Kovalchuk Retired Effective Immediately?

GoArmySports

Stars of all nationalities sell the league Matteau.  I agree in that the NHL will survive, but this is the first time that, if you consider MLB, the NFL, the NBA and the NHL the four "big" North American sports leagues, that another league in the KHL is actually becoming a thorn in the side of one of them.  Kovy is really kind of a first...there's international stars in the other leagues, but they all want to come play in the North American leagues.  Some of the top Japanese baseball players want to come HERE if so inclined (US ballplayers that couldn't cut it in MLB go over there, almost as a last resort).  There's very nice money to be made in European basketball leagues, but their top players want to play in the NBA, and our top NBA players don't want to go there...same as some ballplayers who go to Japan, some fringe or lesser NBA players go to those leagues and play better (with more playing time) against the lesser competition for more dollars than they would get here. 

I think when it comes to star players we're willing to pay to see, I don't think we really care where they come from.  It doesn't matter that Kovy is Russian; it matters that he was a dynamic player that was well-known throughout the league and helped sell tickets.  It's a loss. 

If a European basketball league ever started up with the money behind the KHL, you would start seeing a few European stars stay home.  With baseball, very few Japanese players come here as opposed to with hockey and even less were real stars. Ichiro, Matsui, Nomo, that's about it.  If they had left in the middle of their prime, MLB wouldn't skip a beat.

I mean, a few days ago it was actually going to be quite important that they used a compliance buyout on Hedberg.

Supposedly Lou and co knew about Kovy leaving for weeks.

I don't buy the theory they pushed him out the door one bit, if they were going to do it at all it would have been after next year after they try not to forfeit a top ten pick.

Russians, as such, leaving won't hurt, so much as talent and draws for certain markets could suffer.  Caps' attendance and general interest was dreadful before Ovechkin arrived.  I lived in DC from 2001 to 2004.  I remember there was a spike in interest when Jagr arrived, but otherwise, walking around the city and listening to sports talk radio there, you wouldn't think the Caps existed, and that was with a Wizards team that was awful, and no baseball team.  I went back a few years ago, and Ovechkin jerseys all over the place.  If Ovechkin left tomorrow, and especially if it hurt in the standings, that sell out streak they've had will end pretty quickly.  On the other hand, Datsyuk could leave, and so long as the Wings are a good team or just not dreadful, people in Michigan will still watch.

On a national level, I don't think it'll matter so much.  The brand name national sports networks barely follow it at all, Russians or no Russians.  If you want to use it as some indicator of the national sports psyche, however lame it is, the Mike and Mike show is still talking about the friggin' NBA.  They talked about the Blackhawks for all of ten minutes, and then it was right back to Lebron. 

Then of course there's Canada.  They sell out arenas to watch 16 year olds.  I don't think they care if the best Russian players are in the KHL.

Very few markets.  If ALL the Russian players got up and left today, the only team that would take a hit is the Caps.  Penguins would suffer talent-wise obviously, but that franchise lives and dies with Crosby.  I don't see it happening, though. There is money for the superstar (malkin, ovechkin, kovalchuk), however even the 2nd tier superstar is going to make a lot more $ playing here.

As far as ESPN, the only time I watch ESPN is for Monday Night Football and only when the Giants are playing.  I do not expect the NHL to ever get the media attention given to the other 3.  Like you said, losing Russians won't change it.  

I hope the rest of the Russian stars at least entertain the idea of leaving for the KHL

Scare this stupid league into never locking out again.

It won't scare anyone.  Only way league would get scared is if the best Canadians started heading over.  Look at the draft this year.  I think there were less than 10 Russians drafted this year.

Supposedly Lou and co knew about Kovy leaving for weeks.

I don't buy the theory they pushed him out the door one bit, if they were going to do it at all it would have been after next year after they try not to forfeit a top ten pick.

The pick is a sunk cost - paying $11M to recover a sunk cost is quite asinine.  Not to mention if Schneider does what he should, they shouldn't be close to that bad.

http://www.travelandescape.ca/2013/07/russia-says-it-will-arrest-openly-gay-tourists/

In a throwback to the country’s authoritarian ruling, Russian president Vladimir Putin has signed a controversial law that punishes people for “homosexual propaganda.” The law fines people—including tourists—up to 200,000 rubles ($6,240 CDN) for “propaganda of non-traditional sexual relations.”

