Kovalchuk Retired Effective Immediately?

GoArmySports

It boggles my mind that there can be no legal ramifications for just up-and-leaving 2 years after legally binding yourself to the franchise for 15.

He retired and the team complied with it.

I'm not even sure much would come out of it if the team DIDN'T comply with it.   I don't think the KHL cares and I don't think the IIHF is very strong, nor does the IIHF particularly like the NHL in the first place.

Maybe they could sue them in the US/Canada and go after their NA assets.   Big deal.   Who knows what Kovalchuk is going to make total value (home, living expenses, perks, stuff you can't get in the NHL)... it'd be a drop in the bucket and probably covered anyway.

The only bright side to this is we have quite a bit of cap space now. The bad news is trading for a legitimate top six threat/offer sheets is realistically off the table and the remaining UFA list is thin.

I say sign Jagr for a year and sign Grabo. Move Henrique to wing and see where that goes.

Henrique-Lotki-Jagr

Elias-Zajac-Ryder

Clowe-Grabo-Zubrus

CBGB

Extras: Olesz and Josefson.

That's not a bad team people...

Edited by TheMazz

Clearly there's nothing in our system...and again, who's damn fault is that. My point is still the same, you can't replace those guys with one player. We can't go crazy and really give everything to get Vanek or something like that. PDB should know what he needs to make it happen. We won 3 Cups without a 50 goal scorer and Kovalchuk won 0 while scoring 50 goals.

If we add a couple guys that are improvements over what we currently have we'll be ok (and now we have the cap space to do so). We have better goaltending, Clowe is an improvement over Clarkson (imo), we can extend Henrique and hopefully he'll bounce back from his sophomore wall, Ryder will do his thing....

Just not ready to write this season off yet.

lol

I like this guy!

The only bright side to this is we have quite a bit of cap space now. The bad news is trading for a legitimate top six threat/offer sheets is realistically off the table and the remaining UFA list is thin.

I say sign Jagr for a year and sign Grabo. Move Henrique to wing and see where that goes.

Henrique-Lokti-Jagr

Elias-Zajac-Ryder

Clowe-Grabo-Zubrus

CBGB

Extras: Olesz and Josefson.

That's not a bad team people...

Dude, Jagr and Grabovski are not even at the top of that UFA list. I suggest you look at it again. It's not as thin as you think.

this was not really the package that they gave up for him.

don't agree.  a player doesn't offer a contract, a team does.  he signed it, but it's up to the team to offer a legal contract.

That's fine.  But I feel differently.

Will this add more fuel to the fire between the NHL/KHL? I'm not exactly up to date on foreign diplomacy between the leagues, but I can't imagine this helps.

IMO, it's on.    I'd be shocked if someone else doesn't jump.   Just because from the KHL's point of view, the teams in the "western conference" (whatever they call it), need to compete with SKA.

IMO, it's on.    I'd be shocked if someone else doesn't jump.   Just because from the KHL's point of view, the teams in the "western conference" (whatever they call it), need to compete with SKA.

The Devils let Kovalchuk walk.  Another team will not let a player walk.

Edited by Triumph

The Devils let Kovalchuk walk.  Another team will not let a player walk.

But, what will actually happen if a player goes AWOL and plays in the KHL.    From a hockey standpoint.   They get sued and lose NA assets?   I don't think there's any mechanism that can stop it when the league they're going to doesn't give a sh!t.   And the IIHF is weak.

it's not good for the NHL when star (scoring) players get up and leave for another league

Exactly I think this is more embarassing for the NHL when compared to the Devils at this point.

Betmann cost us Kovalchuk without a doubt. If Kovy doesn't lose 40% of his pay for this past truncated season because of the lockout he probably stays and today would of just been another slow summer news day.

The cap recapture was only $250K and it would of been a hell of a lot worse if he would of done this three years from now because of the way the contract was structured so at least there's that.

• Like 1

But, what will actually happen if a player goes AWOL and plays in the KHL.    From a hockey standpoint.   They get sued and lose NA assets?   I don't think there's any mechanism that can stop it when the league they're going to doesn't give a sh!t.   And the IIHF is weak.

