Kovalchuk Retired Effective Immediately?

GoArmySports

http://www.sovsport.ru/news/text-item/624108

apparently that article is saying that Kovalchuk's siter Arina said he'd return to the NHL in 3 years? not sure how legit is that but thats not the point that im posting it.

Let's say he'd want to come back... how would you take it if he does? how would you treat him? treat him as a crowd?

Personally, I would hope all the other 29 teams would vote to allow him back and then the Devils say "screw you, stay in Russia" and block him. If he wanted to go there so bad now then he can stay there for the rest of his career.

• Like 1

apparently that article is saying that Kovalchuk's siter Arina said he'd return to the NHL in 3 years? not sure how legit is that but thats not the point that im posting it.

Let's say he'd want to come back... how would you take it if he does? how would you treat him? treat him as a crowd?

It was very hard, but he is a responsible person, put up some points, did not want to break the contract. The club is no more cup of ambition. Elijah as an athlete wants to win and win titles.

Can someone further translate this? (google translated the article) Is this saying the devils are no longer a cup contender and kovy wants to win a tittle?

Interesting information. I wonder if part of Kovy's decision was that he realized he would be locked into a long term contract with a team that might not win a Stanley Cup during his tenure. You have to wonder what he was thinking with Parise leaving last year and Clarkson leaving this year.

Interesting information. I wonder if part of Kovy's decision was that he realized he would be locked into a long term contract with a team that might not win a Stanley Cup during his tenure. You have to wonder what he was thinking with Parise leaving last year and Clarkson leaving this year.

IDK, im still betting 5 dollarbucks that his wife is behind this whole thing.  She seems pretty high maintenance.  Add that to the fact his kids aren't even in schools yet (nothing holding them here).  She prob. put lots of pressure on him during the lockout.  Makes no sense to just up and leave even if there was no parise.  He showed how much he wanted it in the playoffs, got a taste, and was soo close.  You just don't throw that all away.  

Edited by jonnyd91

I agree with you about that, but if we were football fans in Boston, we'd be surrounded by bandwagoners who don't know sh!t and started watching around '01.

But if bledsoe or Brady had mysteriously retired out of the blue, the Boston media would have given that a lot more than a passing mention. Part of being a good sports town is having media which covers all sports in the market.

He wouldn't dare show his face in the NHL again. Edited by devlman

Matthau, Mouse, Bro, I understand your point. There are numerous passionate hockey fans in this market. You and I are two of them. However, we are a small percentage, and that's my point. If we lived in Boston, we'd fit in more as hockey is actually covered and discussed amongst the average man.

I think what you are doing is grading the market on a curve.  You see it as a baseball market, then basketball, then football, and hockey a very distant 4th. No, it is not as good for hockey as it is for the other 3.  To me, I just try to look at from a hockey stand point only without regards to the other 3 sports.  Like I said, I don't bother reading the newspaper.  Buy them only on mondays and tuesdays during football season.  I run the pools at work and need to get the spreads.  Gambling sites are blocked at work.  I'll watch MSG to get GIants and Rangers news.  Watch NFL/NHL Network to get news about the whole league.

They all come back when their usefulness runs out.   Radulov, Svitov, the whole lot of them will play in the NHL again, when they're washed out.

According to Daly, Kovalchuk belongs to the Devils until the end of the 2018 season.

They all come back when their usefulness runs out.   Radulov, Svitov, the whole lot of them will play in the NHL again, when they're washed out.

According to Daly, Kovalchuk belongs to the Devils until the end of the 2018 season.

