek or something like that. PDB should know what he needs to make it happen. We won 3 Cups without a 50 goal scorer and Kovalchuk won 0 while scoring 50 goals.

If we add a couple guys that are improvements over what we currently have we'll be ok (and now we have the cap space to do so). We have better goaltending, Clowe is an improvement over Clarkson (imo), we can extend Henrique and hopefully he'll bounce back from his sophomore wall, Ryder will do his thing....

Just not ready to write this season off yet.

lol

Edited by cubanjd305

I know people are all emo tonight, but Kovy has absolutely nothing to do with us forfeiting the 1st round pick.. If you want to put that on someone you need to look to Bettman and the league, or to LL for circumventing the cap, if you agree with the leagues logic..

Nonsense. He had every bit of a role as Vanderbeek did in us forfeiting the 1st round pick.  He wanted the money, the marquee contract, the headlines, the ego boost.  It was a 50/50, takes two to tango type of situation.

Devils did not have close to the package to acquire him. Unless you wanted to deal 9, Henrique and Merril

this was not really the package that they gave up for him.

Nonsense. He had every bit of a role as Vanderbeek did in us forfeiting the 1st round pick.  He wanted the money, the marquee contract, the headlines, the ego boost.  It was a 50/50, takes two to tango type of situation.

don't agree.  a player doesn't offer a contract, a team does.  he signed it, but it's up to the team to offer a legal contract.

It boggles my mind that there can be no legal ramifications for just up-and-leaving 2 years after legally binding yourself to the franchise for 15.

Look on the bright side: Would you really want to have a player here out of contractual obligation? I doubt you'd get a best effort night in and night out.

It boggles my mind that there can be no legal ramifications for just up-and-leaving 2 years after legally binding yourself to the franchise for 15.

According to reports the Devils could of blocked him from going to the KHL but that would open up another can of worms so they just signed off on letting him go.

We save $56 million over the next 5 years. Hopefully Lou can allocate those dollars effectively.