They might have a case against Kovy since he just got finished banging the Devils in the ass.

• Like 1

He couldnt have waited a few years to go play in russia? Its not like its going anywhere.

By the way, for the longest while yesterday ESPN had this story as a little side header on their sh!tty website. What a joke of a network. Even worse than ESPN is the two NY tabloid papers. The Post just pulled the AP story, truncated it, and buried it deep in their sports section lol (at least the online version). Disgusting.

Oh, and his retirement now makes that 'Will Kovy Re-Sign' HOF-thread seem pathetic

Edited by devlman

Get your tinfoil hats out, conspiracy theory coming in:

I still can't imagine why Lou would sign the papers and leave Kovy scott free to sign anywhere he pleases outside the NHL.  It just makes no sense; Lou's being majorly taken advantage of if he just decided to do it to be a "good guy".  Hockey is a business, and that's not how business works.

Here's the conspiracy:  someone from the KHL essentially paid Vanerbeek off.  It's no secret he's not exactly wealthy anymore, and it's no secret there's a stupidly large amount of money in the KHL between a few owners.  It could easily be quietly done, and Lou would have no say in the matter if JVB gave the orders.

I know it's absolute nonsense, but hey, why not share it?  It sounds just as absurd to me as the theory that Lou didn't want to sign Kovy in the first place.

Edited by Devilsfan118

Get your tin hats out, conspiracy theory coming in:

I still can't imagine why Lou would sign the papers and leave Kovy scott free to sign anywhere he pleases outside the NHL.  It just makes no sense; Lou's being majorly taken advantage of if he just decided to do it to be a "good guy".  Hockey is a business, and that's not how business works.

Here's the conspiracy:  someone from the KHL essentially bought Vanerbeek out.  It's no secret he's not exactly wealthy anymore, and it's no secret there's a stupidly large amount of money in the KHL between a few owners.  it could easily be quietly done, and Lou would have no say in the matter if JVB gave the orders.

I know it's absolute nonsense, but hey, why not share it?  It sounds just as absurd to me as the theory that Lou didn't want to sign Kovy in the first place.

Equally likely conspiracy theory is the Devils think Kovy's back is shot and are secretly relieved to get out of his contract.

Get your tin hats out, conspiracy theory coming in:

Here's the conspiracy:  someone from the KHL essentially paid Vanerbeek off.  It's no secret he's not exactly wealthy anymore, and it's no secret there's a stupidly large amount of money in the KHL between a few owners.  It could easily be quietly done, and Lou would have no say in the matter if JVB gave the orders.

Or maybe Kovy just said "Fvck it, I'm leaving and there's nothing you can do about it." Occam's Razor and all.

Although I'm not a conspiracy theorist if this actually happened I believe that is a great thing for the organization.

Get your tinfoil hats out, conspiracy theory coming in:

Why is this so hard to understand? Kovy was not going to play for the Devils anymore. period. Lou tolling the contract just drags the matter out, makes it a distraction going forward, brings up more drama between the hockey leagues, potentially impacts the Olympics and for what? On the off chance Kovy was going to change his mind and come back to play for the Devils again? 

Plus consider this, if he did toll the contract, and the KHL for whatever reason decided to honor it and not let Kovy play, at the start of any season Kovy could just show up to camp collect his 77m sit on the bench and play Sudoku for 82 games a year.

No thanks. Glad Lou has his head on straight.

• Like 1

Why is this so hard to understand? Kovy was not going to play for the Devils anymore. period. Lou tolling the contract just drags the matter out, makes it a distraction going forward, brings up more drama between the hockey leagues, potentially impacts the Olympics and for what? On the off chance Kovy was going to change his mind and come back to play for the Devils again? 

Plus consider this, if he did toll the contract, and the KHL for whatever reason decided to honor it and not let Kovy play, at the start of any season Kovy could just show up to camp collect his 77m sit on the bench and play Sudoku for 82 games a year.

No thanks. Glad Lou has his head on straight.

Agree.  I don't even know why this is a discussion