If this is true, he'll be 35 or so.  Rag$ would give up their 1st round pick for him!  Lou may even bring him back. Also, it'll be a new contract as well. Atleast he'll be an asset.

regarding his return cross that bridge when it happens. There could be lots of reasons he took off or combinations. I have read 1) possible ownership change for the Devils 2) 50% taxes between USA and NJ. 3) he didn't think the Devils were competitive enough to win a cup 4) he wants to play in Russia for Russia and the Olympics 5) it's about earning net money so he comes back to the NHL after 3 years in Russia and collects again 6) Elias doesn't like him 7) he had to play defense 8) he had to play RW and any combination. The facts are that he is gone and Lou knew his feelings about the subject. When he played in Russia during the lockout he had fun and was scoring at a high rate of success. He didn't want to return, he was forced to via the agreement between the NHL and KHL plus Lou made a concession to allow him to ply in the KHL all star game, this pissed off Elias. We, the fans, weren't paying attention so we were surprised.

6) Elias doesn't like him

He didn't want to return, he was forced to via the agreement between the NHL and KHL plus Lou made a concession to allow him to ply in the KHL all star game, this pissed off Elias. We, the fans, weren't paying attention so we were surprised.

Yep...that is why I posted in another thread that at least Patty won't be mad that "he" won't be late for camp again!

You just got the feeling that all wasn't OK in his mind especially with his comments about how he would love to stay in the KHL but he couldn't.

Sent from my Galaxy TAB using Tapatalk 2

to me its a mix of a LOT of things, all the lockout bullsh!t, the raised escrow, NJ losing some top players, seeing Salvador getting the C before him, having fun in russia during lockout and having the president telling him the world would be his if he stays making all the  promises. All the taxes he saves. about 50m apparently? (not sure if legit)

i still think it's against the NHL and not against NJ that he did it but still a coward move to do.

Absolutely...agree that it wasn't just one thing, I was worried when those reports started coming out while he was playing for SKA that he wished he could stay there and people were saying it was missed translations.

Sent from my Galaxy TAB using Tapatalk 2

to me its a mix of a LOT of things, all the lockout bullsh!t, the raised escrow, NJ losing some top players, seeing Salvador getting the C before him, having fun in russia during lockout and having the president telling him the world would be his if he stays making all the promises. All the taxes he saves. about 50m apparently? (not sure if legit)

i still think it's against the NHL and not against NJ that he did it but still a coward move to do.

Looking back it looks like the player already had a feeling of his intent to go back so they didn't give him the captaincy.

you cant even read that link its in russian ... and as far as having faith in the team can you seriously really blame him? i mean from his point of view the team couldnt win one game with out him in the line up can you imagine what kind of a weight that must have been on that mans shoulders... im sure it was obviously alot of different reasons that made him want to leave but sounds like he had one hell of a stressful job here.. wish someone could elaborate more on what was ment by he plans on coming back to the nhl?

you cant even read that link its in russian ... and as far as having faith in the team can you seriously really blame him? i mean from his point of view the team couldnt win one game with out him in the line up can you imagine what kind of a weight that must have been on that mans shoulders... im sure it was obviously alot of different reasons that made him want to leave but sounds like he had one hell of a stressful job here.. wish someone could elaborate more on what was ment by he plans on coming back to the nhl?

He did have a stressful job. That's why he was given a $100 million contract.

People need to stop searching for hidden meanings. I wouldn't believe a word his family said. His reason for leaving was simply huge money and fame in his home country. 

Edited by Devil Dan 56

And part of the reason the team was bad was HIS contract. I've said this before, but he wanted his cake and to eat it too. He chose to take the big payday, to the detriment of the organization, then ran from the organization when he got a better deal. He'll get away with it (obviously), but it says a lot about his character.

That's a joke. The team went out and stacked up for a run at the Cup and Kovalchuk decided to leave because he didn't think they could win? I hope Pete puts that sh!t up on the bulletin board and leaves it there all year. This fvcking loser leaves an organization that knows nothing but winning, and is committed to winning, to go play for a fvcking wall plaque over in Russia because 'he wants to win'? Tell ya what, if we win the Cup, I think we should have Elias go over there with it and spend a day at Kovy's house. Just have Patty sit in the back yard with the Cup while he reads the paper, checks his e-mail, has a beer, etc. Don't say anything. Just sit there. This guy is something else. Obviously this was about mostly money, but if he really believes that, then he's a bigger piece of sh!t than I thought.

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 1