'The league' in this case is represented by the Devils.  Daly said the league doesn't care because it's between a team and a player.

i'd add... another team wouldnt let 3 top players walk within 2 years

lol whatever.  this is just going to get you even more riled and you're already at a level 9 panic at all times.

'The league' in this case is represented by the Devils.  Daly said the league doesn't care because it's between a team and a player.

lol whatever.  this is just going to get you even more riled and you're already at a level 9 panic at all times.

mehh not that bad i just like to argue

I mean honestly what is the league or the Devils going to do? They can sue for some sort of breach, but I'm sure Medvedev would have no problem helping Kovy pay whatever settlement since he has an enormous hard-on for Ilya. ou can't put the guy in jail and would Kovy really be all that effective if he was forced to play here?

I'm talking about the KHL.   The KHL doesn't give a sh!t.   If Dynamo goes and offers Ovechkin $20m per + benefits and he "retires", there is nothing to stop him from playing for Dynamo.   Sure, the Caps can say "WTF is this?", say no, and sue for damages, but where's the stick?   The IIHF isn't going to let him play in Sochi?   Sure they will when push comes to shove.  They can't keep him from playing for Dynamo. The NHL says "fine, we're not sending the Canadians and Americans (the only two federations they have any power over)?"   The PA may not agree with that and the other Euros may just take a leave to go play anyway.

I don't see what the actual sanction is for this, other than the relationship between the NHL and the IIHF and the NHL and the KHL deteriorating.

Hockey-wise, at least.

mehh not that bad i just like to argue

Its a big problem that daly doesn't care. It just gives more evidence that the nhl is not the premier hockey league in the world. It would be like mlb players regularly leaving to play in caribbean leagues. But I'm sure bettman and company doesn't care considering that they have done a whole to ruin the league.

I'm talking about the KHL.   The KHL doesn't give a sh!t.   If Dynamo goes and offers Ovechkin $20m per + benefits and he "retires", there is nothing to stop him from playing for Dynamo.   Sure, the Caps can say "WTF is this?", say no, and sue for damages, but where's the stick?   The IIHF isn't going to let him play in Sochi?   Sure they will when push comes to shove.  They can't keep him from playing for Dynamo. The NHL says "fine, we're not sending the Canadians and Americans (the only two federations they have any power over)?"   The PA may not agree with that and the other Euros may just take a leave to go play anyway.

I don't see what the actual sanction is for this, other than the relationship between the NHL and the IIHF and the NHL and the KHL deteriorating.

Hockey-wise, at least.

Exactly. Those surly Russians don't really have to follow any rules if they don't feel like it.

Its a big problem that daly doesn't care. It just gives more evidence that the nhl is not the premier hockey league in the world. It would be like mlb players regularly leaving to play in caribbean leagues. But I'm sure bettman and company doesn't care considering that they have done a whole to ruin the league.

Disagree. The NHL is still the premiere league in the world. The Gagarin cup is like a little league trophy compared to Lord Stanley.

Furthermore you're not going to see the likes of Patrick Kane or Steven Stamkos running off to go play in St. Petersberg or Moscow. The KHL only really cares about Eatern European players. Since the fall of the Soviet Union, nationalism has mushroomed in former bloc countries.

Hockey-wise, at least.

I don't think they stop a guy from playing in Sochi, but we'll see about 2018.  I really don't think a player wants to challenge this.

Exactly. Those surly Russians don't really have to follow any rules if they don't feel like it.

And if the US and Canadians send amateurs, it just means they're more likely to win the Olympics in the first place.   And puts the NHL in a bad spot with the other federations who may want their NHL players to show up.

I don't think they stop a guy from playing in Sochi, but we'll see about 2018.  I really don't think a player wants to challenge this.

The NHL may be out in 2018.   To me there's just really no stick if a player chooses to jump.

I really wouldn't be surprised if the same thing happens with Ovechkin in the next few weeks.